• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider roundup: Weather, mocap, feeding, dynamic camera, M-rating, Mac/No WiiU

pvpness

Yeah, you've got to wonder where did all the apprehension to porting games come from? They were perfectly happy to make ps3 ports that did not take advantage of the sixaxis controller.

I'm sure it has more to do with the Nintendo audience being nothing but kids (and now grannies) as another poster in this thread already subtly pointed out. Kids don't play mature games so it would probably do terribly on the Wii U.

VariantX

I'm sure it has more to do with the Nintendo audience being nothing but kids (and now grannies) as another poster in this thread already subtly pointed out. Kids don't play mature games so it would probably do terribly on the Wii U.

While that perception is still strong amongst some circles, it's still cutting off potential revenue for themselves. Considering how much it's going to cost them to make the game, why not maximize your chances of making your money back and then some?

Nizz

Can't wait to see more of this game. Played through the Tomb Raider Trilogy Collection this past summer and I loved playing through Tomb Raider Anniversary again. Legend and Underworld were fun games too. I hope that they maintain some of the platforming/adventure elements from the original games. Nothing like entering a tomb on your own and exploring and solving puzzles and discovering artifacts.

I'm guessing the 360 is the lead platform? The game was unveiled at Microsoft's E3 show last year. I really hope there's more parity with the PS3 version this time. Underworld on PS3 was missing that good looking motion blur the 360 version had. Another thing I noticed from the last two Crystal Tomb Raider games (Underworld and GoL) they mapped the shooting to the L2/R2 buttons on the dualshock with no option to switch. That was jarring in the TR Collection going from Anniversary and Legend using L1/R1 then going to Underworld and having that switched over without the ability to change it. :/

Besides that, anxious to see more of this new TR.

FoneBone

This. In fact, I'm getting sick of all the WiiU port begging that's been happening lately. It's becoming really annoying.

I get where you're coming from, but that's not really applicable to this thread.

Whats the big deal if its not coming to the WiiU ?
It is a potentially significant (and bad) sign for the platform's third-party support if developers are passing on what would likely be a pretty inexpensive port. Again, I don't buy that this is about third parties hating Nintendo or whatever, but it suggests an uphill battle for them to get third-party releases.

It could also be that Nintendo demands from developers to include the Wii-U's unique functions. I mean it would be weird if one of the launch games doesn't make use of any of the Wii-U's features.

Nah. Awhile back someone from Nintendo said something along the lines of other developers shouldn't feel obligated to use the screen.

StevieP

Banned
So far it's really looking like dev response to Wii U is quite tepid.

They all see it as a tweener system. They make a game for PS360 or start planning for PS4/720. Wii U has no place.

And if anything the tablet controller probably turns them off (as it tends to do me as a consumer). But a dev is thinking, well I have to redesign for the tablet, I have to do something with the tablet or I'll look stupid, or Nintendo wont allow my game, instead I just wont go to all that trouble.

I sincerely hope you're a mod's joke character.

Derrick01

Banned
This. In fact, I'm getting sick of all the WiiU port begging that's been happening lately. It's becoming really annoying.

Yeah I'm already reaching my tipping point with it. The worse thing is I know it will happen with pretty much every game coming out this year.

FoneBone

For crying out loud, discussing Wii U in a thread where a developer was asked specifically about it is not port begging. Save the complaints for a thread where it's actually happening - there was probably too much Wii U discussion in the RE6 thread, for instance.

(I acknowledge that all the posts about Wii U sans substantive info can be annoying, but Crystal Dynamics' comments here are - gasp! - substantive enough to be worth discussing.)

BHZ Mayor

Nowhere near as bad as Vita begging. Yet. Edit: Beaten

For crying out loud, discussing Wii U in a thread where a developer was asked specifically about it is not port begging. Save the complaints for a thread where it's actually happening - there was probably too much Wii U discussion in the RE6 thread, for instance.

(I acknowledge that all the posts about Wii U sans substantive info can be annoying, but Crystal Dynamics' comments here are - gasp! - substantive enough to be worth discussing.)

Also this.

Anth0ny

I'm surprised. I think it would have fit pretty well on Wii U. How hard could it be to shoe in some controller screen functionality?

Will we see Tomb Raider on the Wii U or any other Nintendo Platform?

KS: “At this time no. When we started developing the game we made a conscious decision that it was all about building the game for a platform and making sure the game was specific to that platform. Given that we’ve been working on the game quite a while before Wii U was announced I think it would not be right to try and port it across. If we started building a game for the Wii U we would build it very differently and we would build it with unique functionality.” [Transcribed from Crystal Habit Podcast]

I'm no expert, but I guess that makes sense.

Derrick01

Banned

I think it's a problem because it was 1 question in a pretty lengthy write-up about the actual game and we've had 3 pages so far, most of them complaining that their no WiiU excuse isn't good enough as if they're under some kind of obligation to make one to begin with. Now the discussion is mostly about the state of WiiU third party support and complaining about their reason.

This being combined with all of the other WiiU complaining across multiple games, it gets frustrating.

and yeah I get that us complaining about the complainers isn't helping things either.

FoneBone

I think it's a problem because it was 1 question in a pretty lengthy write-up about the actual game and we've had 3 pages so far, most of them complaining that their no WiiU excuse isn't good enough as if they're under some kind of obligation to make one to begin with. Now the discussion is mostly about the state of WiiU third party support and complaining about their reason.

And I absolutely understand that it's annoying, but I think it's pretty much inevitable.

It's going to be even worse after E3, with (a) people begging for WiiU games to come to the PS4/Xbox 361 ecosystem and (b) people begging for PS4/Xbox 361 games to come to the WiiU. I see the current talk as being a sort of unpleasant but necessary inoculation in advance of all that.

Oppo

This being combined with all of the other WiiU complaining across multiple games, it gets frustrating.
I agree with this. The response CD gave was completely reasonable given the timeframes. And a Mac version is cake these days if the developer is not using DirectX.

The hand-wringing over the Wii U is practically audible. This thread should largely be about the TR reboot and the new info (which all sounds great btw. Loved the trailer too).

It probably will make its way to Wii U, maybe late, but classifying this as an "excuse" is not fair.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm guessing the 360 is the lead platform? The game was unveiled at Microsoft's E3 show last year. I really hope there's more parity with the PS3 version this time. Underworld on PS3 was missing that good looking motion blur the 360 version had. Another thing I noticed from the last tw
Code:
o Crystal Tomb Raider games (Underworld and GoL) they mapped the shooting to the L2/R2 buttons on the dualshock with no option to switch. That was jarring in the TR Collection going from Anniversary and Legend using L1/R1 then going to Underworld and having that switched over without the ability to change it. :/

Besides that, anxious to see more of this new TR.
I'm somewhat interested in the Trilogy Collection (its like $10 online) but this is off-putting. Why, why, why are some devs so stubborn about control layouts!?

JWong

Banned
I don't really see the Wii U thing being important, but the answer sounds stupid to me.

As it is, the Wii U can do everything the other consoles can, so there is no forced need to change things up like they had on Wii. Also I find it crazy they are developing it based on a platform when it's going to be a game released across 4 different platforms.

Can I have your crystal ball?

Loonz

Well, if they don't put the game on the WiiU I won't buy their game as I won't be able to play it. I plan to get a WiiU soon after launch if not at launch. So, it's their loss.

Hari Seldon

Really looking forward to this game. I have played every game in the newest series and I liked pretty much every one of them. PC version for me.

StevieP

Banned
My PC is for work, not games. And I will get rid of the PS3 as soon as the WiiU enters the house, so...

My PC is for work *and* games. You know it only does everything lol.

And why would you rid of the PS3? It is still a great gaming platform, even if it will be long in the tooth by the time the Wii U is out. Unlike the Wii U, its blu ray disk drive can still play movies as well.

Loonz

My PC is for work *and* games. You know it only does everything lol.

And why would you rid of the PS3? It is still a great gaming platform, even if it will be long in the tooth by the time the Wii U is out. Unlike the Wii U, its blu ray disk drive can still play movies as well.

I don't mean to be rude, far from it, but why do you care so much?. I don't have any use for the blu-ray as I don't buy any of those. With one HD platform in home I won't need another, as my time for playing games is getting thinner. I've played most of the PS3 games I'm interested in already. Right now is collecting dust. So the choice is clear for me. This Tomb Raider has to be a groundbreaking game for me to keep the PS3 just for it.

And no, I won't game on the PC I use for work. But if you want to do that with yours, well, be my guest.

EDIT: I will also get rid of the Wii I have. I'm just scaling down my gaming as I have less time for it. It happens that the WiiU seems perfect for me as I will have my Nintendo fix on the same platform I can play some other HD games. It's an obvious choice for me.

pvpness

While that perception is still strong amongst some circles, it's still cutting off potential revenue for themselves. Considering how much it's going to cost them to make the game, why not maximize your chances of making your money back and then some?

I'm really just poking fun at the optimists that think that hardware parity equals 3rd party support parity for Nintendo. I'm completely with you in that it makes perfect business sense to get your product on as many platforms as possible. The thing to remember is that very few companies in this industry actually have good business sense.

The OP should have known that as soon as they put NOWiiU in the title that's what the thread would be about for the most part.

dummydecoy

the story will have a conclusion.

God, I really hope so. I hate cliffhanger endings in games and having to wait a couple of years for a sequel (and if the game sells poorly, no sequel at all!)
Reason why I sold off all my Assassin Creed games. No interest in that game anymore. FU Ubi.

sleepykyo

The WiiU was specifically mentioned and a reason was given for why it wasn't supported. I'm don't see why it is considered port begging.

Somehow I doubt the PS3 version is going to be good anyway.

After 'Zombie Mommy', I'm definitely glad this series is getting a reboot. I really liked Anniversary, but I didn't feel that it made any meaningful gameplay improvements. It was getting kinda stale and clunky IMO, at least compared to what the Prince of Persia series had been doing.

I also hope they can minimize the QTE's they showed at E3 and avoid Uncharted/COD style 'cinematic gameplay.' I like to actually PLAY my games, thankyouverymuch.

Zombie Mommy was hilarious.

It's funny what you said about QTE moments, my major issue with Underworld having gone back and played Anniversary after finishing it is how dumbed down the platforming is by comparison. It's almost like the platforming is QTE driven too in places.

My hope is that it'll get a lot less dumb with this reboot. Otherwise I won't be buying the sequel to it.

I can go either way really. I mean, the scenes in Underworld with Natla, Amanda and Shadow The Tomb Raider are straight up Dynasty meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but I could definitely handle them heading in a somewhat more serious direction.

Nizz

I'm somewhat interested in the Trilogy Collection (its like $10 online) but this is off-putting. Why, why, why are some devs so stubborn about control layouts!?
To be fair it's not all the games in the collection. Tomb Raider Anniversary and Legend used the L1/R1 combination. But Underworld used the L2/R2 buttons with no option to change it. Same with Guardian of Light. :/ I hope this new one gives you the option for L1/R1 to zoom in and shoot.

kuroshiki

Do these dumbass devs/publishers not realize that they could potentially sell a boat load of copies on Wii U if they just rendered in 1080p w/ AA? Look at all the people on the internet counting pixels between different ports, all the comparison videos between PS3/360 titles.

Who gives a shit if there's nothing to put on the tablet. Just display a logo on there and call it day. Then collect your free money. Idiots.

You kidding, right?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This is sounding very intriguing. I'm not at all attached to the series, so I have no objections to it being rebooted. Put me down the the PC version.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
If this company refuses to release a game on a console I don't even own yet they're gonna so rue the dayyyyyyyy * exasperated breathing*

Somehow I doubt the PS3 version is going to be good anyway.

right, because Square-Enix/Eidos have a reputation for shitty PS3 versions/ports...

BlueTsunami said:
If this company refuses to release a game on a console I don't even own yet they're gonna so rue the dayyyyyyyy * exasperated breathing*

Hahaha yeah. I remember when FFVII was announced to be going to the Playstation and not the N64. N64 wasn't even out yet, but I was like "NOT ON A NINTENDO SYSTEM? FUCK YOU SQUARESOFT! YOU WONT GET MY MONEY!!!!!!!!"

I ended up buying FFVII for my Playstation. :D

royalan

True. Still, it's a little sad that this thread, which is in response to some pretty interesting info about the game, is entirely focused on talking about the WiiU which was mentioned in passing.

Then talk about something else.

Only YOU can prevent a Wii U takeover.

True. Still, it's a little sad that this thread, which is in response to some pretty interesting info about the game, is entirely focused on talking about the WiiU which was mentioned in passing.

unfortunately I can see this being a similar trend (which I'm sure was your point to begin with) come E3 when they show this thing playable.

Really excited about this game just from the GI cover story. Tomb Raider is one of those franchises that can really benefit from a reboot.

Then talk about something else.

Only YOU can prevent a Wii U takeover.

I did ;)

Anyway, as TJC says it's just a worrying trend I'm noticing. People are going to start asking about the WiiU and god help us all if they don't give the "right" answer, cos then it's RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE.

Top Bottom