• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawks 1+2 Remastered releases 09/04/20

cormack12

Gold Member
Source:
tony-hawk-ps4-original.original.jpg

In case you weren't aware, there's more than likely going to be a new Tony Hawk's Pro Skater game this year. Various insiders have hinted at its existence over the past couple of months, but the real evidence is being sourced from bands and skateboarders who are making their inclusion in the title public. of how our current mirth works with lookups

Last month, The Dead Set posted to Facebook that five of its songs would be included in the game before promptly pulling the news. And now professional skateboarder Jason Dill has gone on record in a new interview stating that his song is also part of the soundtrack as well as his own board.

There is most definitely a new Tony Hawk's Pro Skater launching later this year. However, will it be a complete series reboot or a Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 6? And when will it be revealed? Microsoft's upcoming third-party Inside Xbox show on Thursday is a good shout, but digital conferences are coming from a variety of sources as part of Geoff Keighley's Summer Game Fest.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times and I will bust your office and kick those filthy scum of this planet. I will never forget the bastard remake and cashgrab sequel.

ZehDon

I doubt anyone will be excited about this after the last few games. They botched a remake and a sequel, horribly.

Prove me wrong Activision.
Yeah, they such had an easy win right there - remaster THPS, release it, cash in on the nostalgia, and laugh all the way to the bank. I'd have gladly paid full price to eat a bowl full of those member-berries. And they couldn't even manage that! Frankly, I'd rather replay THUG2 on my OG Xbox than pay attention to whatever bug-riddled decomposing corpse they're going to drag out on stage and beat with a cast-iron stick.

SamFo

Yeah, they such had an easy win right there - remaster THPS, release it, cash in on the nostalgia, and laugh all the way to the bank. I'd have gladly paid full price to eat a bowl full of those member-berries. And they couldn't even manage that! Frankly, I'd rather replay THUG2 on my OG Xbox than pay attention to whatever bug-riddled decomposing corpse they're going to drag out on stage and beat with a cast-iron stick.
I don't trust their remaster efforts.

Tony Hawk HD was a mess. The feel was totally off.

Banned
a mix of all the best aspects of the first 4 games + modern improvements + classic maps and new maps = MUST BUY

but the controls need to be tight, the physics need to be polished to the max and the multiplayer needs to be solid!
I'm talking multiple modes, playable online and offline splitscreen.
a ranked mode for "H.O.R.S.E" and free for all.

the game needs to feel like a complete package and not another cash grab like THPS HD and THPS5

Sota4077

I’d rather just have a completely remastered THPS 1-3 kinda like how Crash Banidcoot was done.

I don’t want a new TH game unless it’s kinda like 1-3

I really miss Tony Hawk Underground 1, 2 and American Wasteland. After those everything became real real bad.

It's interesting though because as an adult I look back fondly on those game, but I was also a big fan of Bam Margera and the whole Jackass/ Viva La Bam crews. So at the time I thought those games were so friggin' awesome with all the stupid stuff you did in them. Now I look at those guys and kinda cringe. The one guy burned up in a firey car wreck when he was drinking and driving. Bam Margera, last I seen, is just a hot ass mess. Steve-O is sober which is awesome. All of those big name skaters from the time in those game though are kinda lost to time. Guys like Chad Muska you never hear about anymore. Stacey Peralta is still a legend in skateboarding, but ya neeeever hear shit about him anymore. Pretty sure he hasnt' done anything as far as movies or major projects since like 2010.

I truly hope so. They made a documentary recently about the franchise with Tony Hawk, indiegogo funded. It was premiered at some events but not yet officially released, they have no release date. Maybe they are trying to combine the two and use the documentary as a promo with the new game coming out soon after:

Last edited:
Everyone thinks Tony Hawk is incredible and didn't back away from the big moments

InexperiencedIllinformedCoyote-max-1mb.gif

Huge respect to Hawk.
I was watching the full video of this about 2 weeks ago. It still gives me the chills - in two ways. Good chills from this moment in general, and douche chills from the announcer dude.

I've wanted a proper THPS game of some sort for what...15 years? The last THPS game I really liked was American Sk8land for the DS. That game had the perfect blend of the new with the old while still nailing the general feel at 60fps. That game is seriously underrated.

Peak THPS (imo) was THPS 2-4. While the games after that were still good, they started to water things down until Project 8 came back and brought things back to skating.

For me, if they made a proper HD remix that included all the courses from THPS 1-4 with updated graphics and proper physics I'd be all about it. I'd pay 60$ for that shit day one.

Blond

Banned
I would love a PC Port of Project 8 that is all, it doesn't deserve to be stuck barely playable on consoles lol.

Secondly I'm not even sure if I can be excited for Tony Hawk, a lot of series we grew up with have Terminator syndrome in that they've been mediocre far longer than they've been good and I'm still sour over Tony Hawk HD.

Tony Hawk
Silent Hill
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil

Just to name a few, had a great initial runs from the 90s to about 2k4 then it all started going downhill from there. It only took fifteen years for Resident Evil to be good again, maybe that's what Tony Hawk needs

Blond

Banned
If it's another remake of the first games, they should make sure to get the license for the whole soundtrack, without it's just not THPS and I can't be arsed to buy it

Kinda crazy imagining they chose to go out their way to license all that just for Tony Hawk HD only to lose it again for yet another remaster.

Honestly I used to love the Tony Hawk series. Just let it die. Even a remaster won't save it. Its relic from the late 90s early 2000s. It just has that vibe I don't think can be recreated.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I would get behind a tony hawk pro skater 4X made in the same kind of way that 2x on the original Xbox was made. Throw in all levels from 3 and 4 and maybe add some elements to 3’s levels that utilize spine transfers a bit more and you have an amazing game. Don’t fuck the physics up like the first ones remake and I’ll be there day 1

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I would love a PC Port of Project 8 that is all, it doesn't deserve to be stuck barely playable on consoles lol.
nice to see P8 getting some love. the framerate wasn’t too good but behind that is a good game

Honestly I used to love the Tony Hawk series. Just let it die. Even a remaster won't save it. Its relic from the late 90s early 2000s. It just has that vibe I don't think can be recreated.

why? the series‘ 6th gen outings haven‘t aged a bit in the gameplay department. even the first two games are still fun to play despite a little jankyness.

funfact: did you know that activision bought z-axis (dave mirra games, skate and destroy, aggressive inline) and shaba games
(PS1 versions of pro skater 3/4, Grind Session). toys for bob also made tony hawk’s downhill jam and a disney game based on pro skater 4. they pretty much had all the right people to make tony hawk games without neversoft developing them every year. they could have made it in a similar fashion like COD with changing developers every year... but nope

nice to see P8 getting some love. the framerate wasn’t too good but behind that is a good game

why? the series‘ 6th gen outings haven‘t aged a bit in the gameplay department. even the first two games are still fun to play despite a little jankyness.

funfact: did you know that activision bought z-axis (dave mirra games, skate and destroy, aggressive inline) and shaba games
(PS1 versions of pro skater 3/4, Grind Session). toys for bob also made tony hawk’s downhill jam and a disney game based on pro skater 4. they pretty much had all the right people to make tony hawk games without neversoft developing them every year. they could have made it in a similar fashion like COD with changing developers every year... but nope
Because the gameplay is extremely dated at this point and very uninspiring. Games still need to change up and evolve to keep the masses interested. The late 90s was huge on the whole X games vibe and that was really taking off back then. There's been way better skateboard games since then and I cant see Tony hawk being a huge household name anymore.

I’d rather just have a completely remastered THPS 1-3 kinda like how Crash Banidcoot was done.

I don’t want a new TH game unless it’s kinda like 1-3

I'm on board with this. Mash the first 3 games into one, maybe add a few new parks/areas, and gussy up the visuals.
An online ranking mode for score attacks and such would be awesome. Add some kind of daily challenge/run with leaderboards. Daily runs keep me coming back to games forever, I still do my Spelunky, Issac, and Spire runs religiously.
And use punk rock from the era for the love of god.

Soodanim

Everyone is throwing out these wish lists, but they’re not even extravagant or over the top. They could have done it before, but they didn’t bother. That’s the worst part. Do it properly, and you get so many sales off nostalgia alone. Make it a solid fun game and the rest of the sales come. They’re fun games and with added online elements it would go to the next level. Online horse, online versions of the story mode competitions. It writes itself.

Gameplay
Music
Levels
Create a Skater
Create a Skatepark
Create a deck

That’s it.

With solid online course sharing modes you open up a community that keeps the game alive, with online sharing of content you drive more sales.

It’s not like they can’t do it.
It’s not like the music artists won’t want more royalties for absolutely no work.
It’s not like they couldn’t include some recent skaters as well and get more promotion that way.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Because the gameplay is extremely dated
It is certainly not. The gameplay is smooth and dynamic with a huge skillcap. I don't think you know how the games work and how much though is put into the leveldesign and how it flows so well with the player's movement. It's basically like DMC or Bayonetta, but with a skateboard as a tool and the levels as the enemies. So how is it dated? A game with such great mechanics can't be dated on gameplay perspective. The reason why the Tony Hawk game series is at a low these days is because of Activision's business practices and the poor quality of the games ever since Robomodo took over. We still want Tony Hawk games, we just don't want poorly made cashgrabs and halfbaked gimmicks.

There's been way better skateboard games
Like what? I am all ears. Don't tell be about Skate. It is a great game but it works completely different.

Enjay

Banned
They can fail at bringing back this bullshit 100x but no one thinks of bringing back Road Rash or the espn xtreme games from ps1.

Larxia

I'll never understand people who only like the earliest titles, is it just nostalgia? Because underground improved the mechanics on pretty much everything and I really can't see what's better in THPS 1 2 3, everything is just better in underground - underground 2, gameplay wise.

I also can't say this enough, but I really recommend Thug Pro for anyone interested in playing the series again, it has almost every maps from every episodes in the series, with an active online multiplayer etc.

I've myself been involved in doing a lot of modding for it with enhanced / bigger maps of proving ground, my biggest released project being a version of baltimore expanded as a completely open map with rooftops skateable and other things.

Thug Pro has been my best Tony Hawk experience as far as I'm concerned, and I played all the games.

I'm not too excited for this new rumours because we mostly always are disappointed so I prefer to just not hope for anything.

If you have a good CPU you can run it in really good conditions now, I'll try that when I upgrade:

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
I'll never understand people who only like the earliest titles, is it just nostalgia? Because underground improved the mechanics on pretty much everything and I really can't see what's better in THPS 1 2 3, everything is just better in underground - underground 2, gameplay wise.

I also can't say this enough, but I really recommend Thug Pro for anyone interested in playing the series again, it has almost every maps from every episodes in the series, with an active online multiplayer etc.

I've myself been involved in doing a lot of modding for it with enhanced / bigger maps of proving ground, my biggest released project being a version of baltimore expanded as a completely open map with rooftops skateable and other things.

Thug Pro has been my best Tony Hawk experience as far as I'm concerned, and I played all the games.

I'm not too excited for this new rumours because we mostly always are disappointed so I prefer to just not hope for anything.

If you have a good CPU you can run it in really good conditions now, I'll try that when I upgrade:

Thanks for the video, it's the closest I'll get lol.

Underground and the following games moved away from the more arena/skate park feeling to street skating and I guess for a lot of people that change was indicative to the decline of the series not to mention formula was really growing evidently stale. Because you gotta admit after Underground 2 the series quality started nose diving hard (even if I liked P8 and AW) and never recovered.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it is because the Underground games went away from just being about skating. With first one it wasn’t too much, you had some non skating missions but it was only on occasion. I feel like with UG2 they went a little overboard with it. Mechanically it is the best in the series though, definitely.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
nose diving hard (even if I liked P8 and AW) and never recovered.
AW had a boring SP. It was built like a 5hour long tutorial, making the game very easy and uninspired.
P8 and PG are great games though. Not perfect they have their flaws for sure, but the engine was good and if Activision weren’t so reluctant in releasing those games on a yearly basis, they could have made one of if not the best Tony Hawk game out of this. P8 was a good blueprint for the series going forward. We know what happened instead.

Larxia

Maybe it is because the Underground games went away from just being about skating. With first one it wasn’t too much, you had some non skating missions but it was only on occasion. I feel like with UG2 they went a little overboard with it. Mechanically it is the best in the series though, definitely.
Well I guess I can understand people not being into the whole Jackass thing if it wasn't their thing, but I was mostly talking about the gameplay itself, for everything related to freeskate, scoring, multiplayer etc, not necesarilly the campaign. Although I think Underground 1 had the best single player, felt a bit like a skateboarding rpg.

D.Final

Banned
Source:
tony-hawk-ps4-original.original.jpg

In case you weren't aware, there's more than likely going to be a new Tony Hawk's Pro Skater game this year. Various insiders have hinted at its existence over the past couple of months, but the real evidence is being sourced from bands and skateboarders who are making their inclusion in the title public. of how our current mirth works with lookups

Last month, The Dead Set posted to Facebook that five of its songs would be included in the game before promptly pulling the news. And now professional skateboarder Jason Dill has gone on record in a new interview stating that his song is also part of the soundtrack as well as his own board.

There is most definitely a new Tony Hawk's Pro Skater launching later this year. However, will it be a complete series reboot or a Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 6? And when will it be revealed? Microsoft's upcoming third-party Inside Xbox show on Thursday is a good shout, but digital conferences are coming from a variety of sources as part of Geoff Keighley's Summer Game Fest.

At the Sony event maybe

Top Bottom