• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm having a hard time here as well, Banana. I really really want to put my time into Lords of Shadow 2 but I don't want to fall too far behind you guys. Well, I'm in phase 9 so there's really not much more to go, but still.

And finalizing my Mitama build last night felt like a gigantic victory.

Edit: YYYYESSSS. Killed another Edax on a whim and got my 2nd hornbit. JUST ONE. MORE.

Edax on which map? Just in case maybe the drop is related to the map or something like that.

Urrgh just need one.

yeah, I'll take a break too. Want to finish up P3P and play VLR and Danganronpa before FF X HD arrives.

I mean, I bought Bravely Default physical at the same time as Toukiden digital and I haven't even played it beyond just viewing the 1st cutscene. Need to work on that, hahaha.

Ogawa-san

I took a break from Ni No Kuni to start Toukiden. 150h later, if I stop playing I know I'm not coming back to platinum it.

So back to farming haku I go!

wilflare

AIs are generally useless against Bladewing :/ One of the most annoying enemies to fight with AIs.

Anyways, a couple things:

1. Fucking bloody annoyed by the fact that all I need to finish Tatara's questline is just one, ONE bloody Edax Hornbit but I defeated the bastard FOUR TIMES in various maps and yet it-just-didn't-show-up.

2, Thinking about taking a break for a while from Toukiden, to play Bravely Default while waiting for FFX/FFX-2 Vita to arrive. I am already at chapter 7 SP phase 10-1 MP and am a bit burned out right now, hahaha. I will join Toukiden GAF if I can get the chance though.

finally upgraded my armor to Cthnonian (missing the helmet for the fullset)
do you guys play with Helmet Display ON or OFF?

don't really like using enemy parts as armor (prefer slayer, veteran, etc)
but oh well... it seems like the best... better than Wave.. lol

loving my Sword (Masamune) lol its Precision is getting higher and higher with every fortify

Edax on which map? Just in case maybe the drop is related to the map or something like that.

Urrgh just need one.

I mean, I bought Bravely Default physical at the same time as Toukiden digital and I haven't even played it beyond just viewing the 1st cutscene. Need to work on that, hahaha.

Chapter 5 offline, Evil Gourmand.

Edit: WOOOOOOOO GOT MY LAST HORNBIT. SCREW YOU EDAX. NEVER AGAIN.

JimPanzer

yeah definitely get onto that, bravely default is awesome! played it last year when it was released here in europe :)

Hmm...

Well, I turned in the hornbits and then got a quest for 3 dreadhalf beards, which I thankfully already had, and that upgraded the equipment chest to the 500 maximum.

It's not giving me Tatara's final quest though. Guess I have to progress in chapter 6 until Sableblade actually appears offline. That's annoying, but I'm not maxed out yet in my materials box so it might be okay (492/500, lol).

crap I forgot this game was out...Whelp between this and MH for ps+ I will be good for awhile for this Genre :)

I wonder if there's an easy way to transfer my psp MHFU save to my vita, or if it's even possible.

If I can't, free or not, I'm not getting it. 500 hours is not something I want to redo.

wilflare

hmm any advice on what are the universal useful abilities/boost?

hmm I actually gave up Stamina Lv2 for Tranquility... hope I don't regret

Scher

hmm any advice on what are the universal useful abilities/boost?

hmm I actually gave up Stamina Lv2 for Tranquility... hope I don't regret

Tranquility very much makes up for the added health you could have had, as long as you're okay with moving slower.

Personally, I would say stuff like Expert Destroyer, Master Destroyer, and Swordsmanship (If you use gauntlets or have high precision) are pretty much useful for everyone. Other than that, I would say it's largely up to you and how you want to play. Look into taking boosts that increase the effectiveness of skills you normally use. I like essentially being able to outlast bosses, so I'm fine with sacrificing movement speed for more defense. I also try to take advantage of taunt, so I've taken skills that add effects to my taunt ability.

wilflare

Tranquility very much makes up for the added health you could have had, as long as you're okay with moving slower.

Personally, I would say stuff like Expert Destroyer, Master Destroyer, and Swordsmanship (If you use gauntlets or have high precision) are pretty much useful for everyone. Other than that, I would say it's largely up to you and how you want to play. Look into taking boosts that increase the effectiveness of skills you normally use. I like essentially being able to outlast bosses, so I'm fine with sacrificing movement speed for more defense. I also try to take advantage of taunt, so I've taken skills that add effects to my taunt ability.

thanks for the reply!
hmm. I'm a little lost. it seems that all Mitamas have the same action abilities?
for example, two of my ATK Mitamas have the same exact, Leech, Might, Carnage and Recovery.

the weird thing is one of these ATK Mitama come to gain Pursuit+ when it has no Pursuit action ability?

or am I getting this wrong entirely?

hmm. just hope a slower movement speed does not mean like less able to dodge

thanks for the reply!
hmm. I'm a little lost. it seems that all Mitamas have the same action abilities?
for example, two of my ATK Mitamas have the same exact, Leech, Might, Carnage and Recovery.

the weird thing is one of these ATK Mitama come to gain Pursuit+ when it has no Pursuit action ability?

All Mitama of the same type have the same action abilities. The only thing that varies between Mitama of the same type are the passive skills (which are incredibly important).

And you're going to get weapons that have more than one Mitama slot, which is why Mitama of one type can get skills that boost a different type's active abilities, because you can set, for example, a Spirit mitama as your main type, which gives you Pursuit, but then have that ATK mitama in a 2nd slot and it would boost the spirit mitama's pursuit active.
If you want to change your active abilities, you need to change type, not just Mitama.

wilflare

All Mitama of the same type have the same action abilities. The only thing that varies between Mitama of the same type are the passive skills (which are incredibly important).

If you want to change your active abilities, you need to change type, not just Mitama.

thanks! I was just wondering why my ATK Mitama had a Passive Boost for an Active Ability of a SPT Mitama
- I suppose this is to encourage experimentation with different combinations of Mitama?

Scher

thanks for the reply!

All mitamas of the same style will have the same action abilities, but they can still potentially give you boosts for a different style. The abilities you can activate will be based on the style of the top mitama placed in your weapon. In fact, despite having a defense mitama in the top slot, the boosts I get for taunt are coming from an attack mitama I have equipped. In the case of the attack mitama you mentioned, you would have to have a different style mitama in the top slot to take advantage of the pursuit boost (I believe pursuit is from spirit?).

Edit: Looks like I was beaten on that point.

Scher

Hey Scher, have you managed to bathe with Fugaku yet?

The boost you get from that is...godlike. It's crazy good.

What's the boost from him? I pretty much don't look at the boost descriptions since I'm mostly bathing to make Yamato and Shusui like me more.

What's the boost from him? I pretty much don't look at the boost descriptions since I'm mostly bathing to make Yamato and Shusui like me more.

Don't remember the name, but it makes gauntlets' circle attack even faster.

Like, from starting, it's like you're already at around 2nd charge.

Thanks! :) When it says that items are available in for exampe "Age of Yore", does that mean that the item is available as a ground pickup in every "Age of Yore" level? Or are you likely to find those items in more specific levels?
If it lists an Age, then the item can either be found as shiny pickups on that Age, or by sending your Tenko to that Age. The only issue is, some items can only be found starting at the higher rank/difficulty versions of those Ages and I don't think that item search tool specifies.

Edit: Scratch that. If it has an asterisk by the Age name, it's the high rank version. Otherwise, low rank.

how many chapters are in this game? (dont answer if thats a spoiler)

7 offline story chapters, 10 online non-story chapters.

test_account

XP-39C²
If it lists an Age, then the item can either be found as shiny pickups on that Age, or by sending your Tenko to that Age. The only issue is, some items can only be found starting at the higher rank/difficulty versions of those Ages and I don't think that item search tool specifies.

Edit: Scratch that. If it has an asterisk by the Age name, it's the high rank version. Otherwise, low rank.
Ok, cool, thanks for the info :)

EDIT: By the way, is there any info regarding how to get some of the parts? I mean, i checked one part and it said that you can get it on that specific boss, but after i beat it, i didnt get it. I know that you get (or can get at least) bonus parts for destroying all parts or beating a boss fast, but is it random which parts you get here?

Seil

Ok, cool, thanks for the info :)

EDIT: By the way, is there any info regarding how to get some of the parts? I mean, i checked one part and it said that you can get it on that specific boss, but after i beat it, i didnt get it. I know that you get (or can get at least) bonus parts for destroying all parts or beating a boss fast, but is it random which parts you get here?

For parts that can be purified, you have a chance of getting that part when you purify them. For minor parts, you have a chance of getting them as a minor parts bonus after the mission if broken. There are also parts that are only from purifying the corpse.

The corpse parts(and minor parts, I think x.x) can also be in the All Parts bonus, I can't recall if I've seen normal parts there or not.

Edit: There are also some generic drops like the thread from Manhunter. Also things like black sand, voices and soul crystals mixed in to make the RNG more evil =p

Shengar

I almost throw my Vita to the wall last night when I took Terragrinder and Pyrgrinder mission in 8-1 last night.
So yeah, anyone playing right now?

test_account

XP-39C²
For parts that can be purified, you have a chance of getting that part when you purify them. For minor parts, you have a chance of getting them as a minor parts bonus after the mission if broken. There are also parts that are only from purifying the corpse.

The corpse parts(and minor parts, I think x.x) can also be in the All Parts bonus, I can't recall if I've seen normal parts there or not.

Edit: There are also some generic drops like the thread from Manhunter. Also things like black sand, voices and soul crystals mixed in to make the RNG more evil =p
Ok, i see, thanks =) How do you purify the objects again? I forgot.

Doombear

Just noticed that the Gaf Google Doc shows Viper Queen's ele weakness as Earth AND Venom Queen's as well. Is that right? Kat's guide was showing Fire weakness for Viper and Earth for Venom.

I also notice that is the only Main/Sub species that have the same weakness other than the Harrow/Dreadhalf. Bout to fight Viper again any way but going to take Fire Bow this time and see how it goes.

Seil

Just noticed that the Gaf Google Doc shows Viper Queen's ele weakness as Earth AND Venom Queen's as well. Is that right? Kat's guide was showing Fire weakness for Viper and Earth for Venom.

I also notice that is the only Main/Sub species that have the same weakness other than the Harrow/Dreadhalf. Bout to fight Viper again any way but going to take Fire Bow this time and see how it goes.

I believe the gaf info is coming from here.

Kat's guide was operating off of armor values(in some weird ways on a couple I think)

Meanwhile, this wiki lists fire for Viper Queen's weakness.

I've been operating off the assumption that Viper Queen is weak to fire, myself. Viper is water based and Venom is wind based, so it makes sense for fire and earth to be their respective weaknesses.

I believe the gaf info is coming from here.

Kat's guide was operating off of armor values(in some weird ways on a couple I think)

Meanwhile, this wiki lists fire for Viper Queen's weakness.

I've been operating off the assumption that Viper Queen is weak to fire, myself. Viper is water based and Venom is wind based, so it makes sense for fire and earth to be their respective weaknesses.

I have editor access to the google doc. I'll fix it.

Ogawa-san

12min Chthonian Fiend offline required some... desperate measures. Water bow and a lot of knowledge.
4mwPq4S.jpg
Lady Shizuka has Knowledge 2, 3 and 4, it's pretty insane.

Talking about mitamas, I made a checklist spreadsheet compiling info from other spreadsheets. Using it I can see what I have and filter what I'm missing by zone, boss and whatnot. It's shared here, in case it's useful for anyone.

El_Pistolerio

Neo Member
12min Chthonian Fiend offline required some... desperate measures. Water bow and a lot of knowledge.

Talking about mitamas, I made a checklist spreadsheet compiling info from other spreadsheets. Using it I can see what I have and filter what I'm missing by zone, boss and whatnot. It's shared here, in case it's useful for anyone.

Just making sure, are the mitamas you get from "drumble" really come from drumbles? or Umbrapods.

Seil

I have editor access to the google doc. I'll fix it.

I'm not entirely sure it is weak to fire, I'm just assuming from the standard water/fire and wind/earth opposition in the game and the armor values. It very well could be weak to earth for some reason - I don't have fire and earth weapons of comparable stats to give testing a shot.

The water/fire logic is also thrown out for Frostwing which uses ice(water) but is apparently weak to earth. Both wikis appear to agree on that. And my earth bow definitely seemed effective on it haha.

So who knows. Could just be one of those unusual things.

Ogawa-san

Just making sure, are the mitamas you get from "drumble" really come from drumbles? or Umbrapods.
It's listed from drumbles but I've gotten mine from umbrapods. I think it's the same for all small oni, you could get mitamas from them but it's less rare from the "special" ones, like Aurwing/Pale Aurwing and Blazing Spirit/Shadow Soul.

I've left as is to stay consistent with the sources.

Shengar

You really manage to get them all? o_O
Astounding work, wish I could help you to fill with the passive skills.

wilflare

just to check
Knowledge only helps with Elemental Damage right? if I'm going for non-elemental attack, I should not be concerned?

by the way, is there a trick (?) to make the boss/fodder drop the item that you want? lol going thru the same battles again and again just for them to drop the item is hell lol

Seil

just to check
Knowledge only helps with Elemental Damage right? if I'm going for non-elemental attack, I should not be concerned?

by the way, is there a trick (?) to make the boss/fodder drop the item that you want? lol going thru the same battles again and again just for them to drop the item is hell lol

Knowledge only affects elemental damage, yes. More specifically, it gives you a static increase to your element(amount is dependent on level of Knowledge and weapon type - Knowledge 3 is ~37.5 points of elemental damage for bows). Two knowledge 3's + the 3x spirit boost lets an 18 elemental bow actually be over 100 haha. Only works if there's an element in the first place, though.

I believe Attack Up works the same way, but for base power.

Edit: Also, no, there's not really anything you can do. I mean, with bosses you can make sure to break the necessary parts, but that's all. There is an ability called Appraisal(It's Shusui's boost, probably also available from the offering box, not sure if a Mitama has it) that increases the odds of obtaining rarer materials when purifying and Greed gives you chance of extra items when purifying. That's about all there is to my knowledge. Besides the whole chapter/phase 1-5 and 6+ drop split.

Shengar

After I managed to breeze through Terragrinder and Pyrogrinder mission, I don't think I'll ever switch back from bow ever again.
just to check

Yep, you shouldn't concern with that. Which is why now I search for mitama with SPT Renewal since Abe no Seimei have Knowledge, completely go to waste because I'm using Nagi's bow that doesn't have elemental affinities.

ramyeon

Sure, i know how to pick up items, but i ment when you pick up a unpurified item. There is a trophy for this as well (to purify 10 items). How do you unpurify those items that you have picked up?
I assume you mean purifying impure items. Sometimes when you pick up a shiny object on the ground the name will be "Impure Object" in red. After completing the quest you'll be able to purify it at the screen where it records the items you picked up. They're pretty rare though. If you've played MH they're pretty much Toukiden's version of Rust Shards/Weapons.

Seil

Sure, i know how to pick up items, but i ment when you pick up a unpurified item. There is a trophy for this as well (to purify 10 items). How do you unpurify those items that you have picked up?

That achievement is for obtaining 10 Impure Objects. They can be picked up from the shiny spots on fairly rare occasion. They have a red name which makes it more noticeable when you pick them up. At the end of the mission, those items will be "purified" into weapons.

In general, the term purify is used for using R on corpses and parts, though.

Edit: Double ninja'd

wilflare

Knowledge only affects elemental damage, yes. More specifically, it gives you a static increase to your element(amount is dependent on level of Knowledge and weapon type - Knowledge 3 is ~37.5 points of elemental damage for bows). Two knowledge 3's + the 3x spirit boost lets an 18 elemental bow actually be over 100 haha. Only works if there's an element in the first place, though.

I believe Attack Up works the same way, but for base power.

Edit: Also, no, there's not really anything you can do. I mean, with bosses you can make sure to break the necessary parts, but that's all. There is an ability called Appraisal(It's Shusui's boost, probably also available from the offering box, not sure if a Mitama has it) that increases the odds of obtaining rarer materials when purifying and Greed gives you chance of extra items when purifying. That's about all there is to my knowledge. Besides the whole chapter/phase 1-5 and 6+ drop split.

thanks for all the replies guys! appreciate it.. and makes me appreciate the game mechanics more too!

for NPC boosts... how do we know that it's active? for example Shushui's Appraisal for instance.

Was farming Cimmerian King for Golden Blade...lo and behold...a Mitama dropped, Oichi! 3 more to go, to reach Saito Dosan..

And oh, I didn't get the Golden Blade I needed either. Back to more Cimmerian King farming.

Seil

thanks for all the replies guys! appreciate it.. and makes me appreciate the game mechanics more too!

for NPC boosts... how do we know that it's active? for example Shushui's Appraisal for instance.

They're bath boosts. So you have to manage to luck out and meet them in the bath while having the appropriate relationship level to obtain their boost.

Tatara can give you Armory or the weapon equivalent(Man at Arms I think?) which boosts the rate your armor or weapons "level up".

Shusui has Appraisal.

Shikimi gives Greed.

Yamato increases the chances of obtianing Mitama.

The 6 combat NPCs each give a bonus that affects their weapon type.

I forget Kikka and Yu's abilities =/

Top Bottom