• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TopGear USA - Big Thread of V-8s, Burnouts, and F*** Yeahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.O.P

Banned
LOL, fucking awesome.

Q7Rrp.gif

What episode is this? thanks :D

Aguirre

Tanner seems to be so full of himself. i like the other two, the mix well and have great back and forths, but tanner? he can go away for all i care.

ChanHuk

Banned
Tanner seems to be so full of himself. i like the other two, the mix well and have great back and forths, but tanner? he can go away for all i care.

He's a tool plain and simple. I dunno if its just him or him + script. But he comes off as a total tool. You could easily replace him with someone else and not miss out on much. "Let me get something out of my system" *drifts around* I mean really? The other two picked out cool cars for the challenge and he picked a typical car he would drive.

ascii42

He's a tool plain and simple. I dunno if its just him or him + script. But he comes off as a total tool. You could easily replace him with someone else and not miss out on much. "Let me get something out of my system" *drifts around* I mean really? The other two picked out cool cars for the challenge and he picked a typical car he would drive.

Well, you'd miss out on having someone who can actually drive well.

What episode is this? thanks :D

Looks like the episode "Supercars." It was one of the episodes in the second half of season 2.

Meier

Love Tanner -- his skill as a driver is amazing. They'd probably lose the Stig (although Offroad Stig was definitely not him) if they replaced Tanner too!

The show has gotten so much better as its progressed. Just a joy to watch every week.. really glad they've removed the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car and the other "studio" bits and just gone balls to the wall in the field.

Davedough

Wait. The show is on again? Fuck, I hate the fact that this show gets zero advertisement anywhere else. I had no idea it was running again =(.

hobz360

Love Tanner -- his skill as a driver is amazing. They'd probably lose the Stig (although Offroad Stig was definitely not him) if they replaced Tanner too!

The show has gotten so much better as its progressed. Just a joy to watch every week.. really glad they've removed the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car and the other "studio" bits and just gone balls to the wall in the field.

You know what I miss the most? The leaderboard lap times. You'd think with all the types of different cars here, they'd have one car to run every episode.

Babalu.

so glad they got rid of small car big star or the segment where they stand in front of the hangar/crowd. Those were so bad.

And I love the show now but its getting a little too scripted now for my liking. I understand they have to make it entertaining but for that all you have to do is show more longshot drifting and more of cars racing or whatver. They have so many cuts now.

And as far as scripting goes, this last episode just took me out of it.

Rut goes into store, somehow they buy 400lbs of cat litter without him seeing and stick it in his trunk. ya ok
adam goes into a store and buys suranwrap wraps his car and then bolts it to catch up with rut and they "race" the last mile.
All the ending races always come down to TOOO close when in reality it probably wasn't. Adam takes the lead on the last turn but runs out of gas. ya ok

To me the best scenes in the series that I can remember is the slow mo shot of the mustang drifting on the moutain road. Or him drifting on the streets of LA. Or even racing the motorcycle. They need to just show more helicopter longshots of those.

The guys are funny though and I love tanner/adam/rutlage combo.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
so glad they got rid of small car big star or the segment where they stand in front of the hangar/crowd. Those were so bad.

And I love the show now but its getting a little too scripted now for my liking. I understand they have to make it entertaining but for that all you have to do is show more longshot drifting and more of cars racing or whatver. They have so many cuts now.

And as far as scripting goes, this last episode just took me out of it.

Rut goes into store, somehow they buy 400lbs of cat litter without him seeing and stick it in his trunk. ya ok
adam goes into a store and buys suranwrap wraps his car and then bolts it to catch up with rut and they "race" the last mile.
All the ending races always come down to TOOO close when in reality it probably wasn't. Adam takes the lead on the last turn but runs out of gas. ya ok

To me the best scenes in the series that I can remember is the slow mo shot of the mustang drifting on the moutain road. Or him drifting on the streets of LA. Or even racing the motorcycle. They need to just show more helicopter longshots of those.

The guys are funny though and I love tanner/adam/rutlage combo.

Yeah, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much bullshit in that one. The litter and the catch up was absurd, unless Rut stopped to pee or buy a drink or something, allowing Adam to catch up. But I 100% agree.

And I love the show now but its getting a little too scripted now for my liking.
Exactly my take on things. That and the show still needs a better soundtrack.

ChanHuk

Banned
Well, you'd miss out on having someone who can actually drive well.

Looks like the episode "Supercars." It was one of the episodes in the second half of season 2.

The original show, none of they could drive well, but they were damn entertaining to watch. Tanner is not entertaining.

This season it seems like its been going back to reusing Top Gear UK's ideas with an American spin.

ascii42

Tonights Episode: Tractor Challenge

The guys head to rural California and attempt to help a farmer with three of the biggest tractors on the market. It quickly descends into chaos as they try to transport livestock and heavy equipment and complete farm chores. We then review the fastest "tractor" of them all--the new Lamborghini Aventador--and see how its claims stack up in a race against a crop dusting plane.

Having the Aventador is cool, but I've grown tired of these sort of races, on both the US and UK series.

Meier

Great episode! The preview for next week's episode said the season finale but wiki says it's meant to be 16 episodes for this season?! Does anyone know what's up?

ascii42

Great episode! The preview for next week's episode said the season finale but wiki says it's meant to be 16 episodes for this season?! Does anyone know what's up?

Yeah, they announced they were splitting the season by doing 6 episodes in the Fall and 10 in the Spring. I'm not sure why they didn't do 8 and 8 like Season 2 though.

the Lamborghini Aventador part

what is up with the paint getting wet changes the color from White to Red

it looked fugly at the end unless the car is fully wet this would look spotty all the time

is this standard?

That last episode was much better than I expected. We still have one more before the break?

I've got the season through Zune so I'm always a day behind before I can download it.

ascii42

That last episode was much better than I expected. We still have one more before the break?

I've got the season through Zune so I'm always a day behind before I can download it.

Yep, tonight's episode looks like another offroad challenge, this time in cars:

Do you really need an expensive 4x4 to go off road? The guys don't think so and to prove their point use three classic rental cars and attempt to complete and epic journey on some of the toughest terrain in the country from Monument Valley to Moab.

blanky

the Lamborghini Aventador part

what is up with the paint getting wet changes the color from White to Red

it looked fugly at the end unless the car is fully wet this would look spotty all the time

is this standard?

It was part of the challenge. Tanner had to avoid the spray from the plane, to measure they put paper on the car that would change colour if it got wet. So what you were seeing was tanner losing :D

I learned how expensive farm equipement really are

It was part of the challenge. Tanner had to avoid the spray from the plane, to measure they put paper on the car that would change colour if it got wet. So what you were seeing was tanner losing :D

they should have explained that a little better I got lost when he poured the water on the hood and it turned pink

Chris R

Just hope there are more skits and bits they have thought up on their own instead of cribbing so close from the UK version.

Al-ibn Kermit

Just hope there are more skits and bits they have thought up on their own instead of cribbing so close from the UK version.

It gets better at establishing it's unique identity every season. Plus it has a lot less scripting yet more field challenges than the UK version which is good.

Mew2

Neo Member
I just enjoy a show about cars to be honest...

Has the show gotten better? Debating having my wife send me some newer episodes, I wish they would go back and do some oldie but goodies ;]

Lima

Has the show gotten better? ]

I would say so.

Especially the 6 episodes from REAL season 3.

I like how they got rid of the studio segments and the big star, small car thing. The way that it is now works better with American television. Before some of the segments felt rushed because of the 40 mins they had.

So yeah it was improved and I look forward to see more Top Gear over the coming weeks.

ascii42

Tonight's Episode
College Cars

The guys find the same model cars they drove in college and then head south of the border on an epic spring break road trip through Mexico to determine whose ride is the best college car. They tackle the tough streets of Tijuana and the treacherous mountain trails of the Baja Peninsula on their journey to reach the party town of San Felipe on the Sea of Cortez. Comedian Adam Ferrara, champion race car driver Tanner Foust and racing analyst Rutledge Wood host.

Should be good. I enjoyed their First Cars episode.

Not a great episode. There's way to much focus on things that have nothing to do with cars, and I have a feeling they've scraped the big star/little car and test drive sections entirely. The constant commercial breaks and "here's what you just saw 5 minutes ago" primers don't help. Pretty cold on the show as a whole right now.

ascii42

RV episode.

Surprise, surprise. Tanner has ripped off James May. Adam ripped off Clarkson (but put it on a '70s American car), and I'm guessing it's going to turn out that Rut ripped off Hammond.

Edit: holy shit, Rut's Civic extends.

I'm more than ok with getting rid of the Star in the Car bits.

I do kinda hope they keep car reviews in though . . . but they never really match the beauty and production of the UK version

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
A decent episode. Definitely got laughs out of me

I hate how they preview what's going to happen before commercial breaks, ruins the fucking surprises. ARGH!

ascii42

A decent episode. Definitely got laughs out of me

I hate how they preview what's going to happen before commercial breaks, ruins the fucking surprises. ARGH!

Yeah, not that we didn't expect it, but they completely spoiled Adam's Building-On-A-Buick tipping over.

DasRaven

I really hope that they stop teasing that the challenge winner will get to drive the cool car at the end. We all know that Tanner will be driving.

Last week, they literally yanked Rut out of the Veyron Vitesse and this week they simply disqualified Adam. At least TGUK lets all three drivers actually test the cool hardware.

Still, way better than the weekly "decide how to blow up old cars" episodes earlier this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom