• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto International Film Festival 2011 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
more reviews! Stuff I have seen but haven't wrote reviews for: Extraterrestrial (no Timecrimes, but somewhat enjoyable), Chicken With Plums (loved this one, very inventive and great follow-up to Persepolis). Need to find time to write reviews of both. Had a fun time at the Fox Searchlight party, got to meet Richard Kelly and talk to the MMMM filmmakers before I interview them tomorrow.

descendants_610.jpg

A

Oslo, August 31st

A-

The Descendants (Payne is back!)
Death of a Superhero

B+

God Bless America (Bobcat Goldthwait's World's Greatest Dad follow-up)

B

Le Havre
Friends With Kids (featuring half of the Bridesmaids cast)

B-

The Odds

Tomorrow morning early: Rampart then Martha Marcy May Marlene interviews, possibly Damsels in Distress.

more reviews! I recorded two video reviews with /Film and First Showing if you guys follow them, Sleepless Night and Friends With Kids/Extraterrestrial below. Also saw Rampart (really disliked) and had a great interview with the Martha Marcy May Marlene guys.

sleepless2-620x312.jpg

A-

50/50 (comes out in 2 weeks, must-see!)

B+

Sleepless Night (awesome French action thriller. Taken fans will love)

B

Romeo Eleven
Friends with Kids (Bridesmaids fans will like)

B-

Extraterrestrial (Vigalonodo's Timecrimes follow-up!)

C+

Habibi

Shame first thing tomorrow morning.

Grimmy

Banned
Sarah Polley's TAKE THIS WALTZ was so insipid, simple-minded and unbearably estrogen-laced that I regret not leaving earlier and stayed until the end. Argh.

HEADHUNTERS was entertaining, but very commercial.

Best thing last night was the Locarno Film Fest party :)

Hot damn, Shame was the real deal. I think we are looking at our Best Actor w/ Fassbender, at least a nomination. He also has a very nice penis.

Expendable. said:
Considering this is less than half the films that are going to be announced, I think it is stellar. There are so many I'm looking forward to on that list.

Hey if I wanted to go to next years TIFF, how much would it probably cost me? Is this even open to the public? Or is it just for movie reviewers?

harSon

Banned
Expendable. said:
Hot damn, Shame was the real deal. I think we are looking at our Best Actor w/ Fassbender, at least a nomination. He also has a very nice penis.

Looks like Hunger wasn't a fluke, so Twelve Years a Slave should be in good hands. I'm surprised Steve McQueen didn't do Olaudah Equiano, he wrote an equally prolific slave autobiography and is also British. Would have been nice to see the British angle of the slave trade for once too. Only one I can think of is Amazing Grace, although that had a small part for Olaudah Equiano haha

Expendable. said:
Don't tell Gay-gaf. They will never shut up about him.

more reviews and stuff! And an interview. I also saw Herzog's Into the Abyss which felt like an extremely effective Dateline episode, but I loved it. Also Elles (Binoche good, but muddled story esp. in 3rd act) and Trishna (Pinto is gorgeous as ever, another good flick from Winterbottom).

[TIFF Interview] Director and Producers Talk ‘Martha Marcy May Marlene’

A+

Melancholia

A

Shame (my current favorite of the fest)

A-

Chicken with Plums (from Persepolis directors)
Wuthering Heights (Fish Tank director continues success here)

B+

Lipstikka

B

You're Next (fun horror flick!)

B-

Alps (it is no Dogtooth)
Kill List

C-

Twixt (oh, Coppola)

Quick

Banned
I just got back from Jeff, Who Lives At Home. It was pretty good overall, but I got a bit annoyed at the camera work at times.

I'll be watching Violet and Daisy tomorrow. Hope it's good.

Quick said:
I just got back from Jeff, Who Lives At Home. It was pretty good overall, but I got a bit annoyed at the camera work at times.

Nice, I'll be at that screening! I'm seeing Jeff on Friday.

Grimmy

Banned
My 2 favorite films at the festival:

Your Sister's Sister (Lynn Shelton) - never expected the Humpdays director to make such a beautiful, funny and touching film. Pitch-perfect acting and script.

The Deep Blue Sea (Terence Davies) - what a return for one of the UK's best filmmakers. muted yet passionate and powerful period film.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Quick said:

Expendable. said:

Looking forward to the impressions/reviews. I'll be seeing the film (when it gets here :p) regardless of the consensus owing to Ronan co-starring, but I am also most interested in seeing where opinions fall on Fletcher's directorial debut.

Grimmy said:

Your Sister's Sister (Lynn Shelton) - never expected the Humpdays director to make such a beautiful, funny and touching film. Pitch-perfect acting and script.

The Deep Blue Sea (Terence Davies) - what a return for one of the UK's best filmmakers. muted yet passionate and powerful period film.

Yeah, loved the former (except not sure about the 3rd act montage and the way Mark reacts) and the latter I'm warming up to. At first I thought parts were dreadfully dull, but I appreciate it more.

Did you see Shame? Probably my numero uno. I also saw Peace, Love & Misunderstanding which was a total piece of trash.

Meliorism

Grimmy said:

I loved Humpday! I'll be sure to check Your Sister's Sister out once it gets a release.

Grimmy

Banned
Expendable. said:
Yeah, loved the former (except not sure about the 3rd act montage and the way Mark reacts) and the latter I'm warming up to. At first I thought parts were dreadfully dull, but I appreciate it more.

Did you see Shame? Probably my numero uno. I also saw Peace, Love & Misunderstanding which was a total piece of trash.

I'm sure Shame will get released this Fall so it wasn't my priority. Prefer to see films that I can only see at the festival.

Today saw A LETTER TO MOMO by JIN-ROH director, which was good but will inevitably be compared to SPIRITED AWAY. Also intriguing is Nicholas Provost's THE INVADER. Nudity galore! Saw a few others as well that aren't worth mentioning...

Laughing Banana said:
The Raid, any of you have seen it and care to review it?

It had a single P+I on the 2nd day of the fest, so if no one's mentioned it then I think that's that.

Quick

Banned
People, you all need to see Violet and Daisy. Probably the best of the three TIFF movies I've seen so far (Moneyball and Jeff, Who Lives at Home being the other two).

I've got no clue when it's getting a wide release, but if you get the chance to see it at TIFF, do so.

Expendable. said:

Very cool. I was sitting at the front, so I was up close to the cast.

emacs

Triple Oceans said:
Hey if I wanted to go to next years TIFF, how much would it probably cost me?

prices range from $20 - $40 plus tax, per ticket. here are the single ticket and ticket package prices for this year. http://tiff.net/thefestival/ticketsandpackages

ticket package sales for the 37th Toronto International Film Festival in September 2012 will start in late June / early July 2012.

Is this even open to the public?

the Festival is open to anyone and everyone.

emacs

parasight said:
Bah I really wanted to catch Shame but I had classes on Tuesday. I'm hoping to catch 2 flicks on Sunday, any suggestions?

there are dozens upon dozens of films screening on the last day of the Festival. i suggest attending the free screening of the TIFF People's Choice award winning film at Ryerson Theatre (6pm). to get a choice of good seats i recommended lining up a few hours before screening time. the line will be outdoors; dress accordingly. the title of the People's Choice award winner will be posted on http://tiff.net on Sunday as well as being announced on Twitter. search the #TIFF11 hashtag or follow @TIFF_NET http://twitter.com/#!/TIFF_NET

CaptYamato said:
Expendable, how can you grade something a B and say it disappointed?

Because I would give Dogtooth an A and I was thinking it would be on that level. Alps is a fine movie, just didn't deliver as much as I'd hope. And I gave it a B-, unless you are referring to something else.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Quick said:
People, you all need to see Violet and Daisy. Probably the best of the three TIFF movies I've seen so far (Moneyball and Jeff, Who Lives at Home being the other two).

I've got no clue when it's getting a wide release, but if you get the chance to see it at TIFF, do so.

I take it Alexis Bledel wasn't terrible?

Expendable. said:
Because I would give Dogtooth an A and I was thinking it would be on that level. Alps is a fine movie, just didn't deliver as much as I'd hope. And I gave it a B-, unless you are referring to something else.
I was referring to ADM.

CaptYamato said:
I was referring to ADM.

Yeah, another one where with Fassbender + Mortensen + Fassbender, I was hoping for a knock out of the park. Giving it a B- and calling it a disappointment is fair, no?

Saw 5 films this year. Ranked in order:

1) 'Drive': Movie of the year.
2) 'Sleepless Night': 'Taken' in French, great action movie.
3) 'Once upon a time in Anatolia': Extremely plodding, simple narrative but breathtaking to look at.
4) 'Moneyball': Some good scenes with Hill & Pitt but overall, pretty meandering.
5) 'Cut': One of the most heavy-handed, repetitive pieces of cinematic shit I have ever witnessed. Never ever watch this abortion.

Quick

Banned
This has been bugging me since yesterday, but what were the songs playing in Violet and Daisy? I recognize and know the name of the one in the beginning, but the name escapes me at the moment.

I guess I'm looking for Expendable to answer me, unless someone else saw it recently.

emacs

36th Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) award winners

http://tiff.net/

- Best Canadian Short Film: Doubles With Slight Pepper http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2011/doubleswithslightpep
- Best Canadian Feature Film: Monsieur Lazhar http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2011/monsieurlazhar
- FIPRESCI (Fédération Internationale de la Presse Cinématographique) Prize for Discovery: Avalon http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2011/avalon
- FIPRESCI (Fédération Internationale de la Presse Cinématographique) Prize for Special Presentations: The First Man http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2011/firstman

- Cadillac People's Choice Award (Midnight Madness programme): The Raid http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2011/raid <-- as expected; awesome!
- Best Documentary: The Island President http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2011/islandpresident <-- about the president of the Maldives, an beautiful place to visit http://bit.ly/nDL4cp

** Cadillac People's Choice Award: Where Do We Go Now? http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2011/wheredowegonow <-- didn't see this coming

** free screening at Ryerson Theatre (6pm) today, 18 September. starting lining up hours early

Grimmy

Banned
Overall saw 45 films (not counting tonight's film KOTOKO, my last at the fest).

My top 5 favorite TIFF films (in no order, and doesn't count titles I saw at previous fests such as Berlin, Cannes, Locarno and Sundance):

Your Sister's Sister
The Deep Blue Sea
Wuthering Heights
Elena
Alois Nebel

Runner-up: Alps

Worst 5 films at TIFF:

Take This Waltz
Lost in Paradise
Jeff, Who Lives at Home
The Cardboard Village
Summer Games

Takao

Banned
/XX/ said:
Thanks Takao! Precisely I posted yesterday a reminder in the 'Summer 2011 Anime Thread II of IKUHARA'S RETURN, Penguins, and Idols' of this forum to see if anyone was going to attend the A Letter to Momo premiere (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30593024&postcount=1241), I'd really appreciate your effort in making a review of the film for everyone here, thank you!

Ah, due to my "vacation" I couldn't post anything here until now. I do want to say I enjoyed the film a lot, and if you'd want to read a full review of it (said review isn't the greatest admittedly) I posted about it on my blog.

Yes, this is the last time I'll pimp that review.

just posted my complete wrap-up including top 10 films!

The Best of Toronto International Film Festival 2011

Top 10 below, will tons more coverage at the link above, including over 40 reviews and a handful of interviews. Thanks for following for everyone that dug it!

50/50 (Jonathan Levine)

Chicken with Plums (Marjane Satrapi and Vincent Paronnaud)

The Descendants (Alexander Payne)

Into the Abyss (Werner Herzog)

Martha Marcy May Marlene (Sean Durkin)

Melancholia (Lars von Trier)

Oslo, August 31st (Joachim Trier)

Shame (Steven McQueen)

Whore's Glory (Michael Glawogger)

Wuthering Heights (Andrea Arnold)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom