• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too human may miss 2007

Hannar

Pachinko said:
It's kind of pathetic on GAF's part that dennis only posts here when the majority of us make fun of his games endlessly. I'd be interested to know if my earlier question could be answered at all now that he's browsing this thread. That is, has the scope of this trilogy been narrowed down to just 1 or 2 games or is it planned that when the first part makes it out there'll be a yearly sequel for the other 2.

I mean, I know SK is known for it's fairly long development times, likely becuase they are an excitable group of folks who just want to show off their product much like peter molyneux or will wright , even if it's months or years away from completion. I"m just saying it'd get a little silly if too human winds up being like half life episodes that come out only every 18-24 months, at that point you may need to narrow the scope of things a little to get a product out or just take 2 years and make a full continuation instead of the next 3rd of the experience.

Let it be said that I'm interested in playing too human when it finally makes it out .. unless it actually does get pushed back another year or 2 becuase by that time I'll likely be investing my gaming hours elsewhere.

To give you some idea, Denis made this post earlier today at TooHuman.net:

Denis Dyack said:
There will be no cliff hangers - we feel those are the kiss of death for a good trilogy. There will be some overarching plot points that will not be resolved until the final game but this a must for a trilogy. As i have said before each game will be self contained.

A little indirect, but this is still a trilogy.

Odrion

Banned
Should take as long as they want. As long as I get a good game featuring futuristic templar-looking dudes with Norse mythology.

Juice

Denis Dyack said:
In time these comments will be bearers of fruit. Unfortunately for many here, they are going to be very bitter.

Funny, as this statement could be readily stated from fans, to you--wherein the `comments` are exaggerative hype and the `bitter fruit` are the sobering delays and shattered hopes that your games would deliver on their promises.

Denis Dyack said:
I am sorry to see not much has changed here on the GAF. There should be no question as to why many developers do not post here. Thanks to those who were positive and made some logical comments.

To me the passing around these pictures/comments is like smashing the conch which alludes to many of the secondary themes in Lord of the Flies.

In time these comments will be bearers of fruit. Unfortunately for many here, they are going to be very bitter.

I have never trolled Too Human, and I have, in fact, been looking forward to it.

Until now.

Seeing a developer chastise GAF for being GAF is pretty pathetic. Everyone who visits an internet board should know what they are getting by now. Some of it is good, some of it is bad. Grow a thick skin or die.

Throwing in some pseudo-intellectual "analysis" comparing GAF to children in The Lord of the Flies is not only insulting, it isn't even particularly original. Perhaps that's the problem--you need a little more time trying to be like Miyamoto and Jaffe, and a little less time trying to be like Foucault and Lawrence.

Thanks for alienating someone who was looking forward to your game, Denis. Good job.

Maybe it's the fever I've been running, but the past page or so is an incredibly bizarre read. Dyack appears to be speaking in some sort of dire half-English and Mifune is running up a hardcore apologetic banner out of nowhere, and I unno... It feels like a ****ing Persian is about to get kicked into a pit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I still believe, have always believed, and have defended Denis in previous Dyack-bashing threads. I loved Eternal Darkness and I hope you guys deliver.

Mifune

Mehmber
Son of Godzilla said:
Maybe it's the fever I've been running, but the past page or so is an incredibly bizarre read. Dyack appears to be speaking in some sort of dire half-English and Mifune is running up a hardcore apologetic banner out of nowhere, and I unno... It feels like a ****ing Persian is about to get kicked into a pit.

I'm always happy to see developers post here, and hate to see them run off by some clueless trolls.

But whatever.

This is....

SPAINNNNNNNNN!!!!!

Right?

MightyHedgehog said:
What's stupid is that you've decided to take that so seriously. I think it's you that needs to grow a thick skin.

Blame Denis, not me. He's the one who thought it was so important that he had to post a second time to make sure we wouldn't miss his "great insight."

I didn't respond the first time he did it, because I thought it was just silly, but he decided to keep riffing on the theme.

If he didn't want someone to respond to his insult, he obviously shouldn't have posted it in a forum with the word "discussion" in the title.

~Kinggi~

Banned
You see here is what Denis knows and apparently most of you dont. When the game finally releases, and its either great or bad, that will be the driver behind the type of praise or hype it will receive, not these little annoying threads at gaf about people complaining over little things. Either way, its getting attention, so good or bad attention doesnt matter for a game that releases and is great.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Caspel said:
Here's a quick look at the calendar and why I believe Too Human will benefit with moving into 2008

April:
Guitar Hero II

May:
Forza Motorsport
Spider-Man 3
Two Worlds

July:
NCAA Football 08
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Project Silpheed

urk said:
Of course it looks light right now. Six months from today, that 2008 list is going to be filled out considerably. By your logic, they should move the title to 2009 because the list looks like this:

Can't see shit.

:lol Nice.

But I see July/April as open windows. No MS first party -- just Project Silpheed and Kane and Lynch in July while April just has Guitar Hero II, basically. May would also be another option, considering the other Microsoft published title, Forza 2, is a completely different type of game than Too Human -- fans of the two genre's shouldn't clash generally. But to be safe, April is a good window, as is July.

I don't believe the game will be delayed, but July and April, as I mentioned, are excellent months to release Too Human. With Bioshock delayed, this works very well.

Just to maybe get some compelling information, does this post resonate with you Dyack? (i.e., I'm asking because your response will determine if it releases in the coming months, or summer)

And don't worry about some of the comments. The internet houses some loony individuals. I wouldn't let 'em get to you. Because when they do.....

FrankT

Pristine_Condition said:
I have never trolled Too Human, and I have, in fact, been looking forward to it.

Until now.

Seeing a developer chastise GAF for being GAF is pretty pathetic. Everyone who visits an internet board should know what they are getting by now. Some of it is good, some of it is bad. Grow a thick skin or die.

Throwing in some pseudo-intellectual "analysis" comparing GAF to children in The Lord of the Flies is not only insulting, it isn't even particularly original. Perhaps that's the problem--you need a little more time trying to be like Miyamoto and Jaffe, and a little less time trying to be like Foucault and Lawrence.

Thanks for alienating someone who was looking forward to your game, Denis. Good job.

That has got be the lamest shit I've ever read on the Internets to date.

JdFoX187

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:

Until now.

I think GAF has been pathetic for some of the things it's done in the past, especially toward Dyack. I have seen the threads calling him fat, insulting his character, trolling the game, etc. There's nothing wrong with calling out faults of a game, especially with as much hype as Too Human is getting. If Halo 3 turns out to be a bomb, there'd be nothing wrong with criticising it. But, to blatantly insult the figurehead of the development. To personally attack him. That's beyond pathetic. That's the antics of a child. And now, the man defends himself on this board where he's been attacked since E3 2006, and he's the pathetic one?

Sean

Banned
toohumanku3.jpg

Believe.

Chrono

Banned
Denis Dyack said:
I am sorry to see not much has changed here on the GAF. There should be no question as to why many developers do not post here.

Well one thing you can do to get better response here is to not cry like a baby every time you don't hear anything good about your Shakespearian epic.

Quazar

Denis Dyack said:
Don't forget - "Too Human suxs. I know I played it! Or I mean my friend did and he said it suxxors."

Cool, you're still around GAF. Do know you have alot of people cheering for you with TH.

If you can answer, is online aspect still in? It'd be great to team up with friends to fight bosses and gain rare items through XBL and have updates with new mobs etc. Hell, that alone is what made MMOs fun for me and clan. Without the sh!tty grind MMOs come with, It'd be a sick feature and will definitely stand out.

Ark-AMN

Banned
Hmm, didn't IGN say a while ago that they were going to head up to SK to play the latest build and get media and stuff? what ever happened to that?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Quazar said:
Cool, you're still around GAF. Do know you have alot of people cheering for you with TH.

If you can answer, is online aspect still in? It'd be great to team up with friends to fight bosses and gain rare items through XBL and have updates with new mobs etc. Hell, that alone is what made MMOs fun for me and clan. Without the sh!tty grind MMOs come with, It'd be a sick feature and will definitely stand out.

Yeah Denis, for every disrespectful and unscrupulous user, there's an insightful and positive one. Please don't leave GAF. I, among others, appreciate your posts.

Woo-Fu said:
Maybe they saw the footage of Heavenly Sword and said, "uhoh..."

As far as I know, we've seen close to nothing of Too Human. I'm sure Dyack has something to surprise us with! Show us that forest/haven environment Dyack! That should look amazing!

Hannar

Ark-AMN said:
Hmm, didn't IGN say a while ago that they were going to head up to SK to play the latest build and get media and stuff? what ever happened to that?

IGN is heading up there for the exclusive the week after next. Denis seems pretty pumped about the trip and finally being able to answer all of the questions surrounding the game -- personally, I'm excited he's letting us from TooHuman.net tag along for the story ;).

You can tell Denis is reaching the point where he's just ready to let the game speak for itself -- and he's happy it's at a point where it can. The whole "ice bucket" thing makes sense, but it's obvious how painful it can be. The level of misinformation that is currently out there is pretty incredible. I mean, if I hear "Hasn't Too Human been in development for 15 years?" one more time I may go crazy... I can only imagine how Denis feels about it. But hey, if the 'knowledgeable' gaming media keeps asking about it, I assume we're going to hear it more and more until the game is finally out.

Eventually the game is going to speak for itself. Hopefully we can get over a lot of the God of War comparisons when the RPG elements are let loose, and maybe, just maybe, the rest of the popular cracks will clear up when there is a solid product ready to go. Because if nothing else, SK does make great games.

goldenpp72

denis has every right to be annoyed at the people here, it's not just people making fun of too human but denis himself, id like to see all the people who trashed him get the same treatment and see how they like it.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
goldenpp72 said:
denis has every right to be annoyed at the people here, it's not just people making fun of too human but denis himself, id like to see all the people who trashed him get the same treatment and see how they like it.

Yeah, you remember those ridiculous comments a few months back?

What's up you guys (some of you)? Let's have some moral restraint and respect here!

goldenpp72

Well even the mods did it, so unfortunately they can get away with it. Gaf has a funny side, like those peter moore shops, but then they have this hateful side which is what denis got, the fact anyone could be offended that denis was offended is just hilarious.

It's unfortunate that denis only really post on ign as my subscription is going to run out without renewal.

veinkman

Woo-Fu said:
Maybe they saw the footage of Heavenly Sword and said, "uhoh..."
Don't be a moron like 95% of the posters in this thread.
I swear, this place is full of some of the most disrespectful, naive, and dellusional posters on any forum. Almost as bad if not worse than the PS3land forums or system wars. The majority of them have to bash people and other consoles to reassure themselves they have "teh besters and most powahs" console I guess. Pathetic. I'm shocked reality has not set in yet with some of you.

Syb

I read somewhere that the trilogy is based directly on Norse mythology, is that correct? Well then I guess its safe to say that the third title will end with Ragnarok? Cant wait. :)

Xamdou

Hannar said:
IGN is heading up there for the exclusive the week after next. Denis seems pretty pumped about the trip and finally being able to answer all of the questions surrounding the game -- personally, I'm excited he's letting us from TooHuman.net tag along for the story ;).

You can tell Denis is reaching the point where he's just ready to let the game speak for itself -- and he's happy it's at a point where it can. The whole "ice bucket" thing makes sense, but it's obvious how painful it can be. The level of misinformation that is currently out there is pretty incredible. I mean, if I hear "Hasn't Too Human been in development for 15 years?" one more time I may go crazy... I can only imagine how Denis feels about it. But hey, if the 'knowledgeable' gaming media keeps asking about it, I assume we're going to hear it more and more until the game is finally out.

Eventually the game is going to speak for itself. Hopefully we can get over a lot of the God of War comparisons when the RPG elements are let loose, and maybe, just maybe, the rest of the popular cracks will clear up when there is a solid product ready to go. Because if nothing else, SK does make great games.

Thanks for the Gamespot link!, Denis Dyack said in that interview that they won't show the game until it's near complete so that means that when they show if off at IGN it will be a build that will will showcase the game! :)

Hannar

Syb said:
I read somewhere that the trilogy is based directly on Norse mythology, is that correct? Well then I guess its safe to say that the third title will end with Ragnarok? Cant wait. :)

Based on the Norse Mythos, yes, but there will be twists along the way.

Salazar

I don't object on spec to Dyack namedropping Shakespeare, but the remark about doing dirty jokes for the groundlings and more elevated fare for the aristocracy is bunk. For a start, the Elizabethan aristocracy were at least as sordid in their proclivities as the peasants, and probably a damned sight dirtier given the leisure and privacy to experiment. What's more, reliable scholarship has shown that we have, over the centuries, significantly underestimated the intellect and ability to track narrative of the common folk who went to watch Elizabethan theatre. For one thing, following sermons as if (as you might well have believed) your immortal soul depended on it would conceivably have trained the mind to keep up with a good deal of the vocabulary and wordplay on offer.

The point isn't just academic - Dyack's bogus ideas about Shakespeare are irrelevant in themselves, for sure, but having this patronising audience dichotomy driving game design sucks. Gamers who want a workable combat system aren't guffawing peasants. I for one won't have my irritation with a substandard game tempered by the idea that entry-level moral philosophy inspired this or that part of it. Just make a good game, and stop pretending that you have the artistic elbow-room to pontificate about how different bits of it will change the lives of different gamers.

Draft

Salazar said:
I don't object on spec to Dyack namedropping Shakespeare, but the remark about doing dirty jokes for the groundlings and more elevated fare for the aristocracy is bunk. For a start, the Elizabethan aristocracy were at least as sordid in their proclivities as the peasants, and probably a damned sight dirtier given the leisure and privacy to experiment. What's more, reliable scholarship has shown that we have, over the centuries, significantly underestimated the intellect and ability to track narrative of the common folk who went to watch Elizabethan theatre. For one thing, following sermons as if (as you might well have believed) your immortal soul depended on it would conceivably have trained the mind to keep up with a good deal of the vocabulary and wordplay on offer.

The point isn't just academic - Dyack's bogus ideas about Shakespeare are irrelevant in themselves, for sure, but having this patronising audience dichotomy driving game design sucks. Gamers who want a workable combat system aren't guffawing peasants. I for one won't have my irritation with a substandard game tempered by the idea that entry-level moral philosophy inspired this or that part of it. Just make a good game, and stop pretending that you have the artistic elbow-room to pontificate about how different bits of it will change the lives of different gamers.
pimpsmack.gif

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Watching it behind closed doors at E3 last year was great and I will always be anticipating this game whether it comes out in 2007 or not. It can only get better from here imo.

Salazar

The Elizabethan theatre analogy does throw up something interesting, though - staggered costs of admission. If I'm only buying it to crunch an oversized sabre into some robots/aliens/as yet not all that clearly defined foes, do I have to pay the same price as the aristocrats soaking up all the philosophy / Tolstoyan gravitas / Nabokovian brio ?

Cleverness = microtransactable commodity ?

Top Bottom