• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 20 games purchased on Wii U eShop

speedline

Banned
I don't understand buying full retail game at full price through DD. At least the disc version will have some resale value down the road when you get tired of it. That's just me though.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Chasing Aurora might need more publicity.

I don't understand buying full retail game at full price through DD. At least the disc version will have some resale value down the road when you get tired of it. That's just me though.

I rarely resell so that's not the bother for me on DD. It's Nintendo's awful account system that I refuse to put up with.

Instro

I've been considering Nano Assault. I might pull the trigger; people seem to like it and the 3DS version too well enough.

Its nice for some pick up and play shooter action. Fun, fast paced(from what I have seen thus far), cool game at a pretty decent price. As far as eshop games go I think its the best available right now, except for Trine 2. Although, I imagine for most the latter would be a PC title.

Chasing Aurora might need more publicity.

Yeah I still don't know anything about the game, lack of trailers leading up to the launch seems to have hurt it.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I wouldn't put too much weight behind these charts. I mean, Darksiders II might be above Ninja Gaiden 3, but Ninja Gaiden's Miiverse community is a couple thousand members larger.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the Miiverse number is just the number of people participating in discussion, they don't have to necessarily own the game. At least that is my theory.

Instro

Well there is the Deluxe discount, but yeah I couldn't be bothered paying full price on eshop. Hopefully the prices will lower to match retail as the retail prices decrease, then it would be more worth it.

On that note, Tekken was supposed to be cheaper on the eshop in Japan, dunno if there's anything like that in other territories right now.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the Miiverse number is just the number of people participating in discussion, they don't have to necessarily own the game. At least that is my theory.

That's true, but I think it's a better measurement of how well a game is doing than this list. At least the Miiverse communities have a number on them. I think the fact that NG3 has 4,041 members and DSII has 1,669 says a lot more than seeing DSII at 11 and NG3 at 12.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
That's true, but I think it's a better measurement of how well a game is doing than this list. At least the Miiverse communities have a number on them. I think the fact that NG3 has 4,041 members and DSII has 1,669 says a lot more than seeing DSII at 11 and NG3 at 12.

It could potentially mean that the Darksider 2 community is just less vocal. I mean you have to factor in that there are people playing the game that may not post to miiverse. A lot of the times I will see people write "Is this game good?" and possibly more people are interested in Ninja Gaiden than Darksiders. Just a guess though.

Thoraxes

MSF HD also $10?

I have a couple Target giftcards so I may as well go pick up a $20 eShop card or something.

I'd get Nano and that probably.

It could potentially mean that the Darksider 2 community is just less vocal. I mean you have to factor in that there are people playing the game that may not post to miiverse. A lot of the times I will see people write "Is this game good?" and possibly more people are interested in Ninja Gaiden than Darksiders. Just a guess though.

I guess it could also be that DSII doesn't have screenshots enabled. People will just post a nice Ayane or Momiji screenshot for the hell of it in the NG3 community. Probably for easy yeahs too.

EDarkness

I guess it could also be that DSII doesn't have screenshots enabled. People will just post a nice Ayane or Momiji screenshot for the hell of it in the NG3 community. Probably for easy yeahs too.

I think some people just like to talk about certain games. I enjoy reading the ZombiU community even though I don't have the game. Lots of good pics and funny comments. The Darksiders 2 community is largely silent, but I have it marked as a favorite and help people there when I can. Screenshot aren't working, either. Which is a bummer.

mclem

10. Nintendo Land

This makes me sad that so many people are buying this - people buying this game either bought the Wii U Basic set and then purchased the game anyways, losing out on the extra stuff you get with Deluxe set basically for free, or they are getting a Deluxe and then buying a second copy of the game so they don't have to swap discs to play it.

It's not included in the ZombiU deluxe pack, is it?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Is Trine 2 a good port? I'm really interested in it.

I typically don't resell too many first-party games. And if I feel that a game is worth full price, I dunno why I wouldn't be willing pay the same for it regardless of what format it's in.

elektrixx

Banned
10. Nintendo Land

This makes me sad that so many people are buying this - people buying this game either bought the Wii U Basic set and then purchased the game anyways, losing out on the extra stuff you get with Deluxe set basically for free, or they are getting a Deluxe and then buying a second copy of the game so they don't have to swap discs to play it.
That's me. I'll put the disc in once to make sure my drive works, but that's it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ok, who else thinks we should petition nintendo to release the Japanese garden tech demo as a free download on the eShop? I'm a sucker for soothing ambient demos, I must have spent hours in Flower just contemplating the stages attract mode.

klier

10. Nintendo Land

Heh, that would be over the top lazy!

I got my Wii U yesterday, a day before the EU launch. I'm extremely happy and am going to buy an e-shop card today to buy some digital only games like Nano Assault and Trine

Ein Bear

I'd be interested to hear Activision/EA's reasoning for not putting their games up on the eShop. Even if they don't think they'd sell particularly well, that's still free money they're leaving on the table.

wrowa

It would be important to know whether these sales are ranked by the number of copies sold or by the generated revenue.

JoelFB

Vice President, Frozenbyte
We are happy to see Trine 2: Director's Cut up there. :) The sales have been good and we're loving the user comments. :)

I really want to grab Trine 2 on the eShop because I adored the first game but I just can't get myself to jump at the $20 price point. I know it sounds silly but I have so many other games to play right now that even a $5 price cut would have made me grab it instantly. Ugh.
I agree. We originally wanted to do a -20% discount in North America too - just like we are doing in Europe right now - but it wasn't possible just yet.

We're thinking of doing the -20% for the Holidays though... nothing certain yet but we think it makes sense, although I'm not sure if there's enough time since the launch to not anger anybody... Maybe we'll time it with the update that we plan to bring in mid-to-late December (featuring Voice Chat, Wii U Pro Controller support, minor fixes, new languages like BR-PT, and additional vividness to the graphics so it will look even more awesome). We also plan to bring the demo in December.

Let's see how it goes... Looks like everybody's happy with the game so we have good reason to be too. :)

- Joel, Frozenbyte team

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This is something Nintendo probably shouldn't have given third parties freedom over. I expect all PS4/720 games to be on PSN/XBLA as well as having their retail versions.

Get ready for disappointment.

JoelFB

Vice President, Frozenbyte
Would have double dipped on Trine if it was cheaper. It was $15 when it launched on PSN, wasn't it? :/
Yep, and still is, and 1200 MSP on XBLA. On Wii U we include the new Goblin Menace expansion (worth $7.99 on Steam) and the Wii U exclusive level Dwarven Caverns, so the $19.99 is not bad value in that sense ($14.99 + $7.99 on Steam +x for the exclusive). Of course there have been and will be more sales and discounts in the Holiday season, so that's going to make the price difference a little bigger - which we are trying to compensate with the -20% launch discount in Europe and possibly in North America later in December...

This is something Nintendo probably shouldn't have given third parties freedom over. I expect all PS4/720 games to be on PSN/XBLA as well as having their retail versions.

Nintendo isn't the publisher. What do you expect them to force pubs to make games available in every shop Nintendo has dealings with as well?
None of Nintendo's business.

------------------------

Chasing Aurora looks kind of poor, it looked great but the gameplay was never that compelling. Hope they can expand on that art style in the future.
Good for Trine/Nano though!

We are happy to see Trine 2: Director's Cut up there. :) The sales have been good and we're loving the user comments. :)

I agree. We originally wanted to do a -20% discount in North America too - just like we are doing in Europe right now - but it wasn't possible just yet.

We're thinking of doing the -20% for the Holidays though... nothing certain yet but we think it makes sense, although I'm not sure if there's enough time since the launch to not anger anybody... Maybe we'll time it with the update that we plan to bring in mid-to-late December (featuring Voice Chat, Wii U Pro Controller support, minor fixes, new languages like BR-PT, and additional vividness to the graphics so it will look even more awesome). We also plan to bring the demo in December.

Let's see how it goes... Looks like everybody's happy with the game so we have good reason to be too. :)

- Joel, Frozenbyte team

Its great to here from the team here. Its really awesome that you guys are adding all that functionality through a patch. It always amazing how much work these smaller games get despite the smaller teams.

I would personally be interested in a sale for this game and I'm sure a lot of others would too. I haven't heard of any sales yet for the NA Wii U eShop. Do you know what Nintendo's strategy is for this? (Either inferred or what they've directly stated to your team.)

Captain N

eShop said:
  1. New Super Mario Bros U
  2. ZombiU
  3. Trine 2: Director's Cut
  4. Nano Assault Neo
  5. Sonic & All-Sars Racing Transformed
  6. Scribblenauts Unlimited
  7. Assassin's Creed III
  8. Little Inferno
  9. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition
  10. Darksiders II
  11. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
  12. Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
  13. Chasing Aurora
  14. Just Dance 4
  15. Sing Party

My Digital Titles so far.

Tekken is too far down, cmon guys! Meatiest fighter of this decade!
It's worth mentioning Tekken was added several days after launch, so everything else on the chart had more time to sell. Same for NBA 2K13, which didn't even make top 20.

Less freedom isn't Steam-like. :3

Heh Sonic always sells well on Nintendo stuff. Nice list
I wouldn't be surprised if ASR2 ends up selling best on Wii U overall. It really was a smart launch title for Sega: Sonic's already huge with Nintendo fans, ASR2's on the short list of NOT-inferior ports and it's the only racer at launch so it's cornering the genre for consumers. EA really blew it by holding back NFSMW for Q1.

Pociask

- Joel, Frozenbyte team

Glad to hear of the success! Blink twice if you can't release your sales figures on the eShop.

Murrah

Banned
Haven't bought anything digital myself yet, but I'll for sure be getting Trine 2 in the near future once I have time to actually play through it. And I'd totally have gotten digital version of Sonic since it's sold out at a lot of places around here, but not with Nintendo's server time and whatnot

Interesting that Rabbid land performing so badly. It was Ubisoft's most popular franchise on Wii.. could be indicative that more casual Wii owners aren't upgrading. Will be interesting to see if the retail charts compare.

Top Bottom