• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer PC Performance Thread

Karak

Double post sorry!
Could be CPU related as the other poster mentioned.

It could be but that seems odd as I have a worse CPU than many reporting issues and a better CPU than some but it doesn't seem to hammer out. I just got done running through it and like I said in the review setting 1-2 settings down and I am getting 60fps. Perhaps a stress on the memory system or, and this is far more likely, something else isn't interfering with some of us and it is with others.

ISee

It could be but that seems odd as I have a worse CPU than many reporting issues and a better CPU than some but it doesn't seem to hammer out. I just got done running through it and like I said in the review setting 1-2 settings down and I am getting 60fps. Perhaps a stress on the memory system or, and this is far more likely, something else isn't interfering with some of us and it is with others.

Actually your CPU is quiet powerful and the i7 5xxx series still offers intels high end stuff (soon to be replaced by broadwell-e, starting with the 6800). Granted it's only running at 3.7ghz but ghz isn't all. You have 2 more cores (6) then the majority (4) and hyper threading. In total your CPU is able to handle 12 threads, to give you a comparison the newest skylake i7 6700k is only able to handle 8 threads (4 cores + HTT).
Skylake may have the better IPC performance (Instructions per clock) and the higher clockspeed but if they really managed to improve multithreading your i7s ability to handle even more threads than an 6700k could easily make up for that.

And sorry if I went into to many details here, but most people reporting issues seem to be on i5s with 'just' the ability to handle 4 threads. And I'm not saying that I'm okay with the game running worse on i5s! It just seems to be the repeating pattern here...

A.Romero

I5 3570k oced to 4.2 ghz and gtx 970 g1 here.

I'm running everything in ultra and the game goes from 45 to 30 fps in battles. Smooth enough for me for this kind of map.

Overworld is totally smooth.

Load times are very short with an ssd. It's the first total war game that I play with an ssd and it is a huge difference.

Only played about 3 or 4 hours but I'm loving it.

Zunja

I to get it stable and with the max unit sizes I have to run it on low which still looks good. Maybe it's time to think about upgrading my amd 6900

Karak

Actually your CPU is quiet powerful and the i7 5xxx series still offers intels high end stuff (soon to be replaced by broadwell-e, starting with the 6800). Granted it's only running at 3.7ghz but ghz isn't all. You have 2 more cores (6) then the majority (4) and hyper threading. In total your CPU is able to handle 12 threads, to give you a comparison the newest skylake i7 6700k is only able to handle 8 threads (4 cores + HTT).
Skylake may have the better IPC performance (Instructions per clock) and the higher clockspeed but if they really managed to improve multithreading your i7s ability to handle even more threads than an 6700k could easily make up for that.

And sorry if I went into to many details here, but most people reporting issues seem to be on i5s with 'just' the ability to handle 4 threads. And I'm not saying that I'm okay with the game running worse on i5s! It just seems to be the repeating pattern here...
Actually all folks I know who reported issues have better CPU's and speeds than I do. Thats what I was indicating Pretty straight forward more powerful ones for example.
But maybe some patches will get this running better

Stevey

On the overworld when the AI is taking its turns, my FPS can drop to like 10, its fine when I'm moving around and what not.
Is this normal?

Rizzi

Seems to run okay on my i5 4460 and 970. Might lock it to 30 fps though. Battles fluctuate enough to annoy me.

Airbar

Neo Member
any impressions on how this handles on an amd 7870?

D689F8C7ABB66116C6FBC4A2887AA50832B98A89

Recommended settings, mostly getting 35 to 50 FPS in battles, depending on the map. Campaign map is hit or miss but mostly around 40 to 45 FPS. I'm actually amazed this game runs better than TW:Shogun 2.

Any update on the SLI situation? It seems like my SLI 680's should be doing better than they are, but one isn't getting used at all.

Seems weird for them to make multi-threading for CPU a focus, and then now ensure SLI is working GPU side. :p

Any update on the SLI situation? It seems like my SLI 680's should be doing better than they are, but one isn't getting used at all.

Seems weird for them to make multi-threading for CPU a focus, and then now ensure SLI is working GPU side. :p

i think it took around a year to get barely working, bad scaling and buggy sli support in the previous total war game

Profanity

Has anyone else noticed that the AF options don't work at all? Even on x16, it appears to just be trilinear in-game. Really muddy. Forcing through the NVCP brings about pretty large FPS hits unfortunately.

Atilac

Recommended settings, mostly getting 35 to 50 FPS in battles, depending on the map. Campaign map is hit or miss but mostly around 40 to 45 FPS. I'm actually amazed this game runs better than TW:Shogun 2.

My CPU is an AMD phenom II x4 so medium plus some high settings are better for me, campaign map is good until you discover a ton of stuff than it becomes as bad as rome 2's campaign map.

ISee

New DX12 (preview!) benchmarks and some infos:

- The DX12 build will use asynchronous Compute in some form.
- Multi-GPU support, so no need for SLI/Cross-Fire. You will be even able to mix NVIDIA/AMD cards.
- the dx12 build refuses to work with 'older' cards based on nvidias kepler and amds gcn 1.0 architecture. Maxwell v1 (aka 750ti) also doesn't work.

source (german)

edit: To be honest I'm more interested in CPU dx11 vs dx12 benchmarks. Just out of curiosity.

ISee

So DX12 won't work with my 780?

Seems so.
The 770,780,780Ti, HD 7970 = R9 280X and HD 7950 = R9 280 didn't work (according to pcgh.de). No idea if this is because of an unfinished build, driver support or because the kepler and gcn1.0 architecture is missing some stuff that is important for this particular game build.

That sucks.

Yeah it does :(

Seems so.
The 770,780,780Ti, HD 7970 = R9 280X and HD 7950 = R9 280 didn't work (according to pcgh.de). No idea if this is because of an unfinished build, driver support or because the kepler and gcn1.0 architecture is missing some stuff that is important for this particular game build.

That also means that currently sold Radeon 370 (third rebrand of 7850) will not work in AMD sponsored game.

Lister

Banned
Seems so.

Looks like I'll be scrambling to get one of them founder editions 1080s. Was going to wait for non reference cards or a 1070, but my 780 ti sound slike a helicopter trying to take off on the campaign map at 2560x1440.

D689F8C7ABB66116C6FBC4A2887AA50832B98A89

Switch on "Unlimited Video Memory" and then report back, otherwise the game automatically downgrades you settings in battles.

ISee

That also means that currently sold Radeon 370 (third rebrand of 7850) will not work in AMD sponsored game.

Hmm you're right, I didn't even think about this. I hope that's just a preview or driver thing.
I also never understood the whole gcn situation. The faster and more expensive 390/x is based on gcn 1.1 but the 380/x on 1.2.

Looks like I'll be scrambling to get one of them founder editions 1080s. Was going to wait for non reference cards or a 1070, but my 780 ti sound slike a helicopter trying to take off on the campaign map at 2560x1440.

Founders edition = :(
1070 or 1080 = :)

Also just take a look at the Asus gtx 1080 strix

Stevey

That's a bit strange though as they already have a working FL11_0 path in the DX11 renderer - no reason why they can't reuse it for DX12. A beta issue maybe?

Yeah, I was sure that the card is technically DX12 compatible, so maybe it will get sorted.

Juanfp

How is the performace of the game with an 970m?

Edit: I mean a 970m not a 970, forgot the m. Sorry AndyMoogle :)

How is the performace of the game with an 970?

For me it's ok with high settings. I'm guessing it's my 2500k @ 4GHz holding it back quite a bit though. It never drops below 30 fps, but it varies a lot between 30-60. Probably averages 45 fps or so.

EDIT: It depends a lot on the map as well. This map I'm on now is pretty much a locked 60 fps, but it's a fairly small battle.

How is the performace of the game with an 970m?

Edit: I mean a 970m not a 970, forgot the m. Sorry AndyMoogle :)
I have a laptop with a 970m and it's not too bad. Certainly even large battles never drop below 30fps (usually much higher 40-50) and I have the settings at High or Very High with a few off (sorry can't remember which). The Campaign map takes more of a hit but again never goes below 30 and is usually in the 40s. I don't think this game is nearly as demanding as Rome II or Attila. They've obviously worked hard on the engine and it works well.

Just starting out in the campaign and the only thing that bothers me is that my lowest FPS with Ultra settings and Unlimited Video Memory is around 25 fps when zoomed in close to very close. Most of the time it seems to vary from 45-65, most of the time I can tell it stays on the upper end. Mind you these were pretty good sized battles but I've seen some battles with twice or thrice as many as I have currently. So I have to wonder how everything is going to work out frame rate wise in the end.

Hmm. Maybe my 2500k @ 4.5 ghz is finally starting to show its age.

Just starting out in the campaign and the only thing that bothers me is that my lowest FPS with Ultra settings and Unlimited Video Memory is around 25 fps when zoomed in close to very close. Most of the time it seems to vary from 45-65, most of the time I can tell it stays on the upper end. Mind you these were pretty good sized battles but I've seen some battles with twice or thrice as many as I have currently. So I have to wonder how everything is going to work out frame rate wise in the end.

Hmm. Maybe my 2500k @ 4.5 ghz is finally starting to show its age.

What does unlimited video memory do exactly?

What does unlimited video memory do exactly?

I'm not entirely sure, I've always heard it is good to enable if you have a lot of system ram and vram.

I have 12gb DDR3 system ram and 4gb Vram.

Framerate on the bottom end has improved, but so far it seems like it stays really high except for some minor instances and if you are unrealistically close to your units.

I got a pretty big boost to overall performance after that last patch in DX11.

My framerates across the board have improved on the top, average, and bottom end.

DX12 is terrible though. Which is expected on a 980.

dr_rus

I got a pretty big boost to overall performance after that last patch in DX11.

My framerates across the board have improved on the top, average, and bottom end.

DX12 is terrible though. Which is expected on a 980.
DX12 renderer in this game is essentially done by AMD again. So it's expected to run run shit on anything not from AMD.

Triteon

I gotta get back to this now ive upgraded. It was a tiny bit chuggy with my 970 i5. Lets see how it do against i7/1080. Its probably one of my favourite games of the year but damn that map would chug.

Top Bottom