• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 16 Fighting Games of This Generation You NEED To Play

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It's been a crazy generation for fighting games, especially towards the end. We've seen classic franchises revived, brand new titles enter the ring and long-awaited sequels to some of the bigger blockbusters. Opinions may differ on which is your favorite but let's get into the 16 best fighting games of this generation, starting with...

pixelation

Which is the one with no DLC or microtransactions?, that one... (I bought SFV and Tekken 7, played them for a bit and deleted them because they aren't complete games, you gotta keep buying more and more stuff).

kunonabi

Dragonball FighterZ(as of season 3)
The King of Fighters XIV
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2
Samurai Shodown
Fighting EX Layer
Soul Calibur 6
Blazblue Central Fiction
Tekken 7
Killer Instinct
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid

I really wouldnt do a list with more than that since everything else has major issues.

Hostile_18

Banned
Dragonball FighterZ(as of season 3)
The King of Fighters XIV
Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2
Samurai Shodown
Fighting EX Layer
Soul Calibur 6
Blazblue Central Fiction
Tekken 7
Killer Instinct
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid

I really wouldnt do a list with more than that since everything else has major issues.

What's wrong with Mortal Kombat 11 or Injustice 2?

Injustice 2 was defo my favorite fighting game this gen.

kunonabi

What's wrong with Mortal Kombat 11 or Injustice 2?

Injustice 2 was defo my favorite fighting game this gen.

I just can't stand it since I find the whole superheroes gone bad angle. First game was pretty busted and I thought 2 was as well. I didn't keep up with it that closely so maybe that all got ironed out. I still just don't like the actual presentation much at all though.

MK11 had balance issues up until the last patch or so, and I found the single player grind insufferable. I'm also not a fan of much of the character designs or the story. The core game is mostly fine now but everything else surrounding it is eh. That said, it was pretty much between KI, Power Rangers, and MK11 for those last two spots. It's more a matter of preference that I left it out so it making a top 10 is totally reasonable.

Bryank75

Banned
Tekken is in the right place but the rest of the list is shit. IMO

I'd prefer Max Dood make a list.

Last edited:

Fake

Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2 is the real gem of this generation. Art design plus a locked 60 fps is a 'must have' game.

teezzy

Banned
Which is the one with no DLC or microtransactions?, that one... (I bought SFV and Tekken 7, played them for a bit and deleted them because they aren't complete games, you gotta keep buying more and more stuff).

Tekken was complete enough on release. Everything else has just been gravy.

Top Bottom