• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tons of Japanese devs share thoughts about the Switch presentation and Switch itself

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Words words words.

I've seen these developer scrawls from the Super Nintendo all the way down to Wii U. They often don't result in ever seeing an actual game for the platform. I'll wait until I see a game to back up the bluster.

• Suda 51 made NMH 1 & 2 for the Wii
  • Ryota Aomi is already bringing a game to the Switch
  • Mizuki Hosoyamada's Puyo games have appeared on various Nintendo system and Puyopuyo Tetris is coming to Switch
  • Katsuhiro Harada gave us Pokken and Namco has helped Nintendo a lot with various games
  • Kenichiro Takaki came up with Senran Kagura because of the 3DS' 3D screen
  • Ryozo Tsujimoto responsible for Monster Hunter. One doesn't really need to say much more about that.

Buggy Loop

If only there was some sort of way to take those analog sticks off so the Switch would fit in a sleeve...

tenor.gif

This is how HD rumble works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_6rMa9_UvQ

I'm pretty sure even simple textures can be inputted with relative ease, like bubbles.

Demonstration begins around 2 minutes in.

No the Wii U wont be able to simulate bubbles. Idk if yall got a iphone 7? But it has some kind of HD Rumble in it.

For instance when you drag the taskbar window thingy down from the top and let it hit the bottom of the phone screen it feel like something hit the bottom of the screen like a window being dragged down

Oh ok. Well then.. I don't think RMC would exaggerate on what he felt, so maybe Aonuna's was misinterpreted after all.

Thanks for the link, Jonneh3003.

Asd202

HD Rumble has worked really well as a buzzword because people can immediately understand what it means even though they haven't used it hands-on yet.

The problem is it's hard to imagine you have to try it as such most will not care about it. It's not like Wii motion controls which were far more easily marketable in commercials and such.

My guess is HD rumble as a feature or a gimmick if you want to call it like that will end up somewhere between Wii Motion controls (huge craze and all games supported it) and 3D from 3DS (which in the end was made absolutely redundant and nobody cared about it) in terms of support

ryechu

I'm a nobody. Just a consumer. You remember consumers, right? We're the ones that decided the Wii U was an overpriced, underpowered, gimmick-laden waste of money, which led to its failure. There was no end to the developers praising the Wii U before it released. They scattered pretty quickly once the nobody consumers spoke. I look at the price of the Switch, but especially at the idiotic price of peripherals and I balk. And if someone like me who is spends a lot on games and game hardware is balking at the price, imagine what the average consumer is going to do, especially in the face of far more powerful consoles that are cheaper and have actual third party support.

Wii U did that too, and then it died. I'm not seeing yet why this is going to be different. At least not until they make the portable part of the equation actually portable.

you sure love painting things in black or white to support your contrived patterns. Toning down the hyperbole mitigate people reacting at you and might actually encourage discussion. Either way, in a speculation thread, whats the point in communicating an insular opinion? How is "rumble is not an enticing feature" therefore neither "will HD rumble" supposed to be a compelling point of argument. Most of us haven't tried it yet, these devs have, and maybe they aren't lying.

ultrazilla

I think a really good example of what the HD Rumble *could* do is take a game like
"Fruit Ninja". With the slicing of the different fruits, you'd have different vibrations based on the fruit you're slicing. A banana would be a smooth slice- a quick, smooth vibration and then compare that to a coconut that would produce an initial hard vibration on the joystick but then ease up to a smoother vibration once you started slicing through it. If a bomb comes up, the Joycon(s) have a violent rumble to simulate the explosion.

hao chi

As someone who would be perfectly happy with the Switch if it became the home for many Japanese 3DS and Vita developers even if it doesn't get much support from major Western developers, I'm very happy to read these comments. I especially like all the excitement over HD rumble, as well as comments about the system being cheaper than expected based on the tech Nintendo used.

KtSlime

Basic control input is not a gimmick. That said, there's nothing wrong with a gimmick as long as the focus is the game. All too often it's been gimmick first, game 2nd.

Too many of those comments sound like that. "I want players to feel something soft". Yeah, that sounds like a fun game.

Maybe you are too young to remember, but what you call basic control input was not always the case. That layout was brought to you by Nintendo, before that game controls were mostly designed specifically for the game you were playing. Everything starts out as a gimmick before it becomes widely accepted and then everyone sees it as the standard and norm.

And If you didn't get it, Kenichiro was making a boob joke.

If Ishii produces a novel of the same quality as 428, that would make Switch the true successor to Wii for me. Actual Xenoblade sequel, No More Heroes 3 (at least I think it's NMH3?), and a new Ishii novel. I'm not ready.

I love how HD rumble is considered a gimmick, but HD graphics and VR are not when all serve exactly the same purpose: To increase the immersion by bringing a more indepth and realistic sensory stimulation. Does a game being at 720p or even SD rather than 1080p really change how the gameplay works or add anything besides immersion? Of course not. And yet the same people calling HD rumble a gimmick are the people who obsess over power and graphics and resolution. VR is similar (Though some technologies commonly associated with VR such as head tracking are different, though even those technically don't require the use of a VR display, and could probably be done just as well using other display methods, albiet with more difficulty or more setup required)

I love how HD rumble is considered a gimmick, but HD graphics and VR are not when all serve exactly the same purpose: To increase the immersion by bringing a more indepth and realistic sensory stimulation. Does a game being at 720p or even SD rather than 1080p really change how the gameplay works or add anything besides immersion? Of course not. And yet the same people calling HD rumble a gimmick are the people who obsess over power and graphics and resolution. VR is similar (Though some technologies commonly associated with VR such as head tracking are different, though even those technically don't require the use of a VR display, and could probably be done just as well using other display methods, albiet with more difficulty or more setup required)

VR isn't considered a gimmick?

Hattori

Banned
  • Suda 51 made NMH 1 & 2 for the Wii
  • Ryota Aomi is already bringing a game to the Switch
  • Mizuki Hosoyamada's Puyo games have appeared on various Nintendo system and Puyopuyo Tetris is coming to Switch
  • Katsuhiro Harada gave us Pokken and Namco has helped Nintendo a lot with various games
  • Kenichiro Takaki came up with Senran Kagura because of the 3DS' 3D screen
  • Ryozo Tsujimoto responsible for Monster Hunter. One doesn't really need to say much more about that.
Checkmate atheists

Who is Yoko Taro.
an enigma

Atheerios

Laptops are clamshells like a DS/3DS. Perfect for portability. iPads easily slip into a protective sleeve. The analog sticks are the biggest reason I'd be hesitant to slip my Switch into a bag. There's definitely going to be a more portable version in the future.

That's a terrible argument and just your personal preference. You can just get a case for it.

A lot of people are gonna buy Switch because of its portability. Myself included. I have been waiting for a new powerful handheld.

Funny to see how different the dev response is to the Switch price compared to GAF and the media. Devs all seem to think it's a bargain because of the system's tech.

Funny to see how different the dev response is to the Switch price compared to GAF and the media. Devs all seem to think it's a bargain because of the system's tech.
I think GAF draws comparisons to PS4 and Xbox One even though the hardware is very different. Switch may be a home console but the form factor is a tablet and in that regard there are few, if any, tablets that match it in value. Throw in the joy-cons and dock and I think it's a pretty affordable product for what it is.

Tripolygon

Banned
You're drawing a distinction where there is none. In fact VR also is a space that requires good haptics feedback. That is why there has been many research in that field, hence why both vive and Oculus touch both employ HD Haptics in the form of a Linear Resonant Actuator. I dont doubt that its same tech that is used in Joycon. Google Haptics VR and you will see a lot of technology being employed in order to get some kind of physical feedback in a virtual environment.

And HD graphics is not a gimmick. HD rumble is a gimmick. Search what a gimmick means.

StereoVsn

Iffy maybe making Neptunia games for Switch? Damn it. You win this round Nintendo.
Considering that Switch library is fairly bare and Neptunia games aren't exactly power hungry it would be leaving money off the table for them not to at least port the latest games over.

It's a good sign that the smaller developers are preparing to launch on the Switch since Vita is almost dead even in Japan and 3DS is going to be done next year. Hopefully Switch will inherit both platforms (PS4/Switch/PC will probably be common platform out of Japan).

btrboyev

The thing is cheap for the price of the parts, huh? That doesn't exempt it from being compared price-wise to other systems sadly.

While there is no way the switch comes close to the other systems in power. The actual hardware and chipset itself is newer than what you will find in an Xbox One or PS4.

Oregano

I'm surprised that for the most part they think it's much cheaper than they were expecting. I hope most of these Devs are actually working on stuff.

Cuburt

HD rumble sounds like a feature, not something that Nintendo is banking on selling millions of Switches.

Where did this line of thought even come from?

If HD Rumble was supposed to be as big a selling point to Nintendo as you all are implying, how come no commercials have even highlighted it yet?
Wii was all in your face with motion controls. Note the difference

It makes the cries for 1, 2 Switch to be a pack-in really bizarre to me, since it's only a feature of the console and not software that embodies the hardware nor positions it to audiences and developers for what kind of software people can expect from the Switch, at all. In fact, the people that seem to be the most vocal about it being a pack-in are also the ones who are quick to lament the gimmick nature of the game and it seeming to point to Nintendo wanting to go in a casual direction with the console (which going by the rest of the announce games, it really isn't the case).

It's an interesting demonstration of the tech, it's probably overpriced for many people, and it's also not a game for everyone, but it's not the showcase of the hardware and it's messaging. Local multiplayer games that actually use the screen are a better showcase. A console game like Zelda on-the-go is a better showcase. 1, 2 Switch is a specific example of a type of game, a compelling example for a party game that relies on feel and motion sensing more than visuals and bringing the console with you wherever you go, but that is not what you are trying to sell this console on, to anyone one. It's AN experience, not THE experience.

HD Rumble might be a thing that can help sell people on the system, but Nintendo knows they have to sell it on the breadth of game experiences they are offering. They also have to maintain their marketing hook of the system which is TV mode/tabletop mode/portable mode -> multiplayer out of the box and on-the-go -> a variety of game experiences -> everything else. HD Rumble is supplemental just like motion controls, just like touch screen.

Poor Yoko Taro.
Glad to hear Platinum is doing...something. Those guys are the best.
Interesting that a lot think the price is generous and they value HD rumble as much as they do.
Really hope Japan takes to Switch. Really needs as much support from there as it could get

Oregano

It makes the cries for 1, 2 Switch to be a pack-in really bizarre to me, since it's only a feature of the console and not software that embodies the hardware nor positions it to audiences and developers for what kind of software people can expect from the Switch, at all. In fact, the people that seem to be the most vocal about it being a pack-in are also the ones who are quick to lament the gimmick nature of the game and it seeming to point to Nintendo wanting to go in a casual direction with the console (which going by the rest of the announce games, it really isn't the case).

It's an interesting demonstration of the tech, it's probably overpriced for many people, and it's also not a game for everyone, but it's not the showcase of the hardware and it's messaging. Local multiplayer games that actually use the screen are a better showcase. A console game like Zelda on-the-go is a better showcase. 1, 2 Switch is a specific example of a type of game, a compelling example for a party game that relies on feel and motion sensing more than visuals and bringing the console with you wherever you go, but that is not what you are trying to sell this console on, to anyone one. It's AN experience, not THE experience.

HD Rumble might be a thing that can help sell people on the system, but Nintendo knows they have to sell it on the breadth of game experiences they are offering. They also have to maintain their marketing hook of the system which is TV mode/tabletop mode/portable mode -> multiplayer out of the box and on-the-go -> a variety of game experiences -> everything else. HD Rumble is supplemental just like motion controls, just like touch screen.

The problem with packing 1 2 Switch in would be that people would then say "I don't want that game, I wish they didn't force you to buy it and sold the console for a lower price."

You're drawing a distinction where there is none. In fact VR also is a space that requires good haptics feedback. That is why there has been many research in that field, hence why both vive and Oculus touch both employ HD Haptics in the form of a Linear Resonant Actuator. I dont doubt that its same tech that is used in Joycon. Google Haptics VR and you will see a lot of technology being employed in order to get some kind of physical feedback in a virtual environment.

And HD graphics is not a gimmick. HD rumble is a gimmick. Search what a gimmick means.
I'm confused. So why is HD rumble a gimmick, but not HD graphics? I mean in the derisive sense people are using it in now rather than the strictest dictionary sense. Unless you mean because HD graphics is the standard now, though I'd argue people weren't calling that a gimmick when the 360 and ps3 were coming out. If you want to be technical, why is HD rumble a gimmick, but nobody calls 4K resolution a gimmick around here?

Basic control input is not a gimmick. That said, there's nothing wrong with a gimmick as long as the focus is the game. All too often it's been gimmick first, game 2nd.

You might want to brush up on your video game history and see what the control inputs are for the main video game systems prior to the NES/Famicom. Or, for that matter, the "gimmicks" that Nintendo has introduced that has become ubiquitous to the video game systems you like today.

"Gimmick: an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention or increase appeal."

HD Graphics is essentially that, theres a reason 900p vs 1080p was a point of contention in the console warz at the beginning of this generation, its exactly why 4k is being pushed so hard as a selling point for PS4Pro and Scorpio. They're using Increased Resolution to attract attention and increase appeal for their systems. Hence HD Graphics are a gimmick.

OryoN

Funny how people who actually know something about hardware(and the console itself) seem to agree think that the Switch is underpriced for all it's bringing to the table. GAF, on the other hand...well, will continue being GAF.

ryechu

That's not how Rumble technology, nor the laws of Physics, works.

Dont tell the joycon what it can and can't do. I can't find a valid explanation for the weight of the switch console without HD rumble. The thing can probably start flying with enough RnD. It would be great for bedside gaming if you could just prop the system up in the air with HD rumble.

Funny how people who actually know something about hardware(and the console itself) seem to agree think that the Switch is underpriced for all it's bringing to the table. GAF, on the other hand...well, will continue being GAF.

I guess I missed most of the fun, hit me up with that shit.

Gimmick is used in a negative light when it refers to something that negatively impacts gameplay.
HD Rumble does nothing of the sort.

That's not how Rumble technology, nor the laws of Physics, works.

Specific vibrations making something feel lighter or heavier is more of a matter of physiology and psychology than physics. I'm not saying the Switch is advanced enough to do it, but creating these sensations is something that haptics can do.

HD Rumble is actually, legitimately great. I fully expect all next gen controllers to implement it.

I'm so excited to (hopefully) get Skyrim with this tech.

To everyone writing off HD rumble so quickly, just imagine it being fully realized in Skyrim. It would really add a hell of a lot of immersion.

Top Bottom