• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Rome Remastered announced, releases on April 29th

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Created in collaboration with Feral Interactive, this comprehensive remaster allows players to relive this strategy game thanks to a suite of visual and gameplay improvements.

maxresdefault.jpg

Total War: ROME REMASTERED Key Features​

• Improved Visuals. Total War: ROME REMASTERED ushers the classic strategy title into the modern gaming era with full 4K visuals, native support for ultra-high-definition resolution and overhauled environment, battlefield, and character models.
  • New Gameplay Content. Wage war across new fronts with 16 previously unplayable factions to play on top of the original 22, and send the new Merchant agents on missions to establish lucrative trade networks across the map, buy out rival Merchants, and assert your empire’s economic power.
  • Modernised Features. Players can exercise more control than ever with new features such as a tactical map during battles, plus heat maps and icon overlays in campaign mode. Existing mechanics have also been improved, including an overhauled diplomacy system, wider camera zoom levels throughout the game, and camera rotation on the campaign map.
  • Improved Help Systems. A swathe of improved support has been added, including a redesigned tutorial, a new in-game Wiki, expansive advice and tooltips, and improved accessibility for colour blind players.
  • Cross-platform Multiplayer. Players can enjoy cross-platform PVP multiplayer between Windows, macOS and Linux, a first for the Total War franchise.
  • Complete Original Content. Total War: ROME REMASTERED includes the Barbarian Invasion and Alexander expansions in glorious new detail, and players will also gain access to the original ROME: Total War Collection (only playable on Windows).
RomeRemastered_2.gif

Gameplay with commentary (thx to DrJohnGalt DrJohnGalt for the link!)

PC Requirements:​

MINIMUM:
  • Processor: Intel i3 series | AMD FX-4000 series
  • Memory: 6 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 600 series (1GB VRAM) | AMD HD 7000 series (1GB VRAM) | Intel UHD 620
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 45 GB available space
  • Additional Notes:
    • * PC Integrated graphics chipsets require 8GB RAM, e.g. Intel HD/UHD series
    • * Estimated performance on Low settings at 1080p (66% gameplay resolution scaling) : 30 FPS
    • * Framerate may drop in large-scale, graphics-intensive battles.

RECOMMENDED:
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-4570 | Ryzen 5 1600
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 4GB | AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB
  • Additional Notes:
    • * Estimated performance on High settings at 1080p : 60 FPS
    • * Framerate may drop in large-scale, graphics-intensive battles

ss_b6eb84ba1301caa65a5ffccc568c0cd0c5fe80f0.1920x1080.jpg
ss_6db1660ca0f4429fd8027669136a01949171063d.1920x1080.jpg
ss_5c1fc7e99a02b0fbe62dce2a2b935a56dd0dd41b.1920x1080.jpg
ss_95c6bbd982f918198e01d461b5f118701af5316d.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I haven't played the series since Shogun 2, but I need to play some of the other ones.

So on a side-note: What are the best titles in the series?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Surprised they didn't do this sooner. In fact I'd probably believe someone if they told me they did.

They need to differentiate this from the pinnacle that is TW: Warhammer 2 by going in-deep on campaign map depth, including trade (merchant changes sound good) and building tech trees.

You can't match the excitement of WH and its heroes, spells and bazillion different and unique units and characters, so they should focus on other things instead of trying to replicate that.

HE1NZ

Banned
I liked original Shogun and Medieval a lot, but these 3D iterations never clicked with me. I just hate 3D world map.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Yes! Like the original better than Rome 2. Already pre-ordered this (it's only $15 now if you own the original on Steam).

The upgrades look good, both graphics and mechanics. Hope they add campaign coop.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I haven't played the series since Shogun 2, but I need to play some of the other ones.

I'd say Rome 2 (best TW imo)
TW: Warhammer 2 is also a good pick if you don't mind the fantasy aspect, it's a really solid entry.

The best title is the one with the setting you're in the mood for, unless it's the vanilla campaign of Rome 2, which is a complete trainwreck.

Gameplay is mostly the same since Rome 1 but each game and expansion has its own theme and gimmicks. Ship battles are pretty fun in the Empire games (it's like Sid Meier's Pirates! but pompous). Warhammer has fun units and a lot of variety. Troy has the best combat, battle maps, diplomacy and presentation.

Troy is the first time since Rome 1 it feels like they nailed what they were going for. The battle system lacks the variety of the main games but it plays like a dream.

Hnjohngalt

Yes! Like the original better than Rome 2. Already pre-ordered this (it's only $15 now if you own the original on Steam).

The upgrades look good, both graphics and mechanics. Hope they add campaign coop.
To this day i cannot get past the 2nd battle in Rome 2. Rome 1 was so much easier to start out. Game is amazing and everyone should try it. Even the music is awesome!

This sucks for me. I had bought the original back in 2004. I lost my disks. I seen this and got interested. Too pricy, not for release until end of April. So I go to get Rome 1 on steam. GONE. They took the game down. So I have no way of playing this. They lost a sale as I will forget about it real quick now. It was going to be an impulse buy. At least when Baldurs gate games got remastered they didn't remove the old games until the new was out.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters

1 - Warhammer Total War 1+2
2 - Shogun 2
3 - Three Kingdoms Total War

Skip Rome 2.

I see. Thanks for the clarification.
Sucks for people like me who bought box copies and they removed the ability to buy it in steam. I'm not shelling out 30 quid for a game that is almost 2 decades old. I owned the orignal, but can't buy the original on steam due to greedy pubs removing it from the store. GRRRRR..

Elog

if you like a fantasy setting Warhammer 1+2 are amazing titles with a huge amount of content.

if you prefer a more historical setting I would personally recommend Total War: Attila - best historical game they have made albeit one that is brutally apocalyptic if you play as Western or Eastern Rome.

Three Kingdoms is at least for me a huge let-down due to bland units and a map that contains too few strategic options.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
My favorite youtuber did a nice feature w/gameplay. He gives it top marks across the board and addresses most of the concerns I had about what things they changed. Now I'm REALLY looking forward to this!

This sucks for me. I had bought the original back in 2004. I lost my disks. I seen this and got interested. Too pricy, not for release until end of April. So I go to get Rome 1 on steam. GONE. They took the game down. So I have no way of playing this. They lost a sale as I will forget about it real quick now. It was going to be an impulse buy. At least when Baldurs gate games got remastered they didn't remove the old games until the new was out.

You can buy the original from CD Keys and other key websites. I think you can activate boxed copies on Steam, if you find one that's not opened.

Hnjohngalt

You can buy the original from CD Keys and other key websites. I think you can activate boxed copies on Steam, if you find one that's not opened.
The original without changes is in remake. So you are gerting old and remake with this new game. You can chanhe options to make it exactly like original

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

PC Requirements:​

MINIMUM:
  • Processor: Intel i3 series | AMD FX-4000 series
  • Memory: 6 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 600 series (1GB VRAM) | AMD HD 7000 series (1GB VRAM) | Intel UHD 620
  • Additional Notes:
    • * PC Integrated graphics chipsets require 8GB RAM, e.g. Intel HD/UHD series
    • * Estimated performance on Low settings at 1080p (66% gameplay resolution scaling) : 30 FPS
    • * Framerate may drop in large-scale, graphics-intensive battles.

RECOMMENDED:
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-4570 | Ryzen 5 1600
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 4GB | AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB
  • Additional Notes:
    • * Estimated performance on High settings at 1080p : 60 FPS
    • * Framerate may drop in large-scale, graphics-intensive battles

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Total War: ROME REMASTERED FAQ - Total War https://buff.ly/3aOYfRo

Kinda bummed they aren't planning on remastering Medieval 2. But I think if this one does well they will get it done.

Still, looking forward to jumping into this one again Friday! Can't remember the last time I actually took a day off work for a game release. 8-hour livestream incoming :)

LANGUAGES​

ENGLISH​

We’ve updated our FAQ with information about minimum/recommended specs, the Enhanced Graphics Pack, and pre-loading. We hope you’re excited for the launch of Rome: Remastered in just a couple of days!

DATES & GAMES​

WHEN IS TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED BEING RELEASED?​

Total War: ROME REMASTERED launches on the 29th of April 2021 at 15:00 BST.

IS PRE-LOAD AVAILABLE FOR TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED?​

Yes, you can now pre-load both Total War: Rome Remastered and the Enhanced Graphics Pack on Steam.

WHAT DO I GET WHEN I BUY TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED?​

You will get Total War: ROME REMASTERED, as well as both the Alexander and Barbarian Invasion DLCs. You also receive the Enhanced Graphics Pack to upgrade textures on the campaign map and in battles.

If you don’t already own it, you will also get the original ROME: Total War – Collection (please note that the original ROME: Total War is only playable on Windows; it was never released on macOS and Linux on Steam).

If you already own ROME: Total War but not the original Alexander DLC, you will also get that once you buy Total War: ROME REMASTERED (as before, this is only playable on Windows).

WHAT IS THE 50% LOYALTY DISCOUNT FOR TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED?​

We wanted to reward our loyal fans! For a limited time, if you already own ROME: Total War on Steam, you will receive 50% off Total War: ROME REMASTERED!

Simply go to the Steam product page for Total War: ROME REMASTERED and you should see the game available for purchase at 50% off. As per the Steam Play model, you will get access to the game on Windows, macOS and Linux.

This offer is available until May 31st 16:00 PDT / June 1st 00:00 BST.

CAN PEOPLE WHO OWN THE CD VERSION OF ROME: TOTAL WAR ALSO BENEFIT FROM THE 50% LOYALTY DISCOUNT FOR TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED?​

No – this offer is only valid for users who own ROME: Total War on Steam. Unfortunately, we cannot track users who own the CD version in order to offer the discount.

IS TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED REPLACING THE ORIGINAL ROME: TOTAL WAR?​

No – you can still play the original ROME: Total War and, if you don’t already own it, ROME: Total War is included when you purchase Total War: ROME REMASTERED. If you already own ROME: Total War, it will still be present and playable on Windows in your Steam library.

ARE OTHER TOTAL WAR GAMES BEING REMASTERED?​

We do not currently plan to remaster any other classic Total War games.

IF I PRE-PURCHASE TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED, CAN I PLAY THE ORIGINAL ROME: TOTAL WAR IMMEDIATELY?​

No, ROME: Total War will not be available to play until the release of Total War: ROME REMASTERED.

PLATFORMS & STOREFRONTS​

WHICH PLATFORMS WILL TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED BE AVAILABLE ON?​

Total War: ROME REMASTERED will be available on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

WHICH STOREFRONTS WILL TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED BE AVAILABLE THROUGH?​

Steam on launch, and the Mac App Store a few weeks later.

WHAT ARE THE MINIMUM/RECOMMENDED SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS FOR TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED?​

Our minimum specs are:
Processor: Intel i3 series | AMD FX-4000 series
Memory: 6GB* RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 600 series (1GB VRAM) | AMD HD 7000 series (1GB VRAM) | Intel UHD 620
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 45GB available space
Additional Notes:
PC Integrated graphics chipsets require 8GB RAM, e.g. Intel HD/UHD series
Estimated performance on Low settings at 1080p (66% gameplay resolution scaling): 30 FPS
Framerate may drop in large-scale, graphics-intensive battles.

While our recommended specs are:
Processor: Intel Core i5-4570 | Ryzen 5 1600
Memory: 8GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 4GB | AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB
DirectX Version 11
Storage: 45GB available space
Additional Notes:
Estimated performance on High settings at 1080p: 60 FPS
Framerate may drop in large-scale, graphics-intensive battles.

And our minimum specs for using the Enhanced Graphics Pack:
Processor: Intel Core i5-4570 | Ryzen 5 1600
Memory: 8GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 4GB | AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: Additional 30GB available space

WILL TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED BE RELEASED ON THE EPIC GAMES STORE?​

An Epic Games Store release of Total War: ROME REMASTERED is not currently planned.

WHY IS ROME: TOTAL WAR NOW UNAVAILABLE TO PURCHASE ON STEAM?​

We decided to remove the ROME: Total War purchase option from Steam to focus on the definitive version: Total War: ROME REMASTERED. The original ROME: Total War will still be in your Steam library, and if you don’t own it, it will be become available to you as part of your Total War: ROME REMASTERED purchase.

I PURCHASED TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED AND CANNOT FIND THE ROME: TOTAL WAR – COLLECTION IN THE LAUNCHER.​

The ROME: Total War – Collection will be added directly to your Steam library and not in the same launcher as Total War: ROME REMASTERED.

CAN I PLAY THE ORIGINAL ROME: TOTAL WAR – COLLECTION ON MAC AND LINUX?​

No, unfortunately the ROME: Total War – Collection is only compatible with Windows.

WILL THE MACOS VERSION OF TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED SUPPORT APPLE’S NEW M1 CHIP?​

The game supports it, but unfortunately the Steam client does not; as soon as it does, the game is ready for M1 support. Until then it will run through Rosetta 2 on Steam. On the Mac App Store the game will run M1 native from release.

CONTENT​

WHAT NEW FEATURES DOES TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED HAVE?​

Good question! You can find a quick rundown below – stay tuned for more in-depth information about all of Total War: ROME REMASTERED’s shiny new features.

VISUALS

• UHD resolution support
  • Updated 3D unit models and textures
  • Widescreen and ultrawide monitor support
  • Enhanced battlefield environments
  • Enhanced campaign map
  • Improved visual effects
FEATURES

• Campaign map overlays
  • Faction summary screen
  • Unit status displays
  • Enhanced camera and controls
  • New quick lists
GAMEPLAY

• 16 additional playable factions (38 in total)
  • Cross-platform multiplayer
  • Steam Workshop mod support
  • New agent: the merchant
  • New summary screen: the agent hub
  • Improved diplomacy
USER INTERFACE

• Redesigned UI and tooltips
  • Optional classic versus remastered rules
  • Improved sound mix
  • Added UI scaling
  • Enhanced iconography
  • Improved support for colour blindness
HELP SYSTEM

• Fully integrated game manual
  • Enhanced advisor messages
  • New first-time player advice
  • Redesigned campaign tutorial

WHAT ARE THE PLAYABLE FACTIONS?​

Base game:

• Julii
  • Brutii
  • Scipii
  • Macedon
  • Egypt
  • The Seleucid Empire
  • Carthage
  • Parthia
  • Pontus
  • Gaul
  • Germania
  • Britannia
  • Armenia
  • Dacia
  • The Greek Cities
  • Numidia
  • Scythia
  • Spain
  • Thrace
Barbarian Invasion:

• Western Roman Empire
  • Eastern Roman Empire
  • Huns
  • Goths
  • Sarmatians
  • Vandals
  • Franks
  • Saxons
  • Celts
  • Sassanids
  • Roxolani
  • Ostrogoths
  • Romano-British
  • Slavs
  • Burgundii
  • Berbers
  • Alemanni
  • Lombardi
Alexander:

• Alexander the Great’s Macedon

WHAT IS THE TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED ENHANCED GRAPHICS PACK?​

This piece of free DLC will provide UHD textures in battles and on the campaign map. It is offered as an optional download to keep the base game file size down. It is around 30 gigabytes in size, and available to everyone who owns Total War: Rome Remastered. It can be pre-loaded alongside the base game.

WHAT IF I DON’T INSTALL IT?​

In that case you will be running with all the Rome Remastered enhancements, but without UHD textures in battles or on the campaign map.

GAMEPLAY​

WILL TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED BE LOCALISED IN MY LANGUAGE?​

Total War: ROME REMASTERED will include full text for English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Russian, and simplified Chinese. The game will support full voiceover for English, German, French and Russian, and partial voiceover for Spanish, Italian, and Mandarin Chinese.

WILL TOTAL WAR: ROME REMASTERED SUPPORT MODS AT LAUNCH?​

Yes! A new mod support feature has been added and will be available from launch.

CAN I PLAY CROSS-PLATFORM MULTIPLAYER AGAINST OTHER USERS ACROSS WINDOWS, MAC, AND LINUX?​

Yes, you can! For the first time in the history of Total War, you can play multiplayer against friends and foes in Total War: ROME REMASTERED over three different platforms!

Last edited:
The campaign UI is bad, with the notable exception of the agent actions menu. It's a good remaster otherwise.

The soundtrack and old voice actors are still incredible. The units are so responsive compared to Empire and beyond! Only Troy sort of managed to go back to that feeling, and units still turn around faster and easier in the old games.

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Nice! I didn't mind the UI but the pathfinding is horrible. Also I still love the pre-war speeches too! That dude is awesome. He almost breaks character and loses it at one point when he's talking about liquid bowels or whatever.

fatmarco

Is anyone else having issues with the camera? The angle it's set at is completely broken as it's looking down vertically way too much.

I went and re checked the normal version of the game and its definitely not meant to be like this.

Top Bottom