• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Reboot 3 - What do you want?

Just finished ROTR for PS4 and damn, what an awesome game. I really loved it! Tomb Raider: Lara Croft Pain Simulator was one of my favorite games of the previous generation (regardless of how cool and edgy it is to hate it on GAF) and I'm glad that the follow-up was even cooler.

What're your hopes for the new Tomb Raider 3? My wishlist:

-I'd love for Lara to have a wee-bit more attitude like her original counterpart did
-The turquoise tank top
-She's gotta have twin pistols. I can't believe they marketed ROTR as a 20-anniversary celebration and completely forgot to include these
-Hot climate! Take Lara to Egypt, just please, no more snow or ice

CwSjwZd.gif

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Remove the pointless side-quests that slowed the pace of RotTR to a crawl.

Make the upgrades useful.

Make the combat more challenging.

Remove the Metroid-vania elements to allow for multiple locations.

Include a stage that consists solely of flashing neon lights that say 'LARA', so people can finally get her god damned name right.

sn00zer

Quick question. Is the latest Tomb Raider as violent as the first reboot game. Turned it off after a while due to the weird execution kills and constant shooting.

I'd like a bit more added to the movement. Go back to what made the 1st snowy forest in Rise of the Tomb Raider work and build the entire game around it. More Systemic elements which feed into the metroid elements. Cull unneeded EXP upgrading. More Wildlife enemies. More enemy types. More Tombs. Basically Steal many ideas from Breath of the Wild.

Crixus

A new studio to develop the game. Or at least new level/puzzle designers. They de-tombed the game too much, I miss Anniversary and Legend.

Raptomex

Quick question. Is the latest Tomb Raider as violent as the first reboot game. Turned it off after a while due to the weird execution kills and constant shooting.
Well this is certainly new. Do you think Uncharted is violent?

krae_man

A Tomb Raider game, not an Uncharted game.

We are getting that. You can shoot endangered species, it's got more puzzle solving and platforming then Uncharted and they haven't stupidly taken away the
supernatural
. What more do you want?

I have been really aching for an Atlantis setting. We haven't gotten that with Uncharted series or the Tomb Raider reboot so far. Now that I think of it Wolfenstein is the closest I have gotten to Atlantis so far this generation.

hawk2025

Excise all the fat.

- no shop
- no pointless side quests
- cut 80 to 90% of the collectibles
- more multi-tiered tombs tied directly to the story
- bring back the punchy and satisfying combat of TR2013
- Bring back the improved stealth of Rise

Absolutely not. I hated how violent the first game was, especially how it borderline eroticized Lara's injuries. The second game has virtually nothing like that.

eot

Banned
Cut 90% of the combat and NPCs.
Make the platforming interesting and challenging.
Give us large, intricate levels with real puzzle solving and navigation.

Tizoc

Smaller shorter game with emphasis on headshotting with arrows.
And a return to the puzzley platforming nature of the original TR.

Staf

Just finished ROTR for PS4 and damn, what an awesome game. I really loved it! Tomb Raider: Lara Croft Pain Simulator was one of my favorite games of the previous generation (regardless of how cool and edgy it is to hate it on GAF) and I'm glad that the follow-up was even cooler.

What're your hopes for the new Tomb Raider 3? My wishlist:

-I'd love for Lara to have a wee-bit more attitude like her original counterpart did
-The turquoise tank top
-She's gotta have twin pistols. I can't believe they marketed ROTR as a 20-anniversary celebration and completely forgot to include these
-Hot climate! Take Lara to Egypt, just please, no more snow or ice

CwSjwZd.gif

Good list. I second it.

I really loved when tomb raider reboot 1 got all survival horror, with Lara in the blood pool and the crazy underground scenes. I was dissapointed that tomb Raider reboot 2 lost the grit/survival horror lite atmosphere and went more Indiana jones temple of doom goofy, however the game design, open world, tombs were much better in reboot 2.

Baba Yada felt like a reaction to the ga,e. It being dark/gritty enough too and all the other DLC they released ticked all the right boxes for me,

So in conclusion and especially because I'm missing dead space so much, I really hope tomb raider reboot 3 keeps the cool open world level Design, the metroidvania inspired words....and keeps Lara fighting evil spooky shit that's scary and makes the game feel more survival horror, with a real threat.

Either a better written narrative with well-realised characters or a de-emphasised narrative with a more classic puzzle-platforming focus.

Card Boy

Banned
Honestly I love the new Tomb Raider games keep them the way they are. I like the light Metroidvania aspects to them. The first game had forgettable support characters but Rise improved this. Really liked Jacob and the The Devine source storyline.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Reboot it again. The current gameplay style sucks ass. Everything about the current approach to its game design is wrong. Throw everything away. Start fresh.

First thing is first. Make the decision very early in development that there BE NO FUCKING AUTOMATION IN ANY ASPECT OF THE PLATFORMING OR CONTROLS. Everything needs to be manually controlled by the player. The player needs to be in control of every action and the game needs to be about the player exploring and navigatimg their way though the hazards of the level design. Players have to line up their jumps. They have to think about their jumps. Jumps will be consistent in length and distance every single time and grabbing a ledge needs to be a manual input from the player. The platforming needs to be well designed and offer thought and challenge. Not just be automated cinematic bullshit.

Second. THERE SHOULD NOT BE A SINGLE FUCKING HUMAN ENEMY TO KILL. Not one. Maybe a few can appear in cutscenes at various points, but keep human combat away. Keep gunfights away. Tomb Raider is not a combat focused game. The clearest way to make sure of that is to have no human combat whatsoever. It's a choice that needs to be made early in developmemt and stuck to. Very light combat with some animals or mythical creatures every now and then just to give the player a little bit of variety is fine, but the core of the game needs to be all about the exploration, platforming and puzzle solving.

They're not, although Crystal Dynamics isn't doing the third one, but Eidos Montreal. It's rumored that it's going to focus on horror elements more, but that's all we know for now.

Wow sounds like the exact opposite of what they should do. I just recently finished the first one and the semi-horror tone and brutality felt really out of place.

GOOCHY

Cut 90% of the combat and NPCs.
Make the platforming interesting and challenging.
Give us large, intricate levels with real puzzle solving and navigation.

This is Tomb Raider for me. The shooting was always supposed to be secondary in Tomb Raider games but over time it just seemed to take over. It's not even a good or fun part of the game. Just like in Uncharted, it's the worst part of it.

They're not, although Crystal Dynamics isn't doing the third one, but Eidos Montreal. It's rumored that it's going to focus on horror elements more, but that's all we know for now.

If true I'll be interested to see how they pull that off...

For me, more focus on exploration and platform/puzzles, would also be OK with a bit more mysticism being worked in. I also would like to see her age a bit more for the next iteration and bring back her iconic look in a mature respectful way.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
More of the same mostly as I loved the first two and didn't care for the old games.

Top Bottom