• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider PS4 Pro version vs PC Maxed out 4k screenshot comparison

Here you can see how the pro version stacks up to native 4k. Pretty nice for a console that's only 4.2TF. It seems to feature upgraded visuals even when compared to a maxed out pc screenshot and this is only the 4k ps4 pro version (one of three modes). According to one of the interviews the 1080p/30fps version should look much better with "Multi-pass rendering, much better shading, pbr lighting and more."

Updated comparison:
trps4procomparison35q5a.png

Thanks for the uncropped picture
I made the comparison Durante posted.

PS4 Pro screenshot was taken from Gamersyde:
http://gamersyde.com/pop_images_rise_of_the_tomb_raider_20_year_celebration-32969-2.html

PC screenshot was taken by an user from a spanish forum.
http://www.elotrolado.net/viewtopic.php?p=1742125775
Edit: We now have .TIF format for the ps4 pro image.
Here guys. PS4 Pro screenshots can be downloaded from SE Press Site:

http://press.na.square-enix.com/products/p286/rise-of-the-tomb-raider

There is also .TIF format available.

Definitely looks like the pro version has improved post process in 4k mode.

jett

D-Member
Guess we're trading the usual stair-stepping jaggies for this weird "fuzzy jaggies" after-effect of the reconstruction process.

Guymelef

According to one of the interviews the 1080p/30fps version should look much better with "Multi-pass rendering, much better shading, pbr lighting and more."

That's the only thing I want from PS4 Pro.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
According to one of the interviews the 1080p/30fps version should look much better with "Multi-pass rendering, much better shading, pbr lighting and more."

i cant tell the difference and i thought i was a graphics whore. i guess the PS4k pic looks softer.

PBR lighting, better shading and rendering is music to my ears though. EVERY dev needs to do what Crystal Dynamics is doing with their 3 different graphics settings.

LordRaptor

I guess games are going to have to be far more selective about their use of DOF when rescaling for PS4Pro, because its artificially sharpened the background in the PS4 shot

~Cross~

The hair looks noticeably more alliased than on native and the corners of other objects look a tiny bit more alliased but Im not seeing anything else being that much of a difference.

Nzyme32

This isn't really a good comparison when the PS4 Pro version isn't going to be "maxed out" comparable to the PC version anyway.

Regardless, looking at that, for the $399 price it is certainly worthwhile - however I can't stand degrading IQ, which is one of the reasons why I'm on PC anyway

Clearly the IQ isn't as good as native 4k but it's still a pretty good comparison for consoles. I doubt most games will get the attention to Pro mode like this but one can dream.

Durante

The image in the OP doesn't seem to be "maxed out" on PC.

rottrcomparison2krphp.png

For one, it is missing specular highlights in the eyes.

It's pretty impressive.

The sooner people realise the system is simply not powerful enough to do true 4K gaming the better though. It's a nice jump from what the PS4 currently does.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not to me. I think the lighting makes it look different than the PC version though. Not sure if that's because it's HDR on the PS4 Pro.

The PC pic is missing the reflection from the flare. There's a bug apparently in cutscene rendering in the PC version.

There's a few other things that may not make it entirely like-for-like in terms of colouring though. I'm not sure the contrast is exactly the same, which might be differences in how they were captured.

Makes me wonder if this is really worth it for 4k tv owners.

I guess to answer that question it might be good to add 1080p scaled to 4K for comparison. I'm guessing what's in the OP will be a much better image for 4KTV owners.

I'd be curious to see how the PS4 Pro shot downsampled to 1080p compares to Tomb Raider as is on PS4 standard.

SO at what settings will the PS4 Pro upscaled 4k version run at?? and what frame rate??

The '4K' mode is 30hz.

Nzyme32

The image in the OP doesn't seem to be "maxed out" on PC.

rottrcomparison2krphp.png

For one, it is missing specular highlights in the eyes.

And that raises further questions. What is the source of OPs image in the first place

Lighting looks better on PS4.

As above, the comparison isn't making sense since it isn't accurate - PC "maxed" should be using either HBAO+ / VXAO, which is going to be a superior solution

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I actually like the lighting a bit more on the PS4 Pro picture a bit better.

From these stills you can definitely see that it seems that the PS4 Pro has some blur compared to PC, but I have to wonder if that is really going to be noticeable on a larger scale when playing a game. I'm interested in seeing the difference in performance when you start looking at framerate performances over many games. This is going to be a fun couple of months coming up, with some interesting stats.

My thought is that if you could get a PS4 Pro for half the cost of a GTX 1080, then it would be a great long term purchase for the console dedicated demographic.

OCD Guy

SO at what settings will the PS4 Pro upscaled 4k version run at?? and what frame rate??

Likely an unstable 30fps at a mixture of medium to low settings.

I saw the jerky framerate on lot's of games during the Playstation Meeting, seriously not a good way to promote a new product.

I'm not mad though, I'll be playing games at 1080p at their highest framerate when given the choice, if not I'll choose lower resolution and higher graphical settings.

I'd honestly rather 1080p at Ultra than 4K at medium.

The way I hope it is with Pro is like this.

You get the PS4 version + one of these of your choosing:
1.More res (4k)
2.More frames
3.More graphics (stabler frames and/or up res to 1080p if not already)

diaspora

At 4K native? Maxed? That spec is not going to cut it.

It's easily enough to outclass the Pro shot or alternatively hit 4K native with middling-low settings which would still offer better IQ. I know a 480 can do it at 30fps with real 4K, not sure the CPU but...

OCD Guy

So does this mean the 1080 / 30 version will be the best looking version? I want to run 4k because I have a 4K set but not if it's going to run at much lower and noticeable settings.

No using Tomb Raider as an example the mode with all the graphical settings is reserved for 1080p at 30fps.

While many people praise resolution, I personally think 1080p at ultra settings is more than sufficient. But everyone is different.

Slaythe

I mean, that's rather impressive.

Considering this isn't 4K native.

The difference is marginal, in movement I doubt it's that obvious.

Native 4K is obviously better, there's no question.

But the techniques used by Ps4PRO are close to magic, given the shit hardware.

ogbg

Significantly worse but that's to be expected. I'd like like to see a PS4 1080p image just upscaled with bilinear interpolation as a third comparison.

LordRaptor

So does this mean the 1080 / 30 version will be the best looking version? I want to run 4k because I have a 4K set but not if it's going to run at much lower and noticeable settings.

Well, it will be blurrier, but it's likely to have much more going on in the way of post-processing as it effectively has twice as much time to render each frame

e:
But the techniques used by Ps4PRO are close to magic, given the shit hardware.

It is pretty impressive, but I wonder if control is going to be given to developers to selectively implement it - as is fairly obvious if you compare the backgrounds, the "uprendered" shot has completely destroyed the Dept Of Field effect, because it can't tell the difference between intentionally blurred for aesthetic effect, and blurred via upscaling to be recombined

Nzyme32

the lighting is not the same...

As above, OPs images are not correct, and even then the "maxed" settings will use different solutions for AO / lighting, that ultimately will look different. As shown time and again in these threads, some people love to jump around about more glare / brightness / saturation being "better" when this isn't the case every time depending on the scene

Who made those comparisons btw?

and this is still unanwered

Top Bottom