• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Reboot 3 - What do you want?

killroy87

I loved Rise, so I'm pretty happy with the trajectory of the franchise. I was especially glad to see Rise get into some more colorful locales. Story aside, I probably enjoyed the experience of playing Rise more than Uncharted 4.

Reboot it again. The current gameplay style sucks ass. Everything about the current approach to its game design is wrong. Throw everything away. Start fresh.

First thing is first. Make the decision very early in development that there BE NO FUCKING AUTOMATION IN ANY ASPECT OF THE PLATFORMING OR CONTROLS. Everything needs to be manually controlled by the player. The player needs to be in control of every action and the game needs to be about the player exploring and navigatimg their way though the hazards of the level design. Players have to line up their jumps. They have to think about their jumps. Jumps will be consistent in length and distance every single time and grabbing a ledge needs to be a manual input from the player. The platforming needs to be well designed and offer thought and challenge. Not just be automated cinematic bullshit.

Second. THERE SHOULD NOT BE A SINGLE FUCKING HUMAN ENEMY TO KILL. Not one. Maybe a few can appear in cutscenes at various points, but keep human combat away. Keep gunfights away. Tomb Raider is not a combat focused game. The clearest way to make sure of that is to have no human combat whatsoever. It's a choice that needs to be made early in developmemt and stuck to. Very light combat with some animals or mythical creatures every now and then just to give the player a little bit of variety is fine, but the core of the game needs to be all about the exploration, platforming and puzzle solving.

this would be a start, if they can bring old Lara's personality back, that would be even better. If they need more inspiration beyond the old games they can read the old comics (the ones with Park's drawings). I really like the pulpy tone they have

plidex

Good story and dialogues.

Reboot it again. The current gameplay style sucks ass. Everything about the current approach to its game design is wrong. Throw everything away. Start fresh.

First thing is first. Make the decision very early in development that there BE NO FUCKING AUTOMATION IN ANY ASPECT OF THE PLATFORMING OR CONTROLS. Everything needs to be manually controlled by the player. The player needs to be in control of every action and the game needs to be about the player exploring and navigatimg their way though the hazards of the level design. Players have to line up their jumps. They have to think about their jumps. Jumps will be consistent in length and distance every single time and grabbing a ledge needs to be a manual input from the player. The platforming needs to be well designed and offer thought and challenge. Not just be automated cinematic bullshit.

Second. THERE SHOULD NOT BE A SINGLE FUCKING HUMAN ENEMY TO KILL. Not one. Maybe a few can appear in cutscenes at various points, but keep human combat away. Keep gunfights away. Tomb Raider is not a combat focused game. The clearest way to make sure of that is to have no human combat whatsoever. It's a choice that needs to be made early in developmemt and stuck to. Very light combat with some animals or mythical creatures every now and then just to give the player a little bit of variety is fine, but the core of the game needs to be all about the exploration, platforming and puzzle solving.

Impossible.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Inventory needs to return by the way, as does a non regenerating health system. And they need to ditch the xp crap. No xp. No upgradimg anything.

SilentRob

A Tomb Raider game, not an Uncharted game.

ROTR has very little to do with Uncharted from a structural standpoint with its focus on Exploration of pretty big Hub Worlds, including side quests and quite a lot of optional content to find. They changed it up quite a bit from the first game and put a way bigger focus on exploration and a way smaller focus on setpiece moments (even though there are still quite a few, obviously, which isn't a bad thing imo) and combat scenarios.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
-Dual pistols
-More enemy types (monsters, dinosaurs, whatever)
-More horror/darker atmosphere than Rise
-No hot climate. Keep it cold. Something autumnal in tone.

They're not, although Crystal Dynamics isn't doing the third one, but Eidos Montreal. It's rumored that it's going to focus on horror elements more, but that's all we know for now.

Do you have a source on that? This sound 100% like what they should be doing.

The open-world areas of RoTTR were honestly my favorite parts of the game, but they felt like a distraction from the story at times. I'd be all for finding a way to integrate the two in a way that makes sense.

At the very least, keep the cool cinematic moments, but don't make me trudge through them after the action to dig up artifacts. It's not fun to search a linear area for some artifacts after you've had an eventful mission there.

Vlaphor

New writers, new actress, and not a continuation of the recent reboot games but with classic sassy British sex symbol Lara Croft instead.

At the very least, have the main character not hate everything about the game they are in.

I'd like to see more complicated and deeper tombs, with more complicated puzzles. Other than that, I think RotTR was nearly perfect. I really really love it.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
in terms of structure, more Rise is fine by me.

it would be nice to give a shit about the story for a change. i'd also like to see an animation refresh for the next game.

jelly

I don't want to collect anything, make weapon upgrades more useful with less tree options and make combat good, it sucked in ROTTR and enemy encounters were poor. Game plus mode ffs!

A deeper tomb is not one that takes longer to go along a linear path to reach.

Chessr

1. Turquise tanktop
2. Hotpants
3. Dual guns from beginning
4. no human enemies but 1 arc enemy like TR1 who tries to get to the treasure to who u path cross with once in a while.
5. no more ice areas.
6. bring back the health packs and traps.
7. Tigers, bears, bats, even a T-rex for old times sake

Wanderer5

Meh human enemies are fine, but I would like to see more variety in supernatural enemies, and not hopefully just stormguard 3.0 in the upcoming game.

RedAssedApe

Banned
If you're going to make the combat a cover shooter let me blindfire/hipfire damnit.

If you're going to do audio logs let me listen to them while playing the game damnit

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

But that doesn't say anything about being more horror in tone. Nor is the image lisible.

Meh human enemies are fine, but I would like to see more variety in supernatural enemies, and not hopefully just stormguard 3.0 in the upcoming game.

Deathless Ones were pretty cool but man, why do they keep waiting for the end of the game to pull out the diverse enemies? We need more bosses like the Oni, and less helicopters.

JP

I think this pretty much sums it up for me.

I'm currently playing through Rise of the Tomb Raider and I often felt that, intentionally or not, they seemed to be chasing Uncharted. As much as I love the Uncharted games, I really want them to get as far away from those games as possible.

I quite enjoyed the first game but I felt the second is less enjoyable to me so I'd prefer something that felt a bit closer to the original.

sn00zer

Hold to grab.

More animal enemies, more zombies, more mummies, more ancient evils, more cave dinosaurs, more ancient Roman gorillas, and less need to justify it in any reasonable matter.

A happy medium in tone between the latest series and temple of the osiris. Lara Croft Go was pretty good at nailing the classic tone.

Although I think could larely be done as a smaller game not a AAA.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Ha. I love the way the series has gone and hope it doesn't return to its former self unless it can be heavily improved and mainstreamed.

This a thousand times.

Honestly I just want another reboot that takes the series back to its roots. No more shitty cinematic storytelling, crap voice acting and terribly written (unnecessary) characters. Give me more tombs, more raiding, less story, less talking and more of that good isolated atmosphere.

Hell, do it in the Hitman episodic format. It'd be perfect for classic style TR.

dh4niel

Make her less of a wuss and more of a bad ass. I know she was just starting out and all in TR and RotTR but she was so whiny. I want more gung-ho action lady like the original games.

I really want to see the next one focus on a more linear and tomb/ruin-filled area. Thinking back on my favorite Tomb Raider moments back in the day, they were all during hours-long treks into complex levels.

Kraq

I actually finished ROTTR yesterday and came away feeling unsatisfied. The game started out great, only to be let down by some of the most boring characters and plot ever. I also felt similar about the first game.

Better characters, better story, less gunplay and for the love of god less collectables for the next game. The game's strengths are its puzzle-platforming segments, so focus more on those.

I actually finished ROTTR yesterday and came away feeling unsatisfied. The game started out great, only to be let down by some of the most boring characters and plot ever. I also felt similar about the first game.

Better characters, better story, less gunplay and for the love of god less collectables for the next game. The game's strengths are its puzzle-platforming segments, so focus more on those.

I remember finishing the Syria section then going back to Siberia and immediately hating the game again. Syria was the best part.

How about actually challenging platforming and difficult puzzles that require thinking? Nah let's make a cookie cutter collectathon action game and use the brand name for popularity, also dual wielding is an iconic tomb raider legacy.

patapuf

More tombs, more puzzles and most importantly less humans.

If i have to kill stuff can i fight interesting enemies? like not AR dude, sniper dude and shield dude?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It's been leaked that CD is moving to a new IP and Eidos Montreal doing most of TR3.
HOLY SHIT HYPE RESTORED!

This series NEEDS a new pair of hands. Hopefully a new developer will do something new Also, are Eidos Montreal the devs of Arkham Origins? Because that was the best Batman game. Though at the same time they also stuck very close to the established formula which doesn't fill me with confidence for a big change.

Glass Rebel

Just un-boot it and give us remakes of the classic games in the vein of Anniversary. That was the last one I had proper fun with.

Top Bottom