• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tower of Shadow (wii) official site opens

kenji

http://www.hudson.co.jp/kagenotou/

direct screens

33djtwo.png

264lwk9.png

9h76ft.png

w0m8i0.png

1zgx1tf.png

- pseudo-platformer
- reminiscent of Ico
- a giant tower sits in an abandoned land
- control the shadow of a boy as he tries to climb the tower
- walk on the shadows that platforms cast, and avoid the shadows of traps
- interact with shadows to move things in the real world (pull the shadow of a lever to move the real lever)
- boy has a black butterfly that aids him on his quest
- butterfly can move the light source to make jumps/puzzles easier for the boy
- no release date

looks really interesting :D

AniHawk

I'm kinda disappointed that it's not about Shadow the Hedgehog.

I guess I'll just have to settle for another platformer on a home console.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Until I read the quote at the bottom I was confused where the main character was.

I hope they change the HUD in the top right corner.

jay

I'm trying to figure out how the actual objects that aren't shadows could play into the game beyond providing an extra layer of visuals.

GeekyDad

Sounds like a pretty cool idea, almost like the game is taking inspiration from stuff like Shift. Is this to be a full retail game or WiiWare?

AniHawk said:
I'm kinda disappointed that it's not about Shadow the Hedgehog.

I guess I'll just have to settle for another platformer on a home console.
Yeah, they just keep on pumpin' them out these days, don't they? I just wish we could get a couple more shooters, I'm beginning to think no one cares about the genre any more which is just sad if you ask me.

Yeah, they kind of lost that special je ne sais quoi they used to have when 16 bit consoles went out of style, didn't they? But then again they seem to be getting along with Nintendo pretty well now so they might as well put a decent amount of effort into this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Looks nice, if a little bright, and I quite like the concept. Has a lot of potential, I say. Fingers crossed.

Insayne

Interesting to say the least...
If the game has nice puzzles and good jump'n'run elements to it, I could imagine dusting off my Wii.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Insayne said:
Interesting to say the least...
If the game has nice puzzles and good jump'n'run elements to it, I could imagine dusting off my Wii.
There shouldn't be any dust on your Wii, Little King's Story should be in it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
now that's something interesting. don't screw it up, hudson.

wrowa

Control the shadow of a boy? That concept sounds very promising and interesting. I don't like the look of the screenshots that much, though. It's obviously influenced by ICO and while that isn't a bad thing, Hudson's attempt to recreate that style looks kinda uninspired and bland. It misses what the style of ICO made great.

But maybe the game looks beter in motion. The Calling (the other new Hudson game for the Wii) looks horrible on screens, but the leaked videos are great.

ICallItFutile said:
I hope they change the HUD in the top right corner.
I hope they don't only move it to the right corner but make it also smaller. On the screenshots it looks way too big.

mclem

jay said:
I'm trying to figure out how the actual objects that aren't shadows could play into the game beyond providing an extra layer of visuals.

On looking at the third screenshot, part of me keeps thinking that you'd have to duck under those pillars despite them not being part of the shadow world. It could either be 'true' shadowing - so you'd just run past them with the shadow distorting on the way - or a variety of 'fake' shadowing, where the shadows apply to a plane and anything that blocks the plane would be an obstacle.

Either could be good, both could be interesting.

The light-source thing could be great since it'd affect the relative positions of platforms in the foreground and the background as they form shadows.

TunaLover

zallaaa said:
Wasn't there some kind of indie project with the same premises?

Capucine? It was more about interaction with nature, the enemies were shadows IIRC you defeat them using light powers. The art style is pretty reminicent, washed out tones and bright enviorements.

ksamedi

Hudson have been doing some pretty cool stuff on the Wii. This looks to be the coolest though. Definitely interested.

JDSN said:
HEY GUYS I HAVE A DIRTY WII COS I DONT USE IT COS ITS SHIT AND IM GONNA CLEAN IT TO PLAY THIS!

Well, it is proper hygiene to clean your Wii daily. Otherwise, it can become infected.

Looks really cool, actually. Hopefully it turns out to be really good :D

It does have a similar style to Ico, but I don't know if I'd compare the two hugely just yet. Can't wait to hear more about it though.

Top Bottom