• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Gameplay Trailer

Delstius

The fact that only some lines are spoken is really distracting. I'd rather have no voices at all.

Bothered me too, I hope there's a way to either mark a longer pause to let you read the description between two lines or to just turn off the voices.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Well this came outta nowhere. 2 days before Wasteland 2 as well.

Obviously very early footage but it looks great. Voice acting sounds wonderful.

Zabojnik

James-Van-Der-Beek-Crying-On-Dawsons-Creek-Gif.gif

Impressive. Even with some of the early look of polygonal characters skating a little across the backdrops, the increase in detail on the characters, with their flowing capes and strutting from point to point in their movement, it makes me wish that WL2 had gotten the pre-rendered background treatment rather than the full three-dimensional camera. Also wish/hope that WL2 has an option for larger fonts that are as easy to read given how heavily both games rely upon textual description and dialogue trees. Glad to have backed. Go inXile.

Grym

For those wondering why they didn't pledge, you still can. Do it on the website. If they hit 4.75mil by mid October, they are fleshing out an area of the Bloom.

Radogol

Pretty amazing. It's surprising there appears to be actual art direction seeing what a mess Wasteland 2 is in this regard. I'm really hyped.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The fact that only some lines are spoken is really distracting. I'd rather have no voices at all.

Thats how it was in the IE games and it allows a character to have a definitive voice without having to spend huge amounts for full VO.

epmode

The Infinity Engine and Fallout games did the same thing. Only major scenes are voiced along with introductions to new major characters. It's a nice compromise. The small snippets of dialogue help with understanding the character and the dev team isn't beholden to all of the garbage that comes with a fully voiced game.

1. Full voice greatly reduces the scope of character choices since it would cost too much to voice all of the variations.
2. Dialogue has to be locked in place far ahead of time so edits in the name of an improved game often don't happen.

I'd much rather have it this way than no voice at all.

Durante

I'm all for sporadic voice acting in the IE style. There's a bit of an art to how and when exactly to use it though.

Almighty

Well looks like them teaming up with Obsidian for tech has paid off. The first thing that popped into my head was "Damn, this game look much better then I was expecting". This is the first thing I saw about this game since I briefly looked at its Kickstarter. I think I might be getting a little hyped for it though a lot of that will depend on how good Wasteland 2 ends up.

Using the same engine. B/c just about all small budgets use Unity. But yes, Obsidian is sharing or selling their tech to them.

In a clear parallel to that of the Infinity Engine, dare I say we might be seeing the christening of the Eternity Engine series? I'd like to think we could get another 4-5 games outta these here.

SOME-MIST

my anticipation is now through the roof

kinda wanna try and change my pledge from the $100 to the collectors edition reward. didn't even know those options were still available.

that ending thing was so fucking cheesy lol
my thoughts exactly. I cringed a little bit when I read it.

zkylon

zkylewd
my anticipation is now through the roof

kinda wanna try and change my pledge from the $100 to the collectors edition reward. didn't even know those options were still available.

my thoughts exactly. I cringed a little bit when I read it.

i feel like there's always this cheesy quality to everything inxile's done ever since the kickstarter craze and normally i'd react like you did but it's kind of grown on me

i'm always for silliness

Fjordson

Looks great! For some reason I didn't expect these (this, Eternity, etc.) to look so nice visually. Pleasant surprise.

I honestly didn't even realise this wasn't the same game as Pillars of Eternity until a couple weeks back. I guess I'll pick it up at some stage.

978393a3eb0fcde42c3fe98a2d5551be_large.png

All of that beautiful text. This looks great.

I love this Obsidian - inXile relationship.

I do hope they have an option to scale that UI down just a little bit, though. It looks like even without the expanded dialogue box it would take up a good 40% of the screen.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I do hope they have an option to scale that UI down just a little bit, though. It looks like even without the expanded dialogue box it would take up a good 40% of the screen.

Agree with you. Things seem a bit "boxy" and unpolished. They polished up Wasteland 2 over time, it was first very bulky and ugly and they tightened everything up.

Only other thing im not crazy about is the bloom textures need some work.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Looks fantastic. I wish Wasteland had gone with a similar art style, but what can you do. Can't wait to play it in two days regardless. Looking forward to seeing more about Torment, especially combat, even if it is TB.

KarmaCow

I haven't Planescape: Torment before, how much agency did you have and how interactive was the world/narrative? I backed the kickstarter for this but I had pretty much zero idea how the game would play.

zkylon

zkylewd
is torment still releasing this year? i can't imagine so if they're talking pre alpha with only a month and a half to go

I haven't Planescape: Torment before, how much agency do you have and how interactive is the world/narrative? I backed the kickstarter for this but I had pretty much zero idea how the game would play.
it's a regular rpg with main and sidequests and such

there's TONS of dialogue and dialogue options. you can really make yourself into any number of things

Zweizer

Banned
I'm all for sporadic voice acting in the IE style. There's a bit of an art to how and when exactly to use it though.

If I were to choose between watered down but completely voiced dialogue or sporadic voice acting but richer, more detailed text, I'll always pick the latter. I admit Planescape: Torment is probably the only game which I wish voiced dialogue was more prominent though due to the high quality of the writing.

RIP Tony Jay. You had the best voice acting performance ever.

Top Bottom