• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk: THPS Doc in the Works, Pursuing New Skating Games Without Activision

jiggawalla

Neo Member
I would love an Underground 3. I mean 2 was garbage but if a new THUG played like 1 and just had new levels, maybe more and bigger areas, it would be awesome. Hell you could do the same story, young kid shows skills, gets sponsors and makes it big. I don't know, could be cool.

sinkfla87

I still remember getting THPS1 on a Pizza Hut demo disc back in the day. That shit was awesome. Skate 4 would be ideal, all the THPS sequels did was kill the legacy for me:(.

Edit: and by sequels I don't mean original trilogy.

Falchion

5 was such a missed opportunity, I still haven't brought myself to get it even though I was excited before it came out.

Rellik

EA would be the first and logical choice. But I'll present two others that should seriously consider working with Hawk.

Microsoft-- this if done correctly would be an Xbox/PC exclusive that would get a lot of attention. Could be a good exclusive for Scorpio. Yes, I'm one of the people who believe Scorpio is Xbox 4.

Nintendo-- if Nintendo is serious about Switch speaking to an older demographic, THPS would be one of the most logical games you can imagine for local and online coop, multiplayer. Plus I would imagine development cost on Switch would be cheaper than Ps4/Scorpio.

The very last thing a Tony Hawk game needs these days is exclusivity. Especially on the 2 systems with the smaller player bases.

They need as many sales as they can get after the damage this series has gone through.

I would imagine he 's going the Kickstarter route.
Tony Hawk kickstarter with a team of core Neversoft people would actually be amazing

EA presents Skate with Tony Hawk's likeness would be garbage. Those fans deserve a new Skate game but don't mix the pools of two very different styled games

I'm more interested in Skate 4 but I'm all for a new and GOOD THPS game. THPS HD was a fucking abomination, and I didn't even bother checking out 5.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Y'know, there are still times where I'll hear a song come on, and think to myself, "that sounds like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater music." It's kind of amazing what a strong identity the first few games in the series had.

Chumley

Banned
Tony Hawk kickstarter with a team of core Neversoft people would actually be amazing

EA presents Skate with Tony Hawk's likeness would be garbage. Those fans deserve a new Skate game but don't mix the pools of two very different styled games

THPS5 poisoned the well. If EA really wants Skate 4 to be a big success they might be thinking of putting in some side more arcadey-mode to cater to THPS purists and put in Tony Hawk as a character. They'd get a big portion of that fanbase, the Skate fanbase, and have lots of promo material to advertise the game with if Tony is onboard for the ads. That's what makes the most sense to me, just consolidate everything into making the ultimate skateboarding game after such a long drought.

The very last thing a Tony Hawk game needs these days is exclusivity. Especially on the 2 systems with the smaller player bases.

They need as many sales as they can get after the damage this series has gone through.

I would respectfully disagree. If it were an exclusive, it may garner more attention.

THPS5 poisoned the well. If EA really wants Skate 4 to be a big success they might be thinking of putting in some side more arcadey-mode to cater to THPS purists and put in Tony Hawk as a character. They'd get a big portion of that fanbase, the Skate fanbase, and have lots of promo material to advertise the game with if Tony is onboard for the ads. That's what makes the most sense to me, just consolidate everything into making the ultimate skateboarding game after such a long drought.
If they could pull it off I'd be down but I think the style of Skate is so far removed from THPS that they'd pretty much be making a second game at that point. Even just adding THPS controls to the existing Skate game wouldn't be what people are wanting, which is ridiculously unrealistic combos and high scores

I would respectfully disagree. If it were an exclusive, it may garner more attention.
Less potential buyers means more potential buyers?

If they want attention they could start by making something good

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Can't wait...another THPS2 please

and ewwwwwwwww@skate those games have the worst controls since RE 1-4

_Rob_

For anyone jonesing for classic Tony Hawk gameplay, I would heartily recommend THUG Pro; it's a mod for THUG 2 that ports across a huge amount of content from all of the other games. From THPS1 all the way through to THP8, with maps, tricks etc! It also introduces a huge amount of extra customisation options, both to the gameplay and the way the game runs.

jessop

Neo Member
skate is decent but i would pay big £ for a functional tony hawk game with active online multuplayer
thps5 could so easily have been good if it was just made properly. something happened with proving ground, they just forgot how to make it feel good.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
"Tony Hawk's Skate".

EA brings back Skate but it's not "Skate 4". It's more of a reboot but with Tony Hawk's branding all over it. He isn't the best skater out of course but he is probably still the most well known skateboarder of all time and of course it would help catch the attention of all those who bought the Pro Skater games. There is no other skateboarder out there who could do that.

If it is a merger of Pro Skater + Skate series then it might be "Arcade mode" where it plays just like the classic Pro Skaters but in "Simulation Mode" it is more like Skate. Most objectives in the game will work in both modes but each mode will have it's own exclusive objectives.

That's what I hope happens.

thps5 could so easily have been good if it was just made properly. something happened with proving ground, they just forgot how to make it feel good.

It's not that they forgot, it's that development was in the hands of people who never knew how to make good Pro Skater games to begin with.

Msyjsm

Man, now I'm thinking about the THPS series again.

The one aspect of the transition from 2 to 3 that really bugged me was how they removed one of the greatest features of 2 (the gap checklist) while adding a SLEW of interesting, challenging, and well-hidden gaps to 3. I still remember finding most of those gaps using lists compiled online, despite there being no in-game reward for doing so.

CamHostage

Dope. I want that doc, if for nothing else than to see Joel Jewett at full cowboy.

I don't think Tony Hawk in a Skate game would go over well with people who love the THPS style of gameplay, but at the same time, EA making Tony Hawk's Skate would be the most baller shit they could do.

Baller. Do it.

E-flux

If EA would snag Tony Hawk for themselves maybe we could get a good vert system in Skate, the way it was done was kinda lackluster, it wasn't horrible but seriously, who spent any time in vert unless they had to?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Microsoft-- this if done correctly would be an Xbox/PC exclusive that would get a lot of attention. Could be a good exclusive for Scorpio. Yes, I'm one of the people who believe Scorpio is Xbox 4.

It would also get a lot of attention as a multiplatform game and, more to the point, actually be available to more people.

Seriously?
I'm gonna have to say it?
Let Platinum make THPS game.

After careful consideration, and close examination
source.gif

The one aspect of the transition from 2 to 3 that really bugged me was how they removed one of the greatest features of 2 (the gap checklist) while adding a SLEW of interesting, challenging, and well-hidden gaps to 3. I still remember finding most of those gaps using lists compiled online, despite there being no in-game reward for doing so.

I had the strategy guide for THPS3, which included all of the gaps except for one in each level, telling you to find it yourself as a challenge. It was the fucking dumbest thing I've ever seen a strategy guide do.

Nudull

Banned
Wow, wasn't aware of this. Definitely will check it out.

Also, will happily co-sign an Activision-less future of skateboarding games.

I worked as lead programmer on a skateboarding game with some of the ex-Neversoft guys and surprisingly enough, as a die-hard THPS fan, I felt they really lacked the understanding of what made THPS so awesome in the first place.

It was a mess of a project and everyone ran around like chickens with their heads cut off. That was just a mobile game, so yeah --I lack faith. lol

Are you talking about that one Epic Skater game?

Top Bottom