• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto most youthful city in the world, global index says

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try and find an affordable home to buy in Toronto, or the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). My bro went to an open house yesterday at Yonge & 16th Avenue. A split, required lots of work, no furniture...asking for 525,000. Then their realtor revealed that the current owner bought it just last month for 470,000! The number of homes purchased for the sole purchase of flipping is preposterous!

I guess it depends on how wide your "GTA" net is, but I just bought a beautiful 5 bedroom, 3 bath house this weekend in Hamilton for 228k. 45 min drive to downtown Toronto (without traffic) or about 60 mins by train.

checks prices for housing and condos.... no thanks

if I really want to shell that amount of money for housing, I would go to an actual city that has actual culture like NYC of SF.

Toronto, lol. The housing prices are so over the top for what the city offers. It has a subpar subway transit system that is a joke compared to other large north-american cities with better subway/metro transit systems. Everyone is stuck in traffic over there, fuck dat

I guess it depends on how wide your "GTA" net is, but I just bought a beautiful 5 bedroom, 3 bath house this weekend in Hamilton for 228k. 45 min drive to downtown Toronto (without traffic) or about 60 mins by train.
But you have to live in Hamilton...

Lol jk I have a lot of friends in steel town and there are some really nice spots. A lot of really ugly smelly spots too have tarnished the name.

I'm curious what your house looks like now. Sounds nice.

But you have to live in Hamilton...

Lol jk I have a lot of friends in steel town and there are some really nice spots. A lot of really ugly smelly spots too have tarnished the name.

Hamilton is awesome if you're like me and want to live downtown in an historic, urban center but enjoy the cost of living prices of the suburbs. The house I bought would be worth well over 1.5 million in Toronto.

Most people that shit on Hamilton have no idea what they're talking about, although I agree there's still some really sketchy spots. Once the all-day GO Train service starts in a a couple years it's gonna explode.

Yeah that's not GTA. If I'm that far, I might as well pull Guelph/Cambridge/Kitchener to the mix. Sure, it's a 45 minute drive on a good day with no snow, but that shoots through the roof once an accident happen.

Yeah that's not GTA. If I'm that far, I might as well pull Guelph/Cambridge/Kitchener to the mix. Sure, it's a 45 minute drive on a good day with no snow, but that shoots through the roof once an accident happen.

I don't own a car, so I go bus/train it.

It's really not that bad and makes it just as much a viable option as Richmond Hill/Aurora/Newmarket/Markham/Vaughan/Pickering/Ajax where everyone else who wants to buy close to Toronto lives.

criesofthepast said:
I'm curious what your house looks like now. Sounds nice.

PM'd you.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
For amenities for youth, I still think Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong and I'm sure more places more places for the 20s crowd.

Unless you like independent coffee shops...Jesus do we have a lot of those. Goddamn town full of hipsters.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
For amenities for youth, I still think Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong and I'm sure more places more places for the 20s crowd.

Unless you like independent coffee shops...Jesus do we have a lot of those. Goddamn town full of hipsters.

You can't call Toronto a hipster town when Montreal is so close by

alterno69

Banned
I don't own a car, so I go bus/train it.

It's really not that bad and makes it just as much a viable option as Richmond Hill/Aurora/Newmarket/Markham/Vaughan/Pickering/Ajax where everyone else who wants to buy close to Toronto lives.

PM'd you.

Could you show me?
I have a sister who just moved to Toronto from Montreal, i live in Mexico but i've been considernig selling my shit here and moving to Canada lately. I'd like a nice and quiet place for my kids to grow.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You can't call Toronto a hipster town when Montreal is so close by
Hell, I think Montreal is definitely more fun for a single 20 something person.
Could you show me?
I have a sister who just moved to Toronto from Montreal, i live in Mexico but i've been considernig selling my shit here and moving to Canada lately. I'd like a nice and quiet place for my kids to grow.
All the crack a kid could want

Azih

Could you show me?

Canada is full of places like those.

BLunted

Banned
I can't fucking stand this city. Can't wait to get out.

Hamilton is awesome if you're like me and want to live downtown in an historic, urban center but enjoy the cost of living prices of the suburbs. The house I bought would be worth well over 1.5 million in Toronto.

Most people that shit on Hamilton have no idea what they're talking about, although I agree there's still some really sketchy spots. Once the all-day GO Train service starts in a a couple years it's gonna explode.

I thought about looking at Hamilton, just so that I can stretch I could stretch a buck. Thought go-train already had service to Hamilton, no?

I can't fucking stand this city. Can't wait to get out.

I thought about looking at Hamilton, just so that I can stretch I could stretch a buck. Thought go-train already had service to Hamilton, no?

The only direct trains from Union to Hamilton are during rush hour, the rest of the day the train stops just outside Hamilton at Aldershot station and there's a bus waiting there that will take you the extra 15 minute drive or so to the Hamilton GO station.

They're building a new GO station on St. James North that should be open in time for the Pan Am Games in 2015 that will offer full day GO train service from Union every 30 mins. It's a game changer for Hamilton.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
checks prices for housing and condos.... no thanks

if I really want to shell that amount of money for housing, I would go to an actual city that has actual culture like NYC of SF.

Toronto, lol. The housing prices are so over the top for what the city offers. It has a subpar subway transit system that is a joke compared to other large north-american cities with better subway/metro transit systems. Everyone is stuck in traffic over there, fuck dat

Why do so many Canadians who don't live in Toronto hate Toronto so much? I really love this city, and it's not like everyone has to love it, but I don't get the hate.

BLunted

Banned
The only direct trains from Union to Hamilton are during rush hour, the rest of the day the train stops just outside Hamilton at Aldershot station and there's a bus waiting there that will take you the extra 15 minute drive or so to the Hamilton GO station.

They're building a new GO station on St. James North that should be open in time for the Pan Am Games in 2015 that will offer full day GO train service from Union every 30 mins. It's a game changer for Hamilton.

Looking at a Schedule now, that has trains listed all day. Wouldn't really matter for me though, as I am a 9-5'er who works pretty much next door to Union.

Why do so many Canadians who don't live in Toronto hate Toronto so much? I really love this city, and it's not like everyone has to love it, but I don't get the hate.

I find a good amount of people in Toronto are less than passionate about it too (myself included). I've lived here my entire life and after a while Toronto just grinds on you. There's just way too many people everywhere, shit is crazy expensive and the public transit/traffic is horrible.

Looking at a Schedule now, that has trains listed all day. Wouldn't really matter for me though, as I am a 9-5'er who works pretty much next door to Union.

Read it closer. Outside of morning/evening rush hour, none of those trains go all the way to Hamilton. They stop at Aldershot and you need to take a bus the rest of the way. It's not that big of a deal, but it is a bit annoying. Those trains are also not express trains so you've gotta stop at every stop along the way which turns a trip that should take 40 mins into 75 mins.

Prax

Toronto housing prices are ridiculous if you want a detached home. Even if you want a condo, the market is crazy. I think I was lucky to get a condo near a subway stop for less than $150k, but it's still only 1000 square ft, I think. Definitely would need to move once a family is started in five years, but who knows to where at that point since I assume prices will still be sky high everywhere. XD

I love this city, but I'm not exaaaactly sure why it scored top points for appeal to youthful people, but I guess the combination of city-life, pro-hipster spots, cultural things like TIFF, safety, healthcare, and access to airports/transit let it float to the top.

the city is spread out, its subway sucks, its traffic sucks. housing is over-priced for what it's worth

Dies Iræ

I absolutely love living in Toronto. I moved here from Vancouver six years ago to attend UofT and this city blows me away. The discovery district, Kensington, the vibrancy of the downtown core... Toronto ranks highly in global research and innovation, it has huge influxes of global capital, and a wide range of knowledge industries (gaming, fashion, IT, finance). It's an incredible place to live, I honestly don't know how anyone could disagree when you look at the quality of life and opportunities available in most other cities around the world.

Dies Iræ;91300315 said:
I absolutely love living in Toronto. I moved here from Vancouver six years ago to attend UofT and this city blows me away. The discovery district, Kensington, the vibrancy of the downtown core... Toronto ranks highly in global research and innovation, it has huge influxes of global capital, and a wide range of knowledge industries (gaming, fashion, IT, finance). It's an incredible place to live, I honestly don't know how anyone could disagree when you look at the quality of life and opportunities available in most other cities around the world.

Seriously hardly anyone can fuck with our international cuisine either.

The citizens of Toronto feel a sudden sense of pride in their city. One that won't go away until the next list is published. Of course there's the chance they'll make it two in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom