• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 5 best sci-fi music in gaming

Happy If You Say So GIF
Came here expecting Mass Effect. Was in OP. Good job OP.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I want to focus on two synth atmospheric moments that really brought me to another world.

1) Finding the hidden warpholes to the Omicron reaches in the spacesim Freelancer

2) Finding your lost civilization's sister faction in Homeworld, that went mad trying to hide in a giant nebula for thousands of years.

Type_Raver

Current fav one of the all time greats in my opinion:

Astral Chain - fav track being Astral Plane

F-Zero X - Fav track being Dreamchaser

F-Zero GX - Fav being Cosmo Terminal

Metroid Prime Pinball - Fav being Phendrana Drifts

Based on previews and trailers, number 5 might be Shin Megami Tensai V once its out!

Last edited:

Kuranghi

other themes that i like are already posted so i only missed this one :)

Thats a cracking one I've not heard before, cheers pal.

I think Unreal Tournament '99 score is the best/my overall favourite, but its the "check what year all your favourite things are from and you'll see its when you were 12-15 years old" effect. The Talos Principle is main menu theme is amazing though also, I'm a big chanting fan though.

Someone posted a Brigador track but the whole soundtrack is totally awesome as well, its brilliant reading the lore while listening to it:

Most of it is epic and interesting lore but also some really silly shit as well, like this:

Niegenaamd

Neo Member
Another great Halo piece:
Sacred Icon Suite 2:

This Skrillex song in the game "syndicate"
has a kind of cyberpunk feel to it:

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Most of the great examples that I could think of were already posted but there is some stuff that I could easily recommend and I found myself listening to it outside of the game regularly.

Like this one, it's an amazing soundtrack:

And this one that always gives me 2001: A Space Odyssey vibes:

Really the entire NORCO soundtrack, but this in particular made me want to just sit and listen to the music and not move on to the next scene:

I see the Mass Effect tracks mentioned in here already and I raise you "An End Once and For All" from Mass Effect 3. It instantly became one of my favorite tracks from the entire series. The opening piano just instills a bit of a hopeless feeling, then the music begins to swell here and there, giving some signs of hope. By the end, you have the drums added as well and it feels like this big triumphant blast.

I also have a great fondness for "Arrival" by Neil Davidge from the Halo 4 soundtrack. It's the song that plays in the area just prior to fighting the final boss. God knows that when I was playing through the game at release on solo Legendary that I heard the song enough times.

I think Halo 4's OST gets to much shit. It's a good OST. unpopular opinion, outside of the issues with Multiplayer, Halo 4 is 343's best Halo.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
Cant believe I scrolled through the entire thread and No one mentioned this classic.
This is what played in game.

This is what I heard.

I promise when that song came on you were going to lose lmmfao.
Depending on how into it I was the song would mutate.... into.

Then there is this

Would just sit and listen to the damn menu music on PS4 for hours.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
THE GOAT

This song also meant you would lose.
You can taste the Metroid in this one.

Guitarist was waiting his entire life for that Mute city solo at the end made the entire thing worth the watch.

Top Bottom