• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: WARHAMMER confirmed (as use of 2012 license announcement)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorma

is now taking requests
Great news! The Total War series was obviously inspired by the two classic Warhammer games (of course, I'm talking about the immaculate Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen), so it's great to see it come full circle. I have faith that this is going to be quite a bit better than Mark of Chaos.

Those games were the first thing i thought of too when i read the thread title. Great games!

demolitio

As much as I don't care for Warhammer, I might look into it being a Total War game although definitely not at launch this time after FINALLY learning my lesson.

Hope they nail it but keep making historical games mostly.

finalflame

Gold Member
So, is this in the same universe as Age of Reckoning? Because if so, I am totally on board. My all time favorite MMO, ever, and my all time favorite fantasy setting. It's a shame the RvR endgame was so terribly broken and it failed. Still my favorite gaming experience to date.

demolitio

INteresting....you know what's next SEGA
Total War: Valkyria

You mean a Star Wars game to go with the new trilogy?

Hell, the LOTR mod for Medieval II was pretty damn good too. And Game of Thrones.

So I guess there are some fantasy settings I'd like, just as long as the historical games are still the main goal.

HariKari

A total war game on a sector/galaxy level for 40k would be my dream game.

Not super into Fantasy Warhammer, but it's a start.

There was a crazy ambitious Russian Warhammer mod for Medieval 2, which was really great (and a bit buggy).

Hopefully CA can avoid another buggy mess. Not buying it until I see the post-release reviews.

Don't fuck this up CA!

Moonkid

I've never really gotten into Fantasy but this might be the game to do it. I have the Age of Reckoning art book and it is gorgeous, a world I want to know more of for sure.

Kalamoj

Sh*t, I don't want to buy a new PC. Too bad I love Warhammer.
I hope they will use the recently started End Times story arc as background.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I don't think I can wait out the DLC releases for this one. The racial variations are going to make this supreme.

Great news! The Total War series was obviously inspired by the two classic Warhammer games (of course, I'm talking about the immaculate Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen), so it's great to see it come full circle. I have faith that this is going to be quite a bit better than Mark of Chaos.

My first thoughts too.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Sounds awesome.

Always wanted LoTR Total War as well.

Then you should play MOS (a Medieval Total War 2 sub-mod compilation for Third Age v.3.2)

It's a great mod, but the graphics are slightly outdated if you're fine with that. It's the best you'll get until CA/SEGA obtains the LOTR license to make a "real" total war game. It's possible this might never even happen.

Ikael

*sees the topic's title*
*reads "Warhammer"*
*gets uberhyped*
*realizes that there's no "40K" in said title*

:(((((

Mozz-eyes

Banned
No :(

The historical settings are the reason I love the series so much.

Worst news ever. I was hoping for Victoria Total War or something.

Bust Nak

Sega: Lets call it Total war hammer!
CA brand manager: Yeah, Total war: hammer sounds great.
GW lawyer: Sure, Total: Warhammer it is then.
CA brand manager: *glare*
GW lawyer: *glare*
Sega: Guys?

No :(

The historical settings are the reason I love the series so much.

Worst news ever. I was hoping for Victoria Total War or something.

I'm a little disappointed but will still play it regardless; I do love the current mod for Medieval.

Victoria Total War is something you're going to see on a new engine. That timeframe would be perfect to test a new Campaign model and introduce new mechanics. The battle system is getting closer to perfection but they really need to improve the campaign portion

cripterion

I'm confused by the topic, haven't we known this for quite some time? People were even expecting it to be revealed in it's full glory but it turned out to be be that Atilla game :(

Bust Nak

I'm confused by the topic, haven't we known this for quite some time? People were even expecting it to be revealed in it's full glory but it turned out to be be that Atilla game :(
What people did know, was that Creative Assembly has the Warhammer licence from Games Workshop, and an job ad on CA's page that mention a warhammer game. It was merely a good bet that it was a total war style game, up until now.

Falk

that puzzling face
You know, as cool as the strategic layer for Total War games are, I sure hope there's a set campaign or two thrown into the mix as well.

I kinda like the structured way that SotHR/Dark Omen's story unfolded.

dracula_x

You know, as cool as the strategic layer for Total War games are, I sure hope there's a set campaign or two thrown into the mix as well.

I kinda like the structured way that SotHR/Dark Omen's story unfolded.

Yep, me too. I hope there will be story mode.

Violet_0

Banned
took them long enough

magic will be an interesting addition to the games, as well as unique abilities such as resurrecting undead units, flying units and characters that can be equipped with a wide range of magic artifacts. These things could add quite a bit of depth to the combat

Makareu

If Skavens and Dwarves are playable day one, else day two to express my disappointment.
Also the amethyst magic needs to be as OP as I remember.

IpKaiFung

but at the Relic Gamescom party for the CoH 2 expac one of their fan sites went around to rather drink Relic employees, handed them a Warhammer 40K tank, and told them they announced Dawn of War 3, to half of them getting utterly horrified "oh god I fucked up" looks then snapping photos.

That was quite a big ruse constructed by one of the more infamous trolls in the Company of Heroes community. http://www.coh2.org/news/22726/gamescom-2014-milka-s-blog I know about this because I talked to milka about this before he left for Cologne.

That being said Relic are looking for a new Executive Producer amongst a few other interesting positions.

http://hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs/Careers.aspx?c=qds9Vfwt&cs=9myaVfwJ&

ShadowOwl

Can't wait for the same heavy AI issues that are part of every unpatched Total War game! Anyway, still looking forward to this.

Violet_0

Banned
I hope they keep the Always Strike First rule of the elves so I can charge a cavalry unit into the back of a elves unit with two-handed weapons and all the riders die before they get single a hit in because elves 'always strike first'

I've known this was on the cards for a while so I am surprised that it wasn't announced earlier. I am guessing that they wanted to give Rome a bit of space. I presume Atilla will be the final Rome expansion.

Ark

It may not be Empire 2, but I'm definitely interested in a fantasy setting for Total War. Colour me interested.

Dolor

The timing on this is strange though. I wouldn't think they would announce the game so close to Attila, so either the book shouldn't have had that line in it or the book wasn't expected to be released for some time....

Curious as to the timing of the game's release. I would love for it to be this fall, but realistically, it's probably coming around this time next year to follow the ~12-18 month cadence of the Total War games.

Can't wait for a DoW 3 also if that's in the works...

Jarnet87

I'm all for it if it results in a 40k game down the line. fantasy warhammer never appealed to me like 40k did but there is probably some cool lore behind it. Would hope the game has all the special characters.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Like a week ago I decided to see what's going on with Warhammer (I played when I was like 12-15) and it turns out that they've done something fucking crazy, and now the world is basically ending.

Empire
Orcs
Wood Elves/High Elves
Chaos
Skaven.

But Dwarves, Undead, Lizardmen, Dark Elves will obviously need to be introduced in expansions.

There are no Wood Elves/High Elves/Dark Elves any more. They're all united under Malekith the Eternity King (!!!), and Ulthuan sank and Naggaroth has been invaded by Chaos.

The Lizardmen have all fled to another planet (!!!).

Like I mean literally crazy shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom