• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TowerFall creator's new game Celeste coming to Switch / PS4 / PC

BiggNife

The way MS treats indies is nothing like it was during the 360 days, I work with indie devs with some fellow streamers and we've heard nothing but good things about Chris Charla and his ID@Xbox team.

Despite this game not coming to XB1, XB1 gets a ton of indie games. Hell there's like 6-7 this week alone.

Most likely this developer is prioritizing the PS4/Steam version, then Switch and will then release it on XB1 later. Maybe towerfall sold worst on XB1 (due to coming way later most likely) so that is their right and that's ok.

(just quoted your post because it was continuing the previous conversation btw)
Yeah, I don't think MS treats indies anywhere near as poorly as they did in the 360 XBLA days. I'm not even sure any of the people Blow or Team Meat worked with are at MS anymore.

I think it really just comes down to devs having to prioritize ports and these days indie games sell better on PS4 and Nintendo platforms than XBO. All there is to it.

unbiasedgamer

Neo Member
the cynic in me says that microsoft only changed their treatment of indies once they started getting their asses whooped by sony

when they were dominant in the 360 days they had no problem treating jonathan blow, team meat, and other indie developers poorly

i think the same thing is happening with sony and backwards compatibility on PS4, they'll make it a priority if they are losing and have to pull out all the stops, but since they're winning handily anyway, why bother

Rumor is that Nintendo's dev kits cost only $450. That really would attract indies by the boatload. I don't know what sony and MS charge. But Sony has the huge user base.

Beckx

TBH i think they were making a PS4/PC game, got excited (as gamers) when they saw the Switch, and decided to do that too.

Straight out of Towerfall. People, if you have not played Towerfall, you owe it to yourself. Especially if you have 3 other friends to play with

Or even just one other friend. The co-op mode is really fun, too. If you're on PS4, you can even use Share Play to play with your friend online--if you don't have a dodgy connection of course.

Platy

Oh nice, I thought it seemed familiar. Had no idea the Pico 8 game was from the people behind Towerfall.

It is because the pico 8 was from the GUY behind towerfall.

Celeste is from the dev, programmer, artists and sound designers of towerfall.

Just the composer is different (Alec Hollowa for Towerfall and lena chappele for Celeste)

Somnia

According to eurogamer this is coming to XB1 also, even though the website doesn't mention that. Wonder if they messed up.

CDX

Looks like it could be a good game for the Switch.

Calling it: When Nintendo releases the next 2D Mario game, they'll bundle it with a pair of special JoyCons that forego the analog sticks in favor of proper D-pads.

Call it the JoyCon Classic™.
I understand why the included JoyCon doesn't have an actual d-pad, so they can function as 2 separate controllers right out of the box.

The ProController is good, but you still don't have a d-pad while playing in portable mode. Nintendo needs to release a JoyCon with an actual d-pad on it ASAP. Yeah it'd be a niche accessory, but I still think Nintendo should make it. I'd buy it day 1.

DbaziNews

Neo Member
Celeste creator Matt Thorson:" The Switch version of Celeste has sold the most, and that’s what we were expecting. We feel like Celeste and the Switch are a perfect fit for each other. We are glad we launched on all consoles though, and we really appreciate the support we’ve seen across the board.”

Source

Top Bottom