• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Game Informer Info [Update 2: Multiplayer Jobs (Co-op/PvP) Post 892]

charlequin said:
This is far and away the best look Lara has ever had. I like it a lot. I can't believe Crystal Dynamics has gotten me interested in a Tomb Raider game. :lol
Fucking exactly. To me, Tomb Raider was as dead and uninteresting as Sonic, but this looks and sounds fucking good.

Boglinus said:
Which is why the bow is such a great choice as a weapon for her. Archery just seems to me like the kind of sport a rich girl would be into. It's got a kind of upper class air to it, like horseback riding.

I want my wtffish back.

I think its fair to say that this game has the same level of excitement of duda raider 3 for me. Don't get me wrong Uncharted 3 is day 0 for me, but my level of excitement is the same!!

raviolico

RustyNails said:
I think its fair to say that this game has the same level of excitement of duda raider 3 for me. Don't get me wrong Uncharted 3 is day 0 for me, but my level of excitement is the same!!

35317kg.jpg

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Honestly, I've been loving all this cross franchise synergy over the past week. :lol

Jerk

Banned
The redesigned Laura looks too good.

I anticipate a shitty game to be attached in order for balance to exist in the universe.

SolidSnakex said:
I'd like to see it happen but I can't see either side agreeing to it any time soon.
Why not? Isn't Amy Hennig ex-Crystal? I mean, it's unlikely we'd get a full-fledged game featuring both characters (droooool) but maybe an innocent crossover similar to Assassin's Creed/MGS4 wouldn't be so far fetched, would it?

Grisby

Jerk 2.0 said:
The redesigned Laura looks too good.

I anticipate a shitty game to be attached in order for balance to exist in the universe.

All of the new TR's by Crystal Dynamics have been awesome though. I mean, they even knocked it out of the park with a downloadable diablo type game.

I just hope its not too ambitious that it ends up being mediocre.

FunkyPajamas said:
Why not? Isn't Amy Hennig ex-Crystal? I mean, it's unlikely we'd get a full-fledged game featuring both characters (droooool) but maybe an innocent crossover similar to Assassin's Creed/MGS4 wouldn't be so far fetched, would it?

Well, the AC/MGS crossovers are just clothing swaps. You obviously can't do that with Drake and Lara. :p I was speaking more about an actual game crossover. It would have to be an exclusive title for starters since there's no way Sony would allow Drake to appear on other platforms. Then you'd have to figure out who'd develop it. Unless they did something like SF/Tekken, which would actually be pretty interesting.

SolidSnakex said:
Well, the AC/MGS crossovers are just clothing swaps. You obviously can't do that with Drake and Lara. :p I was speaking more about an actual game crossover. It would have to be an exclusive title for starters since there's no way Sony would allow Drake to appear on other platforms. Then you'd have to figure out who'd develop it. Unless they did something like SF/Tekken, which would actually be pretty interesting.
oh, as much as I'd love to see an actual game crossover, well, I don't think it's going to happen as you mentioned. I'd settle for a cross-dressing Drake. Drake In Drag.

im just excited they seem to be ditching that swashbuckler/family adventure element...and the whole idea of lara as a cheesy mascot. i havent seen anything that excites about gameplay, but i like where the story seems headed

It's only sunk in, but somehow my fear for this game being PEGI 18+/M-Rated is that it'll be too much of the dark, the gritty, the violent and the whole "spectacle" of boulders literally breaking Lara's skull. Sure, I appreciate the fact that the series is getting that much needed dose of realism for it to be taken seriously, but I hope that doesn't take away from having the "fluffier" parts where you just take in a breath-taking view of the island, the forests, the flOwers, the beach, the sea.

I hope more than it being a "survival-action" game, it's still going to be about the adventure and the discovery of long-forgotten places -- at a deliberately slow pace.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Tricky I Shadow said:
Am I insane for anticipating this more than Uncharted 3?
That's like saying, "Am I insane for anticipating Mass Effect 3 more than Portal 2?"

The answer is no, it all depends on what genre you are more interested in.

Aaron

Tricky I Shadow said:
Am I insane for anticipating this more than Uncharted 3?
Uncharted 3 is practically a known quantity. That quantity is awesome, but it's still known based on the previous game. This is still up in the air. I think the potential for awesome makes it more interesting than the almost assurance of awesome.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Aaron said:
Uncharted 3 is practically a known quantity. That quantity is awesome, but it's still known based on the previous game. This is still up in the air. I think the potential for awesome makes it more interesting than the almost assurance of awesome.
That's precisely it for me.

Pooya

Update on GI site:
Conrad Roth profile

Roth.jpg

So who is this Conrad Roth? Roth gained his strength and no-nonsense attitude through two tours with the Royal Marine commandoes. Deciding to put his unique skills to use after leaving the military, Roth became a freelance treasure-hunter, scouring forgotten shipwrecks that litter the ocean floor for anything of value. Traveling the world, his reputation is for intelligence, toughness, and a tendency to bend laws that limit the traffic of historical artifacts. In order to secure a prize and do right by his crew, Roth will lie, cheat, and break the law. Remorse isn’t part of the equation.

Sotha Sil

I think it's the first time I'm hyped for a Tomb Raider game since the very first came out.

Everything looks and sounds great so far.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Seemingly has multiplayer.

tombraidermultiplayerkzl4.png

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/jobs/

Gamasutra Job 1 said:
Sr Game Designer Multi Player

Game Designer Multi-Player

Responsibilities

· Responsible for the overall multi player design vision for the game

· Responsible for being a liaison to our partner studio in Montreal

· Act as producer for levels you design, as well as other parts of the game, collaborating across disciplines to get work done and clear dependencies, ensuring deadlines are met, and championing aspects of the game play

· Work directly with artists, programmers, animators and other game designers to contribute to the vision of the game

· Responsible for all aspects of multi-player game design including co-op, player vs. player, and creation of maps and environments

Requirements & Skills

· Experience designing multi-player levels for console games

· Minimum 5 years of game design experience with at least 2-3 in multi-player

· Strong methodology and problem solving ability and with a focus on creative, fun and innovative solutions

· Excellent communication skills and problem solving

· Strong experience with both system and level design

· Exceptional team player with the ability to collaborate with other team members in design, art, animation and programming

· Willingness to take design direction when offered

· Understands the competitive landscape of the action adventure genre

· Very good working knowledge of Maya

· Experience of developing third-person action games

· A passion for video games and an avid gamer

· Ability to travel up to 50%
Source: http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/viewjobrss.asp?cjid=24628&accountno=61772

Gamasutra Job 2 said:
Producer Multi Player

Producer Multi-Player

Crystal Dynamics is looking for a talented, enthusiastic, and highly organized individual with demonstrable project management experience to take on a major production role in the multi-player part of an upcoming action adventure title. For this role, we are looking for an individual with outstanding communication skills and a proven track record in production, having successfully produced or managed a team designing multi-player parts of an AAA title.

This Producer will work in support of the Executive Producer to coordinate, track, and guide activities of the multi-player staff to ensure that projects are completed on time and with high quality. Exposure to formal project management techniques in an internal development environment is a must as well as knowing how to lead a team toward milestone achievements..

Responsibilities:

•Works with Executive Producer and leads in each discipline to determine resources necessary to see projects through to completion.

•Coordinates tracks and manages the activities of the team to ensure that project tasks are completed on time.

•Provides motivation and direction to ensure that project goals, objectives, milestones and deliverables are achieved.

•Contributes to a positive work environment.

•Help provide leadership and vision for the multi-player side of the title, working with the Executive Producer, Sr producers, and Creative Director.

•Other duties as assigned.

Requirements:

•Experience producing the multi-player parts of a AAA title including creation of maps, player vs. player, and co-op.

•Ability to communicate effectively and mediate between programming, art, animation and design personnel.

•Internal and External development experience

•Experience managing teams and delivering products on time.

•Knowledge of software development process and project management.

•Proven experience managing schedules and design requirements to implement multi-player features.

•Aggressiveness in finding new ways to problem-solve and work with resolutions.

•Unrelenting self-motivation and initiative.

•Ability to travel up to 50%

•Strong Knowledge of Microsoft Project, Excel, Word, & PowerPoint

•A passion for video games and an understanding of the competitive landscape
Source: http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/viewjobrss.asp?cjid=24630&accountno=61772

Lime

Mass Effect 3 and now Tomb Raider. I don't like this and I hope this won't deteriorate from the experience.

I even wonder how they are going to do this. Will it be a bunch Of Lara Crofts shooting at each other besides the co-op?

derFeef

The coop in TGOL is excellent, but... We are getting a reboot with a new and exciting Lara and they are throwing another character into it somewhere? Don´t know if I like the sound of that. Hm.

V_Arnold

Lime said:
Mass Effect 3 and now Tomb Raider. I don't like this and I hope this won't deteriorate from the experience.

I even wonder how they are going to do this. Will it be a bunch Of Lara Crofts shooting at each other besides the co-op?

Please, use your brain. They are hiring staff for multiplayer, as seen in the post below. Single player level/enviroment/gameplay designers will not have to cut back SP content so that they can insert a deathmatch mode.

*sighs*

Lime

V_Arnold said:
Please, use your brain. They are hiring staff for multiplayer, as seen in the post below. Single player level/enviroment/gameplay designers will not have to cut back SP content so that they can insert a deathmatch mode.

*sighs*

Why are you being so aggressive and condescending? Don't talk to people like that without good reason. I only pointed out that the fact is that they are hiring staff for multiplayer, which might make the focus less on single player. Due to the implementation of multiplayer, it is now more likely that the usual ressources applied to singleplayer will have to be in part relegated to multiplayer. That is my worry and I'm sure most people would agree with this notion that multiplayer implementation into singleplayer-focused games might lessen the SP experience. I think this is the norm (e.g. the Darkness), rather than the exception such as Uncharted 2's multiplayer.

Lime said:
Why are you being so aggressive and condescending? Don't talk to people like that without good reason. I only pointed out that the fact is that they are hiring staff for multiplayer, which might make the focus less on single player. Due to the implementation of multiplayer, it is now more likely that the usual ressources applied to singleplayer will have to be in part relegated to multiplayer. That is my worry and I'm sure most people would agree with this notion that multiplayer implementation into singleplayer-focused games might lessen the SP experience. I think this is the norm (e.g. the Darkness), rather than the exception such as Uncharted 2's multiplayer.
His point (which you conveniently ignored in your reply) was tha MP and SP are being handled by different teams; concern over one degrading the other are unwarranted. The SP would not be any better if the MP didn't exist in other words.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Ugh, why? Just make another offshoot Lara Croft game, don't do this kind of garbage from the get go.

Top Bottom