Toys, Board Games, Dice Included in Proposed Chinese Goods Tariffs

Sqorin Hammerfarf

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2018

Toys, board games and dice are on the list of Chinese imports that President Trump has proposed for additional tariffs of up to 25%. The list was released today by the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative. Trump proposed the tariffs after trade negotiations with China fell through on Friday.

Board games and dice are included under the subheading: 9504.90.60. “Chess, checkers, backgammon, darts and o/table and parlor games played on boards of a special design and parts thereof; poker chips and dice.”

Toys are under 9503.00.00. “Toys, including riding toys o/than bicycles, puzzles, reduced scale models.”

Public hearings on the proposal will start June 17. During this time companies and individuals can provide input on tariff levels to be imposed. Requests to exclude specific subheading will also be taken. The tariffs could be implemented any time after June 24.
I buy a lot of miniatures and board games, and a significant portion of them are done in China. The board game industry has basically been in a kickstarter bubble for a while now that has been threatening to pop for some time, and significant tariffs on Chinese-made goods could essentially destroy the entire industry. Chinese-made goods are been becoming less viable over time (recently, there was a Chinese-printed Lovecraft RPG that had all copies destroyed by the Chinese government), but a sudden rise in costs without a viable alternative could be a shock many can't recover from.

More than that, it appears that the list of imports also includes video game consoles, controllers, flat panel screens, and so on - right before the release of the PS5. The cost of consumer goods could skyrocket across all industries, and the immediate harm done could be catastrophic.

That being said, I'm overall in favor of moving away from using Chinese as cheap labor. It is not sustainable, and if China ever decides to go against the US, they've got us by the consumer products. The optimal solution here, I think, is that these tariffs don't go through, but the general uneasiness of foreign trade causes more companies to look into local manufacturing for their goods, which should ultimately create a more robust and sustainable market. Globalization was a mistake.

Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

Sqorin Hammerfarf

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2018
Easy. Don’t manufacture in China.
China has been undercutting production costs for decades to the point where most of American consumer goods are entirely reliant on China right now. I think India is becoming the new sweatshop country of choice, but it'll take some time before their manufacturing capabilities can handle the worldwide demand.

ssolitare

Manbaby: The Member
Jan 12, 2009

That being said, I'm overall in favor of moving away from using Chinese as cheap labor. It is not sustainable, and if China ever decides to go against the US, they've got us by the consumer products. The optimal solution here, I think, is that these tariffs don't go through, but the general uneasiness of foreign trade causes more companies to look into local manufacturing for their goods, which should ultimately create a more robust and sustainable market. Globalization was a mistake.
Before you get too excited, read this please.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Big-time blow to hobbyist boardgames. :messenger_persevering:

I've watched the current pipeline blossom over the past decade: Western boardgame dev gets idea -> Kickstarts idea -> cheap Chinese manufacturing builds idea -> boardgamers receive their game. The hobbyists even keep their own lists as to which distributors are good.

Adding tariffs will make most of these boardgame ideas financial untenable (until an alternative pipeline is found).

DKehoe

Jun 19, 2007
I hope this doesn't fuck over people whose Kickstarters have finished raising funds but are still to start manufacturing. I would imagine this could throw off a lot of budgets.

Reactions: DunDunDunpachi