• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawks 1+2 Remastered releases 09/04/20

Arkam

Because the gameplay is extremely dated at this point and very uninspiring. Games still need to change up and evolve to keep the masses interested. The late 90s was huge on the whole X games vibe and that was really taking off back then. There's been way better skateboard games since then and I cant see Tony hawk being a huge household name anymore.

What were those games? Only later skating game of substance that I remember Skate.... and I didnt care for it. In fact I actually hated the series due to the controls. They were like far to many games that gen with shoehorned analog controls that feel anything but consistent and accurate. Was there a game I missed?

I think this THPS remake looks great and very excited. I will however reserve judgement til i get hands on time. Cuz the HD remaster on 360 felt off and greatly reduced my enjoyment.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
They were like far to many games that gen with shoehorned analog controls that feel anything but consistent and accurate. Was there a game I missed?
I like Skate and I usually play any extreme sports games (SSX, Skate, Tony Hawk etc.) coming out and I can't think of one either. Perhaps olliolli?

Thats a vastly different style though..

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like pre-ordering on any platform gets you the warehouse demo?

Article says SOME of the original music, I figured there might be licensing conflicts

Pre-ordering THPS1+2 will net you a demo of the Warehouse, the very first stage from the very first Tony Hawk game that serves as many players' earliest memory of the classic series. There's no word yet on when the demo will be available

The game is coming to PC, PS4, and Xbox One on September 4. It will include remastered versions of the first two Tony Hawk games, along with the skater and park creation modes, and some of the original licensed music. (Yes, including Goldfinger's "Superman.") Developer Vicarious Visions is also including a few new additions, including additional tricks, goals, and secrets. The entire package will be included in the game, but the studio is open to adding more content if there's demand for it.

The standard edition costs $40, but a $50 deluxe edition also nets you some retro skins, retro Create-a-Skater content, and "The Ripper" skater.

Last edited:

Phase

Damn these guys trying to get money from my nostalgia. Not gonna work this time.

I bought the game called Session a while ago, and it's pretty great. I'll be sticking with that.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Awesome news, I'll be buying this on day1 if the reviews are positive (gotta be careful after the THPS5 fuckup even though an experienced studio is backing the new project).

I hope we won't lose any of the old songs, especially from the superior THPS2 soundtrack.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
You must be thick if you're willing to give Activision money after the almost decade-long string of awful Tony Hawk titles they published since 2008. It appeared like they were actively trying to damage the brand for a while there.

I'd much rather give my cash to the Skatebird guys.

Last edited:
Sounds like pre-ordering on any platform gets you the warehouse demo?

Article says SOME of the original music, I figured there might be licensing conflicts

Must have songs:

Cyco Vision
New Girl
and of course
Superman

The truncated N64 versions for teh nostalgia

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Here's some gameplay btw starring Tony Hawk, Jack Black and son

already looks much less floaty than HD, the jumps seem right. Thats good! I'm still not sold though. I have to play this myself. I am a little concerned about the animations.

5ebad27842278d04824f6923

some screens

5ebace57144192014e4358e4

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Back in the day we played games if they had good gameplay, the genre didn't really matter. We were TrueGamingWhores™, I fucking hate football and most sports but I played Sensible Soccer & Virtua Tennis for years.

Try stepping outside your comfort zone you bunch of curmudgeons lol.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I am excited. Ordered the CE and am so glad that it seems to have most of its original OST in tact. Out of everything, I feel like that is the biggest win. The OST is as memorable as anything else in the franchise and keeping it as preserved as possible makes me happy as hell.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
What about a seasonpass?

Or cool skins so you can stand out?
Maybe an ingame store with real branded sk8 gear! You can buy with real money 🙂🙂🙂

I am excited. Ordered the CE and am so glad that it seems to have most of its original OST in tact. Out of everything, I feel like that is the biggest win. The OST is as memorable as anything else in the franchise and keeping it as preserved as possible makes me happy as hell.

Not that it's exactly the same, but I'm betting anything missing can be "found" again with Spotify, along with a lot of other songs.

mickaus

No switch version? That doesn’t really make sense. I could get it on Xbox but still, that would be fun to play on the go.

Hostile_18

Banned
Who's developing this?

These games are tied so much to the music. I cant see many of the same songs been included. If they are largely intact I think I'd be in day one.

It's a great idea bundling two games together as if its successful Tony Hawks 3 & 4 are no doubt on the cards (and equally as good).

iHaunter

Why make new games when you can remake old ones. We'll have to see if it's an actual remake a re-skin. Wonder how many macro-transactions are going to be in there.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This is soo aimed at my generation.
Is there a steelbook version?

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't like the photorealistic graphics. I find them boring and lacking in clarity compared to the low poly, colorful look of the orignal.

What kind of style could they have gone for with a remaster that would have been better though? Cel shaded? I am not sure they could have made it more colorful without overdoing the saturation

Vicarious Visions. More recently known for developing the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy.
Holy shit. My interest in this just went up ALOT.

Interestingly enough, it's not their first time working on the series, either. They did the PS1 port of THPS4, and I think they also did a gameboy game in the series. Considering they were working with last-gen hardware on a series that had the most recent two games (THPS 3 and 4) designed and built to run on PS2 and Xbox, that seems pretty good. It's cool to think of how far the company has come since then.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Epic store exclusive on PC sigh
I still hope it turns out to be good... I’ll get to play it some day

Top Bottom