• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tons of Silent Hill Fi--I mean, Silent Hill: Homecoming screens

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Please don't ban me for this, but this looks like dog shit combined with bull shit.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
NeonBlade said:
My extreme anger has turned into total depression.

why ? now the game can be ported to all available systems not only HD , so more ppl will buy and play , more profit for konami , Akira Yamaoka's bank account will rise ..win-win-win Situation the only big losers are the original Team silent + SH fans + SH franchise that went to shitland.

:(

sh501.jpg

vs.

sod01.jpg

"Bad next-gen, bad!"

Dever

Banned
What is this shit? I swear the game looked like 3 times better than this when it was first revealed(On the 1UP show, I think). What happened? It looked really smooth, red, rusty and had good lighting IIRC.

There are NO bigger horror fans then myself, KTallGuy,The Jolly,Wollan and Kyoufu and wow...I'd have to say we all agree this looks ridiculous.

Ridiculous as in this better be from the heretofore unmentioned PSP version..

WTF happened?

Totobeni said:
The Collective

:(

It's absolutely uncanny. How can a game that looked decent (though still not particularly impressive, this coming from a Silent Hill fan) actually look WORSE six months later? It's absolutely ridiculous.

supercake

Since The Collective is an american based developer (right?), I assumed they would have somebody makeing the rounds at message boards and such.

Are they in contact with any SH messageboards at all? I don't go to any SH sites so I have no idea.

Worries me because if the game does turn out like this, there's going to have to be some explaining on their part, if its as lousy as these screenshots makes us believe.

Mikey 2x4

pick up your hentai tomorrow
XHitoshuraX said:
It's absolutely uncanny. How can a game that looked decent (though still not particularly impressive, this coming from a Silent Hill fan) actually look WORSE six months later? It's absolutely ridiculous.

It really is. I had high hopes as I've like the other games The Collective have done, but this... this just looks bad.

MechaX

x3sphere said:
Maybe this why Konami dropped the "5" from the title.

I actually think this is the reason as well. If Homecoming fails, Konami could merely just say "LOL, gotcha! Seriously, real SHV is coming eventually" as a sort of trap door.

I still have some optimism in this project, but good God, did that last screenshot crush most of my hopes.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Vaxadrin said:
What I don't understand is, why do the PR screens look like this? Usually PR screens are bullshots, which would especially benefit a game like this, but instead they sent these out with the blurry textures, aliasing and everything.

Actually, SH4 back-compat on the 360 looks considerably better throughout.

I just tested that, apart from the horrid forced 4:3 resize (Losing half of my screens real-estate), indeed the indoor sections look far more detailed than the pictures produced here. wtf indeed.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
XHitoshuraX said:

it's not the only game that got downgrade , that happend to Alone in the Dark too , before we know about the extra last gen vers ( PS2+Wii ) the game look very good and next gen , then it went to last gen era even for X360/PS3 vers .

the funky thing here that there is no last gen vers announced yet for SH:HC . ( soon maybe ? )

Maybe this why Konami dropped the "5" from the title.

they should keep S H also but replace " ilent ill" with "hit ole "

hiryu

Fuck Konami for outsourcing this. Do they even make good games anymore that don't involve Castlevania or Soccer?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
XHitoshuraX said:
Well, I've seen that happen pretty often (though not to this degree). A lot of times, the first showing is the most impressive with the following demonstrations appearing less impressive (though many of these titles end up looking great in the end). Remember that one really bad batch of Mass Effect screens?

Uhhhh wait, what does Konami have other than MGS franchise?

Maybe they spent all their development resources making Kojimas frankenstein. That left little room for a even a decent budget on a second major franchise which is as we all know Silent Hill.

Damn Konami... :( Damn....

You'd think with all that fog they could spend some processing cycles on a few more polygons.

Maybe the fog is volumetric and flowing all over the place. MAYBE THE GAME IS ALL ABOUT THE FOG????

In short, the way it simulates not being able to see stuff in the fog is amazing. Everything else looks like crap.

dark10x

SDZeta said:
I'll take a chance and say that the final game will be great.
It could still happen.

The game would look significantly better if they increase texture detail, which really doesn't seem like it should be all that difficult considering the size of the environments. Of course, perhaps they are working on streaming the entire world this time (rather than breaking it up) and are have issues with handling the data? There has to be something wrong here.

The initial footage of the game actually looked nice, not amazing, but pretty solid. These latest shots give the impression that the game engine is not functioning properly.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Revelations said:
Uhhhh wait, what does Konami have other than MGS franchise?

Damn Konami... :( Damn....

come on now the freaking game not even being made by Konami's internal studios.

also they have very good/big franchises Power Pros , Contra , Pro Evolution Soccer ,Dance Dance Revolution , Castlevania ..ect

Dever

Banned
Damnit OP, why didn't you post the hilarious vagina face monster? :lol

silent-hill-homecoming-200804250954.jpg

Nice water physics too. Looks like they're stuck in ice.

dark10x

Dever said:

If that IS water, it looks awful, but if it is something else, it's kind of a cool effect. That shot isn't bad, really, but again, the textures look as if they haven't finished loading (especially his jacket).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dever said:

silent-hill-homecoming-200804250954.jpg

That's not water...

right?

Greg

Oh, I get it - it's one of those games inside of a game.

Clearly, you play this at an abandoned arcade... and I guess I can see why. :lol

dark10x

Greg said:
Oh, I get it - it's one of those games inside of a game.

Clearly, you play this at an abandoned arcade... and I guess I can see why. :lol
Heh, have you ever tried playing Doom or Quake within one of the computer screens in Quake Wars? THAT is cool. :D

mr_nexus

Banned
At this rate, by the time the game comes out it's going to be on one of those Tiger electronic games. "Comes free with new spooky Happy Meal!"

ksamedi said:
I can't believe a Silent Hill game looks so bad on the PS3. Its one of those games that should have benefitted greatly from the extra power HD machines provide. This looks lika a complete mess. I'm still trying to be optimistic for this game because we haven't seen videos yet and the the franchise never dissapointed me but its getting real hard to not think this will be crap.
This is one of my GF's favorite series. She's gonna be pretty upset when she sees these pics. What a shame.

Totobeni said:
come on now the freaking game not even being made by Konami's internal studios.
Isn't it odd they pass a big franchise like Silent Hill off to a outsourcer when they made a internal team specially for it? And I still stand by my question, what else does Konami have other than MGS franchise? They cant afford to mess up the few that they do have. None of the shit you mentioned has worldwide appeal except for Castlevania. And even then its iffy if that series can make a profitable comaback to console.

Silent Hill use to be my fav horror franchise. But if the gameplay videos don't look right and the visuals continue to degrade then after MGS4 Konami is dead to me.

Its absolutely stunning.

Silent Hill was not only of the gaming’s most influential horror series (in a genre full of RE clones and semi horror thriller titles), it was a fantastic representation of gaming's ability to inflict a kind of psychological uncertainty using the medium's greatest assets. From both a graphical standpoint and a story (plot) standpoint, the Silent Hill series was, in my opinion, completely far and above the Resident Evil titles (I suppose that isn't a particularly fair comparison since they represent the opposite spectrum of horror; RE being more "twitchy" and SH being more "disturbing").

Look at my fucking avatar, I'm a SH NUT and I could not be more devastated.

Le sigh Konami, LE SIGH.

Awful art direction, awful on a technological level. It has truly been outsourced to the most inept of developers.

If Konami have any self respect they should kill this project and let Silent Hill fade into the ether if they're not going to give it the respect it deserves.

Top Bottom