• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PS4 Pro version vs PC Maxed out 4k screenshot comparison

Durante

rottrcomparison2krphp.png

Looking at this comparison (which seems closer to a correct "maxed" PC one -- sadly I don't have the game to take a screenshot on my own and make sure), I'd say that the major differences are
  • Significantly more crisp pixel-scale detail on the PC version, especially concerning specular highlights (e.g. with the blood splatter on her forehead).
  • Higher hair strand density on PC.
  • Softer DoF on PC, which is generally more expensive.
  • Different light intensity, either by artistic choice, varying HDR resolve, different capture methods, or a combination of those.

Tratorn

Brighter doesn't make better.

Good that it wasn't just brighter.
But it was mentioned already anyways, that the PC screen isn't "maxed" out.

In the first screen the PS4 version is even sharper than the PC version in the background (see the wall).

Edit: He removed the screen.

Here you can see how the pro version stacks up to native 4k. Pretty nice for a console that's only 4.2TF. It seems to feature upgraded visuals even when compared to a maxed out pc screenshot and this is only the 4k ps4 pro version (one of three modes). According to one of the interviews the 1080p/30fps version should look much better with "Multi-pass rendering, much better shading, pbr lighting and more."
A better comparison thanks to Durante.

rottrcomparison2krphp.png

Definitely looks like the pro version has improved post process in 4k mode.

Kind of looks like 1440p upscaled in terms of quality.

For 4.2 TF impressive.

ogbg

In the first screen the PS4 version is even sharper than the PC version in the background (see the wall).

That's just because they have different depth of field effects. It's meant to be blurrier in in the background on the PC version

And what about AO (PC also has VXAO)? You can't make a proper comparison with just that single screenshot. There are many more things which are important for graphics.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
I thought Rise of the TR was supposed to be native 4K in the high resolution mode on the PS4Pro?

But it clearly shows to be using an upscale, as seen on the antialiased edge in the screen?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's hard finding a similar shot on the web, but...

I took a close-ish cutscene 1080p shot, upscaled to 4K and cropped the face to compare... Eeeek... there's a huge difference.

Not sure if I should share it though. I can't vouch for the base quality of the 1080p screenshot from a compression pov etc.

LordRaptor

That's because the algorithm has mistaken intentional blurring (DoF) for accidental blurring being the result of upscaling and has incorrectly re-composited the frame.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Lots of fine detail is lost in translation. Definitely not seeing the 'magic', looks like a decent if not spectacular solution.

Nzyme32

People are curious of the source of the PS4 Pro image and the PC "maxed" native 4K image - since it is made by you and you obviously do not own a PS4 Pro and got the original 4K image wrong since you "googled" it, sources of both images seem important here

Sub-4k blur fest. Somebody make a pixelated gif

It should be superior to the PS4 at least, since the base resolution is apparently higher than the original 1080p

Fluxdyne

I thought Rise of the TR was supposed to be native 4K in the high resolution mode on the PS4Pro?

But it clearly shows to be using an upscale, as seen on the antialiased edge in the screen?
I think only very simple games will achieve "native" 4K rendering, most of them will use their custom upscale technique.

ogbg

That's because the algorithm has mistaken intentional blurring (DoF) for accidental blurring being the result of upscaling and has incorrectly re-composited the frame.

No, it's just a different DOF implementation on the PS4 versus PC. The algorithm doesn't operate on that scale. To do what you suggest would be more like upscaling from 240p to 4K.

It's hard finding a similar shot on the web, but...

I took a close-ish cutscene 1080p shot, upscaled to 4K and cropped the face to compare... Eeeek... there's a huge difference.

Not sure if I should share it though. I can't vouch for the base quality of the 1080p screenshot from a compression pov etc.

go for it. It would be nice if somebody posted a similar screenshot to this:

image_rise_of_the_tomb_raider_20_year_celebration-32969-3661_0001.jpg

It's the only one left to compare even though i would've prefer a .png shot.

mjp2417

Banned

4K mode doesn't mean native 4K in this case. It means upscaled.

jmga

People are curious of the source of the PS4 Pro image and the PC "maxed" native 4K image - since it is made by you and you obviously do not own a PS4 Pro and got the original 4K image wrong since you "googled" it, sources of both images seem important here

I made the comparison Durante posted.

PS4 Pro screenshot was taken from Gamersyde:
http://gamersyde.com/pop_images_rise_of_the_tomb_raider_20_year_celebration-32969-2.html

PC screenshot was taken by an user from a spanish forum.
http://www.elotrolado.net/viewtopic.php?p=1742125775

It should be superior to the PS4 at least, since the base resolution is apparently higher than the original 1080p
sure

pc:
http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/1932062d8e3e98aa195edcfec3354f16.jpg
ps4 pro
http://images.gamersyde.com/image_rise_of_the_tomb_raider_20_year_celebration-32969-3661_0002.jpg

That screenshot looks amazing, it's crazy to think that consoles have overtaken PC graphics again so soon. I know it took PC a couple years to catch up to PS4 graphics after it launched, how long do you guys think it will take PC to catch up to PS4K this time? I'm assuming it won't take as long due to it not being as large of a jump as PS4 and the CPU not receiving as large an upgrade.

diaspora

That screenshot looks amazing, it's crazy to think that consoles have overtaken PC graphics again so soon. I know it took PC a couple years to catch up to PS4 graphics after it launched, how long do you guys think it will take PC to catch up to PS4K this time? I'm assuming it won't take as long due to it not being as large of a jump as PS4 and the CPU not receiving as large an upgrade.

hehehehe

Nzyme32

I made the comparison Durante posted.

PS4 Pro screenshot was taken from Gamersyde:
http://gamersyde.com/pop_images_rise_of_the_tomb_raider_20_year_celebration-32969-2.html

PC screenshot was taken by an user from a spanish forum.
http://www.elotrolado.net/viewtopic.php?p=1742125775

Cheers

This demonstrates you are not sourcing your images well enough since the PC is not "maxed", they match the medium preset of the other post

Tadie

Are you serious? PS4 pro just has a mid range GPU. Every high end PC destroys the PS4 pro. But it has a nice upscaling feature.

LordRaptor

No, it's just a different DOF implementation on the PS4 versus PC. The algorithm doesn't operate on that scale. To do what you suggest would be more like upscaling from 240p to 4K.

Its pretty clearly taking the base 1080p framebuffer and resizing it using the "checkerboard" effect as a second pass post-processing effect, which is why it's being talked about as 'free'.

I can't be arsed, but I bet if you resize both images down to 1080p the amount of DOF in each resampled image will look similar.

That difference is much more obvious than I expected. The upscaling looks like shit on fine detail such as hair and the whole look is softer and worse.

Courage

amazing

Rellik

I don't think it'll ever catch up. PC is pretty much dead now and I don't see what they can do outside of releasing PC 2

LMAO. Good ole Horse Armor.

NeoRaider

What? Where?

AllGamer

Is this a joke post? I honestly can't tell anymore...

Top Bottom