• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Game Informer Info [Update 2: Multiplayer Jobs (Co-op/PvP) Post 892]

Ellis Kim

Banned
All of this Tomb Raider hype has gotten to me, and reminded me of the Gametap stuff they did a few years back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVYycCqGaEk

The original URL portal is now dead (duh), but it was a pretty epic website. I wish someone had archived it or something.

But they had an episode in "Ten Years of Tomb Raider Gametap Retrospective" that was entirely dedicated to the present and past models of Lara Croft, which I was reminded of in the OP's mentioning of no more models:

4l6s89.jpg

http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tombraideranniversary/laracroft_models_01.html

Skilletor

LyR said:
maybe he meant the gameplay will fail ...

Then I'm glad I'm a gamer who will wait and see rather than commenting upon vague concepts of a game's debut in a magazine.

CD have made 4 good Tomb Raider games. They've garnered my faith that this won't disappoint.

Sectus

I like the sound of more open level design, but this worries me a bit:
The lock on targeting system is gone and it now has a free aim system. CD says that it can compete with any of their competitors.
What competitors? Tomb Raider series has been pretty alone for a long while now. If they're talking about games like Uncharted I'm worried. I do not want 80% of this game to be combat.

Also I'm not too keen about going all mature with gory deaths and silent hill-esque enemies, but oh well. I wish they had just continued working on what worked well in Tomb Raider Underworld. If they had made another game like that minus the stupid stuff (bad combat, stupid story and bad level design near end of game), then that would easily have been the best in the series.

LyR

Banned
after getting tons of pm's ... here they're

*derp derp derp derp*

if it's really not allowed ... just edit my post and remove the links instead of banning me

Vinci

Danish
I'm not quite as pessimistic as Dice or Cow, but I have to say that nothing in that really inspires much excitement. I mean, it's like folks haven't learned to read between bullet points when it comes to video games.

That said, I'd like to see a trailer and hear more details.

IoCaster

Gold Member
Sounds shit. I guess I can scratch another franchise off the list.

F.E.A.R.
Dragon Age
Splinter Cell
Tomb Raider

No thanks, I'll pass.

Salaadin

Vinci said:
I'm not quite as pessimistic as Dice or Cow, but I have to say that nothing in that really inspires much excitement. I mean, it's like folks haven't learned to read between bullet points when it comes to video games.

That said, I'd like to see a trailer and hear more details.

I think the excitement is coming from the fact that, at the very least, CD has given us 3 great Tomb Raider games plus a great remake of another. Reboots aside, we are excited just to be getting another TR game from them.

Then you start factoring in the open world, free aim, upgrading abilties and other ideas that just make sense for the series combined with the formula that CD has been tweaking over the years, I find it hard to not get excited.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm excited, but despite being primarily an action/FPS gamer, I don't like gore. :(

I will definitely have to play the game safe. I don't want her to get hurt.

Adam J.

I wonder if they will use this Lara model, and whoever does her voice, in the next game in the Lara Croft series.

Stallion Free said:
Horrible idea, you just removed all of the platforming and puzzles.
Plus Tomb Raider.

jett said:
It sounds much more like a Metroidvania-type game.
Yeah.

I like the idea of the eating/drinking and (hopefully) wound-dressing.
Maybe not to an extreme extent, but just so it's believable here and there.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Adam J. said:
I wonder if they will use this Lara model, and whoever does her voice, in the next game in the Lara Croft series.

This one would need to sell well before that'd be determined, I imagine.

Ellis Kim

Banned
I like how she looks!

I've been waiting for the female equivalent to generic brown-haired white dude! :D

Except hot! CD would make me a happy man if they pandered to the audience by letting you customize her hair style (like how Ninja Gaiden Sigma1+2 does :lol). The scan with her hair looking short (its probably just a bad image) has me kinda excited :x

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm wondering, why would they come out with something like Lara Croft GOL if they're trying to create a more realistic franchise? And completely reboot it, from Lara herself, to the type of game it is?

I hope GOL-ish games continue, maybe with a new lead.

I've played every TR to date and, if I enjoyed those games, I'm sure this one will blow me away from the sound of it. I got a huge Arkham Asylum feeling from the description. That's a good thing. Can't wait!

Lyphen said:
I'm wondering, why would they come out with something like Lara Croft GOL if they're trying to create a more realistic franchise? And completely reboot it, from Lara herself, to the type of game it is?

I hope GOL-ish games continue, maybe with a new lead.

GoL didn't have the Tomb Raider name on it at all. It was just a Lara Croft title.

Evolved1

Ellis Kim said:
I like how she looks!

I've been waiting for the female equivalent to generic brown-haired white dude! :D

Except hot! CD would make me a happy man if they pandered to the audience by letting you customize her hair style (like how Ninja Gaiden Sigma1+2 does :lol)

Just speculation, but that seems unlikely. Ponytail makes the most sense, given the setting... And even though they've rebooted, I think that style (iconic, since TR:2) is a way for CD to pay homage to the original character, w/o sacrificing their new vision.

Ellis Kim

Banned
recklessmind said:
Just speculation, but that seems unlikely. Ponytail makes the most sense, given the setting... And even though they've rebooted, I think that style (iconic, since TR:2) is a way for CD to pay homage to the original character, w/o sacrificing their new vision.
Well, the game could start off with her hair in the iconic ponytail or whatever, but it would be smart of CD if they let you (the player) take some ownership of her as a character by personalizing her, in the way someone might personalize an RPG character's appearance, throughout the game at the various hub locations. Like, maybe talk with one of the marooned hair stylists, and bam, hair customization.

edit: omg @ rengoku's avatar :lol :lol :lol

Evolved1

Ellis Kim said:
Well, the game could start off with her hair in the iconic ponytail or whatever, but it would be smart of CD if they let you (the player) take some ownership of her as a character by personalizing her, in the way someone might personalize an RPG character's appearance, throughout the game.

Honestly I'd be surprised if they even let you switch outfits in this one.

edit: omg @ rengoku's avatar :lol :lol :lol

Haha yeah that was pretty good.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
SolidSnakex said:
GoL didn't have the Tomb Raider name on it at all. It was just a Lara Croft title.
They just stated they're recreating the entire brand, which includes Lara herself. I don't see why they'd be working on an off shoot that is reminiscent of the older brand at the same time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lyphen said:
They just stated they're recreating the entire brand, which includes Lara herself. I don't see why they'd be working on an off shoot that is reminiscent of the older brand at the same time.
Judging by the earlier rumors that seem to match up with everything else, there are still tombs on the island and there's definitely supernatural stuff.

It's not supposed to be entirely realistic, just more realistic.

Ellis Kim

Banned
recklessmind said:
Honestly I'd be surprised if they even let you switch outfits in this one.
The tone definitely suggests a more serious approach, that's for sure. But CD must not lose sight of the fact that she's still a lady, and has a notable female fanbase (or at least used to).

Evolved1

Ellis Kim said:
But CD must not lose sight of the fact that she's still a lady, and has a notable female fanbase (or at least used to).

The only way this post isn't offensive is if you're female, and even then it's borderline.

I bet a higher % of guys bought the outfit DLC than women.

This information doesn't sound assuring at all. It sounds like the death of a franchise in order to appeal to the most common denominator. New shooting mechanics, open world, and upgrade paths. I don't care to see Lara die in gruesome ways. I wanted exotic environments, elaborate puzzles, ingenuous level design, and that cerebral experience I don't get from any other video game series. Tomb Raider is pretty much the last of its kind.

Ellis Kim

Banned
recklessmind said:
The only way this post isn't offensive is if you're female, and even then it's borderline.

I bet a higher % of guys bought the outfit DLC than women.
:lol :lol

There was outfit dlc? :S

I'm just speaking from a marketing perspective, and you know how those guys are. No one ever lost money on treating their customers like they were stupid, or however it is that the idiom goes.

the pre-teen lara cartoon i just watched evoked that post, ok? :<

kylej

Banned
IoCaster said:
Sounds shit. I guess I can scratch another franchise off the list.

F.E.A.R.
Dragon Age
Splinter Cell
Tomb Raider

No thanks, I'll pass.

Haters will be destroyed when this is released.

probune

I don't understand the hype. Most people didn't really care about the other Tomb Raiders but suddenly this one is going to be amazing. I liked all of them, therefore I want to play this one.

Actually a lot of this stuff reminds me of what Core Design was trying with Angel of Darkness. But that game sucked mostly because Core failed at delivering everything. Crystal Dynamics makes fun games. I think they can make it cool.

Oneself

Sounds quite interesting except that "gathering food & water" part. I hate that type of things in games.
Make it hyper realistic (bathroom meter, need a bath gauge, fatigue % whatever) or leave those things completely out.

kylej

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
lol at the previous haters who suddenly think Tomb Raider is awesome.

People have hated on every TR this gen because they don't play them and only think of the previous-gen turds. Just gotta roll with it I suppose.

Skilletor

probune said:
I don't understand the hype. Most people didn't really care about the other Tomb Raiders but suddenly this one is going to be amazing. I liked all of them, therefore I want to play this one.

Actually a lot of this stuff reminds me of what Core Design was trying with Angel of Darkness. But that game sucked mostly because Core failed at delivering everything. Crystal Dynamics makes fun games. I think they can make it cool.

What hype? It's a three page thread with differing opinions. Most people who care about Tomb Raider/have played CD's recent offerings seem to want to play this, others don't.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
kylej said:
People have hated on every TR this gen because they don't play them and only think of the previous-gen turds. Just gotta roll with it I suppose.
It makes me sad that people just blow off excellent games because they know *shit* about games.

I mean, Anniversary was a goddamn remake if I ever saw one. The brilliance that is St. Francis' Folly recreated is matched by very few games. It's easily in my top 5 all time favorite levels ever.

Top Bottom