• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toy Story in real time?? WHEN?!

Jea Song

Did the right thing
In 1995 the world of animation was forever changed with the release of Toy Story, the first ever computer animated feature film.
Since then iv always dreamed of playing a video game where the in game graphics were as good as those. Almost 15 years later have we come close? I still dont see a game that does this level of quality. Maybe uncharted 2, or crysis? But when will we finally see EVERY game at least look as good as Toy Story? Next Gen? Or have we achieved this already?
toy4.jpg

toy3.jpg

toybuzz.jpg

At what resolution, 4K? 2K? 1080p? 1080p ought to be possible this or next generation and probably possible with current top-of-the-line GPUs really. But what would the point be?

Blizzard

Banned
The problem is, you picked low-resolution, compressed JPGs of scenes that don't even look that good. If you had a 720p or 1080p capture from a Blu-Ray or something (if Toy Story is on Blu-Ray?) then it might help make your point better. :p

Elios83

I think there are already many games on PS360 which look more impressive than Toy Story 1.
Even Kameo/Viva Pinata/Ratchet and Clank compare pretty well with it.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I hate when people compare graphics based on stills. You can find bullshots in games that look absolutely unreal, but in motion is another story.

Dennis

Banned
Silly OP, havent you heard? Graphics don't matter anymore - they are are good enough and only nerdy hardcore gamers want better.

MrPliskin

Banned
While CG movies have the benefit of extreme resolution, lighting, and texture work, I would say that these games capture the look and / or feel of Toy Story perfectly

Ratchet and Clank Future Titles
LittleBigPlanet
Viva Pinata
Kameo

There are other games (like Gears, Uncharted, etc) that are all phenomenal visually, but comparint the art styles those are the only games I can toss in there, IMO.

DennisK4 - I would actually argue that graphics are at a point where they don't need significant advancement. I would gladly take a small leap next gen with a much lower price point and an easier development process.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think in a practical sense we are way beyond toy story graphics already.
Practical sense meaning the way things look, not if each reflection and shadow is calculated 100% correctly and everything running with 32x supersampled AA.

I'll never forget the issue of CVG magazine where they featured the first info on the PS2 and pictures from the first tech demos. A quote from one of the Sony reps at the press conference promised 'Toy Story graphics in real time!' or something similar. Good times.

MrPliskin

Banned
the_concierge said:
I'll never forget the issue of CVG magazine where they featured the first info on the PS2 and pictures from the first tech demos. A quote from one of the Sony reps at the press conference promised 'Toy Story graphics in real time!' or something similar. Good times.

I will also never forget when Microsoft (the name of the individual escapes me at the moment) said the exact same thing to CNET.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
John Dunbar said:
doesn't even look that good.
I saw it in 3D recently and I never noticed the ridiculous amount of detail put into it. That image really doesn't do it justice.

LittleBigPlanet gives off a very "Toy Story" feel, Sackboy's stitching reminds me of the closeups of Woody.

JdFoX187

Banned
I think the graphics themselves are there. What's missing is the animation. Short of maybe Uncharted 2, developers are nowhere near that level of animation in games. And really, it's not that practical. Animation can look as realistic as possible in movies because there's no interaction. Developers have to walk a fine line between superb animations and playability. I think Uncharted is the best example of that.

bengraven

If a dev was given years to develop it, and they only did real-time engine FMV, with no user control, perhaps George Lucas would be right and you could have recreated Toy Story on PS2.

Not likely. Let's be honest, the man may OR MAY NOT HAVE had some mis-guided thoughts in the last 20 years.

Has there ever been a game that used such heavy levels of anti-aliasing by default and still ran at a smooth framerate? Most recent games still seem to have lots of jaggies showing up.

Bit-Bit

bengraven said:
If a dev was given years to develop it, and they only did real-time engine FMV, with no user control, perhaps George Lucas would be right and you could have recreated Toy Story on PS2.

Not likely. Let's be honest, the man may OR MAY NOT HAVE had some mis-guided thoughts in the last 20 years.

We all know the answer to that.

LowParry

Isn't this some 5 year old argument that's brought up with any system wars topic? Looks like shit. Smells like shit. Must be.

Hazelhurst

magicalsoundshower said:
Has there ever been a game that used such heavy levels of anti-aliasing by default and still ran at a smooth framerate? Most recent games still seem to have lots of jaggies showing up.
Yeah, Toy Story has 100% smooth edges, as with any CG movie. Even with anti-aliasing, no game is that smooth yet in real time. Don't forget about clipping as well.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
In some ways no, we haven't gotten even close to Toy Story or any CG film's visuals - not just because of animation but the technologies in use are different. The kind of ray tracing, light rigging, reflections, and of course, epic anti-aliasing in non-real time CG production are nothing like game graphics.

Some day, we may have a form of hardware capable of doing all those calculations at 30 or 60 frames a second and the way game graphics are made will change.

For now, game graphics will never have the precise quality of CG because they simply do things differently.

Evlar

Banned
Xav said:
I just finished Uncharted 2 yesterday and I think it looks better than Toy Story.
I finished Uncharted 2 two days ago, I watched Toy Story 3D in the theater three weeks ago, and I think you're wrong. Toy Story looks like a film, it IS a film, and it's presented at insanely high resolution with vast anti-aliasing and a lighting engine that's still beyond the real-time capability current GPUs. Uncharted 2 is the best looking game I've ever played on many metrics but it does not touch Toy Story in any technical category except perhaps the use of water, which is almost non-existent in Toy Story.

Top Bottom