• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Rated games of 2023 are GAMECUBE games

Doom85

PS2 did nothing for me personally. It's game library on the whole was skewed towards casuals, those that play whatever genre is very popular at the time. Most people I knew that had PS2 just played FIFA, GTA or racing games. For me the best games that generation by far were RE4, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Paper Mario, Smash Bros Melee and F Zero GX. The lunchbox handle design and purple colour kept most of the casuals very far away from the Gamecube.

What Incredulous GIF by MOODMAN

First of all, guess I gotta quote myself:

Seriously, I enjoyed my GC library, but bruh, COME ON:

Ace Combat 4 and 5
Ape Escape 2 and 3
Bully
Dark Cloud 1 and 2
Disgaea 1 and 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Final Fantasy X and XII
God of War 1 and 2
Guitar Hero
Haunting Ground
Jak and Daxter 1-3
Katamari Damacy and We Love Katamari
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
Klonoa 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Okami
Persona 3 and 4
Ratchet and Clank 1-3
Shadow Hearts 1-3
Shadow of the Colossus
Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne
Silent Hill 3
Sly Cooper 1-3
SSX
Star Ocean 3
Tales of the Abyss
Virtua Fighter 4
Xenosaga 1-3

And there were some excellent non exclusive games on PS2 that never came to GameCube (Silent Hill 2, Devil May Cry 1 and 3, GTA games, Grandia 2, Max Payne 1 and 2, etc.)

Ah yes, nothing but games for “casuals” up there.

Also, mind you, there are over FOUR THOUSAND PS2 games in existence (there’s a reason video game experts will often refer to it as one of the best places to find hidden gems). And apparently they “don’t exist” because your social circle played like ten games altogether between the lot of them.

The Gamecube, on the other hand, had only 652 games in existence.

Matthew Broderick GIF

And if games that apparently weren’t played by anyone since your friends didn’t play them (funny how so many of these games got sequels regardless….) don’t count by your logic, then the entire Gamecube console itself must not count since barely anyone played it in comparison to PS2: 21 million consoles sold versus 155 million consoles sold AKA the highest selling console of all time.

Also, in what universe does Zelda and Smash Bros. not appeal to “casuals”? You also list Paper Mario, a RPG, the PS2 was STACKED with RPGs. Also, LOL at calling racing games “casual”, but then calling F-Zero one of the best of the gen. Last time I checked, F-Zero involved racing…..

And you know what, I’m getting tired of seeing it listed (especially since my PS2 exclusive list excluded titles that got released elsewhere the same gen), I’m officially revoking RE 4 of its Gamecube exclusive status. The game came out on PS2 not that long after. If it released elsewhere in the same gen, not an exclusive.

Like, you make me think of the Principal Skinner quote: “is it possible I’m out of touch? ….no, it’s the children who are wrong.” Except you‘re saying: “is it possible back then I was friends with mostly normies? ….no, it’s the Playstation 2 that is wrong.”

Sorry to dump all that on you, and man I like a lot of Gamecube titles too, but at the same time claiming the PS2 library is “casual”?

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Inanilmaz

The GameCube was the GOAT with games like:

Dragon Quest
Final Fantasy X
Persona 4
God of War
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Vice City, & 3
Bully
Okami
Kingdom Hearts
Destroy all Humans
Ape Escape
Ratchet & Clank
Crash Bandicoot
Jak & Daxter
Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain
Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5
Hajime no Ippo: Victorious Boxers
Way of the Samurai
Katamari
Gran Turismo 4
SSX: Snowboard
The Getaway
Mafia
Shadow of the Colossus
Zone of the Enders
Yakuza
Tenkaichi 3
FIFA
PES
Tenchu 3
Obscure
Shadow Hearts
Earth Defence Force
EyeToy

Can't still understand why everyone bought a ps2/xbox

Xbox had a much better exclusive library than the GameCube and on par with PS2 despite it's quantity. Anyone saying otherwise never knew it's library beyond Halo, Gotham, and Fable. Granted, that's all many needed to pick it over the GameCube, the rest was a bonus.
The OG Xbox is definitely underrated, admittedly.

RAIDEN1

Personally I'm finding getting the dolphin emulator to work on the Series X right now a pain in the *** just to get running...despite all these videos you see about the wonders of it...

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Name me a PS2 game better than F-Zero GX or Metroid Prime.

Good luck...LOL

Also Paper Mario TTYD is arguably the best JRPG of the gen.

I loved all three of those games, owned them as well. But damn if FFX doesn't give them a run for their money. It'd be real close for me (this is based on replaying X recently too). Definitely prefer X over F-Zero, just due to liking RPGs more in general, but both TTYD and FFX were tons of fun. Prime probably takes the crown though, playing that on a gamecube for the first time was a pretty defining gaming experience for me.

Last edited:
Xbox had a much better exclusive library than the GameCube and on par with PS2 despite it's quantity. Anyone saying otherwise never knew it's library beyond Halo, Gotham, and Fable. Granted, that's all many needed to pick it over the GameCube, the rest was a bonus.
That's all entirely subjective, bro. No two people are going to agree over their personal favorite games.

SaintALia

That's funny. My first time to the USA I figured I'd buy a console to spend some downtime after work. I got a GC for ultra cheap and 3 games, I can never remember what the third game was, but the two I do remember are Metroid Prime and RE4, because they ended up being some of my fav games of all time.

I was beating those games back to back for hours on end. Though I'm not a nostalgic person per se, I'm looking forward to seeing how they hold up after all these years.

shiru

Banned
The people saying the Gamecube had a better library than PS2 are the same people who believe the N64 had a better library than the PS1.

Deluded.

Resident Evil 4 was also a PS2 game.
What's wrong with that? N64 had a lot of good games. I personally find its library of exclusives a lot more appealing to play in 2023 than the PS1. Jrpgs aren't the end all, be all of gaming.

Last edited:

Alphagear

What's wrong with that? N64 had a lot of good games. I personally find its library of exclusives a lot more appealing to play in 2023 than the PS1. Jrpgs aren't the end all, be all of gaming.

Not just RPGs but every other genre except Platformers and Goldeneye.

I can count the good N64 games using my fingers.

The PS1 on the other hand has over 50-100 great games.

Still discovering great PS1 games to this day which I never played.

The only Nintendo Home console which gives the PS1 and PS2 a run for its money is the SNES.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned

It had a lot of good games, but 50-100 GREAT games? Ok. Just my opinion, but there's barely anything on par with Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, F-Zero X, Perfect Dark, Turok, Zelda OoT, Pokemon Snap or the AKI wrestling games. Those are games I consider actually great.

acm2000

nintendo fans think the gamecube has a better library than ps2, now theres a shocker lol

ive never been one for nintendos IPs so i have never actually owned one of their home consoles and only ever had a Gameboy and Gameboy Advance and even the Advance i didnt really keep all that long.

Alphagear

It had a lot of good games, but 50-100 GREAT games? Ok. Just my opinion, but there's barely anything on par with Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, F-Zero X, Perfect Dark, Turok, Zelda OoT, Pokemon Snap or the AKI wrestling games. Those are games I consider actually great.

There's the delusion.

Tell me you never owned a PS1 without telling me you never owned one.

Turok, F-Zero X and Pokemon Snap were great games?

Tells you how poor the N64 game library is.

Last edited:

shiru

Banned
There's the delusion.

Tell me you never owned a PS1 without telling me you never owned one.
Ok fuckwit, I clearly stated it was my personal opinion. I said the PS1 had a lot of good games, 50 to 100 great exclusive(what I was comparing) games being far too generous unless one has very loose standards or really, really loves jrpgs.

Last edited:

The only Nintendo Home console which gives the PS1 and PS2 a run for its money is the SNES.

Okay, list them

Nvzman

The casuals all went with the PS2, due to the hype unfortunately.

Game quality wise, the GameCube is superior to PS2.
Okay I like the GameCube too but don't kid yourself, the PS2 has the quality library of the GameCube but multiplied by like 5 times.
For every good GameCube exclusive, you could name like 5 amazing PS2 games.

e0n

Higher than what?
91 - 93 For ResEve
94 For Metroid
Past decade only has around ~10 games higher than 94. The interesting part is that both studios who got up there (Nintendo & Bethesda) are now releasing a mainline game this year. I would also bet Baldur's Gate 3 and Street Fighter 6 have good potential as well. Starfield has got a long delay, not too impressive of an initial showing. Zelda:TotK is a sequel undoubtedly going to have performance problems. I just think it would be funny a game originally released in the early 2000s remained ahead of the pack in a stacked year.

gAmEcUbE hAd bEtTeR gAmEs tHaN tHe Ps2!!!

Reality from a single fall back in 2001

playstation-2-fall-2001.large.jpg

Gamecube was cute tho.

People keep posting this but it's not the selling point they think it is. 5 of those didn't even sell much.

Compared to Halo, Project Gotham, Amped, Dead or Alive 3, Odd world, Tony Hawk 2x, Blood Wake, also had Silent Hill 2, and more in that same time frame.

Alphagear

Ok fuckwit, I clearly stated it was my personal opinion. I said the PS1 had a lot of good games, 50 to 100 great exclusive(what I was comparing) games being far too generous unless one has very loose standards or really, really loves jrpgs.

According to Your standards the likes of F-Zero X, Turok and Pokemon Snap are great games.

To make matters worse you reckon nothing on PS1 compares.

Like I said earlier, tell me you have never owned a PS1 without telling me you never owned one.

Impotaku

Okay I like the GameCube too but don't kid yourself, the PS2 has the quality library of the GameCube but multiplied by like 5 times.
For every good GameCube exclusive, you could name like 5 amazing PS2 games.
Yeah the gamecubes library is amazing but in no way was the ps2's library weaker than it they are just great in different ways. The ps2 is up there with ps1 as the best 2 libraries of all the ps consoles that have released so far no matter what genre you are into there is a game in it for you for me i love music rhythm games the ps1&2 have an unreal amount of amazing rhythm stuff as well as really weird quirky games. I will say however that the shovelware on ps2 is way worse than gamecube the phoenix games been the pinnacle of bad.

As much as this thread is basically a shit on battle now it's nice to actually see some of the gamecube games have a second time to shine, that system was done dirty by so many console fanboys i still remember the shit online about the handle & the launch colour. Even the disks which ironically were better than full sized disks when it came to loading times some stuff on cube loads so fast that it's almost like it's running from a cart.

Naked Lunch

After all these years the Gamecube only has 2 games truly worth revisiting:
F-Zero GX and Killer 7.

Damn fine games - no doubt, but the GC overall is no where in the same universe as the PS2's library.
I say this as someone who still has the console hooked up in 2023, with a GC Loader installed.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

I owned both GC and PS2. PS2 was my main. GC was my party machine when friends are over. Favorite games from that gen were GTA3, MGS2, FFX, RE4, Shadow of the Colossus, and Smash Bros Melee.

shiru

Banned
People keep posting this but it's not the selling point they think it is. 5 of those didn't even sell much.

Compared to Halo, Project Gotham, Amped, Dead or Alive 3, Odd world, Tony Hawk 2x, Blood Wake, also had Silent Hill 2, and more in that same time frame.
Four on the games on that pic are also multiplatform.
According to Your standards the likes of F-Zero X, Turok and Pokemon Snap are great games.

To make matters worse you reckon nothing on PS1 compares.

Like I said earlier, tell me you have never owned a PS1 without telling me you never owned one.
They are legitimely great games, try playing them. And I didn't say nothing on PS1 compares, I said the system isn't flooding with games of the caliber I listed. There absolutely isn't 50 OoT tier games on it, exclusive or not. That's the standard. If the standard is simply good games, then the N64 has a lot more than the handful of games you think it has. I don't care that the PS1 has Symphony of the Night, Megaman X4 or Resident Evil 2, because those games are also available on other platforms.

Last edited:

Alphagear

Four on the games on that pic are also multiplatform.

They are legitimely great games, try playing them. And I didn't say nothing on PS1 compares, I said the system isn't flooding with games of the caliber I listed. There absolutely isn't 50 OoT tier games on it, exclusive or not. That's the standard. If the standard is simply good games, then the N64 has a lot more than the handful of games you think it has. I don't care that the PS1 has Symphony of the Night, Megaman X4 or Resident Evil 2, because those games are also available on other platforms.

Have played them and no way are they great games.

Noticed you have moved goalposts.

First you mentioned nothing compares to likes of Turok, F-Zero and Pokemon Snap on Ps1.

To now saying Ps1 doesn’t have 50 OoT tier games?

Now only Exclusive games matter and JRPGs don’t count.

Anyway I’m out. Not wasting my time with anyone who believes the N64 had a better game library than the PS1.

Neither with anyone who believe the GC had a better game library than the PS2.

I owned all of them and the only Nintendo home console which competes with the PS1 and PS2 is the Snes.

The N64 and Gamecube pale in comparison

Last edited:

shiru

Banned

First you mentioned nothing compares to likes of Turok, F-Zero and Pokemon Snap on Ps1.

Now only Exclusive games matter.
OoT was one of the games I listed, remember? And I haven't moved any goalpost, read my post again, I said 'barely' anything compares, because even if you think a game like Turok is average, it's still miles ahead of any FPS attempt on the PS1. And it was in response to your claim of 50-100 'great' PS1 games. What exactly are these 50-100 PS1 games you think are so great they decimate the N64 library? Because according to you, the number of 'good' (a game like OoT is certainly more than just 'good') N64 games can be counted using your fingers.

Last edited:

c7582eefcab06451cac6a4d53b4d9716.gif

Xbox was a beast.

After all these years the Gamecube only has 2 games truly worth revisiting:
F-Zero GX and Killer 7.

Damn fine games - no doubt, but the GC overall is no where in the same universe as the PS2's library.
I say this as someone who still has the console hooked up in 2023, with a GC Loader installed.

And yet, I have over 40+ games ready to fire up on my GCLoader.

Paper Mario TTYD, Baten Kaitos, PSO Ep 3, Viewtiful Joe, Mario Baseball, Prime 2, Pikmin, etc.

All exclusives as well, that name is not even 10% of my all 90% exclusives catalog ready to play.

Last edited:

Now only Exclusive games matter and JRPGs don’t count.

Anyway I’m out. Not wasting my time with anyone who believes the N64 had a better game library than the PS1.

Neither with anyone who believe the GC had a better game library than the PS2.

I owned all of them and the only Nintendo home console which competes with the PS1 and PS2 is the Snes.

The N64 and Gamecube pale in comparison
The SNES is a good 2D console, I'll leave it at that.

The ones that came after, 3D capable ones are in a league of their own.

Top Bottom