• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tommy Robinson jailed for contempt of court - Will Serve 19 weeks

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
Just as an aside from the main focus of this thread, as a Brit, I don't feel there is a anti-British sentiment present on NeoGAF.
Like anywhere, Britain has its good and its bad. Bad tends to get more attention than good.
I'm all for valid criticism. I'm not going to mis-label it as "anti" something or "hate" - because that's dishonest and it's a sliding scale to a zero-sum equation where words become meaningless.
I agree. It's not about being anti-British. But here's the thing: your British values are at odds with my American values.

If I went to your country, I would be afraid to speak my mind in public or on social media. I've read the stories about the crackdown on free speech in Britain. It is one of the reasons why I will never set foot on British soil.

In America, free speech is everything. It's non-negotiable and the government cannot tell me what I can and can't say as long as I'm not inciting violence. Otherwise I can go out in the street holding a sign that says fuck Islam. Police can't do anything to stop me and neither can another citizen. If they do, I sue them.

Can I do that in the UK? Nope. But... I can hold up a sign that says fuck Christianity and I will be left alone. The law only applies to Islam. You can't criticize Islam publicly in the UK. You get arrested. I think it's because you British, or at least your authorities, are terrified of the Muslims. So afraid of being called racist more than anything else. It's pathetic, just like Britain today.

As you can see, I get angry when I think about what's happening to Britain. It's funny because so many British seem almost comatose. Like they don't even care anymore and just go along with whatever their lords of parliament or imams or whatever decide for them. You're not citizens of a nation. You're subjects of those that reign over you. And it seems like most of the British are okay with it. Hey, we get free shit. The Nanny State takes care of us and everyone else as long as we don't bite the hand that feeds.

So... maybe I am a little anti-British at this point. I don't like your country, I don't like it's laws, and I think the people lack backbone. It's no wonder the migrants want to come to places like the UK. You are ripe for picking, and you won't fight back... and they know it. :)

funkygunther

Dec 22, 2018
Imagine being so obsessed by another country as @Riven326. Absolutely unhinged. I don't think walking into schools and blowing children's brains out is inline with my British values but I'm not anti-American. At least not to the point my mouth lathers up each time there's some political news from yankee land.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Just as an aside from the main focus of this thread, as a Brit, I don't feel there is a anti-British sentiment present on NeoGAF.
Like anywhere, Britain has its good and its bad. Bad tends to get more attention than good.
I'm all for valid criticism. I'm not going to mis-label it as "anti" something or "hate" - because that's dishonest and it's a sliding scale to a zero-sum equation where words become meaningless.
I love the UK... England, Ireland, Scotland, spent a fair amount of time in all of them, would love to go back, sometimes we even discuss moving to Ireland.

That said, I think you guys have all lost the plot a bit. Don't get me wrong, US has its crazies and all, but we've always been a wacky melting pot built around freedom. That freedom gets a bit wild sometimes, but it's people being people in a crazy world.

The UK, however, has always seemed to have a love affair not with freedom, but rather with authoritarianism. And with technology getting as advanced as it is [surveillance, face recognition, etc] that scares the hell out of me especially when you consider they're arresting people for tweets and jokes. What happens if they decide to remove anonymity from the net in the UK? Or simpy start arresting any dissidents causing problems for things they said 5, 10 years previous?

From the perspective of an American who loves freedom, most of Europe perplexes me ever since the EU. A huge contingent of Americans are against any treaty or agreement that would have the power to override our national sovereignty, even if we may agree with the actual text's point. And for a group of nations with such deep rooted heritage, it's shocking how quickly most seem willing to cede it not just to mass migration, but neighboring countries.

I mean, America is huge but nobody really cares if you're from New England, Washington, or Texas. You have an accent at best. But the difference between, say, English and French and Dutch seems important, at least from an outsiders perspective. But it also seems like those national identities are being lost to some degree. I went to France around 9 years ago and was amazed at how much harrassment we got near the Eiffel Tower [finger traps, and other tourist trap theft]. I lived in NYC for ages and it was still shocking, though being from NYC also meant i just told them off and didn't get fleeced. But nowadays? I wouldn't take my family to France anymore. My father in law refuses to go to mainland Europe anymore too. Something justs seems... for lack of a better term, lol, rotten in the state of Denmark.

Granted, it's always different as an outsider. I remember a bunch of friends i made in the UK thought every American open carried or something, which is ridiculous. Im sure there's misconception. But it certainly feels like something's deeply wrong across the pond. Not with the people themselves, but with the governments.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011
Thanks for the replies. I agree with everything said. The concerns expressed are ones I share also.

Like "Florida Man", I think it's possible to paint a picture of a place, such as London, taken from news and headlines, which is not untrue, but is not an entirely accurate reflection of the place at large.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Dec 28, 2006
I love the UK... England, Ireland, Scotland, spent a fair amount of time in all of them, would love to go back, sometimes we even discuss moving to Ireland.
Some of these are not like the others. I think we need to sit down and have a little chat...

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Imagine being so obsessed by another country as @Riven326. Absolutely unhinged. I don't think walking into schools and blowing children's brains out is inline with my British values but I'm not anti-American. At least not to the point my mouth lathers up each time there's some political news from yankee land.
Nothing he said was inaccurate.

Mar 28, 2017
Sheffield, UK
mixer.com
My favourite thing about Yaxley-Lennon isn’t his many convictions that he’s never been responsible for, or the gormless expression he has every time he has to engage in a conversation, but it’s the fact he’s 5’6. Whenever I see someone affiliated with UKIP I take a look at how humourously tiny they are. Farage at 5’8, Benjamin at 5’7. A serious case of small manlet syndrome. Just a bunch of angry chihuahuas.
Well that is very heightist of you.

Dontero

Apr 19, 2018
Expected nothing less from country that can sentence youtuber for teaching his dog heil hitler for joke.

My favourite thing about Yaxley-Lennon isn’t his many convictions that he’s never been responsible for, or the gormless expression he has every time he has to engage in a conversation, but it’s the fact he’s 5’6. Whenever I see someone affiliated with UKIP I take a look at how humourously tiny they are. Farage at 5’8, Benjamin at 5’7. A serious case of small manlet syndrome. Just a bunch of angry chihuahuas.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Tesseract

Kazza

Oct 6, 2018
Reading this thread jogged an old memory, so I got googlling to see if the record would back up my memories, and here it is, an article from way back in 2006 about the then leader of the BNP (British National Party) being charged for stirring up hate in court. Some quotes from the article seem particularly prescient today:

The leader of the British National party, Nick Griffin, told a crowd that white society had turned into a multiracial hell hole, a court heard today.
Mr Griffin claimed that Asian Muslims were trying to conquer the UK, Leeds crown court heard. In a videotape shown to the court, the BNP leader described Islam as a "wicked, vicious faith".

He also allegedly said in one speech that young Asian men were "seducing and raping white girls in this town right now".
In the videotape shown to the jury, Mr Griffin makes a range of accusations about gangs of Muslims involved in a "rape wave" in the West Yorkshire town.
He bemoans what he sees as the lack of police and government action, adding: "Now that sentence could get me seven years in prison."
Mr Jameson said Mr Griffin's speech then turned to allegations of violence by Asian Muslims against whites. The QC said Mr Griffin said: "These 18, 19, and 25-year-old Asian Muslims are seducing and raping white girls in this town right now."
During the speech, Mr Collett allegedly said: "In the space of a week there's always at least two rapes of girls, white girls between the ages of 15 and 16, by gangs of Asians."
"The prosecution allege that each of the six speeches ... included words which were threatening, abusive and insulting towards, in particular, people of Asian ethnicity. Such words were used with the intention of stirring up racial hatred."

It seems that he was cleared of the charges of inciting racial hatred later that year.

Ironically, and tragically, it seems likely that Nick Griffin's accusations probably had the opposite of their intended effect, and led to these kind of crimes being ignored even more than before, as any attempt by the authorities to sort the situation out would have led to accusations of being racist and supporting "far right" conspiracy theories. I have to admit, at the time even I was a little sceptical of Mr Griffin's claims. The media did say he was "far right" after all, and at the time I was a lot more trusting of the MSM than I am today (2006 seems like an age ago now).

Here's an interesting 2017 article from feminist Julie Bindel about how she was onto the rape gangs from 2007, but that the authorities were turning a blind eye due to fear of being accused of being racist. Some choice quotes:

Well over a decade ago I was interviewing these “deniers”, and being fobbed off by social workers, police officers, and some newspaper editors who refused to accept the scale of the abuse I and other campaigners (including the mothers of some of the victims) had uncovered.

Many years before the award-winning journalist Andrew Norfolk wrote his first piece about the grooming gangs in northern towns in England, I was investigating this phenomenon. But despite the quality of material I had amassed, it took me until 2007 to get my first piece published because some editors feared an accusation of racism. In this particular geographical area, many of the members of grooming gangs were of Pakistani origin. As a feminist who has always gone after the men who abuse women and girls, whichever social class or ethnic group they belong to, I was concerned that the story would only be told by racists. The British National Party (BNP) had been already been claiming that nasty Muslim “paedophiles” were preying on innocent white girls

Being a left-wing feminist, she still couldn't let this story about overwhelmingly Pakistani/Muslim rape gangs pass without getting in a jab at white men, of course

What I also discovered was that the police and social services appeared to be scared of intervening in these particular grooming gangs, because a large number of the men involved were of Pakistani Muslim origin. The professionals who were turning a blind eye did not want to be labelled as racist, and did not understand that all they had to do was make it clear that the majority of child sexual abusers and pimps in the UK are white men, and that they were abusing children because they were child abusers, not because they were from a particular ethnicity or religion.

Interestingly, she also seems to back up claims Griffin made in the speeches he was prosecuted for about Muslim gangs being heavily involved in drug dealing:

Many of these men had been involved in peddling hard drugs in the past, until that became too risky.

Despite the predictable dunking on white men, I have to admire her going against her own left wing circles and the establishment to continue to pursue justice for these young girls. One last quote:

The ethnic origin of the men was irrelevant, but many of them were allowed to get away with the rape and abuse of young girls because of the cowards who would do anything for a quiet life.

When, in 2005, I investigated the disappearance of a 14-year-old girl from Blackpool named Charlene Downes, I discovered that she had been sexually abused by a number of men in the town prior to going missing. When I approached newspapers to commission an article on Charlene’s case I was told by a number of editors that it was “too sensitive” because the men being investigated by police were illegal asylum seekers. My piece eventually did get published in 2008, and no racist attempted to capitalise from it, as they already had been doing so well before then.

I haven't followed Tommy's case close enough to give an opinion, but I hope the above gives a little background context to the whole situation, and why people like him might be upset at the lack of coverage these trials have been getting. While I wouldn't say they have been covered up, they have been extremely low key, One can't help but wonder how the coverage would have differed if the ethnicities had been switched...

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Schrödinger's cat
Dec 15, 2011
Reading this thread jogged an old memory, so I got googlling to see if the record would back up my memories, and here it is, an article from way back in 2006 about the then leader of the BNP (British National Party) being charged for stirring up hate in court. Some quotes from the article seem particularly prescient today:

It seems that he was cleared of the charges of inciting racial hatred later that year.

Ironically, and tragically, it seems likely that Nick Griffin's accusations probably had the opposite of their intended effect, and led to these kind of crimes being ignored even more than before, as any attempt by the authorities to sort the situation out would have led to accusations of being racist and supporting "far right" conspiracy theories. I have to admit, at the time even I was a little sceptical of Mr Griffin's claims. The media did say he was "far right" after all, and at the time I was a lot more trusting of the MSM than I am today (2006 seems like an age ago now).

Here's an interesting 2017 article from feminist Julie Bindel about how she was onto the rape gangs from 2007, but that the authorities were turning a blind eye due to fear of being accused of being racist. Some choice quotes:

Being a left-wing feminist, she still couldn't let this story about overwhelmingly Pakistani/Muslim rape gangs pass without getting in a jab at white men, of course

Interestingly, she also seems to back up claims Griffin made in the speeches he was prosecuted for about Muslim gangs being heavily involved in drug dealing:

Despite the predictable dunking on white men, I have to admire her going against her own left wing circles and the establishment to continue to pursue justice for these young girls. One last quote:

I haven't followed Tommy's case close enough to give an opinion, but I hope the above gives a little background context to the whole situation, and why people like him might be upset at the lack of coverage these trials have been getting. While I wouldn't say they have been covered up, they have been extremely low key, One can't help but wonder how the coverage would have differed if the ethnicities had been switched...
Interesting.

Compare that with the unbridled enthusiasm the same media is indulging in reporting on Tommy Robinson. For example, this lengthy piece published on the BBC website the same day as his conviction (presumably drafted beforehand). Plus the fact that this article is promoted on the BBC news website homepage at present:

I have stronger views on child rape gangs than I do on Tommy Robinson.

However, the apparent politics and complicity of the MSM in their handling and coverage raises yet more questions about transparency and honesty. None of which are addressed by foisting reactionary labels on those asking the questions.

Kazza

Oct 6, 2018
Interesting.

Compare that with the unbridled enthusiasm the same media is indulging in reporting on Tommy Robinson. For example, this lengthy piece published on the BBC website the same day as his conviction (presumably drafted beforehand). Plus the fact that this article is promoted on the BBC news website homepage at present:

I have stronger views on child rape gangs than I do on Tommy Robinson.

However, the apparent politics and complicity of the MSM in their handling and coverage raises yet more questions about transparency and honesty. None of which are addressed by foisting reactionary labels on those asking the questions.
I think I would have to spend a good few hours researching the background to Tommy and the whole case in order to form an opinion I would feel confident standing by. Unfortunately, I don't have that time. Of course, doing that kind of research is supposed to be journalists' job, and in an ideal (or even just a non-clown world) all I would have to do is read a few well-researched articles by objective and trustworthy journalists, but of course that's not the world we are living in right now.

In that BBC article, it says:

When he was released, he appeared angrier - but also more focused. In a speech to the Oxford Union later that year, his target became clear. He focused on sexual grooming gangs from predominantly Asian backgrounds. He accused the police of facilitating "the rape of children" for 20 years because they were afraid of being called racist.
I mean, that's pretty much an established fact right now, right? I don't think even the MSM deny it anymore, they just want to sweep it all under the carpet. Seeing a working class lad like Tommy being dog-piled by all sections of the establishment media, from The Guardian to The Sun, I have a natural reaction to feel for the underdog.

You're right, the media's anger towards "far-right" people perceived to be "taking advantage" of narrative-breaking situations (from terrorism to rape gangs) often seems much, much greater than that directed towards the perpetrators of the crimes themselves. Tommy claimed that the prison authorities deliberately put him in danger the last time he was imprisoned by deliberately putting him with known violent Muslim prisoners. I wonder if anything similar will happen this time.

Panda1

Jan 12, 2010
Risked a mistrial on a case to do with the subject he claims to care so much about all so that he could promote himself
Is a literal fraudster
Has a history of violence
Doing so badly when he stood for election that he lost his deposit. He didn't even run in the area he lives and was smugly telling local people "I'm going to be your MEP and there's nothing you can do about it"
Ignores cases of child abuse that aren't politically convenient to him, including those with groups he has had links with.

Quick question - do you like fucking kids ?

Panda1

Jan 12, 2010
Nope,part of why I think he's a prick. He could have risked the trial of those pieces of shit.
Can you name any of the pedo's or what sentences they got - you know a lot about Tommy, so Im assuming you are very familiar with any of these cases.

DKehoe

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2007
Can you name any of the pedo's or what sentences they got - you know a lot about Tommy, so Im assuming you are very familiar with any of these cases.
Robinson has made himself into a public figure through his self promotion. Of course I know who he is better than the pedos. And of course I think they are worse than him, no shit. There was 20 sentenced so no I don't know all of their names and they got varying sentences. They managed to not catch all of them so the case was still a major fuck up. I can think the pedos are fucking scum and still criticise Robinson. There's not exactly a defence force for them so there's not too much need to discuss whether or not they are scum. However it's apparently still up for debate with Robinson.

Panda1

Jan 12, 2010
Robinson has made himself into a public figure through his self promotion. Of course I know who he is better than the pedos. And of course I think they are worse than him, no shit. There was 20 sentenced so no I don't know all of their names and they got varying sentences. They managed to not catch all of them so the case was still a major fuck up. I can think the pedos are fucking scum and still criticise Robinson. There's not exactly a defence force for them so there's not too much need to discuss whether or not they are scum. However it's apparently still up for debate with Robinson.
So no then.
You dont even know 1 thing about the pedos. If you were really invested you might have googled and done some research. No one gives a flying fuck about the girls or pedos. Everyone can dog pile Tommy because then they can pretend not to be racist and enabling child rape.

In the UK the white man cannot talk about any actual underlying issue, only be outrages about people bringing it up! It is truly clown world here.

Last edited:

Panda1

Jan 12, 2010

YOu miss the point completely, any one can google it - I wanted someone to say off the top of someone head. I would be willing to place a bet that I could ask 100 people here and not one would know one name, but everyone will know Tommy Robinson is a racist.

There are tens of thousands of victims. you would think it makes Harvery Weinstein look small time. The fact that no one can name one person is very telling.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2007
It was a case I was following at the time since it was pretty high profile and thought the government had fucked up badly. But it was about a year ago that the sentencing happened so no I don't remember exact names other than them going by nicknames like Bully and Dracula.

If you read the way the thread wen. Someone else made fun of Robinson's height. I said there were better reasons to make fun of him. So to you this now means I don't care about the case and apparently thought it was worthwhile asking if I like fucking kids? Pretty fucking big leap of logic to take there.

Last edited:

Panda1

Jan 12, 2010
It was a case I was following at the time
A case you are following where you can't remember anything about the rapists? Come on man.
Or is it that they are all Pakistani Muslims and you cant touch that as a white man!

DKehoe

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2007
A case you are following where you can't remember anything about the rapists? Come on man.
Or is it that they are all Pakistani Muslims and you cant touch that as a white man!
Like I said there was 20 of them and it was a year ago when I could have named names. I could have googled them and pretended I remembered today but realistically most people can't remember something like that and it seems a weird bad faith argument that you are claiming I should. You seem to still be under the assumption that I'm not being critical of them when I've already said they are scum. The ones that only got sentences like 5 years should have got far, far worse.

I know more about Robinson because this isn't the only case where he's tried to make himself the focus. He's a public figure so naturally more people are aware of him.

Last edited:

funkygunther

Dec 22, 2018
YOu miss the point completely, any one can google it - I wanted someone to say off the top of someone head. I would be willing to place a bet that I could ask 100 people here and not one would know one name, but everyone will know Tommy Robinson is a racist.

There are tens of thousands of victims. you would think it makes Harvery Weinstein look small time. The fact that no one can name one person is very telling.
What is telling about it? The ones convicted under Yewtree that weren't famous already are still not household names. So what's the crusade here?

Jon Neu

..he neus nothing
Jan 21, 2018
Republic of Catalonia
They aren't a plague. They were dealt with, albeit too slowly. The real pedophiles that are still at large in top organisations, the same people who threw Saville to the wolves, are using the race of these grooming gangs as a distraction. "white people can't be pedophiles so the top MP's, Police and Media can't therefore be pedophiles"
Oh boy, what a fucking shitshow.

Stop with the ridiculous strawmans, nobody thinks that white people can't be pedophiles, especially if they are powerful enough. The fact that you have to bring "white people" and tell us that they also can be pedophiles, already makes you look like a fucking joke.

People from every race can be pedophiles, but we are talking about people who literally worship a pedophile, who literally come from cultures in which pedophilia and sex slavery for children aren't wrong. And those people are being protected and the cases silenced, simply because they are muslim and therefore you can't critizice their religion or their culture, because that makes you "racist" or "islamophobe".

And if GAF was the reversal of REERA, you would have been already banned. Not only for your opinions, but for attacking the site.

Go there and try to do that and then come back and say both are the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Panda1 and LMJ

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
You'd probably just have to splash the kids with acid or stab them to be more in line with your British values. Or just get your gang together and fuck them until they age out of your preferred target demographic.

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
Oh boy, what a fucking shitshow.

Stop with the ridiculous strawmans, nobody thinks that white people can't be pedophiles, especially if they are powerful enough. The fact that you have to bring "white people" and tell us that they also can be pedophiles, already makes you look like a fucking joke.

People from every race can be pedophiles, but we are talking about people who literally worship a pedophile, who literally come from cultures in which pedophilia and sex slavery for children aren't wrong. And those people are being protected and the cases silenced, simply because they are muslim and therefore you can't critizice their religion or their culture, because that makes you "racist" or "islamophobe".

And if GAF was the reversal of REERA, you would have been already banned. Not only for your opinions, but for attacking the site.

Go there and try to do that and then come back and say both are the same.
Hold on, step back. I think I've explained wrong + you've understood wrong.

I'm not saying white people can't be paedophiles. All i'm saying is that the true paedo ring, at the very top of the British establishment, which has been running for decades, was very close to being uncovered. IMO, the very top Paedo ring threw out a few sacrificial lambs (ex BBC presenters who were complicit and Saville who was the main ring-leader) to divert attention away from the top Paedo ring.

On top of that, there was rising public opinion that the BBC was full of paedos and that the MP's and Scotland yard either knew about it, were involved or both.

However, as soon as that sentiment came to prominence, a huge scandal broke about the grooming gangs in Rotherham. This gang had been operating for years and hadn't been stopped due to racism. However, the BBC ran this story into the ground and for the first time ever (that I recall seeing) they referred to Asians as Pakistani men.

IMO. The BBC used the cover-up of the grooming gangs, due to racism to their advantage. It removed all public sentiment away from the BBC and more towards the Islam/Muslim community and the broken police force that daren't stop them due to being perceived as racists.

Now observe any time a paedo is mentioned; nobody talks about Glitter or Saville, it's all about the Grooming gangs.

And again, the top paedo ring at the BBC, Scotland yard and government get away scot free, without any inquiry.

TL;DR Grooming gangs were a scape goat to get the public angry about a different group of people, in order to divert attention away from the BBC et al.

P.S. fuck resetera and everyone on that board. Those pieces of shit are the ones who ruined gaf for many years and almost destroyed a GAMING FORUM because of their bullshit politics. Fuck Resetera, fuck them in their stupid arses.

Reactions: Jon Neu