• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk`s Pro Skater 5 won`t even run without the "patch".

Disappointing that the Sony and MS certification processes allow for this. Yes I know they're mostly about whether the games don't blow up the console or have security features, but I don't see how more than half the game's content being not even found in the disc is acceptable.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Disappointing that the Sony and MS certification processes allow for this. Yes I know they're mostly about whether the games don't blow up the console or have security features, but I don't see how more than half the game's content being not even found in the disc is acceptable.

Even Microsoft did it with Forza 5.

Famassu

Did people really want this game? Was there enough demand found by the people in charge of deciding whether or not to make a new Tony Hawk? How did this game even come about, and in this state no less. The fact that the game came out in any form astounds me.
Kind of? I haven't been actively yearning for a new game, but even seeing some bleh footage of this game kinda awakened a thirst to play something like this again. I even thought about buying THPS5 if the game turned out to be just mediocre with some fun to be had and not complete shit, just to quench the worst THPS-thirst. I won't, but I almost wanted to. That's how badly I wanted to play an arcade-y extreme sport game again.

Hanmik

Ehhh would someone please confirm this, instead of going crazy over a tweet from a guy who watched another guy play the game on twitch..?

Tony Hawk 5 looks pretty shit but the topic of this thread is in no way verified at all, and this thread is premature as fuck.

It's some guy going "I think this maybe" presented here as fact.

IvorB

Well this is where it's all heading. Every broken game that gets by without censure takes things one step closer.

CorySchmitz

I just got to the second level without a patch :X I know it's a fun game to hate on because it is not very good at all but I'm not sure if this is an actual issue... it doesn't seem to be an issue on PS4, at least.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I just got to the second level without a patch :X I know it's a fun game to hate on because it is not very good at all but I'm not sure if this is an actual issue... it doesn't seem to be an issue on PS4, at least.

Could you get beyond the second level?

Famassu

Tony Hawk 5 looks pretty shit but the topic of this thread is in no way verified at all, and this thread is premature as fuck.

It's some guy going "I think this maybe" presented here as fact.
People are saying the patch is bigger than the game itself. I think we can make an educated guess that there's at least some content being added by the patch.

When I worked in certification, we played through full games, reported graphical bugs, sound bugs, gameplay bugs, hangs, worked to ensure all trophies were unlockable etc... And games would fail if they racked up enough bugs.

Standards may have 'relaxed' over the last couple of years.

CorySchmitz

Could you get beyond the second level?

I'd have to play more. I suppose it could be all locked beyond the second level. Maybe I'll keep playing without patch to see, haha.

Also, when I "unlocked" the second level, it didn't tell me at all. The only way to find out / get to the second level was to back all the way out to the main menu & select the second level O_O

Not sure if this was PS4, but as most people know sometimes on PS4 even though the bar is full and the game can start the game is not necessarily fully installed. I'm not really defending this huge day 1 patch or anything but I'd wait for further confirmation before forming the mob.

Dominator

76D951ED-E0F4-4C85-B28F-C7A513194722_zpswnpktdvt.jpg

If this is a new era I hope it dies immediately.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
While the game looked pretty rough in those few screen shots, after watching it in motion in videos it seemed like an "OK" THPS game but not at $60 and not with these kind of practices.

Can't say I'm surprised.

Which makes me wonder, why is this a retail release again? It costs Activision more money to print the discs, plus they get boned on trade ins. Did releasing at $60 mean that much?

Hanmik

The back of the cover says 15gb minimum.
Could someone who has the game and not installed the patch please check the file size on the PS4.? And then check again after the patch is installed..?

Something seems wrong here.

Durden77

I still haven't seen any actual proof that this is true. I wouldn't be surprised, but there's no real proof yet unless I missed it. Another poster said he played up until level 2 without the patch.

sonto340

This thread will be run to reread if this turns out to be false

The game is obviously a huge pile, and is deserving of most of the mess being talked here, but this is not confirmed at all.

Though I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

Drippy

It's so sad that Activision released this game in such condition. They should postpone relase date to Decemeber, it's known that it is not a game which would sell millions of copies anyway.

I loved THPS2&3 and I was hoping that despite bad graphics THPS5 will be just a fun game to play. I still believe that after a few patches it will be, but that situation is just disgusting.

Top Bottom