• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 5 sci-fi films, prove me wrong!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
A.I. is alright but doesn't belong anywhere near the top 5. I, Robot is mediocre as fuck.

The top 5 is probably some completely unrankable mix of 2001, Alien, Blade Runner, T2 and The Matrix.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Alien
Aliens
Blade Runner
Blade Runner 2049
Gattaca
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Akira
Terminator
Terminator 2
The Matrix
The Abyss
Minority Report
Inception
Interstellar
Robocop
Total Recall
Starship Troopers
Strange Days
Edge of Tomorrow
The Thing
12 Monkeys
They Live
Ex Machina
Annihilation

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Alien
Aliens
Blade Runner
Blade Runner 2049
Gattaca
Akira
Terminator
Terminator 2
The Matrix
The Abyss
Minority Report
Inception
Interstellar
Robocop
Total Recall
Starship Troopers
Strange Days
Edge of Tomorrow
The Thing
12 Monkeys
They Live
Ex Machina
Annihilation

While we're at it

Predator
The Fly
Children of Men
Inception
Interstellar
Moon
Star Wars / Empire
Back to the Future
Metropolis
Planet of the Apes

Special shout out to Event Horizon for being "the movie that could have been"

While we're at it

Predator
The Fly
Children of Men
Inception
Interstellar
Moon
Star Wars / Empire
Back to the Future
Metropolis
Planet of the Apes

Planet of the apes was fantastic and funny as fuck

3. I robot,
giphy.gif

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Sunshine's screenplay was by Alex Garland, who eventually bounced from his regular Danny Boyle team-up (28 Days Later, The Beach, Sunshine) to write+direct Ex Machina and Annihilation himself. He really came into his own once he took the director's helm on his stories. And yeah, I enjoyed Sunshine a bunch until the third act, but it's still a good flick.

sol_bad

I'd put Matrix, Minority Report and Ex Machina near the top. Those 3 films are all pretty incredible both in their story telling, world building and/or visuals.
Never seen Cyborg or Babylon AD. I've heard Babylon AD was tampered with and ripped apart by the studio that released it, made me not want to watch it.

June

Respect for also mentioning Children of Men. One of the greatest movies of the 21st century and criminally overlooked considering how much praise Alfonso Cuarón got for Gravity and Roma.

I'm not sure how overlooked it is, but at least it's not underrated. It has been deservedly very well received.

I still hold Y tu Mamá También to be Cuarón's true masterpeice, though.

AV

I'm not sure how overlooked it is, but at least it's not underrated. It has been deservedly very well received.

Just doesn't come up nearly as often as it should in discussions where it's relevant. Also didn't even make its budget back at the box office.

quickwhips

While we're at it

Predator
The Fly
Children of Men
Inception
Interstellar
Moon
Star Wars / Empire
Back to the Future
Metropolis
Planet of the Apes

No event horizon?

AV

No event horizon?

It got the footnote because it's a movie that was absolutely butchered and bastardize by test audiences that could have been something so much greater than what we ended up with.

crowbrow

Banned
2001: A Space Odyssey
Alien
Altered States
Arrival
Children of Men
Contact
Ghost in the Shell
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War
Lucy
Mission to Mars
Predator
Prometheus
Starship Troopers
The Fountain
The Man from Earth
The Thing
Vanilla Sky
This is my favorite list here for adding Contact, The Fountain and Children of Men. I would also add Tarkovsky's masterpieces Stalker and Solaris. Maybe also a favorite of mine as I was a child Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

And for the lols the Xtro movies 😄

June

This is my favorite list here for adding Contact, The Fountain and Children of Men. I would also add Tarkovsky's masterpieces Stalker and Solaris. Maybe also a favorite of mine as I was a child Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

And for the lols the Xtro movies 😄

I'm not the biggest fan of Solaris. Watched it twice now but my opinion hasn't changed much. The atmosphere and visuals are fantastic, as is predictable for a Tarkovsky picture, but the human drama aspect and constant philosophising I found to be a bit dry in this film. I've been meaning to watch the remake for a while now.

I will give Stalker a rewatch though (y)This time in glorious HD.

Close Encounters is just bad IMO. Spielberg sentimentalism at some of it's worst.

Last edited:

MadAnon

Can people explain me what they see in Blade Runner? I've seen majority of films listed here and Blade Runner is close to the top of the most unwatchable. And no, I don't need fast paced action and explosions. 2049 is good and I enjoyed it but the old one was a chore to watch. Never gonna rewatch it.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I have this theory that sci-fi doesn't lend as well to cinema as it does anime, videogames and books. With those you can create a totally new world and aren't as reliant on existing elements of reality. The only sci-fi films that really work for me are the ones based in the 'near future', or movies that have sci-fi elements in them but aren't completely consumed by futuristic worlds (e.g. noir films that just happen to be set 50 years into the future or whatever).

Regardless, here's some movies nobody has mentioned:

Upstream Colour
Alphaville
Fahrenheit 451
La Jetee

Last edited:

June

Can people explain me what they see in Blade Runner? I've seen majority of films listed here and Blade Runner is close to the top of the most unwatchable. And no, I don't need fast paced action and explosions. 2049 was good and I enjoyed it but the old one was a chore to watch. Never gonna rewatch it.

I think a lot of it has to do with the time period it was released in. For a sci-fi film to look like that back in the 80s, with the dense cities and visual world building whatnot, must have been awe inspiring. Plus it has killer score to boot.

I absolutely agree with you though, the film feels emotionally dry and the direction has a detached feeling also. I think it's incredibly overrated as a film.

V2Tommy

Can people explain me what they see in Blade Runner? I've seen majority of films listed here and Blade Runner is close to the top of the most unwatchable. And no, I don't need fast paced action and explosions. 2049 is good and I enjoyed it but the old one was a chore to watch. Never gonna rewatch it.

Between the visuals and haunting Vangelis score, there hasn't been a film like it before or since. It's a slow-burn detective story set in the most interesting version of the future presented at the time of release.

A.I. is alright but doesn't belong anywhere near the top 5. I, Robot is mediocre as fuck.

The top 5 is probably some completely unrankable mix of 2001, Alien, Blade Runner, T2 and The Matrix.
We can argue about I robot but AI I'd a masterpiece most people don't acknowledge for one it's not famous and second its not too violent it's more an emotional film!

dan76

Blade Runner
Alien
Star Wars
Solaris (Tarkovsky)
Honerable mention goes to ... Tron.

Spielburgs A.I is God awaful. Mawkish sentimental claptrap - everything Kubrick is not. Also, how anyone can dislike Blade Runner and like science fiction is beyond me.

Gargus

Banned
1. Terminator 2,
2. A.i by Steven Spielberg,
3. I robot,
4. Cyborg, Jean Claude Van damme!
5. Babylon A.D.

Well since its opinion based I cant prove you wrong.

All I can say is 2, 3 and 5 arent that good and probably belong in the 40s of a 100 list. And terminator 1 is better than 2, and cyborg is a good action movie but for scifi it probablly belongs in the 60s.

Birdo

Banned
Alien
Aliens
Blade Runner
Blade Runner 2049
Gattaca
Akira
Terminator
Terminator 2
The Matrix
The Abyss
Minority Report
Inception
Interstellar
Robocop
Total Recall
Starship Troopers
Strange Days
Edge of Tomorrow
The Thing
12 Monkeys
They Live
Ex Machina
Annihilation

This is more like it :messenger_ok: (Although missing Star Wars)

Even has the Verhoeven three.

Last edited:

plushyp

How about Primer (2004) ? Although I'd say it was more a film about friendship with science fiction elements. I think I'll give it a rewatch again.

Some others that haven't been mentioned: The Signal (2014) , Dark City (1998), Time Lapse (2014)

T8SC

Your list does not include "Aliens", therefore, it is inaccurate. Of your choices, only Terminator 2 belongs on the list.

But opinions are opinions.

1: Aliens
2: The Empire Strikes Back
3: Terminator 2
4: Predator
5: Starship Troopers / Event Horizon

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
No particular order:

-Alien
-Blade Runner
-T2
-Contact

Replace T2 with The Matrix and I agree. Love T2 but it doesn't delve too deep into sci-fi themes. Only surface level. The other films on your list are more thought provoking, which the Matrix fits in with.

Solaris (Tarkovsky)

This is a very frustrating film to watch. I always start falling asleep.

MacReady13

The Terminator (original).
John Carpenter's The Thing.
Blade Runner.
The Matrix.
The Day The Earth Stood Still (original).
Forbidden Planet.

I believe they all should be in anyone's top 10 sci/fi films somewhere...

Last edited:

V2Tommy

Replace T2 with The Matrix and I agree. Love T2 but it doesn't delve too deep into sci-fi themes. Only surface level. The other films on your list are more thought provoking, which the Matrix fits in with.

But it's also silly and "fun", which is the opposite of what I personally find to be a good film. If a kid could enjoy it, I probably hate it. A serious reboot of The Matrix would be a masterpiece.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member

You appear to have watched the "wrong" version, try one of the other six until you find the one you like.

Nymphae

Banned
Back to the Future deserves a nod I think. Accessible time travel/sci fi trilogy that everyone can enjoy without feeling like a nerd.

Top Bottom