• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Rated games of 2023 are GAMECUBE games

Metroid Prime

Prime-Meta-GC.png

Prime-Meta-Sw-itch.png

Resident Evil 4

RE4-Meta-GC.png

RE4-Meta-PS5.png

The GameCube stays GOAT'ing even in 2023...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
The casuals all went with the PS2, due to the hype unfortunately.

Game quality wise, the GameCube is superior to PS2.

Nope. Not unless you care about very specific genres. If you were into kart racers, party fighters or just generally Nintendo's output specifically, it was a great console.

If you wanted the best variety, you got a PS2. JRPGs, simulation racers, arcade racers, 3D platformers (outside of Nintendo's stuff and Super Mario Sunshine was a bit of a lame duck for the day), survival horror, rhythm, third-person action, 3D fighters, 2D fighters...PS2 had Gamecube beat handily in these areas for quantity and in most cases also in terms of quality.

If your statement was so true, Gamecube would have seen better sales that gen. Instead even the Xbox outsold it.

Gamecube had a better library than the PS2

This is objectively false. Like, you can prefer select games on it over PS2's all you want.

But factually speaking, its library is weaker both in terms of variety and especially in terms of total games. Quality is subjective but basically if you didn't care for Mario, Zelda, Metroid or Smash Bros there was virtually nothing on the Gamecube the PS2 didn't have an answer for, and a LOT on the PS2 of high quality that had no alternatives on Gamecube whatsoever.

Last edited:
Gamecube was so cool and great. It was easily my favourite console of that generation - and a big step up from the N64 which I absolutely hated, along with its crappy games. It's also the last Nintendo console that I thoroughly enjoyed..

The GameCube version is the native release of the game.
It definitely looked better on Gamecube. In terms of graphics capability that gen:
1) Xbox
2) Gamecube
3) PS2
4) Dreamcast

PS2 was a great system because of all the third party games it got. But any of the games that were also on Xbox always looked significantly better. Thought the top Gamecube games also looked better.

Last edited:

DKPOWPOW

I love the GameCube, but this is happening because of the sorry state most of the industry is in.

Innovation and creative development have taken a gigantic backstep each generation since the Wii.

There was such a unanimous divide between gamers that it's caused a rift in the industry that has never fully healed.

Now it's just a ton of focus on the typical grafix whore bullshit. VR seems to be the only place where developers can get away with being innovative and still see mild success.

Unless you're Nintendo, but even they have become very iterative for most of this generation, and were totally lost in the last one.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Sales don't equal quality.

Casuals bought the PS2 based off the hype generated from being a successor to the PS1 and the DVD aspect.

Wii outsold the PS360, can anyone say the Wii was better?

Game wise GC >>> PS2.
I don't think that is true overall. I had both and while the Nintendo 1st party games were pretty great, PS2 had a fair amount of JRPGs and the GTAs that certainly justified the platform.

Codes 208

It's a quality overall quantity matter.

The PS2 had more games, no question.

The GameCube had higher quality games.

A list comparing the best games on each platform, and which have aged the best would have the GameCube as the winner.
the gamecube had higher quality games if your definition of higher quality is simply nintendo IP games. In which case, that shit is subjective. Metroid prime and the zeldas were good, but lets not pretend that the gamecube didnt have its fair share of meh or mediocre games like mario sunshine and star fox adventures.

And the ps2 had quality too, kingdom hearts started with the ps2 and look how far that franchise has come, not to mention, budokai tenkaichi 4, a sequel to a ps2 trilogy, practically broke the internet when it was revealed a couple weeks ago.

And what exclusive won the most awards last year? God of war ragnarok? A sequel to a ps2 game? Meanwhile i dont see people clamoring how metroid prime RE deserves to be goty yet. Resident evil 4 RE sure ill give you that, but resident evil is practically a given at this point for how large the IP is in general since its a third party franchise. and the funny part is the remake isnt even coming to nintendo

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

You might make a case for the ratio of good games to overall library Gamecube has the better library. Maybe.

However, the sheer size of the PS2 game library makes the PS2's library better through overall numbers. And that's not even considering backwards compatibility with PS1.

Tg89

I think Gamecube had the highest highs of that gen. Metroid Prime is the best game of that gen, console wise at least.

Quantity was the issue though.

Knightime_X

Imagine how much better GCN would have been if it used full-sized dvd and didn't enforce its goofy family friendly policy.
So many more AAA titles would have been on it.

Last edited:

Fbh

Good for the Gamecube but isn't it a bit sad that you can give a visual facelift to some 20 years old games and apparently produce something better than most modern games?

Last edited:
It's even more of a testament to Metroid Prime considering its essentially a visual overhaul of the original game with nothing much changed in terms of gameplay outside of the control scheme. Insane.
Metroid Prime was mind blowing in 2002, and still mind blowing today.

Especially with the graphics improvement on the remastered.

Shut0wen

Nope. Not unless you care about very specific genres. If you were into kart racers, party fighters or just generally Nintendo's output specifically, it was a great console.

If you wanted the best variety, you got a PS2. JRPGs, simulation racers, arcade racers, 3D platformers (outside of Nintendo's stuff and Super Mario Sunshine was a bit of a lame duck for the day), survival horror, rhythm, third-person action, 3D fighters, 2D fighters...PS2 had Gamecube beat handily in these areas for quantity and in most cases also in terms of quality.

If your statement was so true, Gamecube would have seen better sales that gen. Instead even the Xbox outsold it.

This is objectively false. Like, you can prefer select games on it over PS2's all you want.

But factually speaking, its library is weaker both in terms of variety and especially in terms of total games. Quality is subjective but basically if you didn't care for Mario, Zelda, Metroid or Smash Bros there was virtually nothing on the Gamecube the PS2 didn't have an answer for, and a LOT on the PS2 of high quality that had no alternatives on Gamecube whatsoever.
Mate wtf are you talking about? Ps2 had a shit load of shovel ware party games and kart games to keep the kids entertain, i highly doubt a majority of ps2 gamers gave two shits about jrpgs

Chastten

Banned
Not going into the 'which was better' as it's all a matter of personal taste but yeah, I had a GameCube and an Xbox that generation and not once did I miss a PS2. The only game I ever played on that, that didnt have an equal or better alternative was Fantavision. For some reason I really liked that game. For every other genre that I played heavily the GameCube and Xbox had my go-to games.

nial

Gold Member
So this is just a circle-jerk thread with idiotic Nintenbros stuck in 2001 lying to themselves the Gamecube has a better library than PS2? OK. No actual discussion seemingly to be had here.
In 2037: "Hmm, yeah dude, the Wii U actually had a better library than the PS4, you know?" *repeated by 50 other posters*

Last edited:
Top Bottom