• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toy-Sleuth-Age: Help me find this pedal car

Status
Not open for further replies.
FINDTHISCAR2.jpg

I had one of these back when I was very young in the late 80s/early90s. (That's me in the picture at age 9, I think.) It was THE coolest toy car you could ask for. My parents sold it long ago and I've spent YEARS trying to find another one to no avail. I have NO idea what it was called but my parents swear it was made by Little Tikes.

Awesome Features:

-Front Wheel Drive
Powered by pedals and thus vicariously the driver, this little car could pack some monster punch as long as you had the energy! A metal pedaling rod connected the two enormous front wheels on this amazing toy.

-Lever Steering
You'd use the levers on the sides of the car to pivot the back wheels. My dad remembers trying to figure out the ingenious engineering behind it but he never could. While driving the car around you'd press and pull these levers to power slide and direct the car.

-Plastic Wheels
PERFECT for drifting and burning out. Since they had NO grip what-so-ever if you started pedaling really fast, the car wouldn't move at all. Then you'd crank the levers one way and the car would just rocket off.

I have looked and looked, but I have never been able to find another one of these toys. Toy Wizards of NeoGAF, I am at your mercy. If I could find another one of these I would buy it in an instant. Even the schematics for the Lever Steering would be an amazing find, as I desire to build a much larger version that my much larger self could pilot. Not only that but my future children deserve to know the glory that is this toy car. I've searched Google, Wikipedia, the Little Tikes and Playschool (just in case) websites, looked all over pedal car retailer sites, ebay, Amazon... For the love of God there has to be someone out there who knows about this thing! Please help!

(And just because I know someone will ask, the foot belongs to my little sister, who I was pulling in a Cozy Car behind me - hence the rope tied around my waist.)

bjork

Little Tikes' website doesn't show anything like this, but it might be discontinued. But my searches turned up nothing. Could it be a different company? I thought maybe Playmobil, but those are all little figurines.

thomaser

The plastic looks like Little Tikes-plastic (yes, I can tell). If it's not by them, it might be by Tomy or even Fisher-Price. I've never seen that particular car, though.

It's definitely discontinued, and my parents swear it was Little Tikes. As a kid we actually had a shiiit ton of Little Tikes thing - not just this pedal car and the Cozy Car but also this enormous battery-operated train set. I doubt I could ever find THAT again, either. It was a black and red engine, a coal car, and maybe one or two other cars to sit on, and it had huuuge green plastic tracks. And we had one of those bitchen' Little Tikes fortresses too. The train has been discontinued as well with no photographic evidence on the web either, but I did find the fort.

product-5114129.jpg

While I did have lots of Playmobil growing up too, I know for sure this was Little Tikes because hidden behind me in the OP picture, on the back of the car, is this logo:

logo_littletikes.jpg

Quite possibly!

And to the poster who said they could tell it was Little Tikes by the plastic - absolutely. LT has a very distinct kind of plastic they use in all of their toys, you can tell instantly by sight or touch. I know for sure it was a Little Tikes toy, I'm just amazed that I can find NO mention of it anywhere on the internet!

HOWEVER! I searched Big Wheels and I came up with the Marx Toys Green Machine, which looks to use similar Lever Shifting to the Little Tikes car!

greenmachine.jpg

While the LT car was all one slab of plastic, it could have had similar mechanics inside it to make just the wheels pivot in the back. HMMMM....

bjork

I looked through 27 pages of ebay listings. I looked at tons of google image searches for different stuff.

The only thing I see that is close, is a little tikes pickup, and it's not even close other than being yellow.

History has forgotten my favorite toys. ;___;

There's not even a Wikipedia page for Little Tikes. WTF is that about?

Maybe I shoudl take this all the way to the top.. maybe I should email Little Tikes?

jpbloom1980

Neo Member
Are you still looking for this little tykes yellow sports coupe pedal car? Never seen one either and only found your picture and talk about it. I have one sitting in my living room if you are still interested. I have done research also and found nothing about this car.....

bjork

I looked at the OP and thought, "we had a thread on this EXACT car a few years ago, what are the odds?" Then I looked down and saw my posts and finally plugged in.

Alucrid

Banned
Are you still looking for this little tykes yellow sports coupe pedal car? Never seen one either and only found your picture and talk about it. I have one sitting in my living room if you are still interested. I have done research also and found nothing about this car.....

Four years later and it finally arrives.

Oozer3993

I had one when I was a kid. We might still have it sitting in the garage somewhere. It was awesome. My friend had one of those battery powered cars and I would absolutely smoke him in my pedal powered car.

Oh my God

So many emotions right now.

I have no idea where I'd put it anymore - in 2008 I'm pretty sure I was still living at my parent's house, they had a huge garage and a big driveway leading into a cul-de-sac that was/IS absolutely perfect for one of these things. But now I'm in a little studio apartment in Burbank, I barely have room for my bike.

I'm also absolutely sure I would never fit into one - that picture in the OP I'm around 9 I guess and I already look big for it - now at 27 I'm 6'3" and weight ~210lbs - obviously I'd store it for any future children I may have but what good is that? I want to drive it!

Do you have any pictures? Maybe we can figure out how the lever steering works so I could build one myself that could seat/hold me.

OMG I can't even believe you knew about this thread hahaha wow March of 2008.

Edit: Man memories flooding back right now. My older brother would sit on the back ledge since he was too big to fit in the seat and peddle it from there. Hahahaha oh my God I loved this thing so much. When you were on an incline and trying to start peddling against gravity, the sound of the smooth plastic wheels on the concrete totally sounded like a steam engine starting up - chhhk... chhhk... chhk chk chk chk VVRRRRRRMMMMMM

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh my God

So many emotions right now.

I have no idea where I'd put it anymore - in 2008 I'm pretty sure I was still living at my parent's house, they had a huge garage and a big driveway leading into a cul-de-sac that was/IS absolutely perfect for one of these things. But now I'm in a little studio apartment in Burbank, I barely have room for my bike.

I'm also absolutely sure I would never fit into one - that picture in the OP I'm around 9 I guess and I already look big for it - now at 27 I'm 6'3" and weight ~210lbs - obviously I'd store it for any future children I may have but what good is that? I want to drive it!

Do you have any pictures? Maybe we can figure out how the lever steering works so I could build one myself that could seat/hold me.

OMG I can't even believe you knew about this thread hahaha wow March of 2008.

Edit: Man memories flooding back right now. My older brother would sit on the back ledge since he was too big to fit in the seat and peddle it from there. Hahahaha oh my God I loved this thing so much. When you were on an incline and trying to start peddling against gravity, the sound of the smooth plastic wheels on the concrete totally sounded like a steam engine starting up - chhhk... chhhk... chhk chk chk chk VVRRRRRRMMMMMM

You have to take it, its fate.

Did you ever get over ET leaving BTW?

Holy... I had one of these! They were the greatest things ever and for years I searched for them afterwards but could never find one. Since I lived at the bottom of two hills you could climb one then use the speed to rocket up the other where you would pull a sick drift! These things were amazing. I remember just how hard it was to gain traction with them but once you did... Zoom!

Hope you score the car, OP! Then you gotta build a bigger version of it!

lol jpbloom. You gotta upload to an image hosting site...

No no no. Type exactly this:

QUOTE=jpbloom1980;39681230]
1tZtw.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Just add a bracket onto the beginning quote and a m onto the end of .com

jpbloom1980

Neo Member
think i finally figured it out omg!!!!!!!!!! never had this much problem posting pictures feel really stupid right now geeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom