• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Rated games of 2023 are GAMECUBE games

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Gamecube stays the goat!!

giphy.gif

TexMex

I absolutely love the GameCube. The last truly great Nintendo console IMO. So many great games. It’s the only console I’ve spent a while rebuying all my games back, spent a very unhealthy amount of money rebuilding the collection.

But the people here talking about the ps2 like it’s a casual only machine like the Wii or something are fucking insane. There are jist as many (if not more) great ps2 games than GameCube ones. The ps2 library is absolutely insane.

Last edited:
Imagine how much better GCN would have been if it used full-sized dvd and didn't enfore its goofy family friendly policy.
So many more AAA titles would have been on it.
The mini-disc were a huge mistake, Rockstar probably would have released GTA on the GC.

If the disc could fit such a game.

Good for the Gamecube but isn't it a bit sad that you can give a visual facelift to some 20 years old games and apparently produce something better than most modern games?

Yes, but games back then were designed specifically for gamers.

Gaming had gone through the casual revolution occurred somewhere in the PS360 generation.

I'm not saying new games are bad, but they play it safe now more than ever.

Basically, game design methodology has changed to focus test everything and try to appeal to everyone.

A good example would be Forspoken.

HYDE

Banned
Sales don't equal quality.

Casuals bought the PS2 based off the hype generated from being a successor to the PS1 and the DVD aspect.

Wii outsold the PS360, can anyone say the Wii was better?

Game wise GC >>> PS2.
All very subjective…no use arguing. Both are/were fantastic fun!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
PS360 missed out on tons of Wii gems & got brown :)
im not gonna take you seriously when you unironically think that gears of war and GTAIV should have the same color pallete as Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart Wii
and PS360 had far more genre defining and revolutionary games than Wii did. Wii started the trend of nintendo shoehorning gimmicks into their consoles & games to compete with Sony and Microsoft's graphical juggernauts

It looks like this thread was made for fun and in jest, but it seems like console warriors are pretty insecure, eh?

Did you like...actually...READ the OP's other posts ITT? It's pretty clear they're serious. You should learn how to detect sarcasm because it wasn't in that OP.

Mate wtf are you talking about? Ps2 had a shit load of shovel ware party games and kart games to keep the kids entertain, i highly doubt a majority of ps2 gamers gave two shits about jrpgs

It's not about what a majority thought or didn't think about a genre. People are saying PS2 had an objectively worst library than Gamecube. That is factually false unless your gaming tastes are severely limited to just Nintendo 3D platformers, Zelda, party fighters (Smash) or very, VERY specific franchises that happened to be Gamecube exclusive like Baten Kaitos.

Otherwise anything quality-wise could be matched by a similar offering on PS2, you got a much larger selection of said high-quality on PS2, and the library itself is much more varied when it comes to genres covered.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
the gamecube had higher quality games if your definition of higher quality is simply nintendo IP games. In which case, that shit is subjective. Metroid prime and the zeldas were good, but lets not pretend that the gamecube didnt have its fair share of meh or mediocre games like mario sunshine and star fox adventures.

And the ps2 had quality too, kingdom hearts started with the ps2 and look how far that franchise has come, not to mention, budokai tenkaichi 4, a sequel to a ps2 trilogy, practically broke the internet when it was revealed a couple weeks ago.

And what exclusive won the most awards last year? God of war ragnarok? A sequel to a ps2 game? Meanwhile i dont see people clamoring how metroid prime RE deserves to be goty yet. Resident evil 4 RE sure ill give you that, but resident evil is practically a given at this point for how large the IP is in general since its a third party franchise. and the funny part is the remake isnt even coming to nintendo
Kingdom Hearts had, in the words of Shinji Mikami, aura purchase.

Yes, but games back then were designed specifically for gamers.

Gaming had gone through the casual revolution occurred somewhere in the PS360 generation.

I'm not saying new games are bad, but they play it safe now more than ever.

Basically, game design methodology has changed to focus test everything and try to appeal to everyone.

A good example would be Forspoken.

You really don't know much about the gaming market or game design in general if you think these trends began with 7th gen or think Forspoken of all games is the epitomized representation of them in a modern context.

What do you think Bubsy was? Acro the Acrobat? All those shitty 2D fighters like Kung Pow and Rise of the Robots that flooded 16-bit consoles? The entire market shift to 3D was partially based on marketing a shift in gaming technology that was sellable as "cool" to gamers at the time.

Games were already getting scaled down in difficulty even going from NES/Master System to SNES/Genesis. More games gave you more continues, passwords, lives per credit, and generally became easier (i.e NES Castlevanias to Super Castlevania, one of the EASIEST Castlevanias ever made!).

You're just showing how much you don't understand the industry if this is your mindset. It's okay to prefer older games to modern stuff; I prefer a lot of older games to current releases for sure. But some older games are also just objectively bad, or objectively easy compared to some modern releases as well.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
Did you like...actually...READ the OP's other posts ITT? It's pretty clear they're serious. You should learn how to detect sarcasm because it wasn't in that OP.

It's not about what a majority thought or didn't think about a genre. People are saying PS2 had an objectively worst library than Gamecube. That is factually false unless your gaming tastes are severely limited to just Nintendo 3D platformers, Zelda, party fighters (Smash) or very, VERY specific franchises that happened to be Gamecube exclusive like Baten Kaitos.

Otherwise anything quality-wise could be matched by a similar offering on PS2, you got a much larger selection of said high-quality on PS2, and the library itself is much more varied when it comes to genres covered.
Nah, you're just a console warrior. The OP clearly was in jest, he even posted a funny gif at the end demonstrating that it's all in good fun. Nothing serious about the post at all, but to console warriors it's really "serious."

But hey console warriors will be console warriors.

Doom85

A top 5 games of the gen list on GameCube vs PS2 would have the Cube as the winner.

And yes, I can provide a list if you want.

So people defending the GameCube over PS2 only played five games that gen? Explains a lot.

Seriously, I enjoyed my GC library, but bruh, COME ON:

Ace Combat 4 and 5
Ape Escape 2 and 3
Bully
Dark Cloud 1 and 2
Disgaea 1 and 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy X and XII
God of War 1 and 2
Guitar Hero
Haunting Ground
Jak and Daxter 1-3
Katamari Damacy and We Love Katamari
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
Klonoa 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Okami
Persona 3 and 4
Ratchet and Clank 1-3
Shadow Hearts 1-3
Shadow of the Colossus
Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne
Silent Hill 3
Sly Cooper 1-3
SSX
Star Ocean 3
Tales of the Abyss
Virtua Fighter 4
Xenosaga 1-3

And there were some excellent non exclusive games on PS2 that never came to GameCube (Silent Hill 2, Devil May Cry 1 and 3, GTA games, Grandia 2, Max Payne 1 and 2, etc.)

tmlDan

Hated the GameCube, don't care for it's games even today except for RE4.

PS2 had way better variety, a ton more games, and a lot of great ones too.

im not gonna take you seriously when you unironically think that gears of war and GTAIV should have the same color pallete as Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart Wii
and PS360 had far more genre defining and revolutionary games than Wii did. Wii started the trend of nintendo shoehorning gimmicks into their consoles & games to compete with Sony and Microsoft's graphical juggernauts
The Wii literally changed the whole trajectory of Nintendo as a whole.

They went 100% down the grandma/soccer mom route.

The Switch is more of a return to NES-GC era Nintendo (thankfully).

List your top 5 PS2 games.

Last edited:
You really don't know much about the gaming market or game design in general if you think these trends began with 7th gen or think Forspoken of all games is the epitomized representation of them in a modern context.

What do you think Bubsy was? Acro the Acrobat? All those shitty 2D fighters like Kung Pow and Rise of the Robots that flooded 16-bit consoles? The entire market shift to 3D was partially based on marketing a shift in gaming technology that was sellable as "cool" to gamers at the time.

Games were already getting scaled down in difficulty even going from NES/Master System to SNES/Genesis. More games gave you more continues, passwords, lives per credit, and generally became easier (i.e NES Castlevanias to Super Castlevania, one of the EASIEST Castlevanias ever made!).

You're just showing how much you don't understand the industry if this is your mindset. It's okay to prefer older games to modern stuff; I prefer a lot of older games to current releases for sure. But some older games are also just objectively bad, or objectively easy compared to some modern releases as well.

Thanks for letting me know of your gaming INexperience.

If you think the Wii casual craze with everything that followed didn't bring gaming to the mainstream, LOL.

CoD 4 also helped with the revolution in bringing gaming as a mainstream entity, that game was huge.

People who never cared about games, started gaming with either the Wii or CoD4 in a lot of cases.

Gen 7 paved the way for modern games as we know it, and was when 3D gaming controls/mechanics/accessibility was standardized.

Last edited:
like...?
the dreamcast hardly has any exclusives to begin with
As of now, yeah.

That's due to most of its games being ported after the console was ended.

Initially (what I'm referring to) those games were exclusive.

Jet Set Radio, Power Stone, Phantasy Star Online, NFL 2K, Soul Calibur, Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, etc

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Possible ban bet, no other game released in 2023 will score higher. :pie_thinking:

Higher than what?
91 - 93 For ResEve
94 For Metroid

Tears of the Kingdom and SilkSong are coming out this year you know?

And are Burning Shores and Phantom Liberty allowed to count?

But come to think of it.
Yeah I think you might be right, beating a 94 is gonna be a tall tall order Tears of the Kingdom is pretty much a lock for GOTY but I dunno if it will review higher than 94.

Even games im looking forward to more are unlikely to beat that.
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Cities Skylines 2
  • Crimson Desert
  • StarField
  • Phantom Liberty
  • Final Fantasy 16
  • Final Fantasy Rebirth
  • Factions 2 (working title)
  • Stalker 2 - will get robbed in the reviews.

Last edited:
Higher than what?
93 For ResEve
94 For Metroid

And are Burning Shores and Phantom Liberty allowed to count?

But come to think of it.
Yeah I think you might be right, beating a 94 is gonna be a tall tall order Tears of the Kingdom is pretty much a lock for GOTY but I dunno if it will review higher than 94.

Even games im looking forward to more are unlikely to beat that.
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Cities Skylines 2
  • Crimson Desert
  • StarField
  • Phantom Liberty
  • Final Fantasy 16
  • Final Fantasy Rebirth
  • Factions 2 (working title)
  • Stalker 2 - will get robbed in the reviews.
Only games on that list have a chance of topping a 94 meta are Starfield (unlikely due to bugs), Tears of The Kingdom, and maybe Final Fantasy Rebirth.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Only games on that list have a chance of topping a 94 meta are Starfield (unlikely due to bugs) or Tears of The Kingdom.
Oblivion and Skyrim were both ~94 Meta games bugs and all.
Assuming Starfield is atleast as good as those it has a chance.
Tears of the Kingdom im expect to shut shit down.
SilkSong is probably one of the most anticipated titles of the year, but I dont know how reviewers will receive it.
Realistically its should be a GOTY candidate easy work.

The other games on my list are just the games im looking forward to more this year than Metroid or RE4R I dont expect them to be 90+ games, but in my eyes they are all early purchases where as Metroid and RE4R are both games I can wait to play.
Wait a while if im honest.

Thanks for letting me know of your gaming INexperience.

If you think the Wii casual craze with everything that followed didn't bring gaming to the mainstream, LOL.

CoD 4 also helped with the revolution in bringing gaming as a mainstream entity, that game was huge.

People who never cared about games, started gaming with either the Wii or CoD4 in a lot of cases.

Gen 7 paved the way for modern games as we know it, and was when 3D gaming controls/mechanics/accessibility was standardized.

Again, you don't know your gaming history.

Gaming was already mainstream well before 7th gen, but that depends on your definition of mainstream, because that scope would always change over a period of several years. SNES/Genesis were mainstream to an extent, the latter particularly in America due to its sports games. They were "mainstream" to the extent where Joe Liberman wanted to regulate the industry and basically forced Sega (and others) to make the ESRB.

The PS1 was very much a mainstream hit and considered the first "cool" console with regular celebrity endorsements, tapped into rave/club culture (PS1 demo kiosks with Wipeout) and got featured in various Hollywood movies and TV shows. PS2 was even more mainstream; games like GTA3 and Vice City were basically part of the cultural zeitgeist and many non-gaming outlets would talk about them.

Yes there are certain things that were "standardized" with 7th gen but it's not like 6th gen or even 5th gen hadn't already done a lot of the set-up or most of it in certain cases. 3D platforms for example were pretty much figured out in the 6th gen; simulation racers were pretty much standardized with GT3 and GT4, both on PS2. JRPGs in 3D spaces, again, standardized with 6th gen.

The Wii didn't even kick off the casual movement! Stuff like the Eye Toy did that, along with games like the Singstar series, which was really popular in Europe. The Wii capitalized on the mainstream/casual audience late-era PS2 was already capitalizing on itself. Meanwhile COD 4 I would say succeeded a lot more in cultivated a particular "frat boy" culture around FPS games but was mainly already appealing to people who had been playing games like Halo on Xbox, or other FPS games on console, or FPS games on PC who jumped over to console in 7th gen. Very few people who jumped into COD 4 were non-gamers.

Loved the GameCube. The design, the games, even the soothing menu music.

I wish Nintendo would make a comparably powerful home console again.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Everyone begs for remakes and remasters of games they've already played. They're just giving the people what they want.

EN250

Resident Evil 4

RE4-Meta-GC.png
You sure it's only a GameCube game?, might be misremembering, but RE4 is one of the most ported games ever:
  • Resident Evil 4 (GameCube - January 2005) ...
  • Resident Evil 4 (PlayStation 2 - October 2005) ...
  • Resident Evil 4 (PC - May 2007) ...
  • Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Wii - June 2007) ...
  • Resident Evil 4: Mobile Edition (iOS - July 2009/Zeebo - August 2009/iPad - April 2010)
  • Resident Evil 4 HD (PS3/Xbox 360 - September 2011)
  • Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD Edition (PC - February 2014)
  • Resident Evil 4 (PS4/Xbox One - August 2016)
  • Resident Evil 4 VR (Oculus Quest 2 - October 2021)

hemo memo

Gold Member
Higher than what?
91 - 93 For ResEve
94 For Metroid

BotW took everyone by surprise. But TotK is a sequel with insane expectations so if it actually scores higher than the first then I would be genuinely surprised. Day 1 though for TotK though.

Top Bottom