• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Project Metroidvania game Gensokyo Night Festival announced for PC

Bullet Club

Touhou Project Metroidvania game Gensokyo Night Festival announced for PC

Due out via Steam Early Access this summer.

8kq7JKl.jpg

Publisher Playism and developers Vaka Game Magazine and tea_basira have announced Gensokyo Night Festival, a 2D action exploration / Metroidvania-style game set in the Touhou Project world of Gensokyo. It will launch for PC via Steam Early Access this summer.

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:

About

Use Suika’s powers of controlling “density” and “sparseness” to go up against all sorts of colorful enemies and gimmicks in this Metroidvania-style title.
Join the almighty Suika on her journey through the beautiful world of Gensokyo.

Key Features
  • Combo, shooting, and counter-attack action!
  • Two types of charge attack! Featuring density charges and sparseness charges, unleashing an attack while charging adds the respective properties of “density” and “sparseness” to the attack.
  • Power-based action:
    • Warp Shots – Suika uses her powers of “density” to move at supersonic speeds. She can fire a shot that will allow her to warp to where the shot lands. Move about the wide-open landscape with ease.
    • Controlling Density
The Awesome Characters in Part 1
  • Suika Ibuki – An oni with the power to control “density” and “sparseness.”
  • Rumia – A youkai with the power to control “darkness.”
Watch the announcement trailer below.

Source: Gematsu

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
This looks pretty cool. I think the sprites are a tad small I like them a bit bigger, but besides that it looks awesome

Holammer

Luna Nights was my first Touhou game and I loved it! Probably one of the best Metroidvanias after SotN.
This one looks different, more like Cave Story with the smaller sprites.
... SOLD!

dirthead

Banned
Particle effects, etc. don't fit in with the sprite work at all, and I'm really bored of the Japanese obsession with underage girls, but I appreciate that they're trying to make a real video game.

WindomURL

Some of the effects are really good looking and the combat looks intense... and it's a metroidvania, so I probably won't be able to resist it when it's out.

Holammer

I gave it whirl and give it an 8/10 in its current early access form. The protagonist seems to be a shitfaced (reeling drunkenly in idle animation) Oni tasked with fetching sake for a festival. Dialogue is whimsical and gets you in the mood.
It's not an actual metroidvania where you gain new abilities as you progress, here you seem to have all your abilities out of the box. It is very mechanically complex to the point where it's bewildering, but real Touhou fans probably lap that shit up. Even if it's very short, only 30 minutes of content, 40 if you explore and take your time.
The game is very demanding, so a potato PC might be unable to run it (there's a bunch of negative user reviews about that), even my beefcake PC got wonky framepacing in places.

Top Bottom