• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawks 1+2 Remastered releases 09/04/20

SuperGooey

What kind of style could they have gone for with a remaster that would have been better though? Cel shaded? I am not sure they could have made it more colorful without overdoing the saturation
Honestly, I don't know, but I miss the clarity of the original game. I think higher contrasting colors, and sticking to the originals games' color scheme would have been better. Personally, I'd rather have had rereleases of the original games over a remaster/remake since the originals aren't easy to access unless you have a PS1 or N64. I consider the early 3D graphics aesthetic to fit really well with the arcade-y nature of THPS. I would have liked an option to switch over to the original graphics. In my opinion, this remakes look different, not necessarily better. I feel the same about the Crash and Spyro remasters.

Last edited:

goldenpp72

5ebad27842278d04824f6923

some screens

5ebace57144192014e4358e4

Still not sure, looks like a cheap remaster with no effort 🤭

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i just found out about this. so hype! will get for PS4. damn i loved those games, it will be great playing those levels again. really hoping the soundtrack is the same!

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
This looks awesome. Still wish they would put Thps 3 and 4 levels in (which may be thier not talked about “post launch” DLC) but the absolute mosT crucial thing is that they added the revert from 3 in this. I believe spine transfer and manual tricks also from watching the trailer

Get the physics right and make sure The ernies - Here and Now (the actual best song from #1) is in this and I will be there day 1

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
gonna go on a limb and expect THPS 3/4 levels to be added as DLC

prob gonna hold out for a complete edition for the time being.
I'd rather they just give us another $40 remake package with the full games down the road.

I have a lot of nostalgia for THPS2 (and even replayed it somewhat recently), but I didn't have the first one and don't know how much I care. But a package with 3 and 4 is an insta-buy.

I'd rather they just give us another $40 remake package with the full games down the road.

I have a lot of nostalgia for THPS2 (and even replayed it somewhat recently), but I didn't have the first one and don't know how much I care. But a package with 3 and 4 is an insta-buy.

well apparently they incorporated features from 3/4 into this remake. like the revert. so if they hand picked the best elements from those games to add into the tricks/QoL/etc base gameplay, something tells me theyre just looking to build up this edition.

marquimvfs

Tony Hawks 1+2 Remastered releases 09/04/20

B but we're already in 12/05/2020...

I kid i kid. Don't be angry at me, states fellows.

I seriously hope it's a better effort than the atrocities that we got after project 8. If it's really good, will sell like hot cake.

Last edited:
updated graphics - exact same controls and level designs... I'd want to try that. Not sure if I would want to pay full price for something like that though... I am pretty sure I'd likely wait until bargain bin.

Arkam

This game looks like the first batch of bullshot Dreamcast screens. (least how i remember them) Player models had individual fingers even. This looks to finally deliver. I really hope there is some music DRM tie in so I can import/purchase music for my runs.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Sounds like revert is in which is disappointing. Leave all the crazy combo extending tricks for when they do THPS 3-4 HD. I wonder if they'll re-do level challenges because of these additions.

Last edited:

Soltype

Sounds like revert is in which is disappointing. Leave all the crazy combo extending tricks for when the do THPS 3-4 HD. I wonder if they'll re-do level challenges because of these additions.
They'd have to up the scores challenges, but everything else should be good.Worst case scenario PC players will have something better to mod with.

bender

What time is it?
They'd have to up the scores challenges, but everything else should be good.Worst case scenario PC players will have something better to mod with.

Best case scenario is the offer a "pure" experience option that leaves the games as they were as well as the level challenges and then an enhanced that adds in tricks that weren't in the originals.. It will never happen though as I seem to be in the minority opinion that combo continuing tricks took away from what made the games enjoyable. It went from over-the-top approximation of skateboarding to batshit crazy. Oh well. I'll still get this as THPS2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
In one of the interviews they said that the original code for movement / tricks was given by the Neversoft so it's a perfect 1:1 recreation. After hearing this it's a day one for me.
What we enjoyed two decades ago with the hardware (controllers) back then might feel very different and worse today. Progress is good. Just putting a new coat of paint on 20 year old code won't cut it.

D3SCHA1N

After the first skate game came out I basically never touched a tony hawk game again. Skater XL will have been out for 2 months when this releases, I'll pass...

The Shepard

Looks better than expected. Being to long since a good skateboarding game has been out and they kept that music!

All I need now is a metal gear solid and ff8 remake and all my fave 90's playstation games have been remade.

Hostile_18

Banned
Don't read the comments in the reveal trailer guys if your avoiding Last of Us 2 spoilers. Someone made a joke but it's pretty easy to read between the lines what it means for that game if it's true 😭

Paiky

Neo Member
I am very sure that Vicarious Visions does a good job. The crash bandicoot remaster were very good. That's why I expect good THPR remasters

Last edited:

Soltype

Best case scenario is the offer a "pure" experience option that leaves the games as they were as well as the level challenges and then an enhanced that adds in tricks that weren't in the originals.. It will never happen though as I seem to be in the minority opinion that combo continuing tricks took away from what made the games enjoyable. It went from over-the-top approximation of skateboarding to batshit crazy. Oh well. I'll still get this as THPS2 is one of my favorite games of all time.
I don't mind combo potential, but I think the caveman was too much.After 4 , they were obviously out of ideas mechanics wise.

TMLT

With this and skaterXL getting a console release, we are finally getting some skateboarding action. About damn time. Lets just hope they get the gameplay right.

I legit consider THPS 2 and 3 to be like top 30-50 of all time, any genre. Thats how good those games were.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
It will never happen though as I seem to be in the minority opinion that combo continuing tricks took away from what made the games enjoyable.

the revert to me was the single most important thing added to THPS franchise. It turned the game from finding the best developer made skate line, into finding and creating your own. Levels were looked at completely different after that to me and allowed for that speed runner type mentality of “where can I get an extra trick, or extension to make my score that much better”.

The creativity just opened completely up. That is what THPS is all about.

bender

What time is it?
I don't mind combo potential, but I think the caveman was too much.After 4 , they were obviously out of ideas mechanics wise.

Everyone has their breaking point with the series it seems. Mine was just more advanced than everyone elses. :p

the revert to me was the single most important thing added to THPS franchise. It turned the game from finding the best developer made skate line, into finding and creating your own. Levels were looked at completely different after that to me and allowed for that speed runner type mentality of “where can I get an extra trick, or extension to make my score that much better”.

I can appreciated the perspective because big numbers are fun but it felt like score attack morphed into finding an easily exploitable loop that let you continue a combo on for the length of the timer rather than finding a series of different lines and performing tricks that best suited those lines.

source.gif

Last edited:

Heat.wav

Neo Member
I'm game, I just dont expect much to come after what happened last time I played a Tony Hawk game. I love this series, but I'm not stupid. Here's to hoping they dont screw up a sure thing.

I never grew tired of the Tony Hawk series, until the games stopped working at release.

Blond

Banned
What we enjoyed two decades ago with the hardware (controllers) back then might feel very different and worse today. Progress is good. Just putting a new coat of paint on 20 year old code won't cut it.

Obviously they might tweak it a bit, Crash Bandicoot and Medieval played better than I thought personally for being based on old code.

Blond

Banned
Everyone has their breaking point with the series it seems. Mine was just more advanced than everyone elses. :p

I can appreciated the perspective because big numbers are fun but it felt like score attack morphed into finding an easily exploitable loop that let you continue a combo on for the length of the timer rather than finding a series of different lines and performing tricks that best suited those lines.

Can confirm this. I loved THPS but I gotta admit in hindsight they knew how much revert broke the games; because score attacks went away after 4, and it turned into challenges where the game was just platforming with a skateboard.

Last edited:

Can confirm this. I loved THPS but I gotta admit I'm hindsight they knew how much revert broke the games because score attacks went away after 4 and it turned into "challenges" where the game pretty much turned into platforming with a skateboard.

For me, it's breaks down like this:

THPS1 - Score system is part skill, and part puzzle.
THPS2 - Score system is part skill, and part puzzle.
THPS3 - Score system is pretty much all skill now.

Ideally, we'd have "classic" goals and classic systems, with an option to play with the revert and a whole new set of modern goals. THPS3 didn't ruin the game, but it changed the design considerably. Before that, getting a high score was a puzzle of sorts. Ironically, it also could be argued that it required more skill than when it became purely about skill, because part of the challenge was was figuring out ways to hit a big ramp, but still land on a rail, or on flat ground with enough speed that you could continue your combo. And if you missed your combo attempt, you missed your run.

Of course, it sounds like Tony is insisting that the revert be added to the entire game, which kind of ruins the idea of getting a pure THPS and THPS2 experience. It wouldn't be the first time he insisted on adding something that I don't agree with, but adding the revert in some capacity really is arguably the right call here. And there is definitely a strong appeal to being able to play these classic maps in ways that were never possible before. Just using the manual on THPS1 maps is going to make that a completely different game.

I still wish it would be optional to protect the game design for purists, but it's hardly going to keep me from buying the game on day one.

Last edited:
Definitely optimistic.

When I heard there was a Tony Hawk Pro Skater coming, I immediately feared for the worst. Wish it was 1-3, but 1 & 2 is great as well.

Will be curious to see what Tony Hawk 6 turns out to be later in the year, but...

Never forget. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

original.jpg

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I got burned hard the last time they did this on PS3. The controls didn't feel right at all. It was cool that I sat at rank 1 on the leaderboards for a while on that game. Hopefully they've learned from the last time this was attempted.

Activision did a great job with the Crash, Spyro, and CTR remakes.

Antwix

Jesus... they should've kept Elissa Steamer rendered in PS1 graphics. Anyway, hope they have all the skaters from the previous games.

Justin9mm

I pre-ordered the collector's edition for in store pick up from EB Games here in Australia. I'm undecided whether I will end up cancelling or get a refund on the day and buy just the standard game as it is basically $100 AUD extra for the skateboard which I love the idea of but I don't know if it is the same quality as a real Birdhouse Skateboard which is Tony Hawk's brand? Does anyone know anymore about this?

I come from the original THPS 1&2 era and loved them, I'm not an actual skateboarder but I can see the collector's edition selling out in hot demand at least closer to the date so wanted to secure one as I might hang it on my wall. I've always loved skateboards and their designs from an art piece perspective. They always look so cool.

Edit: The original music playlist is by far one of my fav elements of the game. Worth it alone for the nostalgia.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I pre-ordered the collector's edition for in store pick up from EB Games here in Australia. I'm undecided whether I will end up cancelling or get a refund on the day and buy just the standard game as it is basically $100 AUD extra for the skateboard which I love the idea of but I don't know if it is the same quality as a real Birdhouse Skateboard which is Tony Hawk's brand? Does anyone know anymore about this?

I come from the original THPS 1&2 era and loved them, I'm not an actual skateboarder but I can see the collector's edition selling out in hot demand at least closer to the date so wanted to secure one as I might hang it on my wall. I've always loved skateboards and their designs from an art piece perspective. They always look so cool.

Edit: The original music playlist is by far one of my fav elements of the game. Worth it alone for the nostalgia.

The board is an official birdhouse skateboard using the classic design. Unless that has changed, it should be the same quality as one found outside of a CE.

D.Final

Banned
Definitely optimistic.

When I heard there was a Tony Hawk Pro Skater coming, I immediately feared for the worst. Wish it was 1-3, but 1 & 2 is great as well.

Will be curious to see what Tony Hawk 6 turns out to be later in the year, but...

Never forget. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

original.jpg

Tony Hawk 6.....
Oh boy!

Top Bottom