• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tourette Syndrome Awareness Month (May 15-June 15)

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
As you can tell by my username, I have Tourette Syndrome. I was diagnosed in my teens and I'm in my mid 40s now.

Having Tourette has changed me in substantial ways. I learned to be more empathetic. I learned to be more humble. I'm not the smartest person but I accepted that I'm unique in my own way. Poetry helped me out A LOT!

That said... Is there anything you have always wondered about Tourette Syndrome? I'm willing to share whatever info I can personally impart having lived with it for over 25 years.

This is the documentary my friend made ... I am in it as well. For less than 1 a minute (LOL!) but I am at least speaking about my my experience. You can't miss me, I'm the only black guy in it actually speaking:

TourettesTable%201.jpg

TS-SymptomsList.jpg

Last edited:
What is your experience with it? I remember in another topic you responded when I made a joke about the stereotypical Tourette's random cursing. I honestly don't know much about it, beyond spontaneous repeated behavior.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
What is your experience with it? I remember in another topic you responded when I made a joke about the stereotypical Tourette's random cursing. I honestly don't know much about it, beyond spontaneous repeated behavior.

When I was a teen, I had my first episode... Non-stop ticcing (random and sudden motor and vocal outbursts)! It lasted for over 1 hour ... Imagine your whole body flailing while you're yelling and screaming at the top of your lungs IN SCHOOL and the clinic I was 911'd to. I was exhausted! And then it happened again the next day. My mom was strong for me because none of us knew what it was, though I had a suspicion it was Tourette because of an episode of LA Law.

Anyway... Over the years, I learned to live with it. Medication didn't help much (that's a whole story on it's own) but I learned to not focus on the reactions of others (that always made my tics worse). I relaxed A LOT after college as I just accepted it, even when others didn't.

But it's still not easy. Writing helped. Gaining real friends helped. They also helped with my anxiety and depression (and learning ASL, too). When I have the rare episode (like once or twice a year now instead of the once a month it used to be years ago), my friends and co-workers know what to do now. Take me somewhere safe and secluded where I can't hurt myself accidentally or hurt someone else (people trying to restrain me can easily get hurt... Even if they're usually stronger than me).

And I'm sorry if I came at you wrong for that joke.

And I'm sorry if I came at you wrong for that joke.

No worries. I just remembered it when I saw this topic.

It sounds a lot like epilepsy. I did not realize the movements could be that severe or strong. It is a lot to live with - I know somehow who can't drive due to their seizures. Is there any similar concern with Tourette's?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
No worries. I just remembered it when I saw this topic.

It sounds a lot like epilepsy. I did not realize the movements could be that severe or strong. It is a lot to live with - I know somehow who can't drive due to their seizures. Is there any similar concern with Tourette's?

I can drive. The tics lessen when you're concentrating on something. Like driving or writing a story. But my Tourette is isn't as severe as some others .. I know of some people who tic all day. I tic sometimes when I'm asleep.

That said .. I depends on the severity and frequency of the tics. I have maybe 3 to 10 individual tics per hour. So I'm on the mild side of Tourette. You wouldn't be able to tell with me. Some just can't stop ticcing.

A friend of mine made a documentary about his life (and others) with Tourette. Me and my ex are both in it (she also has Tourette).

Mohonky

You dont have the cursing side of it then?

Ive always wondered; with suffers who have outbursts of colourful language, what they would say if they didnt know those words, or eveb why for some people it can specifically be that they have outbursts of vulgar words (unless you're Australian in which case noone would really notice).

MayauMiao

Here is a video on various ways people display Tourettes

Ethan from H3H3 also has it too, although he said its rather mild. I never notice it until he made a video about it.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You dont have the cursing side of it then?

Ive always wondered; with suffers who have outbursts of colourful language, what they would say if they didnt know those words, or eveb why for some people it can specifically be that they have outbursts of vulgar words (unless you're Australian in which case noone would really notice).

I do. It's called Coprolalia. It doesn't present itself very often, thankfully. There's also a physical analog to it.

If Coprolalia is vocal tics comprised of inappropriate words and phrases, then Copropraxia is motor tics comprised of inappropriate physical actions and touches. I have Copropraxia tics, too.

It's embarrassing having those words come out in public. I even cringe when it's in private, too.

Mohonky

I do. It's called Coprolalia. It doesn't present itself very often, thankfully. There's also a physical analog to it.

If Coprolalia is vocal tics comprised of inappropriate words and phrases, then Copropraxia is motor tics comprised of inappropriate physical actions and touches. I have Copropraxia tics, too.

It's embarrassing having those words come out in public. I even cringe when it's in private, too.

Yeh I still don't understand though why the tics can quite specifically be inappropriate actions or words.

...…….and if someone was never taught any specific inappropriate words, would the tic just manifest in some other way?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yeh I still don't understand though why the tics can quite specifically be inappropriate actions or words.

...…….and if someone was never taught any specific inappropriate words, would the tic just manifest in some other way?

The way I learned it, if you think something is inappropriate, you say it. If you don't know the N-word or frak (you know which word I'm substituting), then you say another word you've heard that you know is inappropriate.

There's no conscious proponent to these tics. It's like the brain is working overtime and occasionally spits out cuss words or racial/ethnic slurs just to get them out.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Do people with Tourettes syndrome have tics when they are asleep or does everything just shut off?

A lot of us tic when we're asleep. I've been told I tic when I sleep sometimes. My son, my niece... Almost everyone who's seen me sleep has said that I tic.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Yes, it can be a simple single word... But more often than not it will be a phrase with a cuss word in it.

Most people with Tourette have SOME control over SOME of the tics. We can disguise a motor or vocal tic to hide the fact we HAVE tics or disguise an inappropriate motor or vocal tic into something else. Like change the N-word to nickel or a self crotch grabbing tic into brushing something off the pants. Hope that helps.

This show aired in the UK about 10 years ago and is a real life insight into Tourettes in Scotland.

It's very funny, mainly because of the aggressive Scottish accent, but also very real with raw emotions. It spawned a few classic quotes such as:

"your dogs got tits"
"fuck off nosey"
the main guy telling his dog to walk into traffic.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
I've had Tourette's since I was a kid with varying degrees of tics associated with it. I don't like to talk about it bcs there's still a stigma attached to it. I was born in the 80's and nobody understood it then they just thought you were a bad seed. I applaud your bravery Deaf for embracing it but I've never cared to.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I've had Tourette's since I was a kid with varying degrees of tics associated with it. I don't like to talk about it bcs there's still a stigma attached to it. I was born in the 80's and nobody understood it then they just thought you were a bad seed. I applaud your bravery Deaf for embracing it but I've never cared to.

The media (some movies, TV shows and comedians) have put it in a bad light. Like we're something to make fun of. Thankfully, there's been some who have corrected that. Like that movie with Gregory Hines and the one with the dude from Northern Exposure. There's a comedian with Tourette that is hecka talented... Samuel J. Comroe.

I'm sorry you went through what you did living with it. But I applaud YOU for having bravery to even talk about it a bit! I wish the normies would be more understanding (not the folks in this thread).

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I actually met a young kid I was invited to talk to at a local deaf school who has Tourette... He has "vocal" tics... That is, any words he tics, he signs or fingerspells them. I found that incredibly interesting.

Until then, I thought I was the only one who was deaf with TS.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Sure I can.

LMBO! I'm the black guy sitting on the couch in the grey hat (I got it at E3 2013 from Capcom's booth... The zombie survival game... Whose name I can't remember now)

ETA: it's about halfway through after the PA TSA ladies speak, I think.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
The media (some movies, TV shows and comedians) have put it in a bad light. Like we're something to make fun of. Thankfully, there's been some who have corrected that. Like that movie with Gregory Hines and the one with the dude from Northern Exposure. There's a comedian with Tourette that is hecka talented... Samuel J. Comroe.

I'm sorry you went through what you did living with it. But I applaud YOU for having bravery to even talk about it a bit! I wish the normies would be more understanding (not the folks in this thread).

I appreciate the kind words. People misjudge what they fear or don't understand. I've learned to be who I am and not give a shit if others accept it. Lifes too short to spend it trying to please others.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I appreciate the kind words. People misjudge what they fear or don't understand. I've learned to be who I am and not give a shit if others accept it. Lifes too short to spend it trying to please others.

AMEN, brother! Amen!

Do you ever feel or think an outburst is going to happen? Does listening to music help?

Yes... This is sometimes called a premonitory feeling. When you have the same tics multiple times over a long period of time, you can actually know which sensations coincide with which tics ... Thereby you can prepare yourself for it before it happens. Music sometimes helps ... I just have to remember that I can relax and that I'm safe. Anxiety can exacerbate everything and make it ten times WORSE than it should have been.

Thought it was great, man. 👍🏻

Good to hear! I'm glad you liked it!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

I found this informative page about Coprolalia (it's sourced as well):

Top Bottom