• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Too Human cover story in EGM - "I will never give gaf an exclusive" says Dyack'

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
OB1 said:
I said that people are judging the game too soon, and MrSardonic said that people are only judging the hype.

did I?

MrSardonic said:
I think the point is actually that most people are focusing on the typically over-the-top SK uber-hype surrounding their own projects.

If you look back over the thread, this is what is actually going on. Your failure to understand that this issue was the real focus of this frankly awesome thread is what forced me to dig out that picture.

Luckett_X said:
I think i'd be pretty pissed as a developer if people were chatting shit about a game thats not been fully shown yet

sigh6pf.jpg

it continues to serve it's purpose.

no angel

christ will this thread ever die?!

as far as i've seen the most negativity the wot series has had from gaf has been for it's decline in quality as the series has progressed. long winded, yes, ridiculed no. i love em, but hey each to there own.

on topic i don't know whether to applaud dyack and jaffe for coming in and answering some of the comments aimed there way or smack myself in the forehead wondering why they didn't just rise above it, don't they know the internet was designed for hysterics?

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
no angel said:
as far as i've seen the most negativity the wot series has had from gaf has been for it's decline in quality as the series has progressed. long winded, yes, ridiculed no. i love em, but hey each to there own.

From gaf? That's like going to a book site for opinions on the new Zelda.

no angel

Mama Smurf said:
From gaf? That's like going to a book site for opinions on the new Zelda.

that's what i've seen in the ot forum. i didn't say i used it to form my opinion of the series if that's what you meant, i'd been reading them before i discovered gaf. besides, i doubt a book site would have posts from robert jordan calling his readers cunts or whatever, so i think i'll stay here for the comedy value thanks :)

Mama Smurf

no angel said:
besides, i doubt a book site would have posts from robert jordan calling his readers cunts or whatever

More's the pity :(

He's dying though, so I doubt many would have a go.

Mama Smurf said:
:lol I'd forgotten that.
Billy Rygar said:
Holy shit I forgot about that.
What the fuck? Why do you think I spelled my name backwards in response and then posted the exploding head GIF after he lambasted my originality in doing so?

Jesus Christ people, pay attention.

Mike Works said:
What the fuck? Why do you think I spelled my name backwards in response and then posted the exploding head GIF after he lambasted my originality in doing so?

I try to forget Eternal Darkness quite often.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
FiRez said:
Can anyone post a summary of this thread?

egm sez dyack is bigger than jesus
gaf sez dyack sux
dyack am cry
drinky ate out peter moore's butthole for charity
jaffe fucked your mom's loose twat

fin

Mama Smurf

Mike Works said:

You're too subtle for me man.

FiRez said:
Can anyone post a summary of this thread?

thanks

xbots: Too Human will change the world!
xboxhaters: Ha ha Eternal Darkness sucked ass! stop using big words denis!
Denis: Blow me losers!
Jaffe: i feel you Dennis.
Denis: My name is Denis, scumbag!
Jaffe: My bad.
/end thread

FiRez

drohne said:
gaf sez dyack sux
dyack am cry

fin

Ninja Scooter said:
xbots: Too Human will change the world!
xboxhaters: Ha ha Eternal Darkness sucked ass! stop using big words denis!
Denis: Blow me losers!
Jaffe: i feel you Dennis.
Denis: My name is Denis, scumbag!
Jaffe: My bad.
/end thread

ok I get it

drohne said:
gaf sez dyack sux
dyack am cry

fin

Pretty much.

Oh...and Death Gate Cycle is my favorite series...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Madrin said:

And people actually make fun of KH2's anagram Organization names. That is so much worse.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Mama Smurf said:
I won't claim to know much about philosophy, I'll let White Man dish out that ownage, but what I do know is fantasy literature. I can remember back before Eternal Darkness came out, Dyack was always posting on the IGN boards. One person asked about the books he read, and if he liked The Wheel of Time and (I think, it's been a while) Death Gate Cycle. I don't remember his exact response, whether he said that was the sort of thing he was going for or just that he thought they were great books, but it was definitely positive.

Hey, I really really enjoyed the Death Gate Cycle :)

Though, nothing at all can even raise a finger toward Goodkind. Hands down. And part of my dual-degree was literature - despite my terrible spelling/grammar most of the time here on GAF :lol

<off camera>

We've secretly replaced GAF's haterade with a combination of CosplayThread+JaffeExplodeThread, let's see if they notice!

...and presenting, Too Human for Xbox 360!

TooHuman-FFVII.jpg

Matlock

Banned
davidjaffe said:
#3- Me being unclassy.....AHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA! Are you nuts man? Where is it in my job description to be classy?

David

You could at least clean your sweatshirts before you go on stage, man.

And tidy your damn games room!

Prine

Banned
Dyack, Jaffe, Cliffy

you lot are safe.

+100 respect

(I'm adding you guys to the list of devs to support, you'll be joining my boi's Itagaki and Peter Molenuex)

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
At least you guys were working on some tight games! No wonder you only went as far as food.

Spare a thought then for this anecdote on my shitty life nearly two years ago...

Dan's shitty life, 2 years ago
I was originally hired to work on design and pitching, with occasional help with PR and Biz Dev at a London Studio. Confusing I know, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Sadly, the boss never told the lead designer, so that went all tits up in the first week (he was undertsandably pissed off) and I was then put less on design (what I love) and more on the other stuff, though still had a hand in pitching.

I then helped out on a game that was 3 months away from being in the can. The boss who hadn't had a single hit at the studio for 20 years, wanted to be the creative guy on every damn game despite playing - nay *loving* trash like the Jet Li game on PS2 and thinking if "our game had professional out house cutscenes, it would get an 8 out of 10". This 8 out of 10 comment was a reaction to my answer to his question of what our game would get. I said 6 out of 10.

The game was a third person shooter with no dodge button. Just shoot. And shoot more. And occasionally throw a grenade and a special power that has no real use in the game other than to hurt more things.

One of my favourite parts of the game was one of the giant enemy monsters. It would come charging at you from nowhere but it would stomp you into the ground imediately after and you had no hope of getting up. Instant kill, pad thrown out the window, etc... but because the scripters figured out you could run inbetween its arm and body as it ran toward you - a completely incoherent solution to a viewer, let alone a player - they decided against a dodge. Yup. That's the amazing decision making I was trying to contribute to.

It was the worst year of my life. I hated it, hated the (non)creative environment, the attitude of the studio and put on weight (yummy; food AND wine) and started toking the 'erb again just to be able to fall asleep at night. I still feel bad for the Lead Designer and Producer there. They are incredibly talented and stay for reasons only people who write the amazing twists in 24 could possibly figure out.

So the moral of our story:
Work on decent games with stressful timeline = put on weight, but be happy at the end! Know you are making a difference in adding more to the pool of great games, rather than the river of shite content that will only pollute that which we drink.

Work on shitty games at shitty studio that will never see the light, in the WORST part of London and never EVER have your ideas appreciated and get slapped down everytime you try to contribute something positive = put on weight, smoke a spliff every night to put yourself to sleep because it's too exhausting to even get to the Capoeira class. Be happy when you finally LEAVE. Spend month getting your brain and self esteem back to normal.

Now to today:
I'm happy! I live in L.A and make things I love. I'm in charge of bringing one of my all fave games from 15 years ago to Xbox Live! It's going to *OWN* Losing my spare tyre and ain't chuffed a zoot in ages. Have a job interview (2nd interview) today at one of my favourite developers and I cannot fecking wait.

Just wanted to share that story so you guys don't forget that despite the shitness you guys went through, you were working on shit you loved and that makes ALL the difference.

(At least I think it does).

Spare a thought for the poor bastards that have to endure shitty decisions every day. maybe I should strat a charity fund for them.

Also to:

David Jaffe:
Your talk with Lorne at GDC was fucking excellent. Very illuminating and funny. Things like that need to be spoken of more often.

Dennis Dyack: I sucked at Eternal Darkness, but I very much enjoyed it up to the point where I had to stop playing because Resident Evil 4 stole and enriched my life forevermore.

slade

John Harker said:
Though, nothing at all can even raise a finger toward Goodkind. Hands down. And part of my dual-degree was literature - despite my terrible spelling/grammar most of the time here on GAF :lol

Goodkind? He sucks. The first book was ok but the rest of the series was a steady decline. I quit around book four when the most powerful woman in the Midlands nearly got taken out by a killer Chicken.

Stephen Erikson is where it's at for fantasy.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Funky Papa said:
You whore, don't tell me you helped with the design of Constantine. I had to review that log!

Glad to hear about the Xbox Arcade stuff, now, do tell =P

No I didn't, but believe me I tried...

XBL stuff = secret for now ;-)

Amir0x

Banned
You know, DrEvil, even if what you say is technically true... there is absolutely no reason for doing that in this thread. A smear campaign against Eric is ridiculous. We were having good fun in criticizing Dyack's games and his silly hyperbole, they're tangible and not really related to the how good/bad the man is himself (even if there were some minor fat jokes, but it's all in good fun since he's no longer that fat and hey - I'm fucking fat).

That's about as far as this thread can go if this is where it is leading.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Amir0x said:
You know, DrEvil, even if what you say is technically true... there is absolutely no reason for doing that in this thread. A smear campaign against Eric is ridiculous. We were having good fun in criticizing Dyack's games and his silly hyperbole, they're tangible and not really related to the how good/bad the man is himself (even if there were some minor fat jokes, but it's all in good fun since he's no longer that fat and hey - I'm fucking fat).

That's about as far as this thread can go if this is where it is leading.

Amir0x, I know this isn't the place to do it, but when I read through this thread and read his constant kissassing and shit, I couldn't just sit by and watch him do it all over again.

And yeah, Denis' pretty big again, almost to the level he was back during ED; unfortunately, I didn't have my camera, nor would he have liked me taking a candid shot of him while he shopped.. heh.

It's not a smear campaign against Eric, I just want him to stop being a fucking kiss ass, I mean seriosuly, go back and look at his posts in this thread whenever he mentions SK or Denis; not to mention the actual verbal threats he gave at E3 last year for our staff to "Not get in the way of him, or else" and such, he's just a very warped individual.. But that's all I've got to say on that subject.

d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom