• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Game Informer Info [Update 2: Multiplayer Jobs (Co-op/PvP) Post 892]

UrbanRats

I <3 Memes said:
Yeah you missed the guy that got banned for posting scans in this thread. They were too blurry to really see anything anyway.
Ok, managed to see them now.

Uhm, they do look very good, but i don't want to pump my hype bar up ever again, after too much burns. :lol
I mean that's just how gaming is, they always sounds incredible from facts sheets, when the games do come out though, either half of those features are toned down in scale or not present altogether.
Beign a die hard TR fan make this all the more difficult.
Stallion Free said:
Their proprietary engine that they built is just as good.
We have to see how it handles sandboxes, though.
As Deus Ex:HR is not really a Sand box, AFAIK.

JDS 1977

Banned
Looks pretty awesome. I love the concept and the new Lara as well.
I'm also not thrilled about QTEs though. It totally takes you out of the fun and ramps up my stress level playing Simon with the controller.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Sounds cool but at its core, TR is about mystery and exploration. I hope this isn't too heavily compromised by the brutality and survival aspects. I like the idea of Lara Croft meets Lost.

StuBurns

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
People care?
It's pretty strange though, it'd be like saying Duke Nucrom or something. She's a very famous video game character.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where they make fun of English names that are similar to what they frame as normal names.

Poona

Skilletor said:
Why do people still misspell Lara?

I still get surprised too. It isn't just a different spelling like Linda/Lynda when the names are the same, just different spelling it is actually a different name altogether. Laura and Lara are pronounced differently.

After all these years it is somewhat like calling Mario, Marco or Marie or something.

sn00zer said:
TBH earlier games were pretty brutal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUVsC6VrhN0
although brutality being a feature is a bit worrisome...eh whatever

Ah that video brings back so many great memories of TR3. It was one of my first ever games so it will always have a special place in my gaming library. The variety of settings in the game was absolutely fantastic - India, Nevada, London, Antarctica, all brilliant. And afterwards going to Egypt for the entirety of Revelations was both refreshing yet familiar - that game perfected the Egyptian archaeology stereotype, and few games since have managed to recreate the same feeling of exploration.

I really wish they would go back and update all of these old games because the grid-based platforming and terrible controls (by today's standards) make them almost unplayable now. I guess we can't complain because we finally have the new Tomb Raider which is going in the full blown survival / camp out in the woods direction that we always hoped it would.

Skilletor

I NEED SCISSORS said:
But TR3/4 was already that.

TR3/4 completely reinvented the franchise? I'm pretty sure they just modified the already existing formula including retaining shitty block controls.

Skilletor said:
TR3/4 completely reinvented the franchise? I'm pretty sure they just modified the already existing formula including retaining shitty block controls.

Thought he meant just plain best entry in the franchise.

(I will say that REmake is the best Resident Evil, shitty tank controls and all)

Skilletor

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Thought he meant just plain best entry in the franchise.

(I will say that REmake is the best Resident Evil, shitty tank controls and all)

REmake still has tank controls? :(

I was going to play that...

Skilletor said:
REmake still has tank controls? :(

I was going to play that...

Please still do - it's one of the few genuinely scary games out there and the pre-rendered graphics still hold up very well today. Persevere with the controls and appreciate the best remake ever made!

Skilletor

StuBurns said:
Indeed it does, Code Veronica does too if that was tempting you.

I played Code Veronica back on DC. I just got a Wii (never owned a gamecube) and was going to pick up a bunch of games I missed, REmake being one of those.

StuBurns

Banned
Skilletor said:
I played Code Veronica back on DC. I just got a Wii (never owned a gamecube) and was going to pick up a bunch of games I missed, REmake being one of those.
Getting to play the Prime games for the first time? I envy you deeply.

UrbanRats

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Ah that video brings back so many great memories of TR3. It was one of my first ever games so it will always have a special place in my gaming library. The variety of settings in the game was absolutely fantastic - India, Nevada, London, Antarctica, all brilliant. And afterwards going to Egypt for the entirety of Revelations was both refreshing yet familiar - that game perfected the Egyptian archaeology stereotype, and few games since have managed to recreate the same feeling of exploration.

I really wish they would go back and update all of these old games because the grid-based platforming and terrible controls (by today's standards) make them almost unplayable now. I guess we can't complain because we finally have the new Tomb Raider which is going in the full blown survival / camp out in the woods direction that we always hoped it would.
Actually, Nevada and London felt out of place, IMO.
I like how in Underworld they've thrown out of the window all the non tomb levels(aside from a little part on the boat).
I hated the Kazakhstan/London levels of TR Legend, too.

Skilletor

StuBurns said:
Getting to play the Prime games for the first time? I envy you deeply.

Metroid Prime was the first game I picked up, but I kind of want to get the trilogy for Wii. Too bad it's so expensive :(

Varna

All of this just sounds incredible. I just hope they give us proper difficulty options for those of us who wants the survival elements to be intense.

I hope the pc versions turns out well!

forrest

formerly nacire
Cannot unsee!

karatecroftpex8.jpg

forrest

formerly nacire
Many of the features look very similar to me. Ralph Machio is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the shot. I do like the direction however.

I hate GTA style open world games now. RDR bored me by the time I got to finish the game.

But if it's similar in vein to Arkham Asylum then I'm game.

TripOpt55

I like the new Lara in the scans. She looks great. Hard to make much else out due to the quality though. Hopefully, I get my magazine tomorrow.

Brashnir

FunkyPajamas said:
Unless for some reason you though Ralph Macchio was Hilary Swank. In which case... well... I don't know.

Mr. Miyagi couldn't tell them apart either. It's a common mistake.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Saw the scans, she looks a bit younger than 21, 18-19ish as well as shorter, still looks great.

Yoshiya

TripOpt55 said:
I like the new Lara in the scans. She looks great. Hard to make much else out due to the quality though. Hopefully, I get my magazine tomorrow.

There are perfect quality scans out there now. Obviously can't say where, but they really do make the game look great.

Varna

Discotheque said:
I hate GTA style open world games now. RDR bored me by the time I got to finish the game.

But if it's similar in vein to Arkham Asylum then I'm game.

Personally hoping it's more like STALKER. But no way that's happening. :lol

Snaku

Banned
Oh, it's open world? Thanks for the warning. I'll begin making preparations for lazily designed environments, a boring patchwork story, and an apparent gear making collectathon.

Linear platforming/adventuring with a focused narrative is dead. Thanks Rockstar.

Top Bottom