• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome 2 |OT| I Came, I Saw, I Came

What kind of PC did you get? Im looking to upgrade, but I dont have a lot of cash to spare. I already posted in the new PC thread, but different options can't hurt
I've heard Total War games scale pretty well with lower end machines, don't know if that's true.

Lingitiz

I've heard Total War games scale pretty well with lower end machines, don't know if that's true.

It is actually pretty true. I played a good chunk of Shogun 2 on a pretty crappy ASUS UL80VT laptop and it ran okay. The frame rate wasn't great in the battles but it ran well enough for me to get the jist of it. Obviously not the ideal way to play it, but CA aren't lying when they say their engine scales well.

Arulan

I can't wait for this, to think we're already this close. I think I'll probably play as Rome first, after that I'm not sure.

Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes.

Almighty

They said that if you could handle Shogun 2 then Rome 2 should be no problem. Not on highest settings of course, but should still be decent.

I hope that is true, because my PC is towards the lower end of the specs they have listed and won't be able to upgrade until some time late next year.

valouris

BRING IT ON!

Tremble Romans under the might of my new 7870! (My old X4 955 shall pick up the leftovers though..)

P.S. Loads of PC purchases and upgrades going on for this game, good to see :)

JoV

Fantastic OT. I'm a little concerned with the change to single year per turn instead of seasons. Does that mean no more winter battle in the European provinces?

At any rate, I'm excited.

Senatus Populusque Romanus

It probably will be one year summer, the next winter. Would be really surprised if they have cut that out altogether.

Hope they have the guy who voiced Minsc in Baldur's Gate back doing the Eastern nations!

It is actually pretty true. I played a good chunk of Shogun 2 on a pretty crappy ASUS UL80VT laptop and it ran okay. The frame rate wasn't great in the battles but it ran well enough for me to get the jist of it. Obviously not the ideal way to play it, but CA aren't lying when they say their engine scales well.
So I can definitely run this with my laptop, I want to build myself a desktop PC next year.

Lingitiz

So I can definitely run this with my laptop, I want to build myself a desktop PC next year.

If your laptop has a decent CPU and dedicated graphics card, then yeah likely on low settings. Of course no one can say anything definitive yet since they've made some big improvements to the engine and the game isn't out.

If your laptop has a decent CPU and dedicated graphics card, then yeah likely on low settings. Of course no one can say anything definitive yet since they've made some big improvements to the engine and the game isn't out.
i7 3610QM + GTX660m, I think I'm doing fine.

Omiee

i got a 2500k and two 7950's

no rush to upgrade for this game right? I should be able to run it at decent settings?

Lately i have the feeling my cpu is the bottleneck.

So close! I'm really liking the differences between factions' units. They really seem to have nailed the looks of each faction.

Can't wait!

Lingitiz

no rush to upgrade for this game right? I should be able to run it at decent settings?

Decent? You'll crush this game. Overclocking would help of course. I plan to finally OC my new 4670K once I've had some time with the game.

Omiee

so i should be able to run this on max settings on 1080p?

Cant wait to finally play rome 2. Must have put more than 400 hours into rome.

bamboobimbo

Neo Member

Dude, I have a 2500k and a 6870 and i'm pretty confident on running it at high with some max and not dropping below 30 all that often. NTW and Shogun 2 run like butter.

Arulan

What about a Core i7 920 and an ATI HD5870? How do you thing it will perform???

You will definitely have to lower some settings, but you should be able to get it to run well. I would strongly consider overclocking your i7 920 if you haven't already though.

You will definitely have to lower some settings, but you should be able to get it to run well. I would strongly consider overclocking your i7 920 if you haven't already though.
Thanks!!! Do you think that the CPU may act as a bottleneck? I thought that the GPU would be more troublesome!!!
I'll do as you say.

Pallad1um

Great OP!

I had a blast with the original Rome, but now I will have to wait before buying this one. My laptop can't handle properly a game of this dimension, and I'm not really a fan of all this DLC. I guess I'll wait for a Game of the Year edition.

Arulan

Thanks!!! Do you think that the CPU may act as a bottleneck? I thought that the GPU would be more troublesome!!!
I'll do as you say.

Yes, I think a CPU clock increase would be the biggest improvement you can make (for this game), especially if it's still at the 2.6 GHz stock. Ideally reaching 3.8 or 4.0 GHz would be great, and it isn't hard to do on air.

http://www.overclock.net/t/538439/guide-to-overclocking-the-core-i7-920-or-930-to-4-0ghz

This is a decent guide to walk you through some of it if you're unfamiliar with the process. Make sure everything is stable after you're done.

Yes, I think a CPU clock increase would be the biggest improvement you can make (for this game), especially if it's still at the 2.6 GHz stock. Ideally reaching 3.8 or 4.0 GHz would be great, and it isn't hard to do on air.

http://www.overclock.net/t/538439/guide-to-overclocking-the-core-i7-920-or-930-to-4-0ghz

This is a decent guide to walk you through some of it if you're unfamiliar with the process. Make sure everything is stable after you're done.
Thank you very much!!! It still runs at the stock 2.6 Ghz, and I will try to overclock it but I don't think I will go for 4 Ghz. 3-3.2 Ghz will be my goal.

I am currently replaying the first RTW in an attempt to invoke some nostalgia and I am having a ball. Using the House of Scipii I have destroyed the Numidians, Spanish and Carthigians, helped in the destruction of the Greeks by taking their last big city on Rhodes(the Brutii ROFLstomped them), drove the dirty Gauls out of central Spain so that the entire Iberian region and it's wealth belonged to me and at the moment, am about to perfectly coordinate a 6 legion invasion into Egypt against the orders of the Senate.

My Faction Leader holds the highest position in the Senate, so I don't care, especially since I can take the Egyptian cities in the Nile Delta, Cyprus and Central Egypt in one turn whilst also killing the Faction Heir who has stationed his army outside Alexandria. For 20 years my diplomats have bribed Egyptian armies into disbanding and bribed Family Members into joining my side, I have spent too long planning this, the Senate is NOT taking Egypt away from me like they did with Macedonia.

Is it just me or has there been a distinct lack of media released for this? It seems like there are only one or two actual gameplay videos. It's making me a bit wary... :-\

Martian

Is it just me or has there been a distinct lack of media released for this? It seems like there are only one or two actual gameplay videos. It's making me a bit wary... :-\

There have been loads of vidoes of the game, a few had a thread in Gaming. Its not like the game is super high profile (AKA FPS shooter style) so it doesn't get that much attention. I remember little from the Shogun 2 release, and that turned out great

I got the TW games up until Shogun 2 at a steam sale but its so hard to get into. What I particularly disliked was that my troops in full muster just flee the battlefield. I'll give it another try, and september is one hell of a month.

Erdem

Banned
I'll wait for the reviews this time. I love CA&Sega for keeping this unique RTS alive, but they just can't get the AI right. I had high hopes for Shogun 2 but was disappointed by the cheating and unchallenging AI(most of the challenge came from them cheating as well).

Hoping they'll get it right this time.

Lingitiz

Great thread title, though I've always preferred the more subtle "Veni, Vidi, Veni".

I was gonna go with that, but this one was too much of a headturner to ignore. Definitely want to get more people checking out the franchise.

GAF seems to have a disproportionate amount of Total War players relative to the actual fanbase/amount of people playing it.

Top Bottom