• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Education Systems in the World Ranked by Pearson / The Economist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I'm surprised the US made the list, considering the bad things I've heard about the education system over there.:p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lol @ South Korea and Japan.

Yeah, great education systems there. A complete focus on rote memorization and a progression system where your life is fucking over if you mess up on a single test.

Lunchbox

Banned
People in the US are too busy surfing in our beaches and partying to have time for this crap

i mean what can you do in finland? make snowmen and read?

charsace

I'm surprised the US isn't lower. There are people who want to keep the general population here as dumb as possible in regards to book smarts.

Ex - Eastern Block have really tough education, especially regarding natural science. My cousin went to US to complete the last grade of high school. She learnt stuff from mathematics and chemistry that we do in elementary school.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I see psychological well being of the students has nothing to do with these results. Such bullshit.

Lamel

Banned
Ex - Eastern Block have really tough education, especially regarding natural science. My cousin went to US to complete the last grade of high school. She learnt stuff from mathematics and chemistry that we do in elementary school.
You guys do Calculus in elementary school?

USA: 17
Findland: 1

Ha! Take that Findland! We scored higher!

USA! USA! USA!

AXQKU.png

Finland's smaller than that red state. USA all the way!!111

thomaser

surprised to not see norway and sweden up there with finland. usually the nordic countries hang out together on top of lists.

Lots of old schools that badly need renovation or expansion here, and there are too many kids in each class. Local politicians use the money needed in the schools for other things instead. And teaching is a fairly low status occupation, so there's always a shortage of younger teachers. The first 12 years are mostly used for goofing off - few take it seriously. Also, there are very few universities, and the colleges have a limited selection of courses in my opinion. Where I live, the courses my nearest colleges provide are mostly related to nursing, computers, business or maritime fields.

tokkun

The other day I was talking to a Korean friend of mine who had just gotten back from working at Samsung in Seoul. He was complaining about how the people working there who had gotten PhDs in South Korea were not as good as the typical PhDs in the US. His complaint was that the S.K.-educated students would work really long hours on tasks you gave them, but lacked the imagination and ability to synthesize and create new ideas and develop novel research.

This is a sentiment I've actually heard expressed on many different occasions from PhD students from South and East Asia. When I ask them to compare their education in the US to that of their home country, they tell me that they feel like their classmates who were educated in the US are a lot more creative and that their own education focused on drills that were good for memorization, but that there was little emphasis on fostering creativity.

One of the weaknesses of large-scale standardized tests is that it is very easy to write and grade questions that probe lower-level cognitive skills like memorization, understanding, and application and very difficult to write and grade questions that probe higher-level skills like judgment and synthesis. This makes me wary of primarily using standardized test scores to make such broad statements as one educational system is flat-out "better" than another. I do think the information we get from such tests is valuable, but that it is important to limit the scope of the conclusions we draw from them to what they are actually testing. In this case, I would say that there are probably more components to what we would consider a good educational system than just things like basic math and reading skills and college enrollment levels. Probably we want to look more towards the scientific, technological, and cultural achievements being produced by the people who went through that educational system.

Math education is uneven as hell and saying "last year of high school" doesn't tell us anything about the content. What class was it?

Darkkn

I never really liked going to school until later years, but i had very good experiences from Finnish school system overall. Mostly good teachers with good/modern teaching methods and pretty up to date curriculum.

I come from single parent, low income family so i would've been very likely screwed if i were born in a country like US. Money was never any kind of issue in terms of school, everything was available for me just as it was for everyone else. At the time i took free schools, getting paid(by government) to go to school and the quality of teaching for granted. In retrospect, i feel very fortunate to be able to go to school in this country.

Math education is uneven as hell and saying "last year of high school" doesn't tell us anything about the content. What class was it?

No idea, she just said that anything related to mathematics/chemistry was laughably easy. Another friend, who barely got Ds in mathematics in high school back here scored As in mathematics when he went to US.

Piggus

I'm surprised the US made the list, considering the bad things I've heard about the education system over there.:p

It's not THAT bad. And it also depends on where you are in the US. My old high school is in the top 2% in the country. Higher education is where the US shines.

No idea, she just said that anything related to mathematics/chemistry was laughably easy. Another friend, who barely got Ds in mathematics in high school back here scored As in mathematics when he went to US.

Depends on the math class. I highly doubt someone getting Ds in one of these higher ranked countries could come here and breeze through something like AP Calculus.

Hari Seldon

The other day I was talking to a Korean friend of mine who had just gotten back from working at Samsung in Seoul. He was complaining about how the people working there who had gotten PhDs in South Korea were not as good as the typical PhDs in the US. His complaint was that the S.K.-educated students would work really long hours on tasks you gave them, but lacked the imagination and ability to synthesize and create new ideas and develop novel research.

This is a sentiment I've actually heard expressed on many different occasions from PhD students from South and East Asia. When I ask them to compare their education in the US to that of their home country, they tell me that they feel like their classmates who were educated in the US are a lot more creative and that their own education focused on drills that were good for memorization, but that there was little emphasis on fostering creativity.

One of the weaknesses of large-scale standardized tests is that it is very easy to write and grade questions that probe lower-level cognitive skills like memorization, understanding, and application and very difficult to write and grade questions that probe higher-level skills like judgment and synthesis. This makes me wary of primarily using standardized test scores to make such broad statements as one educational system is flat-out "better" than another. I do think the information we get from such tests is valuable, but that it is important to limit the scope of the conclusions we draw from them to what they are actually testing. In this case, I would say that there are probably more components to what we would consider a good educational system than just things like basic math and reading skills and college enrollment levels. Probably we want to look more towards the scientific, technological, and cultural achievements being produced by the people who went through that educational system.

Solid post. Most will ignore it I'm afraid. I have heard the same anecdotal evidence before.

Piggus

Lol @ South Korea and Japan.

Yeah, great education systems there. A complete focus on rote memorization and a progression system where your life is fucking over if you mess up on a single test.

My gf is Korean and went to Soul National. She's being held back from getting her masters in music education by ONE test that has nothing to do with her field of study. And none of the professors are willing point her in the right direction.

stuminus3

Canada at #10? Fuck you Dalton McGuinty, you've ruined everything, and your people are way too fucking stupid to even know you did it. #bill115

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My gf is Korean and went to Soul National. She's being held back from getting her masters in music education by ONE test that has nothing to do with her field of study. And none of the professors are willing point her in the right direction.

If there's one thing their education systems will teach, it's a diehard adherence to rules, no matter how arbitrary.

Talon

What else is shared by the top 5 countries? They're small nations with largely homogeneous populations.

2San

Screw Pearson they are the EA of the educational world. I'm from the Netherlands btw. As fun as it is to lol @ USA. Pearson is a terrible company.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Most of my higher education in the US has consisted of listening to a professor talk on their soap box and then reading the book. 90% of my classes probably could just be exams and a book, no teachers. Lower education is different though, those teachers actually taught you something.

UK seriously over rated, failing on so many basic levels like reading and numeracy. Maths in particular is a complete joke at 11-16 years. My friend from Bulgaria was saying things I couldn't do at 18 were taught to her at like 14.

or, as is more likely, you just went to a crap school. we had great math and english teachers in my school.

now that I think about it, we had great teachers in all subjects bar religious studies.

.. Well all the countries higher than the US are smaller countries with homogenous populations. Our country is just different, so their solutions won't apply. Or something like that.

Talon

I wouldn't call Japan or South Korea small at least population wise
Small geographically with populations localized in urban centers. I should also mention that I'm Korean.

In Korea at least, you wind up aiming for basically three of the national universities coming out of High School.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom