• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Too Human cover story in EGM - "I will never give gaf an exclusive" says Dyack'

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The new EGM has a nice big article on Too Human as a cover story. it's a nice, long, 9 page article, with a ton of info. Game looks great, but as per the TOS, I can't post any scans. I just advise anyone who hasn't picked it up yet please do.

Anyone who listened to this week's 1up radio, this is what the guys were talking about when they said they went to SK's offices and chatted with Dennis Dyack.

The control scheme looks pretty cool:

Left stick - moves the main character (named Baldur)
left Trigger - fires left hand weapon
Right Trigger - fires right hand weapon
A - Jump. There's no platforming, and Dyack outlines that the Jump is used for air combat.
Right stick - melee attacks.

The game seems to be a cool melding of technology and Norse mythology. Valkyries, Loki, the whole shebang. Looks very cool.

It's set to be a trilogy according to Dyack, and seems like it will have a lot of philosophical subtext to it (a la Xenosaga). Game looks pretty good, too. I enjoyed Eternal Darkness a lot, so this looks promising.

I'm excited to hear more about it at E3.

This issue is quite old, actually, but a cool article nonetheless. I'm not so sure about the way it controls, but I'm optimistic for its showing at E3.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Marlowe said:
I'm not going to say anything -- I'm just here to give you a hug before...you know...the usual starts...:)

I put the "revolutionary control scheme" part in quotes because as usual, Dyack went over the deep end when patting himself on the back. Doesn't mean the game doesn't look intriguing.

TheTrin said:
It's set to be a trilogy according to Dyack, and seems like it will have a lot of philosophical subtext to it (a la Xenosaga).

*runs

nah. but really it looks interesting. i hope it doesn't get looked over due to its aesthetic likeness with Gears of War and that other game. SK deserves a big seller for once

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I like the look of the game a lot, I really do, and I liked a lot of Eternal Darkness, but what the fuck is so special about that control scheme? I know Dyack loves to overhype (the fuck was so special about ED's story?), so maybe that's just it.

C4Lukins

Did they mention how the right control stick will be used? As in, will it be like Fight Night, where you roll the stick to do different moves, or will you just need to tap in a direction to execute them? It really sounds intriguing if they get it right, but it has the potential to be completly broken and frustrating as well.

unifin

So Too Human will implement the smash attack cheap-o system with the right thumbstick from SSB:M?

I kid - hopefully the controls will be tight.

thetrin

C4Lukins said:
Did they mention how the right control stick will be used? As in, will it be like Fight Night, where you roll the stick to do different moves, or will you just need to tap in a direction to execute them? It really sounds intriguing if they get it right, but it has the potential to be completly broken and frustrating as well.

According to the article, you tap in the direction of the enemy, and you let out a flurry of attacks. If you push the left stick in tandem, you do more attacks.

thetrin

f_elz said:
Didn't grabbed by the ghoulies kinda control like TH is supposed to?

As well as Rise to Honor. But this is just for melee attacks. There's also gun play, blah blah blah. They're just toting that the control scheme is simple, rather than being overcomplicated. It's certainly not revolutionary, but it's definitely favorable to most action game setups.

I don't see what's so revolutionary about that. It might be a great set-up though, dual analogue works well for stuff like Fight Night, might work well here.

jj984jj said:
This thread won't end well. :lol

Hasn't even begun well.

Really interested to see more of this at E3 but damned if I won't be staying a million miles away from any Dyack interviews about the game.

thetrin

This is why I put the revolutionary part in quotes. I don't find it revolutionary either. I guess no one got the sarcasm of my topic. :|

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
TheTrin said:
This is why I put the revolutionary part in quotes. I don't find it revolutionary either. I guess no one got the sarcasm of my topic. :|

No no, I got it. Just found the Dyack quote to be funny, that's all. ;)

lol dyack

i love eternal darkness and will most likely buy all the too human games, but the guy really needs to learn how to start speaking with his mouth and not out of his ass

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Did he say anything about game length btw? I'm predicting 70-80 hours myself - 100 hours if we're lucky!

fse

Kiriku said:
Did he say anything about game length btw? I'm predicting 70-80 hours myself - 100 hours if we're lucky!

He said games thar are 25+ hours are too long. :eek:

thetrin

Kiriku said:

per episode, or in total? Remember, it's a trilogy.

Jo-El

BrandNew said:
This issue is quite old, actually, but a cool article nonetheless. I'm not so sure about the way it controls, but I'm optimistic for its showing at E3.
You do know that it is the newest issue, right?

I really wanna like this game, one of my most anticipated titles on the 360; been waiting for it since the PSX days, however, when a dude says this game is like 5 videogames, 3 movies and a SuperBowl broadcast, it means he's trying to hype this game way too much.

Let's look at the facts:
- SK hasn't done anything worthy, ED included
- TH has been in development for 10 years
- He bad talks a great game like GoW
- This game is gonna change the world? How exactly?
- On PSX and GC it was supposed to be an 80 - 100 hour game, now it's 3 games of 25 hours each, c'mon, we know that trick, I invented that trick, 3 * 60 > 60.

This game is gonna be great ( I hope ), but Dyack ain't nothing but a used cars salesman

koam

Denis Dyack is an asshat. He was gloating how MGS:TTS would boast every single possible graphic technique the cube could handle and when it came out, it looked like a turb with very few shadows. The game was still good but good have been better.

He also promissed the world with Eternal Darkness and the game was a borefest. I'll never forgive IGN for making me buy it with that stupid 9.6 rating they gave it just because denis was in bed with them.

Silicon Knights games are average at best and i'm being generous.

p.s the control scheme of ED was nothing special, it was different, yeah but it didn't enhance the game in the slightest and made it repetitive more than anything.

Gigglepoo

Jo-El said:
You do know that it is the newest issue, right?

Yeah, but there was already a thread about the newest issue of EGM. It had scores, rumors, and a bunch of Too Human info. Check out the original thread, with bitching, right here

I wrote up anything interesting from the article in that thread. I'll just report it here.

Too Human

- Planned as a sequel (Just like Shenmue and BG&E!)
- In development for a decade (Take that Rare!)
- Creator (Dyack) says it just might change the world
- Complex mythologt of Gods, Monsters, and Men
- The story "makes statements about technology" it's role in society, etc.
- "When you're playing this game your constantly being told you're too human, that you need to cybernetically upgrade yourself to combat the growing machine forces"
- Went to MS because Nintendo wants to make smaller, simpler games and MS understands big buget extravaganzas.
- Working with Shigs changed their ideas of gameplay, working with Kojima altered their ideas of spectacle and drama
- 25 hours is pushing the limits of how long a game should be... ergo, a trilogy
- You play as a human who weilds traditional weapons and guns against mechanical foes
- Puzzles and platforming is taking a backseat to pure combat
- Shigs control design: easy to pick up, difficult to master
- "From my standpoint, the big failure with God of War was that I found the one combo that worked and just did it over and over," explains Sterchi. "In Too Human, you have to constantly be thinking about your enemies in order to succede"
- Tons of huge bosses (in the same style as Zelda and Metroid)
- Controls!
- Triggers fire guns (left and right)
- Left stick moves
- Right stick attacks
- A jumps
- Right stick and left stick combine to make more varied moves
- No Camera Controls
-"The camera is equivelant to what you see during a Super Bowl broadcast"
- RPG elements that are under wraps for now
- "We approach game story from a Shakespearean model: he'd write cerebral metaphor for the people in the balconies while also including dirty jokes"
- Three levels of plot
- War between man and machine
-A backbone of Norse mythology
-Metaphysical channeling of Nietzsche
- "Imagine if the story in Too Human is really the source of Norse mythology"

i actually liked ED and Twin Snakes, and think Too Human looks cool, but Denis does do a bit of a disservice to his own cause by overhyping SK's games. Then again, only a small percentage of gamers/Xbox360 owners probably even know who he is, let alone read interviews with him, so it probably doesn't do much in the long run.

thetrin

AranhaHunter said:
I really wanna like this game, one of my most anticipated titles on the 360; been waiting for it since the PSX days, however, when a dude says this game is like 5 videogames, 3 movies and a SuperBowl broadcast, it means he's trying to hype this game way too much.

Let's look at the facts:
- SK hasn't done anything worthy, ED included
- TH has been in development for 10 years
- He bad talks a great game like GoW
- This game is gonna change the world? How exactly?
- On PSX and GC it was supposed to be an 80 - 100 hour game, now it's 3 games of 25 hours each, c'mon, we know that trick, I invented that trick, 3 * 60 > 60.

This game is gonna be great ( I hope ), but Dyack ain't nothing but a used cars salesman

Mmmm, I dunno. ED was damn fucking good. One of the few games I've actually played three times through just for one cutscene. While Twin Snakes was totally derivative, it was damn cool to play the game again with Kitamura's new cutscenes. I don't think SK has stepped up to the plate as a AAA developer YET, but Too Human might just do it.

Hell, 1up's Shane said that after seeing it in action, it's now one of his top 3 360 games for E3. That's saying a lot, no?

Gigglepoo

TheTrin said:
Hell, 1up's Shane said that after seeing it in action, it's now one of his top 3 360 games for E3. That's saying a lot, no?

Not really. What is it beating out anyway? I can only think of a handful of X360 games that are coming out this year. I assume E3 will have many an announced title, though.

As far as exclusive games, I guess Crackdown and Gears of War would join Too Human, right? Or is there something I'm forgetting?

Wasn't all of this discussed 2 weeks ago?

TheTrin said:
According to the article, you tap in the direction of the enemy, and you let out a flurry of attacks. If you push the left stick in tandem, you do more attacks.

Sounds like quite a breakthrough.

koam said:
Denis Dyack is an asshat. He was gloating how MGS:TTS would boast every single possible graphic technique the cube could handle and when it came out, it looked like a turb with very few shadows. The game was still good but good have been better.

He also promissed the world with Eternal Darkness and the game was a borefest. I'll never forgive IGN for making me buy it with that stupid 9.6 rating they gave it just because denis was in bed with them.

Silicon Knights games are average at best and i'm being generous.

p.s the control scheme of ED was nothing special, it was different, yeah but it didn't enhance the game in the slightest and made it repetitive more than anything.

I agree with you and never trusted game scores since then (gamespot also gave it a 9.4 or something). The WORST 50 dollar purchase I've ever made, regret it to this day. At least EB Games gave me 22 bucks in store for it, so a net 28+tax loss.

- Went to MS because Nintendo wants to make smaller, simpler games and MS understands big buget extravaganzas.

the-legend-of-zelda.jpg

I love it when he says stuff like that, because it's really not the whole story. He apparently doesn't understand that Nintendo wants to broaden it's base, and making smaller games is one way to do that. It's not as if they all of a sudden just put Zelda, Mario, and Metroid on hold indefinitely.

Maybe they just didn't want to pour money into his vision because his games weren't commercial successes.

Anyway, my only real problem with the game is the overwhelming bloom in some shots and the fact that it looks very, very, very similar to many other Unreal Engine 3 games out there. The control scheme is not revolutionary, but the story sounds pretty good from what I understand.

siege

Banned
Take that, Nintendo! Dyack found a way to revolutionize the way we play games through a standard gamepad.

thetrin

Gigglepoo said:
Not really. What is it beating out anyway? I can only think of a handful of X360 games that are coming out this year. I assume E3 will have many an announced title, though.

As far as exclusive games, I guess Crackdown and Gears of War would join Too Human, right? Or is there something I'm forgetting?

I'll have to listen to the podcast again. I'm not sure if he said "top 3 360 game" or "top 3 game" period.

HocusPocus said:
Looking forward to this game. Screw the haters upset for the system it's on. :)

Nobody is hating the game, well maybe the game, but not the system it's on. Me? I definetly want this game to live up to Dyack's impossible expectations. I've been waiting for it since PSX. However let me ask you a question, do you think this game will be equivalent to 5 videogames, 3 movies and a SB broadcast? I have no doubt that it won't unless that girl from IGN insider comes out and gives me oral pleasure when I play the game

TheTrin said:
I'll have to listen to the podcast again. I'm not sure if he said "top 3 360 game" or "top 3 game" period.
I think he said out of 360 games, but I could be wrong, I deleted the podcast after I listened to it.

AndoCalrissian said:

the-legend-of-zelda.jpg

I love it when he says stuff like that, because it's really not the whole story. He apparently doesn't understand that Nintendo wants to broaden it's base, and making smaller games is one way to do that. It's not as if they all of a sudden just put Zelda, Mario, and Metroid on hold indefinitely.

Maybe they just didn't want to pour money into his vision because his games weren't commercial successes.

Anyway, my only real problem with the game is the overwhelming bloom in some shots and the fact that it looks very, very, very similar to many other Unreal Engine 3 games out there. The control scheme is not revolutionary, but the story sounds pretty good from what I understand.

Having worked with them, I'd think he knows a little bit more about the situation than you do.

Gigglepoo said:

I do believe there are plenty of 360 titles coming out this year to be excited about. :)

Gigglepoo

Confidence Man said:
Having worked with them, I'd think he knows a little bit more about the situation than you do.

It seems like Nintendo was cutting ties with developers who required a big budget but didn't really sell many titles. Rare and SK both spring to mind. They aren't bad developers (Rare is still one of my favorites and I really liked ED) but they don't exactly make a lot of money. Nintendo is a great business and these guys are not good for business. I'm sure if Retro games start to bomb you'll see some overhaul there too.

Or am I wrong?

EDIT - I love the X360 but don't really do the preview/release watching thing. What else is coming out this year that's huge for the X360? I assume if someone is making a top 3 games to get excited for at E3 list they won't include ports. So what other exclussive games should I be getting pumped for?

Viva Pinata is towards the top of my list...

yoopoo

Banned
BrandNew said:
Not to mention, now that we know more about the specs, it was probably more of a horsepower issue for SK. No power or HD, no SK support.
No it was about the money, Nintendo wanted SK to make smaller budget games. Its all in this EGM issue.

The budget for Too Human is like 80 million or something.

Confidence Man said:
I'm just saying... Nintendo hasn't cancelled all of it's big, epic games, now have they? His games were not a commercial success on GameCube. Maybe not his fault, but that's what happened, and this seems like a likely result. If you were Nintendo, and a developer made two big games for you, and neither of them achieved great success, would you keep pouring money into them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom