• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 Grossing Retail Games of 2014, Ubisoft notes half were open world

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ubisoftretailyjqib.png

Source: https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/comsit...ft fy15 slides conf call finaltcm99202524.pdf

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Two Fifa games. My god. And fifa 15 is a bug fest. wtf this is crazy. I am shocked.

Man just how much money EA makes from yearly fifa games.

FluxWaveZ

1. FPS
2. Sport
3. Open World
4. FPS/RPG
5. Open World
6. Open World
7. FPS/Open World
8. Fighting/Party
9. Sport
10. Sport

I'm ok with more open world games. For every Watch Dogs and Unity there is a Sleeping Dogs, Just Cause and GTA. More importantly, good open world games are no longer GTA clones and they allow for greater variety than linear shooters.

Ridley327

I keep hearing Call of Duty is losing steam every year and yet...

It has been, but that should illustrate that even with the loss of momentum just how far ahead it's been versus everything else. Black Ops 3 will be interesting to see, since it's coming off the heels of a generally well received game, and the perception of Treyarch being the A-team these days carries a lot of weight.

Putting both AC games together is dumb because they are completely different games. This isnt pokemon. Speaking of that wheres pokemon? Is this just home consoles and not handhelds? If so, I doubt the Wii U version of smash outsold Madden by itself.

barit

What is this stupid obsession with Open World from Ubisoft? 2014 wasn't really the year with big hits. I mean Watch_Dogs got released in that year. Watch_Dogs. And two Fifa games in the Top10 should tell you enough lol

Orayn

What is this stupid obsession with Open World from Ubisoft? 2014 wasn't really the year with big hits. I mean Watch_Dogs got released in that year. Watch_Dogs. And two Fifa games in the Top10 should tell you enough lol

Ubisoft likes open world games because they make a lot of money creating and selling them.

Magnus

Putting Unity and Rogue in as one game is some Microsoft-level marketing twist.

This kind of deck is often put together by people with less than a full picture of the industry; it's very likely their proximate release made the author of the deck think they were the same game titled differently for each gen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well I guess we could turn the clock back a year and look at 35 million copies from GTA V or go back further to 20 million from Skyrim...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This kind of deck is often put together by people with less than a full picture of the industry; it's very likely their proximate release made the author of the deck think they were the same game titled differently for each gen.

While that's true, in this case, it's actually because it's Ubisoft's fiscal report and they want to make themselves look good.

It has been, but that should illustrate that even with the loss of momentum just how far ahead it's been versus everything else. Black Ops 3 will be interesting to see, since it's coming off the heels of a generally well received game, and the perception of Treyarch being the A-team these days carries a lot of weight.

Good point. I forget how far ahead it is at times. Black Ops 3 will probably sell even more than AW, since AW was Sledgehammer's first. I am worried about IW game in 2016 though. After Ghosts people might be a little apprehensive.

Smash beat Madden? What?

It's counting the WiiU and 3DS versions.

Top Bottom