• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JulAug17| Most Definitely the Work of an Enemy Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizerman

Also the same reason people like Laura Bailey and Crispin Freeman barely do anymore anime gigs. Yuri Lowenthal too I think.

Well in Yuri's case, there's still Code Geass related stuff. But yeah, the veterans are doing less anime and more video games/western cartoons.

Video game work probably pays more + has a better attitude towards dubs, I guess?

Probably started to get more offers in video games as he got popular.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I always miss the new threads.

Any of y'all know a good anime to watch on Netflix?

Hunter x Hunter is on there, but I kinda want to wait for the Toonami airings.

zulux21

hmmmmm
you lie in april.
madoka?
fate zero
kill la kill is liked by a number of people.
devil is a part timer
gurren is solid
durarara is fun
death note is a classic
seven deadly sins is enjoyable enough as long as you get past the main characters grabby hands same with magi.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
hmmmmm
you lie in april.
madoka?
fate zero
kill la kill is liked by a number of people.
devil is a part timer
gurren is solid
durarara is fun
death note is a classic
seven deadly sins is enjoyable enough as long as you get past the main characters grabby hands same with magi.

I saw kill la kill (meh) and gurren lagann (amazing) on Toonami

I'll pass on deadly sins, but I should probably watch Death Note now that you mention it

seems like an iconic anime I should know about

TheSun

I remember there being Satoshi Kon movies there. Was gonna suggest them but I doubt they have'm anymore.

If not then give Shigurui a try. Very artsy Jidaigeki. One of the few anime that doesn't Romanticise samurais. It's really dark stuff. Very cool.

Speaking of Shigurui; it's one of the few manga's out there that has artwork comparable to Berserk. Stuff is amazing, especially when it comes to anatomy.

837f05b8b56ef141e3d5f6ddca917463.jpg

cntr

Banned
You know, do people actually remember what Launch was like? She wasn't a great character at all. She was pretty boring, actually.

cntr

Banned
Launch and Chi-Chi are both pretty eh, eh.

Bulma and Mai were the actual stars of DB.

And, it's annoying to post some nice fanart and then have people go "BUT LAUNCH" instead. Like, blah.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, tbh, that's true. 18's pretty good too, though.

I hear Super does some things to alleviate this, but we'll see next year I guess?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Going back in the thread a little bit...
Driving in Manhattan is suicide. It's for rageaholics. And yea, we're not all as rude as everyone makes us out to be. So long as you figure out and follow the basic etiquette of the sidewalks no one will really care.
The general rule of thumb if you're an out-of-towner and perceive that a local New Yorker is being rude to you, it's most likely because you did something rude first.

Seda

I've been to Long Island several times, but only NYC proper once. It was cool.

One of my, er, most memorable personal stories in when I flew in literally the day before Hurrricane Sandy hit. I was deserted on an abandoned lab campus for two days without access to transportation or much food. I ate out of a vending machine.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Videl isn't much of a character after the tournament in the Buu arc. That bald dude beat the uniqueness right the fuck out of her.

cntr

Banned
Modern Toonami's okay with a lot of things.

Kill la Kill is the only recent show that required major censorship, afaik

Seda

Even with Kill La Kill they lightened up on the censoring in the later parts of the show, as if they didn't care anymore. Obviously stuff like Ragyo in the bath was still edited though.

(I'm am writing up my Long Island story, big post incoming)

zulux21

Videl isn't much of a character after the tournament in the Buu arc. That bald dude beat the uniqueness right the fuck out of her.

true enough, but to be fair after that the stakes got higher and there wasn't any time for videl to shine.

she doesn't do much in super though.

videl is still best girl because she ends up with best boy :p

also... it's still amazing that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhoMBD-XP_Q aired on toonami. those moans lol
The dub of that scene is way fucking better than the French version. Dude just laughed, Keith on the other hand was like, "yep I'm going to have to orgasm into the microphone."
Even with Kill La Kill they lightened up on the censoring in the later parts of the show, as if they didn't care anymore. Obviously stuff like Ragyo in the bath was still edited though.

(I'm am writing up my Long Island story, big post incoming)
Toonami wasn't ready for purification...

Seda

Okay, sure I'll tell this story again. It's Friday and nobody is doing work today anyway. (I'm not sure I've shared this in full before actually). In short, the lab was shut down for two days and I think I might have been the only one there.

I used to occasionally do some beamline experiments at the synchrotron source at Brookhaven National Lab. These sorts of "beam times" are proposed and planned for months in advance, so even though we knew shortly beforehand there was going to be a major storm, we couldn't really cancel the trip. It would have been too expensive to, basically. My flight in landed the day before the storm hit. Now some National Labs tend to be a little bit away from cities and populated areas, as they need a lot of space to operate for things like accelerators and beam sources. Brookhaven is kind of in the middle of nowhere on the far tip of Long Island. You have to travel a few hours by train and then an hour by taxi to get there from the airport. As I travel to the lab, there's a pizza place at Ronkonkoma station that I liked to visit. Now this pizza place only accepts cash, so I withdrew something like $40 to get some pizza. (This is important later). This pizza was good.

When I arrived at the lab, everything was still operational so actually getting to the lab was no problem at all. There wasn't a lot of people on campus, both because this wasn't a big time for research in general and because of the incoming storm, but still enough so I could get in. I arrived and got settled into my dorm and all that (these labs are basically big University campuses). The laboratory post-doc I was working with would usually greet me but he was actually not there this time because he was at a conference elsewhere. This would normally be no big deal - I had his number and I knew what I was doing already so in normal circumstance I could have gotten started without him. He was going to arrive later in the week. His absence had nothing to do with the storm, just coincidence.

Once I settled in, I knew the storm was going to hit but there wasn't much I could do. I had no car, my post-doc contact was absent, and the lab "shut down" for precaution. That means, yes, even the lab cafeteria was closed, which is kind of the only place for food nearby. I waited in my dorm and, as far as I know, I was the only one in the building. The lab wasn't in direct path of the storm or anything, but it was definitely very windy and rainy and stormy. The first day I just kind of held up in my room all day. I ended up playing Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection on PSP because I didn't have much else to do. I still had internet access, but it wasn't great so watching youtube or streams or whatnot wasn't really going to work. (even though it was only 2012, streams were not nearly as huge as they are now)

As I said earlier, the cafeteria was closed. The usual places weren't delivering to the lab thanks to the storm, and taxis were out of the picture too. The main office was closed, basically everything was closed. So, my only source of food was the vending machine in the dorm. Luckily I had plenty of cash on me thanks to the money I withdrew earlier so I could actually use the machine. I probably had like a dozen bags of those TGI Fridays potato chips and lots of powerade.

Later that night, my contact called me and was worried about the equipment in the lab we worked in. It's a basement lab, so he was worried about things like water or flooding damaging the vacuums and such. These apparatuses are hugely expensive and costly to maintain, so I certainly understood where he was coming from. He wanted me to walk over to the lab building and check a few these and put some precautions in place (like closing certain valves, etc). The problem was, this is about a mile walk from the dorm --these campuses are pretty big. So here I am in the dead of night walking in the dark with no umbrella and literal "hurricane force" winds and rain using my phone flashlight to walk over to the synchrotron lab a mile away. Luckily I had been there several times before so I had access to the building.

Once inside, I call up my contact on the phone (cell reception is usually terrible here and of course it was worse today) asking him want exactly he wanted me to do. He proceeded to tell me to find the "green valve" near some vacuum pumps and to close it. Here's the problem - there are a TON of valves and a ton of vacuum pumps so I wasn't sure which he was referring to off the bat. Not only that, the main lights were out. While there were some emergency lights, I still had to rely on my phone flashlight to get around. These labs are cluttered and clunky (it looks something like this) so I'm trying not to knock anything, break anything, hit my head, or hurt myself. With the phone flashlight as my main light source, it was hard to see which valve was the "green" valve (green and black look pretty similar in low light!). I'm also hungry and wet and tired and I remember kinda losing it a bit yelling 'I CANT TELL WHICH VALVE IS GREEN' over the phone.

Well, eventually, we got everything checked out and secured and I didn't kill myself, so I walked a mile back the other way in the wind and rain back to my dorm, ate more TGI Friday chips, and played more Final Fantasy IV. I then learned that the lab was going to remain closed for a second day, so I had 24 more hours to sit it out with little to eat and nothing to do. During those two days I didn't see any cars in the lots or people in the dorm, so I think I might have been the only one there. I'm not sure.

When the lab opened up two days later, I stopped by the cafeteria and stockpiled my platter with a silly amount of food. I was starving and got like 3 different entrees and the cashier probably thought I was nuts. I don't think I've ever been so eager to eat a meal in my life.

Anyway, some of this could have been prevented, probably, but everything turned out fine and I got a weird nifty life story out of it. I 100%ed Final Fantasy IV and its sequels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom