• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 Worst E3 trends from 1997 Computer Gaming World

Kosma

Banned
I hope its ok to post scans from now defunct magazines? If not excuse me. This is from Computer Gaming World.

Its funny how things never change it seems.

https://www.facebook.com/videogamesbored

xrar6Ja.jpg

Article about Microtransactions/DLC from the same issue

U41MzW3.jpg

And comfy couch PC gaming

DdlQrdN.jpg

Kosma

Banned
I especially like them whining about the onslaught of RTS games, every generation has its genre it seems :)

mavs

We got most of the best RTS games ever made over the next six years after they wrote that article.

To be fair, CGW focused mostly on PC gaming, not consoles, so there was definitely a glut of RTS that time, due mainly to Command & Conquer and WarCraft. Consoles that time were already pretty much diverse, although predominant were still action-platformers and fighters, if I remember right.

It's funny because StarCraft released immediately after that year lol.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It really isn't too far off today from what we see over 16 years later. Obviously a few things are slightly different (FPS overload to RTS overload, 75 MB installs in retrospective is kind of lulzy), but honestly a lot of the trends haven't changed much, for better or worse.

I agree that many female characters still being bimbos, but I also would argue there's been progression in that area at least. However, I also had a small chuckle about the comment of what girl would want to play Tomb Raider. Mainly because while I haven't actually played the series outside of the newest reboot and Guardian of Light, most people I know who love the franchise are female.

I find the Asteroids comment about it being half-assed online particularly amusing to myself.

It really isn't too far off today from what we see over 16 years later. Obviously a few things are slightly different (FPS overload to RTS overload, 75 MB installs in retrospective is kind of lulzy), but honestly a lot of the trends haven't changed much, for better or worse.

RTS games with first person shooters and 75mg installs with 40 gig installs.

Nothing changes. It's amazing.

Also: Shout-outs to Johnny Wilson for microtransactions.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

GoaThief

Good stuff, hopefully this will encourage some to be more positive as we do have it pretty damn good at the moment.

Daffy Duck

75-100mb huge installs, lol.

If those writers fast forwarded in time to see Titanfall they would shit themselves.

I'd fucking cut off my left testicle right now, take out a credit card and finally buy a GPU if I found out 50 new RTS games were being made tomorrow.

75mb installs.

Holy fuck, those were the days!

EDIT:

Fucking holy shit at #5.

Are they listening to us now? Are they watching us?

HariKari

Seriously, what has happened to RTS games?

Lack of innovation compared to other genres. RTS games fit with the graphics of the era pretty well. But it's strange EA can't even manage to bring their C&C project to life and Blizzard doesn't seem too eager to do Warcraft 4 anytime soon. It's like the genre is stuck in a time warp, with only the Toal War games really trying anything new.

Fangrim

I remember reading that magazine on the train!

It's kinda scary that so many things mentioned in that article, are still valid today. Those who aren't, needs only one word substituted (Someone mentioned RTS to FPS for example).

I do think we had good times back then - and we'll have plenty of good times ahead!

Steroyd

Lmao.

The only 2 things you need to change is the 75MB installs to GB and RTS for FPS and that article is applicable today absolutely shocking, the more things change the more they stay the same.

plainr_

Gamers of the future will be laughing at our 40GB installs too but for now let me laugh my ass off at 75 mega-fucking-byte installations. Amazing.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
at the time I had a 246 mhz with 64mb ram and either a 4 or 8gb harddrive I remember even the first 50mb half life patch was a big deal back then

cacildo

We complained back in the day... and now we look back and think we had some great games back then.

If in the future we miss the games of today... brrrrrr than the future is terrible!!!!

Jawmuncher

Comfy couch pc gaming my ass.
Whatever fake game is in on that page instantly makes it horrifying couch gaming.

Top Bottom