Toronto Coat of Arms: Old Versus New

Oct 6, 2018
This isn't exactly news, as the coat of arms was changed in the late 90s, but damn, what a contrast!

Old:

"Industry, Intelligence, Integrity"

"New":

"Diversity Our Strength"

With a First Nations person and a European, one a man and one a woman, the old one also seemed pretty "diverse" to begin with. I'm not against changing it (maybe Canadians wanted to tone down the British parts a little), but that new one! While "Diversity Our Strength" might have sounded cool and original in 1998, in 2018 it sounds like an empty platitude at best, or a phrase tinged with sarcasm at worse. "Industry, Intelligence, Integrity" on the other hand sounds like a tough, but attainable goal to strive towards, for both native peoples and immigrants together.

Any Canadians here who can give a little background info on this?

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Canada is a country founded by French and British. French Canadians absolutely hated when Anglos would force their culture on them.
You look at Quebec and it's a completely different world out there.

We were never "diverse". Just BS pushed by the Trudeaus to reinvent Canadian heritage.

Toronto's diversity is also overrated. It's a concrete jungle where everyone self segregates. It's the same thing when you look at the GTA. Entire cities that are actually dominated by one ethnic group (i.e Brampton, Mississauga, Vaughan, Markham etc)

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2011
Canada is a country founded by French and British. French Canadians absolutely hated when Anglos would force their culture on them.

We were never "diverse". Just BS pushed by the Trudeaus to reinvent Canadian heritage.

Toronto's diversity is also overrated. It's a concrete jungle where everyone self segregates. It's the same thing when you look at the GTA. Entire cities that are actually dominated by one ethnic group (i.e Brampton, Mississauga, Vaughan, Markham etc)
Well said, I never saw it that way, but you're totally right about the segregation of ethnic groups.
Brampton being Indian and Pakistani, Markham Chinese... What's Vaughn and Mississauga's dominant cultures? Vaughn's Italian or Jewish? Mississauga is also mostly Pakistani/Indian?

Apr 18, 2014
P-Town
Given that the new one looks like a cartoon for toddlers and the creed went from 3 separate but important tenets to one meaningless tenet but in the same amount of words I would say it fits right in with today's standards. :rolleyes:

Oct 26, 2018
New logo looks like someone drew it in the 1960s. lol

Well said, I never saw it that way, but you're totally right about the segregation of ethnic groups.
Brampton being Indian and Pakistani, Markham Chinese... What's Vaughn and Mississauga's dominant cultures? Vaughn's Italian or Jewish? Mississauga is also mostly Pakistani/Indian?
Diversity in Canada isn't so diverse as every politician says or it's image. And I am a Canadian.

As you guys said, ethnic groups seem to group together in a small number of big cities.... mainly Toronto (and the GTA), Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary and Ottawa.

Toronto and Vancouver are roughly 50-50 white/minority. Some other big cities are 70-30 white/minority. And the further you get away from some metro areas it can literally be 95-5.

According to wiki's latest Canada 2016 demographics, Canada is 73% white, 5% Native and 22% Non-Native minority. Not much different than USA's 75-25% white/minorty ratio.

All you have to do is drive up the 400 to Barrie Ontario like 40 minutes away and from multicultural Toronto you get a town that's 90% white people. And the further you go north, the more it closes in on 100%.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018

Exactly.

Remember the Quebec referendum when Quebeckers voted whether they wanted to stay in Canada or split into it's own country?

The No Vote (stay in Canada) won by 50.50% to 49.50%. So basically half of Quebec people wanted to become their own nation telling the rest of Canada to fuck off.

So much for being one country where everyone gets along. lol

Jul 5, 2018
Exactly.

Remember the Quebec referendum when Quebeckers voted whether they wanted to stay in Canada or split into it's own country?

The No Vote (stay in Canada) won by 50.50% to 49.50%. So basically half of Quebec people wanted to become their own nation telling the rest of Canada to fuck off.

So much for being one country where everyone gets along. lol
As a English Quebecker here I could tell you why....

Jul 5, 2018
Please. I wouldn't mind your view on the whole thing.

Too lazy to read a big wikipedia on it.
Basically the French Quebeckers think a language is the only thing that constitutes a culture...so whenever their language is put into any position where it's not favorable...they throw a fissy fit...its why we got these people called language police...where they go around hassling people's sign if the English on is too "big".

basically we are the "french" Canadians...and that is all....and it's super important!

May 17, 2012
Canada
The original coat of arms looks more diverse. You have a first nations male and a woman with a trident along with a beaver. The new one looks like a Nazi bird ruling over some off-brand Pixar animals that have been subjugated with those exploding collars from The Running Man.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2013
The original coat of arms looks more diverse. You have a first nations male and a woman with a trident along with a beaver. The new one looks like a Nazi bird ruling over some off-brand Pixar animals that have been subjugated with those exploding collars from The Running Man.
And the poor baby seals are excluded since they are baton fodder in the end. :(

Oct 6, 2018
Seems like something rightist would get triggered by so I'll take it as a win.
It would be pretty pathetic to get triggered over a 20 year old change to a coats of arms in a city where you don't even live, so it's good that no one is getting triggered and that we're just having a good-natured laugh over an awful design. I initially thought it might be the creation of an alt-right troll and felt it necessary to confirm its authenticity before posting it here, but nope, the great city of Toronto actually chose that as their new coat of arms :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Now, if somebody really wanted to design a "triggering" new coat of arms for Toronto in 2018, imagine this:
Jordan Peterson on the left side of the shield, a giant lobster on the right. JP could be holding a copy of 12 "Rules for Life" under his free arm, the lobster a plate of steak (to represent JP's meat diet). As for what could be on the shield, I'll let others more familiar with JP's ideas chip in (maybe one quarter of it could be taken up with the Youtube logo, given who influential it has been for him).

Apr 25, 2009
Australia
New logo looks like someone drew it in the 1960s. lol

Diversity in Canada isn't so diverse as every politician says or it's image. And I am a Canadian.

As you guys said, ethnic groups seem to group together in a small number of big cities.... mainly Toronto (and the GTA), Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary and Ottawa.

Toronto and Vancouver are roughly 50-50 white/minority. Some other big cities are 70-30 white/minority. And the further you get away from some metro areas it can literally be 95-5.

According to wiki's latest Canada 2016 demographics, Canada is 73% white, 5% Native and 22% Non-Native minority. Not much different than USA's 75-25% white/minorty ratio.

All you have to do is drive up the 400 to Barrie Ontario like 40 minutes away and from multicultural Toronto you get a town that's 90% white people. And the further you go north, the more it closes in on 100%.
If they’re 50% of the population, are they still considered minorities?

Oct 26, 2018
If they’re 50% of the population, are they still considered minorities?
Yes and no.

Yes, if individual ethnic groups are considered separate as no group comes close to 50%

No, if they are all lumped together as a collective whole.

As for overall Canada, wiki's 73-5-22 split between white, native, all other non-native minorites will take decades before it comes close to 50-50 in any way.