• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Gear America Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
large9py.jpg

Not looking too good judging by this pic. They do have the same Stig as the original, though :D

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2006/01/stories/08/1.html

oBa

Why are Americans obsessed with "remaking" already good British tele programs? Why cant discovery just take the easy route and rebroadcast the already great u.k. show? The Office and now this... ugh.

Lakitu

st5fu
Can anybody tell me what's going on with Top Gear in UK? All I've seen lately is "The Best of Top Gear" shows.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
The Office isn't a very good example as the US version is excellent, but the reason for Top Gear is that BMW aren't thrilled when their commercials are in the middle of a programme that just beat the shit out of their car.

For example.

Can anybody tell me what's going on with Top Gear in UK? All I've seen lately is "The Best of Top Gear" shows.

Series ended, just filler until the next one whenever that is. There's some Winter Olympics special where they race on ice and stuff soon though.

I can see the original making fun of the American one in the next series. Judging by the pic EVERYTHING looks far to staged and planed out...

Toolbox, intentionally old TV, stupid table :(

I also think the presenters wont be a patch on Jeremy, James and Richard as they actually think up most of the ideas for the show themselves while these guys look like they will just do what there told and one looks like a cast away from extreme makeover.

oBa

Mama Smurf said:
The Office isn't a very good example as the US version is excellent

I am not arguing that point, and I will concede that tons of people like the American version of the Office, even though I cannot personally stand it. But that was not my point.

My point was, why did the American producers go to the trouble to remake these shows in the first place? Sure the office u.s. turned out great according to some reports, but does that mean the U.K. version was terrible and unnaceptable for the states? Can Americans not understand British accents? Do they need American blood running through their actors veins in order to connect? I just do not get why these things need to be remade in the first place.

Instead of a shabby hangar and a track built around airfield taxiways, they got a pit garage and a proper circuit.

Instead of filling the studio with 200 grunting Subaru drivers, they did without an audience.

DEAD TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last season of the British Top Gear did not have the same "ring" to it anymore. Mostly scripted challenges with Jezza racing the other two though Europe. Meh.

And wait. American Top Gear. There is going to be a non Britisch program that bashes American made cars? I've gotta see this. :lol

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
oBa said:
I am not arguing that point, and I will concede that tons of people like the American version of the Office, even though I cannot personally stand it. But that was not my point.

My point was, why did the American producers go to the trouble to remake these shows in the first place? Sure the office u.s. turned out great according to some reports, but does that mean the U.K. version was terrible and unnaceptable for the states? Can Americans not understand British accents? Do they need American blood running through their actors veins in order to connect? I just do not get why these things need to be remade in the first place.

Because it's 14 episodes long and then over. This does not a lot of money make, not in the US.

Pretty certain you could see the UK Office in the US anyway, on some channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom