• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Coverage April/13/07 (post #922+ for reactions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffey

The melee combat still looks a tad bit stiff but I'll believe the disclaimer and hopefully that'll get worked out in the end. It looks lightyears beyond the E3 demo and seems quite promising now. As far as changing the way I think about games? I doubt it'll do quite that, but it should be a fun Diablo-ish kinda game though.

Ash_69

Well this sounds promising...
Shame I've gotta wait another hour till its downloaded.:lol
Gona go revise for my taxation exam now and return in time for the mayhem.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

The game that will change the way you think about games indeed.

Visual are OK, good cutscenes but terrible gameplay stuff.
Seriously this has to be a joke, who can look at the combat footage and think "YEAH! THIS IS AWESOME" seriously, fire your animators and start from scratch.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I like the way they are going with the build your character up, especially with the co-op and online thrown in. Graphics are nice, though environments seem a little empty (not a big deal though, plenty of time left). Not sure how I feel about right analog combat, sounds like something Kudo would do to make things seem more "intuitive". I guess you can't call it a button masher then. ;) I can see where the god of war in the future feeling comes from, but it seems to have a grander scale with the rpg elements.

I'll be keeping an eye out on this. But it definitely has not changed the way I think about games. :lol

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
MickeyKnox said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

The game that will change the way you think about games indeed.

Visual are OK, good cutscenes but terrible gameplay stuff.
Seriously this has to be a joke, who can look at the combat footage and think "YEAH! THIS IS AWESOME" seriously, fire your animators and start from scratch.

Too many smilies. Point me towards a game with better graphics.

Whats bad about the combat? We've gone over it, a bit here and there where the framerate goes down, and a bit of stiffness.

Did you watch the ending, the camera section, or just the beginning?

goldenpp72

yeah the game has this bulky stiffness to it that bothers me a lot, id really like denis to actually look at what's wrong with this build and tell us if they will remedy it.

I see a lot of great things here though, so i'm not gonna bitch :)

Choabac

In the video they showed off the class selection screen. The classes are:

Berserker
Defender
Champion
Commando
Bioengineer

All and all the game looks great, but not genre defining. But then again the video mostly showed off just combat, camera and movement. Not too much of the RPG side.

Sean

Banned
Early impressions seem promising, that's definitely good to hear :)

My download will be done in a few minutes, can't wait.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Looking really good, the animation is still a bit choppy, looks as if there are no transitional animations between different attacks but that could just be due to it's early nature.

GreekWolf

Ok I've finally made it all the way through. The last few segments are HOT! Visuals are an absolute treat. Mouth-watering good.. as in I REALLY can't wait to play this! :D

Lair looks good too, though I think there's still quite a bit of work to be done if they're shooting for a summer release. It just has a quality about it that looks a bit janky... can't put my finger on it exactly.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Meh... graphics range from ok to great in parts.

Animation is horrendous which kills the gameplay feel for me.

White Man

It. . . looks like Too Hunman. Looking decent. The little gameplay shown appears kinda choppy. I'm hoping there's more. Give us a release date!

MbGCaM

Holy shit. UPGRADETON indeed. It looks really promising: nice graphics, good cutscenes, awesome camera and finally the combat seems fun to me.

Good job DD.

BboyDubC

This also looks to be the first time that IGN released an IGN weekly version that was 640x360 and wasnt only to insiders. This will for once not be straight crap quality. Gamevideos caliber for once. Maybe Denis dropped the bomb and said he at least wanted people to be able to tell what was going on if they were unveiling his video, and NOT just the Insiders.

or they are trying to somehow appease us for it being over 5 hrs late

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
HydrantC12 said:
OK. I just got through it. It looked great. I was impressed. The only thing iffy right now is the combat. It didn't seem to 'flow" just right. Hopefully their will be more videos so I can see the combat more in action. I loved the presentation though.

Yeah. But now you can really see the potential of the game --the combat looks sick (I'm sorry I had to resort to "dude"-like words).

It has that epic feel, with the camera pulsing and the amazing in-air combos! Jesus!

To everyone watching this. If you've downloaded it, I recommend that you watch it twice. The first time I saw it (the combat portions), I thought "cool...eh," but the second time, for some odd, out-of-this-world reason, it just clicked and the game quickly became my most anticipated 360 game

Christ, that was amazing. Sorry Alan Wake, you're going under the radar --Too Human's on top now! HOLY crap.

Only problem I have, and it's a very, very minor one, is the walking animation still looks...a bit stiff. Other than that, it's perfect (well, yeah, the framerate could be a bit better smoother in some areas, but that's not something to complain about as it's going to be ironed out by release. The framerate problems are just so minute, it's not a big deal).

Denis, I hope you have a big smile across your face now!

QVT said:
Too many smilies. Point me towards a game with better graphics.

Whats bad about the combat? We've gone over it, a bit here and there where the framerate goes down, and a bit of stiffness.

Did you watch the ending, the camera section, or just the beginning?
Just to clarify I never hold frame rate against a game in previews so my comments were directed at the combat while giving a freepass to the slowdown.

The reason for all the smilies is that the combat looks ridiculous, the animations are beyond stiff and the snap-on warping nature of it makes it even worse.

For those of you who are still downloading picture this: a group of enemies around you, lock on and speed warp to one, plant your feet, flail your sword around (with just your arm moving, the rest of your body is frozen in place, enemy dies you automatically are zoomed to the next guy and repeat the process of standing still in front of him flailing your arm with the sword at him.

And the gunplay is just as bad but at least it's a bit easier to swallow the lack of motion in the character when firing a gun vs swinging a sword.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
duffey said:
The melee combat still looks a tad bit stiff but I'll believe the disclaimer and hopefully that'll get worked out in the end. It looks lightyears beyond the E3 demo and seems quite promising now. As far as changing the way I think about games? I doubt it'll do quite that, but it should be a fun Diablo-ish kinda game though.

Yeah, I think the reason it was stiff is almost entirely because of the framerate and a few tiny kinks in the animations that they're gonna work out. Other than that, the game just made me **** my pants.

On the other hand, I can understand the negative responses. To those individuals, I highly recommend watching the video a second time. You've got to be blind not to see the amazing potential here.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Grimm Fandango said:
Gameplay is meh right now. Not fluid enough.

But the presentation and art is pretty good.

The sad thing is that right afterwards, Lair is the greatest looking game I've ever seen.

I think DD gets it. Fluidity is key. Faster walking speed, more fluid movement, improved frame rate, and A RELEASE DATE, the sooner the better.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
bscap0095bf0.jpg

bscap0096yz2.jpg

bscap0097zv1.jpg

bscap0098gp4.jpg

bscap0099ws4.jpg

bscap0100di4.jpg

bscap0101vx5.jpg

bscap0102qo3.jpg

bscap0103pd2.jpg

Hy_

The fighting animation looked stiff. Not sure if it's completely open like DMC/NG/GoW or the next evolution in KOTOR's fighting engine.

Framerate hiccups but I'm sure it won't be a problem. Usually gets worked out through optimization.

Overall I feel meh about it. Sure it will be a good game, liking the loot whore aspect of it.

GreekWolf

QVT said:
The sad thing is that right afterwards, Lair is the greatest looking game I've ever seen.
I thought that too... until they shifted from cut scenes to actual gameplay. Still holding out hope though that it'll be as impressive as everyone is expecting by the time it ships. It needs to be good, dammit.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
To echo some sentiments:

Ideas are solid. Camera looks pretty cool. Visuals are good-great, depending. Battle has potential, but somethng's... wrong.

In short, I think the core of the battle issues are:

1) Animation. Stiff, stilted, disconnected from the world. Really needs work. There doesn't seem to be ANY power, or inertia in any weapon movements.

2) Enemy reactions. Due to 1, it looks like you simply cut through air near an enemy, and they slowly fly away, gravity free. Again, weight, inertia, and power aren't translated in this at all.

It's a mix of everything. The effects, the animation, the sound, and the enemy reactions.

Ah well, I think it's solid enough to be beyond the usual "omg canned lol" danger zone, but my whole gaming life hasn't been a lie, thus far. :)

Krowley

Concept = Awesome... I love the fact that this is an RPG. All those aspects sound really cool. All that stuff Should add tons of replay factor. The camera also seems to function well. It sounds like the world will be huge with exploration as a big part of the expierience and i'm liking the sound of that.

ART = Mouth watering. Very impressed with the archetecture and the epic vibe.

Combat = I was not blown away... It may feel great to play, but the combat definitly doesn't look that cool and doesn't seem very fluid. It's in the acceptable range when you consider all the other things the game is supposed to be offering, but this does not seem to rival DMC/NG/GOW when it comes to combat. Don't get me wrong... The combat looks pretty fun, but it isn't mind blowing or anything. You get the feeling that it's not as big an emphasis as it is in games like ninja gaiden... Maybe more like a zelda game where the combat is there to break up the adventuring and add some challenge. The combat's obviously a lot deeper than a zelda game, but it's not good enough to be the games main focus or anything. That's the vibe i got when watching the video.

If they expect this to be more of an RPG/adventure than an action/brawler, then the combat will be alright... Maybe even exceptional for that genre... If they expect to make combat the main focus and put it up against games like ninja gaiden or god of war, then they need to work on it.

GhaleonEB

Graphics were pretty incredible. I'm nervous about the combat, both in design and control, though. Hopefully they do a demo so I can be sold on that.

Loved the artwork - immense, diverse environments, lots of interesting character designs. Some things like animation, especially running, need to come a ways but I'm not going to nitpick a work in progress. The broad strokes look great.

But alas, I've tried to think of how it will change the way I think about games - no luck so far. It just looks like a very good game.

n0b

Graphics look great, but damn the gameplay looks pretty bad. It looks like they took the great action games of last gen and slowed it down(Which makes sense, as playing a fast action game with analog stick for attacks just doesn't seem like it would work at all), and then got rid of any style and depth those games had.

Tieno

I'm 6 minutes in (rest is downloadingà. The presentation looks very good. I LOVE the different environments, this is why I like playing games. Being in impressive, beautiful environments.
Music is cool.

Not sold on combat/animation. Will need more polish.

Treo360

goldenpp72 said:
what does the back button thing say? something about a camera?

free look

d-pad controls the spider

Left analog is movement

left trigger fires secondary
Right trig is primary

left bumper is activate ruiners
right is jump

y is second battle cry
b is dodge roll
a is jump
x is battle cry 1

Right analog is direct melee action
direct ranged when (it gets blurry when I zoom in) combined(?) with left trigger
click the R analog and it will . . . can't make it out

One thing that did seem off is that the characters don armor and wield swords... and yet the technology is incredibly advanced. The scene in the drop ship stands out specifically right before the 9 minute mark; it doesn't fit in very well with the characters.

QVT said:
Also, I'd like to start this now: The character moves WAY too slow. Slower than Dante, way slower than Kratos, and about 1/5th the speed of Ryu.

well thats one way to help cure the framerate issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom