• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawks 1+2 Remastered releases 09/04/20

pre order and get access to warehouse demo when available
Looks like I'll be getting the xbone version once the warehouse demo releases.
So no word on the demo release?
Sony needs to get this set up in the PSN store so I can pre-order. Its been up on MS store for a couple days now. Help me give you money Sony!! (I just want to play the demo ASAP.... whenever it drops)
Pre-ordered yesterday. Can't wait to play again. Jamie Thomas 4 Life!
i'm going to make the official thread
anyone know why we can't preorder on psn yet

I bumped this thread earlier with the newest trailer, but for those who didn't notice it, the warehouse demo is set for August 14th. That's great news for anyone on the fence about this remake, as I'm sure you tube will be filled with impressions from people who are very familiar with how the game should play.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Any confirmation that we'll get classic gameplay sans revert? I 100% understand that Tony came up with the idea because in reality, that's how he wishes he could skate because he pioneered that style of circus skating. But man, I really wish we could play them as they were and unlock manual and revert for a more "sick" mode. Plus that would give the game longevity as well.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
play as Old Man Tony

Did they use this part of the meme as a face template?
05NCdho.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member
I bumped this thread earlier with the newest trailer, but for those who didn't notice it, the warehouse demo is set for August 14th. That's great news for anyone on the fence about this remake, as I'm sure you tube will be filled with impressions from people who are very familiar with how the game should play.

Sweet, my bro pre-ordered the deluxe version as he wants the warehouse demo on 4th August so I'm all set now!!!

This is awesome news. Two of my favorite games of all time getting a facelift. If handled right, this could be the hypest thing for me in gaming in a long time.

I feel the same way. Compare the draw distance and overall image quality in the B-roll footage thumbnail to the same area in the original game.

chigstoke

When you go ahead and look at PS1 footage of THPS 1 through 4, it's startling how bad the draw distance is (understandable given the system).

THPS 3 on PS2 was a revolution.

Poplin

Any confirmation that we'll get classic gameplay sans revert? I 100% understand that Tony came up with the idea because in reality, that's how he wishes he could skate because he pioneered that style of circus skating. But man, I really wish we could play them as they were and unlock manual and revert for a more "sick" mode. Plus that would give the game longevity as well.

couldnt you just not use revert and manual?

couldnt you just not use revert and manual?

Due to muscle memory from years of playing these games, I would find it VERY hard to not land on flat ground in a manual. Aside from that, we know that the manual, revert, wall-plant, and flatland tricks are in the game. I believe the developers recently confirmed spine transfers and acid drops will also be in the game. Other than the manual, none of these moves were ever in either of these games. Due to that level of ability, it's very likely that the point goals for each level will be much higher. Even if you could choose to not manual, I wouldn't be surprised if you can't even finish the game that way.

As to how this is all going to work, they haven't really talked about that. Some want new goals, some want classic goals, some want to unlock moves that weren't in the previous games, etc. There's going to be some things that will disappoint people about the remake, so it makes sense for the developers to only be talking about the things that everyone will be happy about.

Last edited:

It seems someone made a tool-assisted run of THPS3 gameplay that almost exactly mirrors various clips from the Tony Hawk 1 and 2 remake. While the video framerate has some issues to get them to match up properly, it's a true side by side comparison of the animation. I think the bail animations are especially interesting. They're a bit more detailed, and it looks like physics plays a role there, but the timing also seems perfectly matched to the original. It's getting me hyped for the remake the same way this video did for Bloodstained:

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Bummer this doesn't have 3 or 4, really all I want is the flatland mechanics that shit was crack to me, it was the missing piece that fleshed out the combo system fully imo. THUG was nice but ruined the flow with being able to get off your board and keep a combo.

Bummer this doesn't have 3 or 4, really all I want is the flatland mechanics that shit was crack to me, it was the missing piece that fleshed out the combo system fully imo. THUG was nice but ruined the flow with being able to get off your board and keep a combo.

Well I have good news for you then.

Aside from that, we know that the manual, revert, wall-plant, and flatland tricks are in the game. I believe the developers recently confirmed spine transfers and acid drops will also be in the game.

You can see flatland tricks being done in the remake in this video that I posted earlier:

Last edited:

Tschumi

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 is probably the best demo I ever played. Just the one level, a halfpipe at sunset or something... But what fun it was~ Played a bunch of other demos around that time, I remember Diablo, Age of Empires, Tribes... UT... But yeah, THPS2 was the balls. Really captured my attention. And it was also probably part of the reason why I was really good at SSX Tricky right out of the box ^_^

GenericUser

I know that there is a skatepark editor included. I wonder how powerful that tool will be and if we are going to be able to share the parks online?
I also just checked the price on PSN, 45 bucks seems a bit hefty if you ask me.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I know that there is a skatepark editor included. I wonder how powerful that tool will be and if we are going to be able to share the parks online?

I'm seeing 39.99 for base edition and 49.99 for deluxe. Totally reasonable for a remake of 2 games. Works out to $20 per. I'm okay with it myself anyway.

I think this could easily be 60, because it's a remake and not a remaster. $40 seems like a great deal to me.

As for the create a park mode, the developers said during the reveal interview that the game will include online play, including the ability to play and share levels made with the park editor. They also announced that it's an improved version of the editor that will allow players to do things that weren't possible in the original.

Aside from that, for those who don't want to watch 40 minutes of the recent interviews, here's some highlights from what little was talked about. The main takeaway for me is that the lead designer of this game was a tester for the original Tony Hawk. It was his first job in the industry. The lead art designer also worked on the series back in the Neversoft days.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I was playing THPS2 on my Vita a few nights ago. Even the vanilla game still holds up. This game was so incredibly amazing and the soundtrack just put it over the edge.
Yeah I played it in an emulator just last year and the whole game still feels great. I have no real nostalgia for the first game, but I guess a nice coat of paint and all the newer mechanics might make it more interesting to me.

OutRun88

Man this game looks amazing. It's tickling me with nostalgia.

As a child, I completely overlooked the chain-combo complexity these levels provide that, as a much wiser old man, I'm noticing now.

I guess with new skaters comes new music. I hope at least some of it's good, and that all of it is optional. Shame that they don't have the original bands for the concert, though.

The virtual concert has come and gone. Along with it comes the information that in addition to nearly every song from the original soundtracks, the remaster will include over 30 new songs! The full list can be found at the end of this video:

And here's the previously mentioned virtual concert, featuring four of the new artists:

Last edited:
This looks SO good! Has a remake by a different developer ever paid so much respect in-game to not only the previous games in the series, but also the original developer? I guess it helps that there are members of the team that once worked at Neversoft, but this is above and beyond.

Top Bottom